• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArmA 3 Performance Thread

BadTaste

Okay, to revive this thread with some solid information I might have found a performance fix for some.

On my 3930k, my performance in the main village went from 30-40FPS to locked 60 and a slight dip when looking at the airfield. It also removed my stuttering when doing quick turns. It didn't work on my friend's i5 2500k.

So I'd like some feedback on the fix, which CPU, is HT enabled and did it help the FPS at all.

Disable CPU Parking: http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

Restart PC.

Try the game.

Oh woooow..

I got a 10FPS increase. On the Infantry Showcase I would get 40FPS at the beginning without moving, now I get 50FPS, tested by not moving to get an accurate reading.

i7 920 HT enabled

Old
vkBoHbz.jpg

New

edit: New pic FOV was added, just for the record.

vocab

The biggest performance killer I found was draw distance. I saw a 20-30fps increase when I turned it down some what. I entered a big area and it dropped to 20's. That's when I messed around with the settings.

Sethos

Banned
Haha, and they didn't even credit GAF/you! Weak.

Yeah it's pretty lame.

On a brighter note, I'm super stoked about having my game run this smooth again. Feels fantastic - Can only get better with optimizations on BIS' part. Only problem is, I spend 95% of my time online with a friend and the FPS tanks completely, host or not. Also there's a bug where the host FPS goes down to around 10FPS plus it will start stutter like crazy.

I'm desperately trying to find a good host in Europe / Scandinavia that offers Alpha hosting.

I'm worried about unparking them and then having issues...Does this utility work for AMD processors as well? I'm assuming so, though in the comments a few people seem to be having issues with it.

It should, it's not a CPU vendor specific feature. It's a Windows feature that 'parks' unused cores. While it shouldn't interfere, it can potentially bug out or something in the game's code cause Windows to try parking a core while in use. It's like GPUs also have a throttle feature and in some games you'll get some stuttering or lower performance because it keeps throttling despite being in use - Then when you set the GPU to "Full power" for the game, it goes away.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just a heads up, test out the difference in the editor / SP. MP still has shoddy performance.

Gonna try it out after I reboot. I just unparked all 4 of my possible options. Not sure if it goes by cores or what but I only had 4 options on my 3930k (0-3).

Just tried it - Doesn't seem to have done much. It's as stable as it was before so it didn't break anything.

Dmax3901

So I played it for like an hour yesterday then it crashed. Now today I can't even open it without getting a "Arma 3 has stopped working" message :/

Sethos

Banned
So I played it for like an hour yesterday then it crashed. Now today I can't even open it without getting a "Arma 3 has stopped working" message :/

Try adding -nobenchmark to the command line

Also, lower ground details and the likes. Fixed crashes for my friend.

My jumps are in multiplayer, getting closer to mid 40's at the low end and 55-60 on the high end.

i have those numbers before the patch (GTX 680) but during game play it drops to the low 17's to the mid 20's so i see no performance benefits as it occurred before and after the patch

sk3tch

I installed the latest driver from NVIDIA (314.21), rebooted, forgot to enable SLI, and fired up ARMA 3 - realized my other two GPUs were not being utilized and exited the game and fixed that. Re-fired up ARMA 3 with tri-SLI and had basically the same performance...lol. DOH. I assume this is a known issue? From what I have read so far the game is very CPU bound. Running 3930k @ 4.5 GHz so there's not much further I can go in that regard. GPUs are 3x Titans.

Forsete

I have a i7 920, 6GB of RAM and 580GTX 1.5GB, runs a bit slower than ARMA2 for me. Not the highest settings though. I love the new controls.

That reminded me of the weird ragdolls from Killzone 1 on PS2. :p

sunnz

I have a i7 920, 6GB of RAM and 580GTX 1.5GB, runs a bit slower than ARMA2 for me. Not the highest settings though. I love the new controls.

That reminded me of the weird ragdolls from Killzone 1 on PS2. :p

Talking about Killzone.

Does the sprinting animation look very similar to the sprinting animation in Killzone 2...
( sprinting with a gun)

Might just be me.

Amneisac

Can you actually "complete" the 2nd co-op mission? The daytime one? We got on a boat and took it out to sea, but never got any kind of mission completed confirmation.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Can you actually "complete" the 2nd co-op mission? The daytime one? We got on a boat and took it out to sea, but never got any kind of mission completed confirmation.

Beat it last night in a last-ditch effort to board a heli with a friend. Fun stuff!

Considering this is alpha, do you think we'll see a big performance improvement in the final game? Cause right now I find MP pretty unplayable. SP runs decently though

sk3tch

Considering this is alpha, do you think we'll see a big performance improvement in the final game? Cause right now I find MP pretty unplayable. SP runs decently though

If ARMA 2 is an indicator - signs point to no. I ran that game with some exotic-ass hardware and it still ran like garbage. So far, the story is the same with 3 - but at least it looks better.

If ARMA 2 is an indicator - signs point to no. I ran that game with some exotic-ass hardware and it still ran like garbage. So far, the story is the same with 3 - but at least it looks better.

...there was a pretty significant performance improvement from the Arma 2 demo to final, and even more after the first couple of patches.

People really exaggerate Arma 2's performance. The game may have run like shit at launch, but as it is now, it's not as ridiculous as everyone says.

sk3tch

...there was a pretty significant performance improvement from the Arma 2 demo to final, and even more after the first couple of patches.

People really exaggerate Arma 2's performance. The game may have run like shit at launch, but as it is now, it's not as ridiculous as everyone says.

Well, apologies - I should have been more clear. I was never in the ARMA 2 betas or anything...I only "got into it" when the DayZ stuff started. So I was using quite "complete" code - and it ran pretty bad...on multiple configurations. Just not smooth. I'm not saying there's this horrific problem or anything, but it's just not nearly as polished as it should be. For the hardware I had, it should have been running better.

Examples:

Alienware M18x R2 with 3920XM CPU, 2x 7970M CFX GPUs
3960x @ 4.5 GHz, 4x GTX 680 Classifed SLI
etc.

Well, apologies - I should have been more clear. I was never in the ARMA 2 betas or anything...I only "got into it" when the DayZ stuff started. So I was using quite "complete" code - and it ran pretty bad...on multiple configurations. Just not smooth. I'm not saying there's this horrific problem or anything, but it's just not nearly as polished as it should be. For the hardware I had, it should have been running better.

Examples:

etc.
DayZ performance isn't/wasn't indicative of Arma2 performance.

Examples:

etc.

Gotcha. It's definitely far from perfect...I really hope that they focus on optimization for release.

Arucardo

It's probably far from ideal with the uneven framerate you get with the arma 2 and 3 engine. I'd image anything that can't hold 60+ fps is uncomfortable with the Occulus Rift. Not expecting any miracles from Bohemia when it comes to the final game, it'll still have plenty of issues with performance.

EVIL

Gotcha. It's definitely far from perfect...I really hope that they focus on optimization for release.

I have a little bit of hope they will spend more time optimizing the game this time around.

There is a much bigger audience for arma 3 now because of dayz. So there will be a bigger more vocal community around it this time compared to arma 2. I also hope stuff like anti hacking measurement will be allot higher on their list.

Karak

Very quick and dirty level creation I recorded. One of the things I wanted to hit on was how easy it is(no knowledge of any scripting needed) to make a basic level that feels different every single time you load it via use of Chance of Presence and Placement Radius only.

I will do more professional ones later that build on using the basic bits to create levels that feel far more professional than they have any right to feel:) More importantly can be fun with repeated play-through.

Quick and Dirty Level Making in the Basic Editor

Also we are taking requests for videos about the editor or just walk-throughs if anyone needs them.

Aleph

Has anyone noticed a performance increase or decrease with the latest (non-dev) patch? I'm downloading it now.

BadTaste

Here is a great tutorial on how to install only necessary files into a RAMDisk. It's specifically for ArmA 2/DayZ/Wasteland but you can get it to work on ArmA 3.

The ArmA 3 Addons folder is currently 6.78GB, it may be bigger or smaller for you. You won't need to put all of those files onto your RAMDisk, but from what I've gathered you only need to add these files if you're playing Wasteland -

3.12GB
characters_f.pbo
map_data.pbo
map_stratis.pbo
map_stratis_data.pbo
map_stratis_data_layers.pbo
misc_f.pbo
plants_f.pbo
roads_f.pbo
rocks_f.pbo
signs_f.pbo
soft_f.pbo
structures_f.pbo
structures_f_data.pbo
structures_f_households.pbo
structures_f_ind.pbo
structures_f_mil.pbo
structures_f_wrecks.pbo

Read the thread I linked to understand how to link your RAMDisk to one of your other drives.

I_D

EDIT:
Still having the custom game issue.
If I make games in the editor, friends can join via LAN without any issue.
Trying to host that exact same map on the internet, though, allows everybody to see the map but fail to join.

On the other hand, just upgraded to an i7+670:
I'm diggin it:

Jburton

Banned
Anyone else find that night causes really big performance drops?

My system is running it at 60 fps in light to moderate conditions and 45 fps with a lot of people and stuff going on.

At night I was getting drops into single figures.

Crazy.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
Trying to revive a dead thread.

I just bought this complete campaign edition and it's not running very good on high or ultra, fps fluctuate and noticeable major dips mostly when looking at distances, I'm guessing dop is a major issue.

Gtx titan
I7 4770k @ 4.2 ghz
32 GB ram
Windows 64 bit
1080p

I have to play on standard settings to keep it steady at 60fps, yet I've read others with the same set up having hardly any issues.just annoying.

RedSwirl

Also trying to revive a dead thread.

I have a feeling this is gonna be really low on the Steam Summer Sale in a couple weeks and I'm about wrapping up ArmA 2's SP content.

I'm going to try to run it on this:
i5 4670k @3.4GHz
GTX 760 2GB
8GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit
128GB SSD

I saw a video of the game running on these exact settings that let me know I should probably be prepared to settle for 30fps. I'm probably going to have AA set to 2x. Is it finally time for me to overclock?

With some major tweaking with this system I can get ArmA 2 to run in the 50's most of the time in SP with most graphics settings at very high. It only dipped all the way down to 30 during campaign missions were hundreds of AI were involved.

Top Bottom