• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apotheon |OT| Pot of War: Vase of Olympus

hydruxo

Really pumped to play this. I love Greek mythology and the way they translated the art into the game is incredible.

Yeah, don't get the QWOP reference at all. Got me worried! This has been near the top of my list since it was announced, hope the gameplay holds up.

Yes!

Gave it a few minutes and the deaths are so satisfying lol.
ivtq2HrbJ3ptD.gif

i21gisPELQhXV.gif

irP0Ejx8UJ3eD.gif

Skux

Sorry about the OT title, it's my first OT and I know people like to be clever with them but I guess I missed the mark.

I was looking on impressions threads and the two big things were the Metroidvania comparisons, and the animations which people on GAF said looked janky and reminded them of QWOP. So I went with the latter because I could fit in a Greek/God of War reference. I knew some people wouldn't like it but seeing as the game is free on PS Plus this month I don't think it's that detrimental when people can try it out for themselves.

I'll add some review links when I get to work.

Slixshot

Banned
Sorry about the OT title, it's my first OT and I know people like to be clever with them but I guess I missed the mark.

I was looking on impressions threads and the two big things were the Metroidvania comparisons, and the animations which people on GAF said looked janky and reminded them of QWOP. So I went with the latter because I could fit in a Greek/God of War reference. I knew some people wouldn't like it but seeing as the game is free on PS Plus this month I don't think it's that detrimental when people can try it out for themselves.

I'll add some review links when I get to work.

Learn to title, BRO!
Just kidding. It's a title. People need to relax. Bunch of babies. OP is gorgeous!

Anywho, free you say? Sounds good to me. Will give it a whirl.

Nikodemos

Well, you could have gone with something a bit more nonsensical, like "Painted Warriors" orsmth. People generally tend to be intrigued by nonsensical titles. Using the name of another game which may or may not be popular isn't as efficient.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It's a fine title, QWOP is what some of the animation looked like to me as well.

No one is disputing that the animation bears similarities to QWOP. It's just that QWOP is basically a joke game designed to frustrate the user which no one would ever pay for. So for people who actually know what QWOP is and don't know anything about Apotheon, they probably won't assume it's just a reference to the animation. I guess some of those people might find the title intriguing rather than off-putting... anyway, that's enough about the title. Looking forward to playing later!

bigkrev

Got scared by the title. Glad it was just a missunderstanding.

Probably will play this mostly on Vita via Remote Play.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
OP can always PM a mod requesting a title change to something else if people feel it's too misleading.

BluWacky

"Do not button mash!"

*button mashes way through first level*

So far so okay (I bought this for the aesthetic, as I teach Classics!). I'm not a fan of the trigger buttons for attacking, for some reason - don't know why it bothers me, I guess because the attacking is essentially a digital process here. Otherwise it's some slightly clunky 2D action thus far.

I hasten to add that I've only done the "training" level and just got to the game proper.

I just finished the tutorial area. It seems pretty fun so far. Jumping feels good, as does attacking. The only thing I don't really like is that the animation for climbing up ledges doesn't look so great; but other than that the game looks really nice. Different weapons have different animations and attack speeds; button mashing is NOT recommended. Much like Dark Souls, you need to understand the range and speed of each weapon, and attack when you have an opening.

Edit- Once you finish the tutorial area, you can choose an difficulty. Default is "Warrior Difficulty," and "Champion DIfficulty" is the harder option.

Champion Difficulty:
-Getting hit will interrupt your attacks
-Enemies have 50% more damage
-Enemies have 15% more health
-Enemies have 50% faster attack speed

Here are some screenshots:

Durante

I just played this for half an hour (up to the first boss). Seems fun so far, a lot more "RPG elements" than I expected. The controls took a few minutes of acclimatizing, but now I think I like them.

Different weapons have different animations and attack speeds;
Yeah, I was surprised at how significant the differences between weapons are.

Skux

Thank you to Cornballer for the changing the title, now let's talk about the game and not the thread :p

The Incgamers review is the only one up so far but looks pretty positive (8/10).

Sounds like a good game so far. Negative impressions shouldn't deter PS+ subscribers from trying for themselves anyway since there's nothing to lose.

i like the title change!

Keep the impressions coming, I'm almost done with classes!

Arrows seem pretty good; I was able to stunlock the tutorial boss and cancel his attack animations.

When you're in the area directly after the tutorial, you can be a jerk and attack the villagers; guards will order you to pay a fine, but you can choose to 'brandish your weapon' and take them on. Taking on 3 guards at once was not a good idea, especially since I was on Champion difficulty. Luckily, I saved my game right before choosing to be a jerk.

SerTapTap

I did a first look showing the first level or whatever of the game--I like the open-ish structure and it plays almost as good as it looks (and it looks completely fantastic).

Combat is pretty sweet, every weapon is a game of spacing and timing. Spears are high damage but very fidly to get right--but also very safe when you're using them right. Short swords are quick and simple but it's easy to get hurt even when using them right.

Arrows seem pretty good; I was able to stunlock the tutorial boss and cancel his attack animations.

When you're in the area directly after the tutorial, you can be a jerk and attack the villagers; guards will order you to pay a fine, but you can choose to 'brandish your weapon' and take them on. Taking on 3 guards at once was not a good idea, especially since I was on Champion difficulty. Luckily, I saved my game right before choosing to be a jerk.

I didn't bother being a jerk, if you beat the guards do they stop following you? I was afraid of a TES style "they never forget" thing

I did a first look showing the first level or whatever of the game--I like the open-ish structure and it plays almost as good as it looks (and it looks completely fantastic).

Combat is pretty sweet, every weapon is a game of spacing and timing. Spears are high damage but very fidly to get right--but also very safe when you're using them right. Short swords are quick and simple but it's easy to get hurt even when using them right.

I didn't bother being a jerk, if you beat the guards do they stop following you? I was afraid of a TES style "they never forget" thing

I did it and killed some guards; I think it's a one time thing, since I proceeded to kill more villagers and another guard stopped me with the same message and choice to pay a fine or fight. I don't know if there's a morality system in the game or not.

Corpekata

Banned
Game gets more fun once you move on from human enemies. Humans are just kinda flailing and not too fun to fight but other stuff is. Game is huge. Keep stumbling over new stuff. Just bought a recipe for an Arrow Sentry from a hunter in the Forest of Artemis.

SerTapTap

I did it and killed some guards; I think it's a one time thing, since I proceeded to kill more villagers and another guard stopped me with the same message and choice to pay a fine or fight. I don't know if there's a morality system in the game or not.

Doesn't sound too bad then. I might go ahead and steal if I see anything worth losing some HP over. I only got a bit past the first area since I played it three times (two takes of the video...stupid oversensitive mic)

DrKelpo

Banned
wow...through this thread my interest went from 0(read the title, didn't knew the game) to 100(i know, i'm going to love it)

SerTapTap

That was my hope too, but they stuck attack and defend on R2/L2 and there's no way to change it. I'm going to have to play this on the console.

Haven't played the PS version yet, but yeah there's kinda too many buttons to perfectly put it on remote play. Though attack/defend as shoulders on Vita with back touch for offhand/throw would certainly be preferable. No settings to that effect? I'll mess with it tonight. I'll ask the dev if there's no way to get it a bit more sensible.

Teggy

Haven't played the PS version yet, but yeah there's kinda too many buttons to perfectly put it on remote play. Though attack/defend as shoulders on Vita with back touch for offhand/throw would certainly be preferable. No settings to that effect? I'll mess with it tonight. I'll ask the dev if there's no way to get it a bit more sensible.

Right now, top front corners are L2/R2. If they had just switched that with the shoulder buttons on the Vita, seems like it would work just fine. But having to guard with the movement thumb definitely doesn't work. Not sure if the is any L3/R3 in the game.

SerTapTap

Right now, top front corners are L2/R2. If they had just switched that with the shoulder buttons on the Vita, seems like it would work just fine. But having to guard with the movement thumb definitely doesn't work. Not sure if the is any L3/R3 in the game.

R3 moves the camera, not really necessary. Don't think L3 does anything

wait, top FRONT corners? That's a new one. I'll play with it a bit but I'll probably ask the dev about giving a swap option/swapping it on the fly with remoteplay. I know some games swap 'em automatically, doesn't Destiny?

SerTapTap

TLOU uses front bottom corners for L3/R3 (I forget what they are but they're not very important) and I think that works pretty well, at least for single press/toggle actions. I actually think that should be the default over the 4 rear touch buttons, as it let them use much larger areas on the rear, and only two of them, making them much less clumsy. In addition, you could swap L1/L2 (remoteplay or not)

Fighting satyrs in the forest is pretty tough (I'm playing on Champion). These guys can pick you up by your face and throw you. It feels like fighting a Black/Silver Knight in Dark Souls, but without backstabs. Using a sword and rolling a lot seems to help.

An amusing story: I saw a satyr on a ledge and started firing arrows at it. It fell back a few times and came back into view, then picked up a boulder and tried to kill me with it, but by this time he was so weakened with arrows that one more shot killed him.

Corpekata

Banned
Also if you play on PC and automatically went pad since it's a 2d game, try out the mouse controls. They're actually really good and make scrolling through the shitton of items in this game a lot easier.

Corpekata

Banned
Fighting satyrs in the forest is pretty tough (I'm playing on Champion). These guys can pick you up by your face and throw you. It feels like fighting a Black/Silver Knight in Dark Souls, but without backstabs. Using a sword and rolling a lot seems to help.

An amusing story: I saw a satyr on a ledge and started firing arrows at it. It fell back a few times and came back into view, then picked up a boulder and tried to kill me with it, but by this time he was so weakened with arrows that one more shot killed him.

Do you mean the big Pig guys? Satyrs in my experience didn't even attack, and didn't do any pick up motions.

But yeah fighting those guys are an example of why I like fighting non-humans more.

SerTapTap

Also if you play on PC and automatically went pad since it's a 2d game, try out the mouse controls. They're actually really good and make scrolling through the shitton of items in this game a lot easier.

Yeah, the mouse controls worked quite good (and you can do motions with your mouse instead of the left analog to swing in different ways), though I still prefer pad myself for comfort. Hard to beat a mouse for scrolling and picking out of tons of teeny little icons though.

Do you mean the big Pig guys? Satyrs in my experience didn't even attack, and didn't do any pick up motions.

But yeah fighting those guys are an example of why I like fighting non-humans more.

Oh, I thought those were satyrs, since Artemis' maidens told me to get rid of them. I'm doing the quest to kill the Chimera at the moment, and the forest is full of these dudes.

Top Bottom