• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed only lets you play as Human or Elfs

If you read the article they're extremely honest why they chose this. They basically don't want to waste resources on setting up 4 different tiers of camera perspective, hit detection and enemy AI for attacking and spend development resources to make that all look right. They're prioritizing other things.

In a old school low budget CRPG its much easier to just make a sprite and then that's the end of it really. Not much else changes.
Cool. Then i hope they're happy with me also shaving off some of the compensation so I can focus my money elsewhere.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Only thing that disappoints me about any of this is the fact that this was supposed to be Obisidian's take on Skyrim. Not sure if that comparison was ever really accurate or if some in the media made that up themselves. Either way, that was the expectation and this game is light years from that. So.....fine. Time to scale back my expectations and look at this game with a clean slate.

They themselves distanced from Skyrim comparisons a while ago by name, so if anyone was still doing that, it's on them

Zannegan

It's getting laughable at this point. I guarantee this is because they are being rushed to get this out the door.
I guess, but I don't necessarily mind an intentionally limited scope, especially if it gets the game out faster. Been waiting for a new Elder Scrolls forever, and I bet when it does come out it will have all the races and romance options that are missing from Avowed, but it will all be so generalized and safe that they'll basically feel the same anyway.

With that said, not having classes was a bold choice, and one I'm not best pleased with. Worst of both worlds--limited in scope but also general in execution.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Nah....Obsidian has some responsibility here as this game has been all over the place from the start.

I don’t see how they do. Things change during development and they communicated that change nearly a year ago.
I mean, this just seems like the good planning/management people keep demanding from XGS. They’re playing to their strengths. And it’s not a new concept that scope gets finalized during pre-production.

Cool. Then i hope they're happy with me also shaving off some of the compensation so I can focus my money elsewhere.

Everybody is perfectly fine if you don’t buy or play the game, tbh.

Their last game landed at 87 MC and nothing I’ve seen from Avowed has me worried or concerned.

You can try posting the review you read from the future where it was judged as ‘shit’

Good thing I own every gaming platform known to man, so I curate on quality. But you tried 👏🏽
Oh look at me i have black friends so i cant be racist.

You do you man. Ill vote with my wallet, sorry that bothers you.

Topher

Gold Member
I don’t see how they do. Things change during development and they communicated that change nearly a year ago.
I mean, this just seems like the good planning/management people keep demanding from XGS. They’re playing to their strengths. And it’s not a new concept that scope gets finalized during pre-production.

Well, I do. This is a game that I'm not sure the folks leading the way have ever had a coherent vision of what this was going to be. If you disagree then that's fine. Hopefully it is a great game either way, but my expectations are pretty low at this point.

Pejo

I feel like this game is poised to disappoint a ton of people at little fault of the devs. They aren't trying to make something on the level as BG3 or Elder Scrolls and seem to have been pretty clear about that, but people are still setting themselves up to get really angry about it.

I don't personally think it looks very good, but for a AA western RPG release, I've seen worse. Seems like one of those games to go in with low expectations and you might actually enjoy it. I felt the same way about Gotham Knights, coincidentally.

Everybody votes with their wallets when review scores show up. Take Redfall, for example.

Hey demigod demigod 👋
So whats your issue then? If you agree with my stance why are you so defensive that i stated that?

They keep cutting or not including content that is expected and you think it will review well off the hot releases of games like BG3?

Answer these simple questions.

Everything else being equal, would it be better if the game had 2 races or would it be better if it had 6?

Why?

Can a game with a good MC score still be shit?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
So whats your issue then? If you agree with my stance why are you so defensive that i stated that?

They keep cutting or not including content that is expected and you think it will review well off the hot releases of games like BG3?

Answer these simple questions.

Everything else being equal, would it be better if the game had 2 races or would it be better if it had 6?

Why?

Can a game with a good MC score still be shit?

the maddening thing there is that there’s nothing we know that’s being ‘cut’.

They’re making an RPG game without classes (not unheard of, not strange), they’re not designing romance in (design decision, not unheard of) and they plan only two races in the game. These are design decisions.

It would be better if Avowed had more than 2 races. It’s also probably not really that significant to most people, doesn’t break the lore, and will be a smart move if designing with only two races allows them to focus on making a great game.

I guess this was what many devs were saying last year about forced comparisons to BG3.

Phase

I've been pretty negative about this game so far, but mainly because I haven't seen anything that distinguishes it from other RPGs or action adventures. Other games I can think of do those things better. Mechanics and combat are most important for me, and it looks duct taped together. They've got ideas but doesn't seem like there is any clear vision. It's just loads of stuff to mix and match.

Not sure how long it's been in development, but it would be disappointing if it's indeed being rushed out.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
No playable dwarfs?

That's going straight into the fucking BOOOOK!!!

__original_and_1_more_drawn_by_bb_baalbuddy__sample-f809f3d00202f3a6947b10169094d006.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
From the reveal trailer I had high hopes of it being a skyrim dungeon thingy. But from the trailer it's not :?

The game concept started more closer to Skyrim but Obsidian didn't want that and changed the scope of the game some ways after announcement.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I was planning on being an elf anyways. This ain't Skyrim. Shit I was an elf in Skyrim as well...a female well-endowed and heavily modded elven goddess.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
The player in Avowed is a representative from the Aedyr Empire, which is predominantly made up of humans and elves."

That sounds racist to me. The Aedyr Empire is predominantly human/elf, but that doesn't mean there isn't a single dwarf living there.

I expected better form Obsidian in 2024.

Holy shit. Did ResetERA buy NeoGAF and nobody told me?? What's next? Complaining that we don't have enough trannies in the game?

Final Fantasy XVI said they weren't putting a bunch of black people in their FANTASY GAME because that time period and area in REAL LIFE didn't have a bunch of black people, and a ton of NeoGAF members defended that with their lives. "The vast majority of the population in this area is one of two races, so we restricted character creation to these two races." That's a legitimate reason. This is supported by the wiki for Pillars of Eternity:

RACE(S)​

That's not them making something up to fit some racist narrative.

Edit: Apparently this was sarcasm. Nothing makes sense on the Internet anymore.

Check It Out Tim And Eric GIF

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I feel like this game is poised to disappoint a ton of people at little fault of the devs. They aren't trying to make something on the level as BG3 or Elder Scrolls and seem to have been pretty clear about that, but people are still setting themselves up to get really angry about it.
This was always going to happen. People can ruin another game for themselves if they want. I'll most likely end up enjoying it. Their loss. Nothing can really stop people from ruining a game for themselves if they really want to.

Kssio_Aug

lmao, man
someone post a compilation of stuff that Avowed straight up doesn't have. Wasn't there recently news that it doesn't feature romance as well?
Well, if people created a thread for every single thing a game does not feature for every game, and not just Avowed, there would be no space for discussion for anything else.

It's just silly to see all these made up rules of what Avowed "should" have, just to say it doesn't.

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

Pedro Motta

To be honest, after seeing last night's showcase all these games looked better to me. Not better than sonys showcase I mean it makes the graphics look better if that makes sense. Better than they may have originally looked after first viewing. I went back and reaatched all the trailers and avowed is easily up their with what the industry is putting out in general.

I don't think there's any stand out games on these consoles for anything gameplay wise and graphically everything looked on par with each other.

Just my opinion but avowed actually looks better after yesterday's playstation event. I never thought it looked bad but now it definitely is up there with the beat looking games (outside of death stranding 2 and hellblade)

Indy looks down right amazing.
What The Hell Just Happened Reaction GIF

Raven77

I'm telling you right now, again, read the tea leaves.

Avowed will be a very small scale game. Small game world, small number of choices, races, character classes, enemy variety, the list goes on.

So will Indiana Jones, so will Senuas
Sacrifice.

The reason is that Microsoft is in panic mode because they have no games. So the games that they do have in development are being scaled back to release sooner.

I have no clue what their future strategy is. I don't really understand many of the decisions they have made. As a lifelong fan, it hurts.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I'm telling you right now, again, read the tea leaves.

Avowed will be a very small scale game. Small game world, small number of choices, races, character classes, enemy variety, the list goes on.

So will Indiana Jones, so will Senuas
Sacrifice.

The reason is that Microsoft is in panic mode because they have no games. So the games that they do have in development are being scaled back to release sooner.

I have no clue what their future strategy is. I don't really understand many of the decisions they have made. Add a lifelong fan, it hurts.
I think thats a little harsh and conveniant thing to say as we already know Hellblade will be a shorter game like the orig game, the devs themselves said it.

Indiana Jones isnt an open world game or anyhting like that, and will probably be similar length to Wolfenstein 2 and Machine Gmes other games, so like 10-15 hours or so, but it would of always been that length.

Avowed is hsrd to say, its been in development for so long now, and i see no reason why it wont be as big and as long as The Outer Worlds, a game they funded themselves, with i believe a shorter dev time than Avowed.

People will try and twist into being what you said but i dont agree.

Crayon

Well that might defy the natural expectation, there's no way I'm taking that as a knock against the game.

My biggest concern is that they may have fully backpedaled on magic casting with your hands as was shown in the teaser reveal. The wand combat doesn't look good imo.

That aside, I don't see an issue with the race selection if it makes sense story/lore-wise to play as a human or elf.

gtabro

Why would they include more races when they can add them later in season passes or expansions?
Because 99% of people form their opinion of the product on the version released on Day 1 (or week 1 at most).

Last edited:
Top Bottom