• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed only lets you play as Human or Elfs

Draugoth

Gold Member
avowed-official-gameplay-trailer-xbox-showcase-2023_bwfr.1280.jpg

Upcoming Obsidian RPG Avowed takes place in Eora, which in the fictional universe of Pillars of Eternity, is pretty diverse. But after Pillars let players choose from a number of different character races, fans have been wondering for some time now why Avowed is only letting them pick human or elf when customizing a player character.

We've learned that Avowed player character creation is limited to making either a human or an elf in previous game reveals - no dwarves, no aumauas, and definitely no godlikes. While this has been a disappointment to some fans, Avowed game director Carrie Patel has made it clear that the reasons for this limitation are twofold: it's both a story choice and a development decision.

"Patel explains in an interview with IGN, it's because the player in Avowed is a representative from the Aedyr Empire, which is predominantly made up of humans and elves."

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
lmao, man
someone post a compilation of stuff that Avowed straight up doesn't have. Wasn't there recently news that it doesn't feature romance as well?
Posted in the other thread. Add this one to the following list:

With each new statements that comes up, it seems like this is not going to be a deep RPG game at all.

Last edited:

Kurotri

Posted in the other thread. Added the no-romance option in it now:
Damn, that's what I was looking for!
Is there some sort of mandate that RPG's should feature race selections and romance?
I just found it strange after continously hearing that it won't let you do x and y seemingly every week. It almost sounds barebones. I don't have some vendetta against it, just strange to hear these things imo.

With each new statements that comes up, it seems like this is not going to be a deep RPG game at all.

Nothing of nothing

No class system is weird, but didn’t they say recently that the skills system allows you to basically make your own classes?

The rest of that list… who really cares? Those aren’t required for a “deep RPG”. I guess it’s just personal preference. I don’t romance characters in games or do pacifist runs on long RPG’s.

killatopak

Is there some sort of mandate that RPG's should feature race selections and romance?
This is an issue because the other races are playable in PoE. This game is set in that same universe.

I didn't find any issue with romance with Avowed because I don't think PoE is well known for romance. I do however understand those that are disappointed because no matter how little, romance was an option in PoE2.

The complaints just stems from removal of features that were available before in a game set in that same universe.

I reckon the exclusion of these features are more technical in nature and not lack of ambition.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I reckon the exclusion of these features are more technical in nature and not lack of ambition.
If you read the article they're extremely honest why they chose this. They basically don't want to waste resources on setting up 4 different tiers of camera perspective, hit detection and enemy AI for attacking and spend development resources to make that all look right. They're prioritizing other things.

In a old school low budget CRPG its much easier to just make a sprite and then that's the end of it really. Not much else changes.

Last edited:
No class system is weird, but didn’t they say recently that the skills system allows you to basically make your own classes?

The rest of that list… who really cares? Those aren’t required for a “deep RPG”. I guess it’s just personal preference. I don’t romance characters in games or do pacifist runs on long RPG’s.

There's no class system because they wouldn't have had enough time to make them good enough to exist on their own. Easiest solution is to let you mix and match them all

Punished Miku

Gold Member
There's no class system because they wouldn't have had enough time to make them good enough to exist on their own. Easiest solution is to let you mix and match them all
They're going for a more Skyrim approach. If it's an action game it's not really going to be fun to be a priest. You're going to be the main attacker and you're going to mix in some spells. Morrowind had classes or a custom class you just pick yourself and it was all the same. No one is going to play a wizard with 4 spells for the day and a weak melee attack in an action RPG.

Last edited:

Nothing of nothing

Not having romance is going backwards. Classes are freeform so like Skyrim you can be anything as long as you use it enough so fair. No Pacifist run is meh for it not being a full open world. No companions approval is wtf you doing Obisidian, might as well be pawns like in Dragons Dogma.

killatopak

If you read the article they're extremely honest why they chose this. They basically don't want to waste resources on setting up 4 different tiers of camera perspective, hit detection and enemy AI for attacking and spend development resources to make that all look right. They're prioritizing other things.

In a old school low budget CRPG its much easier to just make a sprite and then that's the end of it really. Not much else changes.
Skyrim did it more than a decade ago. Morrowind did it even earlier. Hitbox, run speed, and jumping. Camera fov depends on height and you can be small as fuck bosmer or walking flagpoles like altmer.

Shit you even have a racism chart in Oblivion.

TdW2pIl.jpg

Entire playthroughs can be different because of your race. One instance is diplomatic immunity in Skyrim. Disguise yourself with Thalmor robes as Altmer and you can even order people around. Other races can’t face the guards or get caught. Khajiit and Argonians are instantly caught because they notice your fucking tail.

thief183

...I tend to play always human so not really a big deal for me... the no romance is a really good choice, the no class totally depends on how the development system works.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Skyrim did it more than a decade ago. Morrowind did it even earlier. Hitbox, run speed, and jumping. Camera fov depends on height and you can be small as fuck bosmer or walking flagpoles like altmer.

Shit you even have a racism chart in Oblivion.

TdW2pIl.jpg

Entire playthroughs can be different because of your race. One instance is diplomatic immunity in Skyrim. Disguise yourself with Thalmor robes as Altmer and you can even order people around. Other races can’t face the guards or get caught. Khajiit and Argonians are instantly caught because they notice your fucking tail.
I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying they openly are admitting they don't want to waste development resources on that. Bethesda is far bigger than Obsidian.

They're going for a more Skyrim approach. If it's an action game it's not really going to be fun to be a priest. You're going to be the main attacker and you're going to mix in some spells. Morrowind had classes or a custom class you just pick yourself and it was all the same.

Course you can make it fun. That's just a creativity issue. Bethesda games have the same issue. Individual classes that are meaningful take up too much time

No one is going to play a wizard with 4 spells for the day and a weak melee attack in an action RPG.

Lol yeah, exactly my point.

Allandor

Sry, but why is it, that everything that might be negative for an Ms studio gets it's own thread?

The topic is really ridiculous. Why should that matter if you not even know the game? A game doesn't need to have many species you can select of. Why should it?
So it is absolutely ridiculous to write articles about something a game doesn't feature if that feature is not absolutely needed.

Well and with my participation on this topic I even pushed it ...

Bernoulli

M2 slut

Why not get more contractors to work just on this ?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The player in Avowed is a representative from the Aedyr Empire, which is predominantly made up of humans and elves."

That sounds racist to me. The Aedyr Empire is predominantly human/elf, but that doesn't mean there isn't a single dwarf living there.

I expected better form Obsidian in 2024.

They having dark elves at least then? Don't mind the lack of options for races so long as I can try and work a Dunmer in somehow

StereoVsn

Sry, but why is it, that everything that might be negative for an Ms studio gets it's own thread?

The topic is really ridiculous. Why should that matter if you not even know the game? A game doesn't need to have many species you can select of. Why should it?
So it is absolutely ridiculous to write articles about something a game doesn't feature if that feature is not absolutely needed.

Well and with my participation on this topic I even pushed it ...
The issue here is that originally it was being pushed as Obsidian’s “Skyrim”. Then they did a bigger reveal and it looked like crap.

And then they scaled down expectations and said it was fantasy Outer Worlds instead. Considering that wasn’t particularly great it all went downhill from there.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Yeah those are complete non-issues for me.

Top Bottom