• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian’s Avowed Won't feature Romance, Xbox confirms

Draugoth

Gold Member
8bec684fe61e733a3c352fcf3ec039d9.jpg

Amidst the recent flurry of information about Obsidian’s forthcoming RPG Avowed, one crucial morsel of information went under the radar. We learned that the first-person role-player would have lively combat, a classless main character exploring large, sprawling levels set in the same universe as Pillars of Eternity, and that there would be companions accompanying us on the journey. But can we kiss those companions? Eurogamer reveals that, no, we cannot.

“I know we did some romances for companions in [Pillars of Eternity II:] Deadfire,” game director Carrie Patel told Eurogamer, “but the thing we found…is that to pay them off, you really have to invest a lot in doing them well. And you also want to balance whatever you’re putting into romantic relationships with ensuring that players who don’t choose the romance path still have a fulfilling and complete experience with those companions.”

Via Kotaku

HL3.exe

Seems like i'm in the minority, but who cares? Romancing NPCs had always been cringe unless the writing is decent enough or it figures into their characters ark, which is barely the case ever.

The last and only time I pursued this in a game was the Mass Effect games, Witcher games and Cyberpunk, and even then it was embarrassing hahaha.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
No one will buy it. Everyone and everything is all about sex these days sadly. Games with " romance " options sell.

StueyDuck

I'm not like super stoked on this game (outer worlds was poop)

But this is a good thing. "Romance" in games is dumb shit, it's done so poorly to ever be considered necessary.

"Hi there I killed the orcs" "oh yes person i met 5 minutes ago, i am madly in love with you now, let's bang it out"

It's always so rapey...

Just focus on the stabbing and making that story good, leave romance for weebs and their picture book games.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not a good look after BG 3 went super horny. People like romanceable team mates in western rpg. If Bioware can do it in 2003, you can do it in 2024. If fucking Spiders can do it with a 30 man crew in Greedfall, a dev studio backed by the biggest corp in the world can do it too.
They can, but the purpose of a service like GamePass which is their main internal customers needs lots of cheaper to produce titles coming in and out of the service. The idea of getting lots of AAAA with the same “low” subscription coming out every few months was never sustainable.

Orbital2060

Yeah its what out me off Mass Effect 2, and later the Witcher 3. And Baldurs Gate 3, I hear it has a lot of romancing bs and it puts me off playing the game.

Last edited:

Flabagast

There was already no romance in outer worlds if I remember right.

No big deal, only CDPR does them well in RPGs anyway. BG3 is excellent but its romances were really cringe and fake

Last edited:

Filben

Yep, it's the same reason they gave on why Outer Worlds doesn't have it. They simply don't want to invest in that.

I'm okay with that. It's okay to not have companions who want to fuck.

Toots

Gold Member
They won't enable the player to force themselves on npc who are but lines of code and therefore cannot give consent.

Sweden85

8bec684fe61e733a3c352fcf3ec039d9.jpg

Amidst the recent flurry of information about Obsidian’s forthcoming RPG Avowed, one crucial morsel of information went under the radar. We learned that the first-person role-player would have lively combat, a classless main character exploring large, sprawling levels set in the same universe as Pillars of Eternity, and that there would be companions accompanying us on the journey. But can we kiss those companions? Eurogamer reveals that, no, we cannot.

Via Kotaku

Lol, sounds like they didn't want to spend time to make it happen..GP-title :D

Top Bottom