• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArmA 3 Performance Thread

What do you mean PP?

Fxaa and that?

Sorry--post processing. I think FXAA is a separate setting.

From PCG:

Arma’s post-processing continues to be a bland blur effect; PP was enabled by default on my system, though it’s easily disabled.

Basically, in ARMA 2, it adds some blur to the distant horizon, blur to the sides of the screen, and more blur when you're out of breath.

Forsete

Looks fantastic. I will buy it for sure. One of the best games to co-op in IMO.

But please tell me they dropped the idiotic and annoying robot voices.

You didn't really have to ask though did you? If you don't like a screenshot then wait for more.

In fairness I saw the motherofgod.jpg then the screenshot and thought I must be missing something because I'm on my phone.

Not that it's not impressive but I had the same initial reaction

Sethos

Banned
In fairness I saw the motherofgod.jpg then the screenshot and thought I must be missing something because I'm on my phone.

Was just to show off the cloud atmosphere / close-to photorealistic looks. I love it.

R1CHO

Sorry--post processing. I think FXAA is a separate setting.

Basically, in ARMA 2, it adds some blur to the distant horizon, blur to the sides of the screen, and more blur when you're out of breath.

Oh, it can look pretty bad yeah, for example here with the iron sights of the pistol:

Off

iiZEr1k4uIz7z.png

Very High

I understand that, I just accepted it as someone who was excited about a game they have been waiting to play a long time and they took a screenshot of something they found attractive. There's going to be a shit ton of screenshots incoming so I just thought the negativity was unnecessary.

MJLord

I already turned PP down to low, the blur / bloom thing is annoying.

Kinda goes without saying that if you are dropping frames then Post Processing effects should always be the first thing to start cutting.

(not specifically aimed at you Sethos just a general thought)

I understand that, I just accepted it as someone who was excited about a game they have been waiting to play a long time and they took a screenshot of something they found attractive. There's going to be a shit ton of screenshots incoming so I just thought the negativity was unnecessary.

Yeah, I wouldn't agree with the comment that it wasn't anything special. It's pretty great. I can't think of any prerelease images with that coloring. Most has been the sunny day stuff so it's great to see that gloomy look too.

diamount

Banned
Take it with a metric shit ton of grains of salt, because i have been just trying it for 15 min on the editor and the first showcase, but performance seems pretty good to me.

I tried with everything on ultra but just 2xAA and 1680x1050 and the default view distances.

I am getting arround 30-40 fps on average, dropping in places like here:

Panoramic area with buildings.

Dat view distance.

R1CHO

Nights are beautiful now but there is a pretty important performance drop:

It's pretty much the same view (in case it's difficult to appreciate because my bright settings on the monitor is fucked).

Sethos

Banned
Man you can quickly see how CPU limited this game is.

48 FPS looking at a huge landscape.

Add 120% internal rendering, 4xAA, SMAA High

48 FPS still.

150% internal rendering, 8xAA, SMAA Ultra

49 FPS. ( Don't ask )

I currently have so much GPU overhead it's insane.

BadTaste

What are the current resource hoggers in options?

Auto-detect seems to work just fine.

I was getting 22-36 FPS maxed out.

now 35-60 FPS using auto-detect.

Sethos

Banned
View distance is the #1 resource hog, by far. Obviously if you are GPU limited, everything else also plays a major role like AA etc.

Oh and also, just tried FXAA ... Man, the sharpening filter used with that is disgusting.

Loving the game, could probably get it running better on my 670, but there were some STRANGE things going on when I logged into a multiplayer game. Obviously it's Alpha, but I'm wondering if anyone else experience stuff like other players running in place, items frozen in mid-air, and enemies not appearing.

Either way, the game is refined so much, and I love it. The 'clunk' is near-absent, once I get familiar with all the control options.

Hylian7

Core i5 2500k @ 3.40 GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon HD5850

I don't get a constant 60 unless I'm on standard, but still it runs pretty well beyond that.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Was just to show off the cloud atmosphere / close-to photorealistic looks. I love it.

Actually I agree, grass aside, the like structure/well/cross/bell-thingy looked like it was part of a photo when I was scrolling down.

Core i5 2500k @ 3.40 GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon HD5850

I don't get a constant 60 unless I'm on standard, but still it runs pretty well beyond that.

I think you're the closest spec wise to me this far. I've got a 560TI but everything else is the same.

How does it look on standard? Any chance you can post some screens?

jbpaz

If I run OA on everything maxed out well in scenarios and editor with my Phenom II X4 965 and 5770, will I run Arma 3 well?

I'm on the verge of getting it but I'm hesitant on what you guys have been reporting.

Orgun

Surprised, it runs better than A2 for me. Core i5 and a GTX 460.

Was getting 25-40 fps depending on what was happening and where we were in a 20 play match. Happy with that.

owlbeak

If I run OA on everything maxed out well in scenarios and editor with my Phenom II X4 965 and 5770, will I run Arma 3 well?

I'm on the verge of getting it but I'm hesitant on what you guys have been reporting.
I have the same setup, with 8gb of ram and it runs between 30-60 on a mix of high and standard settings. Some dips into the 20s from time to time, but it's very playable.

From PCG:

At E3 last year, Dean Hall told me “If you can run Arma 2, you can run Arma 3.” So far, that statement holds up. On my home system (Intel Core i7-870 @2.93GHz, two ATI Radeon 5850s in Crossfire) and a more powerful work system (Intel Core i7-3770K @3.5GHz, Nvidia GTX Titan), the game ran comfortably in almost all situations I put it in.

I ran home over lunch for a quick test.

As with ARMA2, CrossFire on my 6950s provides little to no improvement. And it looks like performance is roughly the same as ARMA2 with my 6950 being "playable" to me @ 1080p with no AA and everything else being on highish. I was getting 25-45 FPS. Worse when around multiple vehicles. Better in dense forest.

I went ahead and ordered a 7970GHz to replace them. So excited. Now I need to sell these 6950s.

BadTaste

I'm pretty sure there's a bug in that SoftPerfect RAMDisk software. Upon dismounting the disk and then mounting it again it deleted the contents inside it. Even with "Wipe Memory on Dismount" unchecked.

Reinstalling ArmA 3 >.>

Also I had a look inside the ArmA 3 folder in Documents.

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;
GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=0;

mouseSmoothing=5;

I changed those to..

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;
GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=0;

mouseSmoothing=0;

Well, my download finishes 15 minutes before I have to go to work. Managed to get in game long enough to crash a helicopter into the side of a mountain.

I have a feeling I am going to need this thread, it was running slow to me.

Caffeine

just got mine starting area of combat get ultra settings 16-19fps gtx 460 oc past a stock 560,cpu q6600 oc to 3.6Ghz (will post again with new cpu and mobo coming tommorow or next day).
aRrPd8c.jpg

Game runs surprisingly well for an alpha, much better experience than what I had with A2 retail even. Going to need to tweak of course but so far it looks and seems to even run better than A2 did for me.

The multiplayer..... wow what a mess. Only two matches so far and it's nigh unplayable

Sethos

Banned
Looks like there's low CPU utilization, just like ArmA 2 - Also explains why even the simplest of scenes takes a massive dip. Can't believe they still haven't fixed that.

Hylian7

I'm amazed that this game seems to look AND run better than Arma 2 ever did, and this is only the Alpha. Really can't wait for someone to make a full on Wasteland for this!

Top Bottom