• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apotheon |OT| Pot of War: Vase of Olympus

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
So I played the intro and reached Olympus. Game feels like Don't Starve meets Guacamelee meets Swapper. Really impressed so far. Looking forward to playing it more this weekend.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Ok, what the fuck is with Phlegethon? Tried ten times and can't seem to make it out of the rising pyre. How did you guys do it? I descended straight to Hades after speaking with Demeter. Haven't done Apollo's mission or anything else in the Agora for that matter. Am i going right?!

system11

Nice game - when escaping from the prison though, go nowhere near the door at the boss - hit me and I glitched through it, you're stuck outside then and have to load last save.

My thoughts (PS4 version):

I was really excited to try this, and I wanted to like it. The artstyle is good, but it doesn't quite work for me. At times, it's hard to tell your character apart from enemies. Basically, it seems to be a Metroidvania type of game. Either I'm sick of that or it's not done well here. Lots of different objectives to chase after, which is confusing. Tons of items to pick up as well, with no guidance on what they do or how to use them. I also hate the controls for combat. You have to press R2, which simply does not work in a side-scrolling game like this. Maybe it's just me, but this left me feeling bored.

Am I the only one who doesn't like this? Do I need to give it another chance?

Just tried playing a bit, man I do not like the combat at all. Love the take on a unique artsyle, but I can't see sticking with it with combat like that. it's so janky. I'll give it a bit more, but in the first 30 mins, not clicking at all.

Xeteh

Every time this game crashes on me I end up taking a break before starting again. I'm pretty close to the end, I think. The crashes are disappointing, though.

I was really excited to try this, and I wanted to like it. The artstyle is good, but it doesn't quite work for me. At times, it's hard to tell your character apart from enemies. Basically, it seems to be a Metroidvania type of game. Either I'm sick of that or it's not done well here. Lots of different objectives to chase after, which is confusing. Tons of items to pick up as well, with no guidance on what they do or how to use them. I also hate the controls for combat. You have to press R2, which simply does not work in a side-scrolling game like this. Maybe it's just me, but this left me feeling bored.

Totally with you. The game is obviously totally gorgeous in screenshots but as soon as it starts moving it's a mess. It's not clear where platforms are, enemies and NPCs just blend into crowds so you have no idea who to attack and who not to, and etc. It's so pretty when it's still, pretty enough to totally blind people to its flaws, but it's not functional at all.

And yeah, R2 was a stupid idea. I think the control scheme was designed by saying "well they use R2 to attack in Dark Souls and stuff" and not really thinking about how it would work in a 2D platformer. R1 would have been fine, it's like nobody bothered to play it before they shoved it out the door.

Still, can hope for a patch because it should be at least kind of playable with some control customisation.

hydruxo

Played for several hours last night and never had it crash on me. Maybe I just got lucky, I'll dig into it some more tonight.

I totally disagree with the hate, but that's how it goes I guess.

I'm a huge Souls head, so using R1/R2 for right hand and L2 for left hand feels right at home, along with circle to dodge.

And I can see everything fine, but my TV is 60", so maybe that makes a difference.

Xeteh

And I can see everything fine, but my TV is 60", so maybe that makes a difference.

I'm playing on a 32" TV and I don't understand the complaints of visual issues. Platforms are always black and enemies are always red. It isn't hard to pick out.

Arjen

Played for about an hour. Love the artstyle and I'm a sucker for great mythology but uhm...I'm not really feeling it, combat feels wonky, switching to ranged is really crappy. I'll give it another go, but it has to get better fast.

Haunted

Played for about an hour. Love the artstyle and I'm a sucker for great mythology but uhm...I'm not really feeling it, combat feels wonky, switching to ranged is really crappy. I'll give it another go, but it has to get better fast.
Echoes my thoughts. I gave it two more shots and an hour after that, but it didn't really get better. I think what you see in the first hour is what you get.

Manu

I also thought the game wasn't clicking with me, then I realized I had been playing for over two hours and beat two bosses.

I noticed framerate drops, so that sucks. The update we got got rid of them, mostly. Either that or I just stopped noticing them.

I also thought the game wasn't clicking with me, then I realized I had been playing for over two hours and beat two bosses.

I noticed framerate drops, so that sucks. The update we got got rid of them, mostly. Either that or I just stopped noticing them.

What update? The game drops frames the second you reach one of the first fires. It sometimes feels like moving under water. Junk.

HDM

I was cleaning PS+ games and their save of my hdd, and then i noticed that the savegame of Aphotheon is 300Mb.

Someone can check and confirm ?

I was cleaning PS+ games and their save of my hdd, and then i noticed that the savegame of Aphotheon is 300Mb.

Someone can check and confirm ?

Yeah mine is 304.1 MB. Even Dragon Age is only 134 MB and it has 8 different saves.

After I got past some of the bad slowdown places the game has gotten better. They need to take care of that because it makes the game feel bad. Apollo's area plays really well compared to everything before it.

ThatManTy

Neo Member
This looks like Outland, mixed with Rag Doll Kung Fu controls. I'm gonna spend some time with the other + games this month before I jump into this.

Fuz

Banned
It looks absolutely fantastic, but I really hate the flash-style fixed parts animations.

Seems cool, tho.

Quasar

Been waiting so long for this. Mostly due to the style.

And am really liking it so far. perhaps my most enjoyable ancient greek style game.

Though I guess moving between levels can be a bit finicky at time. And I would have preferred greek sounding voice actors.

hydruxo

I just tried it from a friend on PS4. The game runs terribly.
It has massive frame drops EVERYWHERE, lol.
Also the game crashed in the
escape-from-the-fire section in Hades

Thus, the game is fun. Nothing innovative, but fun.

Also, I think the best way to play this is on PC, with mouse and keyboard. On PS4 aiming to open gate by throwing stuff, expecially if you are chased, is way to difficult.

Not every game needs to be innovative. As long as it's fun that's good enough for me.

Skux

Is there any platinum trophy for this?

[url="http://www.exophase.com/game/apotheon-ps4/trophies/]Yes![/url]

MtstTlt.png

I was looking forward to this but unfortunately I don't think I'm a fan. The combat just doesn't work for me. They brought along that floaty hack & slash feeling that nearly every action-RPG seems to have, and mixed with the flailing enemies and awkward weapon switching, I just can't get comfortable. Played for about 2 hours last night before the game crashed in Hades and I had no urge to start it back up. The story also wasn't doing anything for me. The artstyle is gorgeous, obviously, but that's about all I took away from it.

I've also been seeing this happening more and more recently, but devs have got to realize that analog sticks tend to drift a bit after using the controller for dozens of hours. The dead zones need to be a little bigger.

yamo

Liked everything except the frame rate drops and the crashes so far. How is it possible to not get a game like this running without frame rate drops on the PS4?

Derpyduck

Banned

It's not that dislike it, but I definitely don't like it. If that makes sense. Whenever a new game in this genre comes out I go into it hoping for another gem like Metroid or Shadow Complex, but more often than not I'm disappointed. This one disappointed me greatly. Mostly due to the gameplay/combat. It's not satisfying to me at all. But the ultimate killer is the framerate. If you can't get that right in a game like this, don't release your game.

So many weapons just an hour in! Love experimenting around. The Hydra Fangs against the Tyrant made him a piece of cake. The combat is very refreshing being based on timing and spacing.

The music is fantastic, too. Can't wait to play more.

Is anyone else having trouble installing this? My download keeps getting stuck at around 10 mbs and then I get an error message saying "cannot download". Sometimes if I hit retry a few times it will download but then it won't install. When this happens it says the download is corrupted. I was able to download transistor and rogue legacy fine :/

Derpyduck

Banned
Is anyone else having trouble installing this? My download keeps getting stuck at around 10 mbs and then I get an error message saying "cannot download". Sometimes if I hit retry a few times it will download but then it won't install. When this happens it says the download is corrupted. I was able to download transistor and rogue legacy fine :/

I downloaded it and Transistor at the same time. When the downloads completed, Transistor had Apotheon's cover art, and when I attempted to start it, it crashed. Not sure what's going on. The only thing different with my PS4 is that I put a 2TB drive in it.

Liked everything except the frame rate drops and the crashes so far. How is it possible to not get a game like this running without frame rate drops on the PS4?

Yup love everything except those frame drops. Luckily no crashes, but Ive only just beat the tutorial

I had a problem with the update files for a couple of the games upon waking the system up from sleep mode. Same or similar message. But going into the notifications/downloads section and trying the download again worked for me.

Edit: Actually, it was an install issue for me. Re-initiating the install worked.

Just defeated Apollo and I'm enjoying the game.
The combat could've been a little less clunky but so far a pretty solid game.
And watch out for the dogs, those bastards are annoying.

I totally disagree with the hate, but that's how it goes I guess.

I'm a huge Souls head, so using R1/R2 for right hand and L2 for left hand feels right at home, along with circle to dodge.

Yeah I didn't really expect people to struggle with the whole L2/R2 thing, felt fine after the first few minutes of combat.

No crashes here thankfully. Really love the menu UI too, saving is quick which is nice.

sheaaaa

Can anyone confirm if there are huge differences between the PC and PS4 versions? I'd prefer it on PC but have it free on PS4, but if it performs noticeably worse then I'll hold off.

Yeah I didn't really expect people to struggle with the whole L2/R2 thing, felt fine after the first few minutes of combat.

No crashes here thankfully. Really love the menu UI too, saving is quick which is nice.

It's weird that I noticed you can save wherever in the game, maybe I've been playing too many games with checkpoint type saving.

Dsyndrome

Fun game. As already commented, save game is 304.1 MB on PS4. What could possibly be contained in that to explain the size? Had to manage automatic save uploads for the first time because of it.

Top Bottom