• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed Releases Fall 2024 - New Gameplay Revealed | Xbox Direct 2024

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You know what I hate? When they film people from the side, talking "past" the camera into empty space. It's just pretentious and dumb. If the people are talking to me, film them straight on!

The game looks alright I guess. Nothing too exciting.

Stuart360

This was pretty captivating, but at the same time something about the combat looked off to me. Maybe it was just missing some "umph" or something? It's hard to tell. But between that and the NPC conversations, it felt like it was showing that it definitely needed time in the oven. Hopefully things look better at launch, I'd imagine they would.
Some of the animation looked off, especially with the monsters. I'd guess its not final animation though. Not that stuff like that really bothers me when i'm a massive fan of Elder Scrolls and Fallout lol.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This was pretty captivating, but at the same time something about the combat looked off to me. Maybe it was just missing some "umph" or something? It's hard to tell. But between that and the NPC conversations, it felt like it was showing that it definitely needed time in the oven. Hopefully things look better at launch, I'd imagine they would.

Looked like Skyrim combat to me.

FeralEcho

IT'S RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!!
slide away so close GIF
You Can Do It GIF by chuber channel

Dazraell

dude I know who obsidian are.
I was just under the impression they are making somethinkg like fable meets skyrim with a bit more action.
I get it now
Avowed is set in the same world as Pillars of Eternity, which is Obsidian's other RPG series. They will probably aim for a similar tone, although translate the whole experience from isometric RPG to Bethesda-like open world RPG

mortal

Gold Member
Yeah, it looks really good. People wanting a character action game should look forward to character action games. This is an RPG.
I'm pretty sure people will sooner compare its combat to The Elder Scrolls than a straight-up action game.
I also expect comparisons to Baldur's Gate III for the Role Playing potential.

nowhat

I wasn't talking about the game though, but about the devs talking.
Ah. The point still stands though, if they're being interviewed, or not directly addressing the viewer, it's just how things are shot. I don't make the rules.

Last edited:

CamHostage

This is what they revealed:

This is what we got:

Um, okay... turn the lights down and it's the same thing: an RPG with dual-wielding combat, one hand conjuring magic and the other wielding a sword.

What are you insinuating we were promised but didn't get, besides pitch-black caves and maybe voiceovers? All that 80-second teaser had was a castle and a flaming arrow flying past a canyon with some bearded statue (before flying into an Army of Darkness skelington, who I guess people just never noticed as being in the artstyle of the game?), and then a big dark cave. Seems like what people expect this game should be was based on their imaginations, not what was actually in the teaser; the teaser still had a non-realistic art style and flashy first-person magic/melee combat indicators. It'd be cool if this looked different and more aggro, I guess, but the idea that we were sold something completely different like the Dead Island trailer or whatever isn't much the case.

(BTW, Avowed has dark areas still. Black moody areas are still in the footage and screenshots.)

MiguelItUp

Some of the animation looked off, especially with the monsters. I'd guess its not final animation though. Not that stuff like that really bothers me when i'm a massive fan of Elder Scrolls and Fallout lol.
Yeah, exactly. Very true, lol. Those are the reasons I'm captivated at all, well, and because Obsidian.
Looked like Skyrim combat to me.
Very true! I hadn't looked at Skyrim combat in awhile, I guess I was just expecting more there. But hey, if it's fun, it's fun!

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I really loved Pentiment and Outer Worlds is my low-key fav among AA games, but everything showed about Avowed is screaming 'This is an AAA title gone horribly wrong somewhere in the middle of production and now we're salvaging the pieces'.

Still will pre-order it, I love Obisidian and their writing at the very least.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Looked better than the last trailer they showed to me at least. The gameplay looks fun, I like the dual wielding and loadouts.

Not sure if it’s a game for me but I’ll give it a whirl. I did enjoy The Outer Worlds a lot, although the humor was a big part of that.

Banjo64

cumsessed
How they went from the tone of the initial reveal cinematic trailer to this I do not know and frankly that shift makes this one of my biggest disappointments in gaming in a long time.

Is an oath, worth the weight of a crown?

Went from a single line of god tier dialogue to ‘lol there’s a zombie breakout’.

Fucks sake.

Last edited:

Puscifer

This is what they revealed:

This is what we got:

The crazy thing is that I wouldn't have even minded the art style they have now if that's what they wanted. But something about this 180 shift in tone and art just feels completely off. I'm sure the quest will be amazing, as they always are with their games but I'm definitely not holding my breath.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Have you watched it on a TV? It looks like a lot of the environments are super high quality.
Well that's a given as these livestreams didn't have 4k feeds. I should've clarified I didn't mean visually as in graphics, more so in its visual presentation and art design.
It's nothing I haven't already seen countless times before in some variation in other fantasy RPGs.

Banjo64

cumsessed
We have always known war.

It forged our empire.

Turned heroes in to Kings and Queens, and decimated our foes.

Now our oaths are lost, forsaken.

And you must face the monsters our sins have born.

Is an oath, worth the weight of a crown?

Such a shame they obviously had to rewrite or reconceptualise this game. I don’t know if the end product will be good or bad, I just know it looks very generic story wise compared to what was initially teased.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Based on what I saw, I wouldn't buy this on release day and wait for reviews and sales. I don't have faith in Obsidian's storytelling anymore, I feel like I'm not their target audience. A complete shame because Western RPG is my favorite genre of games 😥

sendit

Um, okay... turn the lights down and it's the same thing: an RPG with dual-wielding combat, one hand conjuring magic and the other wielding a sword.

What are you insinuating we were promised but didn't get, besides pitch-black caves and maybe voiceovers? All that 80-second teaser had was a castle and a flaming arrow flying past a canyon with some bearded statue (before flying into an Army of Darkness skelington, who I guess people just never noticed as being in the artstyle of the game?), and then a big dark cave. Seems like what people expect this game should be was based on their imaginations, not what was actually in the teaser; the teaser still had a non-realistic art style and flashy first-person magic/melee combat indicators. It'd be cool if this looked different and more aggro, I guess, but the idea that we were sold something completely different like the Dead Island trailer or whatever isn't much the case.

(BTW, Avowed has dark areas still. Black moody areas are still in the footage and screenshots.)
Chill. Look at the post history on this game. The segment I time stamped was sworn to be gameplay by forum goers. And sadly, it isn’t as simple as turning down the lights. This game looks like a mobile game.

Last edited:
This doesn’t resemble the initial trailer whatsoever…

It looks like the art style has changed, it’s way more cartoonish than expected. The enemies look clunky, plastic and poorly animated. They don’t even appear to react properly when attacked. The writing is much too ‘fun’. I’m at a loss as to how much different the tone of this is compared to the release trailer. Seriously, wtf is this???

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So far Obsidian rarely missed, even when it was with MS, so despite not exactlz digging it, I am intrigued. Also you wouldn't expect good graphics in Obsidian game, so why there is still surprised over how it looks.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Key art is amazing. Game art doesn't even come close, looks very dated to me. Like they wanted to go Avatar with the glowing things but then also real places?

Combat just doesn't have any impact, like you're shooting and hitting but there's a delayed response if any.

Top Bottom