• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArmA 3 Performance Thread

Jburton

Banned
SP is a littlet better but plays about the same as a good server meaning no lower than 40fps and upwards of 70. Playable but I definitely expect to run a game like this better so hopefully performance is improved.

arma32013-03-0610-23-oizbg.png

arma32013-03-0610-23-m0xq7.png

arma32013-03-0610-23-sgxs2.png

This is at 1080p and 2xAA w/SMAA High.

What is your spec?

Overall it's been looking great just using auto detect, and as some others have said it does seem to perform better than A2 did. Still have to try with the PP off as others have said for that boost. It is an ugly blur. The new controls are quite good and a big improvement.

The kick on some of these guns is quite over the top. My cheap real steel AK doesn't buck as much as some of these do on semi.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The kick on some of these guns is quite over the top. My cheap real steel AK doesn't buck as much as some of these do on semi.

We were discussing recoil and how overdone it is in the game with a few guys. I'm keeping in mind that this is an Alpha but feedback for the devs is key so these things need to be vocalized.

My first Gaf post, let's hope I'm not fucking this up.
I know this isn't a screenshot thread, but seeing as others have posted a few screens, I thought I'd join in..

Anyway, here are some ArmA 3 screens for you with links to the original 2880x1620 versions:

arma3201303051908298080.png

LINK

arma3201303051840258780.png

LINK

arma3201303051831180780.png

LINK

arma3201303051831372980.png

LINK

arma3201303051829596480.png

LINK

arma3201303051821400580.png

LINK

I downsample to 1920x1080 from that res, but FRAPS doesn't give a shit about that and would rather keep the 1620p res.

Although in many cases it doesn't carry over to the screens, the game does look amazing. The only thing that's not looking too hot, is the terrain at a distance, but that's always been the case with both OP:F and the ArmA games. I guess most computers would blow up trying to render 12km worth of foliage..

Performance is actually pretty decent IMO, but so far I've only played SP - and performance wise I wasn't really expecting much.. Considering it's ArmA... and an alpha. Hopefully though we'll see a few performance jumps from game optimization as we get closer to release. And I hope Nvidia are releasing drivers to help take full advantage of SLI setups down the road.

What do you have your PP set to? It actually doesn't look too horrible vs Arma 2, though I still don't know if I'd use it. The way they implement it when ADS is still pretty bad.

bj00rn_

Banned
3770k @3.5, 16GB RAM, 660ti OC (slightly overclocked)

Everything maxed out including 8xSMAA at 1080p

I used fraps and framerate seems to be locked at 30fps for some reason?

arma32013030616560734.png

Edit: Well, this was taken with FXAA actually, but didn't notice any difference in fps.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Gonna try updating to newer beta drivers but performance is definitely shoddy right now. Perhaps SLI isn't optimized at all yet.

BadTaste

Uploading a corrected RAMDisk tutorial. Sorry if you followed my last tutorial on it yesterday.

This time it absolutely works, just requires a bit more thinking!

It isn't apparently, the SLI profile isn't that good at the moment I'm told. Also causes flickering with PiP.

So that's why that happened. I tried the vehicle showcase, and as soon as I got in every display in the vehicle flickered like crazy - even the mirrors lol.

I'll try disabling SLI and see if it makes a difference (on both PiP and FPS)

What do you have your PP set to? It actually doesn't look too horrible vs Arma 2, though I still don't know if I'd use it. The way they implement it when ADS is still pretty bad.

Without having checked, I think it's set to high.

Gumbie

damn you got some titans already?!
also, seeing in game shots remind me of Dayz standalone.
soooo confirmed Day z standalone using this engine?

DayZ standalone uses the Take On Helicopters engine with a few features from the Arma 3 engine. I think they said they would be using the night lighting from Arma 3.

IMACOMPUTA

3770k @3.5, 16GB RAM, 660ti OC (slightly overclocked)

Everything maxed out including 8xSMAA at 1080p

I used fraps and framerate seems to be locked at 30fps for some reason?

Edit: Well, this was taken with FXAA actually, but didn't notice any difference in fps.[/QUOTE]

The framerate was most likely limited by fraps recording at 30fps. You can change it to 60 within fraps settings.

Kayhan

This may be a dumb question but the version everyone bought is the Steam version, right?

There are no other version available for now?

Sethos

Banned
This may be a dumb question but the version everyone bought is the Steam version, right?

There are no other version available for now?

The game is Steamworks and always will be, so you need Steam to play it both in Alpha, Beta and retail.

BadTaste

How to install ArmA 3 on a RAMDisk

Important notes

• Recommended System Memory - 10-12GB+
• ArmA 3 must already be installed on one of your HDD's

----

I made a RAMDisk tutorial yesterday but I missed a few important steps which caused the game to delete upon unmounting the RAMDisk. Sorry if it effected you after watching that video.

Vlodril

damn you got some titans already?!
also, seeing in game shots remind me of Dayz standalone.
soooo confirmed Day z standalone using this engine?

Its not and after playing it for a while i am not sure i want to go back to arma 2 even if its a modified engine.

Foffy

Banned
How to install ArmA 3 on a RAMDisk

Important notes

• Recommended System Memory - 10-12GB+
• ArmA 3 must already be installed on one of your HDD's

----

I made a RAMDisk tutorial yesterday but I missed a few important steps which caused the game to delete upon unmounting the RAMDisk. Sorry if it effected you after watching that video.

Would the same tactic work for ArmA II? That tends to take quite a while to load for me, but then again, with all of the mods I have (my ArmA 2 directory is now about 35 GB) so anything to boost performance would be wonderful.

Sethos

Banned
Would the same tactic work for ArmA II? That tends to take quite a while to load for me, but then again, with all of the mods I have (my ArmA 2 directory is now about 35 GB) so anything to boost performance would be wonderful.

Yup, ArmA II benefits from RAMDisks too.

Foffy

Banned
Yup, ArmA II benefits from RAMDisks too.

Pretty sweet, but I see an issue with that for me; ArmA II takes up more space than the amount of RAM I have. I have 32 GB of RAM, and ArmA II (both vanilla, OA, DLCs, and mods) takes up about 35. There's no way to mix and match file size?

demolitio

Is it still tied to page up/page down? Also, not all weapons have an adjustable zero.

Yeah, I know. Like I said, I can rebind it or set it back to default but nothing works on ANY weapon. It's made long-range engagements pretty difficult considering everyone else can zero their weapons.

Yeah, I know. Like I said, I can rebind it or set it back to default but nothing works on ANY weapon. It's made long-range engagements pretty difficult considering everyone else can zero their weapons.

Ah, that sucks--I thought the ShackTac preview vid showed that you could adjust it in the Alpha.

Guess that mitigates some of the frustration I've felt when watching vids of long distance engagements in Arma 3--kept thinking "adjust your zero!"

demolitio

Ah, that sucks--I thought the ShackTac preview vid showed that you could adjust it in the Alpha.

Guess that mitigates some of the frustration I've felt when watching vids of long distance engagements in Arma 3--kept thinking "adjust your zero!"

Other people don't seem to have any issues with it unless the person I asked didn't understand what zeroing was. That's why I was asking since I don't know if he knew what I was talking about or not and I think he just answered randomly...lol

If it's not in yet, it would make me feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one at a disadvantage. It's funny using the old-school method of just aiming way above the target if he's far away.

Loving the game though. I can't wait to see how the helos respond once Take On Helicopters flight models are implemented. I love games that don't just make it extremely easy.

Just saw a post in the BIS forums (from a user, not a mod/dev) that said zeroing works with HMG jeeps, but none of the small arms/infantry weapons.

demolitio

Just saw a post in the BIS forums (from a user, not a mod/dev) that said zeroing works with HMG jeeps, but none of the small arms/infantry weapons.

Thanks. I checked there last night and found nothing and was about to check it again so you saved me a lot of time...lol.

Now I know not to ask my one friend any questions about this game as he rather make up an answer if he doesn't understand the question.

Hylian7

So I don't know if this has been pointed out, but....

THIS GAME SUPPORTS BORDERLESS WINDOW, WHY IS THIS NOT A BIGGER DEAL?!

Edit: Some screenshots. I'm running on Ultra with Post Processing off, 1440x900, get about 30-40 FPS depending on the situation. The moral of this story is turn Post Processing off, you don't need it and it just drags your framerate down. The game is beautiful. I have some video I can upload as well.

jbpaz

Edit: Some screenshots. I'm running on Ultra with Post Processing off, 1440x900, get about 30-40 FPS depending on the situation. The moral of this story is turn Post Processing off, you don't need it and it just drags your framerate down. The game is beautiful. I have some video I can upload as well.

How do you turn on borderless window? and what's the difference in FPS?

Sethos

Banned
Doesn't windowed and borderless window make your GPU run at 2D clocks?

Also what's the point of borderless windows?

Doesn't work for me. The taskbar is still visible and pushes the window below the monitor.

Doesn't windowed and borderless window make your GPU run at 2D clocks?

Nope.

Also what's the point of borderless windows?

Seamless alt-tabbing, better performance in some cases, less screen-tearing/stuttering in some cases, useful if you want to use more than one screen while playing etc.

Sethos

Banned
Seamless alt-tabbing, better performance in some cases, less screen-tearing/stuttering in some cases, useful if you want to use more than one screen while playing etc.

I've never heard of any of that outside of the alt-tab which isn't a problem as full-screen alt-tabbing takes about a second.

And I'm fairly sure there was / is an issue with GPUs going in 2D clock mode when doing anything window based, especially multi-GPU based.

sunnz

Performance wise, this alpha runs the same as Arma for the most part ( good servers) BUT looks a hell of a lot better ( plus a gigantic leap in improved animations/movement, oh and you can go through doors effortlessly) so I am very happy so far.

Cant wait for the patches to roll out though, the crashes is annoying.

I can also use first person mode without it being a nuisance, much smoother and a better experience.

I've never heard of any of that outside of the alt-tab which isn't a problem as full-screen alt-tabbing takes about a second.

It really depends on the game, but I find there's a significant difference between alt-tabbing in fullscreen and windowed games in general. I often use my other two monitors while playing and it's a mess when you're shifting focus while a game is in exclusive fullscreen.

Also, calibration profiles are often completely ignored when in fullscreen, which is a bummer if you've calibrated your setup.

And I'm fairly sure there was / is an issue with GPUs going in 2D clock mode when doing anything window based, especially multi-GPU based.

That's possible, but the drivers is supposed to activate the 3D clocks immediately when a 3D-application is running though, regardless of what mode the game is in.

I_D

I get 15fps on the lowest settings and highest settings. Arma 2 did basically the same thing, which I don't think is supposed to happen.
I have a 560ti with an i3 3220.

Oddly, it's fairly playable at this framerate; it feels like 25fps.

Karak

How do you turn on borderless window? and what's the difference in FPS?
I somehow had also missed this. I don't see the typical improvement in performance that comes with borderless, which sometimes seems almost friggen magical, but its excellent to have the option.

jbpaz

When I play multiplayer, I get 20-25 FPS, regardless of WHATEVER settings I am using. I literally tried maxing the game out, and then putting everything to minimum, and there was almost no difference in performance at all.

DTKT

When I play multiplayer, I get 20-25 FPS, regardless of WHATEVER settings I am using. I literally tried maxing the game out, and then putting everything to minimum, and there was almost no difference in performance at all.

The game heavily depends on your CPU. Also, the game tends to defer some settings to the CPU when you set them to low.

Top Bottom