• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian’s Avowed Won't feature Romance, Xbox confirms

Seems like i'm in the minority, but who cares? Romancing NPCs had always been cringe unless the writing is decent enough or it figures into their characters ark, which is barely the case ever.

The last and only time I pursued this in a game was the Mass Effect games, Witcher games and Cyberpunk, and even then it was embarrassing hahaha.
Nah i'm completely with you, who even actually cares? The most i've ever done when it comes to romance in games is employing hookers in GTA. That's the only romance i care about.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Another Xbox half baked game coming to Gamepass™️

Tobe Hooper Horror GIF by filmeditor

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Good, "romance" as recently developed for a game concept ruins RPGs and makes what should be adult characters sound like extremely-online teenagers.

Particularly when the obsession with politicized diversity means you have some weirdly asexual-sexualized world, because you blur all lines between the behavior of sexes which clashes irreconcilably with the clan/tribe/allegiance kind of world they're trying to convey.

Androgynous mechanics always lead to permanent children as characters, who don't seem to grasp higher orders of loyalty / allegiance / honor etc and how those are fundamentally orthogonal to affective relationships or flirting. No thanks.

Astray

Gold Member
That’s like claiming laser weaponry and space flight are ‘missing features’ from a WW2 shooter.
My problem is not really about 'missing features' (don't care about romances for example), it's the weird thing where they spend nearly their entire marketing to tell us what the game won't have.

Like, tell me why I should pick up your game in what's gonna be another busy gaming year. Like the only thing I've seen them talk specifically about is the combat and that fell really flat for me in the showcase.

It's like they are trying so hard to not be the victims of YouTube essays about broken promises or whatever, but like, who gives a shit what YouTube thinks? Market your game and actually tell me why you think I should buy it.

Ozriel

M$FT
My problem is not really about 'missing features' (don't care about romances for example), it's the weird thing where they spend nearly their entire marketing to tell us what the game won't have.

Like, tell me why I should pick up your game in what's gonna be another busy gaming year. Like the only thing I've seen them talk specifically about is the combat and that fell really flat for me in the showcase.

It's like they are trying so hard to not be the victims of YouTube essays about broken promises or whatever, but like, who gives a shit what YouTube thinks? Market your game and actually tell me why you think I should buy it.

Then perhaps you shouldn’t be getting your news from a fellow user, especially one who historically isn’t exactly unbiased?

All these are from a 23mins video stream where they talked about their game, what’s in it, what they intend to achieve and other stuff. They used that to tell you what the game would have, and not to go over a litany of things not in the game.

Heck, you can already tell from the video description which certainly isn’t all about combat

Y0epH42.jpg

Astray

Gold Member
Then perhaps you shouldn’t be getting your news from a fellow user, especially one who historically isn’t exactly unbiased?

All these are from a 23mins video stream where they talked about their game, what’s in it, what they intend to achieve and other stuff. They used that to tell you what the game would have, and not to go over a litany of things not in the game.

Heck, you can already tell from the video description which certainly isn’t all about combat

Y0epH42.jpg
I saw this exact clip way before i read his post, nothing looked really unique about the game, they spent a lot of time on combat (almost 1/6th of their show time) and it looked honestly non-engaging.

This was actually the game I looked most forward to when they 1st revealed it. And honestly from the moment they revealed the new artstyle I've been losing my enthusiasm for it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Not saying that this game needs romances (if it is from the people who made Outer Worlds, it definitely does not), but I just don't see how anyone could be excited about this based on what we saw. Unless you are for some reason a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity lore.

amigastar

Not saying that this game needs romances (if it is from the people who made Outer Worlds, it definitely does not), but I just don't see how anyone could be excited about this based on what we saw. Unless you are for some reason a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity lore.
Not the biggest fan, but i've enjoyed Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 very much. I don't know if they can pull off this atmosphere sucessfully.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Eh, it's not that big of a deal. You can't exactly romance anyone in Fromsoft's games but they're still excellent RPGs.

Not having classes, though? That's a much bigger "um, what?" moment.

Top Bottom