• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silica - FPS/RTS hybrid from Bohemia Interactive (Arma, Dayz) - Out today

kicker

Banned
We already have a thread for the announcement https://www.neogaf.com/threads/silica-official-announcement-trailer.1655133/ but the game releases today (May 3rd, 2023) so I felt it needed its own thread

I've been following their development for a while now and I think the game deserves some promotion, if solely for the fact that they seem to have really focused on the rts part of the game which a lot of these hybrids neglect.
It's under the same publisher as the arma team but the studio is called Bohemia Incubator so I assume they're new devs given funding to make a passion project.

From Steam:
Silica is a crossover of FPS and RTS where up to 3 factions battle for control over the planet of Baltarus. Lead from above as commander, or experience the action first-hand, either alone, or with friends. Join one of two human armies, or hunt them down as the territorial aliens.
  • First/third-person shooter - control any character, creature, or vehicle. You can leave the commanding to the AI.
  • Choose from 6 unique locations to play on.
  • Immerse yourself in 3 engaging game modes.
  • Singleplayer and multiplayer options - play alone or with up to 12 people in Strategy mode and 32 in Arena mode.
  • As a human, produce and select from 5 infantry classes and 11 distinct vehicles.
  • As an alien, spawn and shift between 8 different creatures.
fyp0j5E.gif
e3mITSS.gif
quR74hp.gif

Anybody getting this?

Last edited:
The price will be the deciding factor for me. Looks alright but shit is expensive now so will need to be exceptional and/or well priced for me to purchase on a whim.

kicker

Banned
The price will be the deciding factor for me. Looks alright but shit is expensive now so will need to be exceptional and/or well priced for me to purchase on a whim.
Yeah, based on the genre, the limited number of maps and the apparent focus on multiplayer I'd guess somewhere between 20 - 30$.

We'll see in a few hours

Thanks for this. First time I’ve heard of it and I loved Natural Selection. Kind of looks like a larger scaled version of that. I’ll be picking it up later today.

drotahorror

Really interesting game. Curious how it turns out. Hopefully it's not too ambitious but the devs have done ambitious games for a while.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

🎮🦀 Bohemia Interactive has developed a new RTS-FPS hybrid game called Silica, which allows players to alternate between an aerial commander's perspective and being a soldier on the ground. Although it's ambitious, the game still needs improvements, especially on its tutorials. Silica allows players to play as a crab or a scorpion, which gives players the ability to cling and scuttle around surfaces like spiders. However, the game still needs better balancing as crabs are not as strong as human troops.

Last edited:
It’s definitely got the ideas and the concept is amazing. Just needs a shit ton of more work. I’ll revisit this in 6 months but just don’t have the time to devote to testing and providing feedback.

Top Bottom