• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apotheon |OT| Pot of War: Vase of Olympus

Played through the first part(first boss). Was pretty fun. I really don't understand the whole weapon drop stuff though. If I drop a weapon I should be able to pick it back up but can't sometimes. I had the axe but lost it somewhere but after I got through the boss I had the axe again. I don't understand.

Really enjoying this so far. I only have a few minor complaints: mainly, switching between weapons isn't very smooth and weapons break a bit quicker than I'd like. In one section, the game crashed three times, but at least it seems to be good about autosaving.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a section that encouraged stealthiness. And after seeing the unique design of the first real boss fight I encountered (against
Artemis
, not the end-of-prologue one), I'm very interested in seeing what the rest are like.

Axass

I had this on my radar ever since the original announcement years (?) ago, mostly due to the greek pottery aesthetics. However I honestly did not expect such incredibly positive reviews.

So I posted this at the other thread, but I'll post it here too - I have an extra Steam key for this game that I'd like to give away... In some cool way. I don't wanna hijack the thread, but anyone have suggestions as to how I can go about this? For some reason I can't post a new thread either...

You need 300 posts and 3 months (or 4?) to become a full fledged member and be able to post new threads.

Anyway usually it's not advised to make a new thread for a giveaway, unless you're givinhg away dozens of games (like KenOD). For normal giveaways people usually use this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460878&page=141

Or you can give it away in this very thread, so that you can be sure it goes to someone interested in the game. Either way I suggest you to use Modbot, which is the fairest way to give steam keys away, it takes only a few minutes to learn and it's fully automated: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=858592

An other method involves embedding the key in EMAIL tags, so that it can be seen only by those registered on the site through quoting. Example:

[/EMAIL]

ShadowNate

Played through the first part(first boss). Was pretty fun. I really don't understand the whole weapon drop stuff though. If I drop a weapon I should be able to pick it back up but can't sometimes. I had the axe but lost it somewhere but after I got through the boss I had the axe again. I don't understand.

I think for some weapons you can only have one of them (in quantity), but for others (eg the ranged weapons, arrows, javelins etc) you can have up to a number of them.
If you reach the maximum allowed number, you won't be able to pick up any more of those.

However, there also seems to be a system (especially noticeable with the shields - you can only carry one shield at anytime) where you can pick another weapon or shield if it is less broken than the one you carry, and then you can't pick up the one you just dropped (presumably because it is considered inferior).

Edit: I've gotten used to the controls and I quite like the freedom (and the hilarious moments) of the combat. I am throwing all kinds of stuff to enemies (and usually afterwards I have to pickup my main melee weapons that I scattered all over the place). Also boulders and huge oil jars. The few boss fights I've encountered, up to now, feel very satisfying and some are quite more fun -and substantially different- than just fighting a shielded opponent. So far, I am loving this.

I should also say that the music is excellent, and the art style looks even better on my TV screen (than what I'd seen in some youtube videos). Also there is some more variety in the color pallete than just orange and black.

Holy shit this is great.

I really don't understand the whole weapon drop stuff though. If I drop a weapon I should be able to pick it back up but can't sometimes. I had the axe but lost it somewhere but after I got through the boss I had the axe again. I don't understand.
If you are carrying another of that weapon with more durability left than the one on the ground it won't let you swap.
Only some weapons allow you to carry multiple of them, you can check that in the inventory. It's the number under the damage (5 Doru, 10 knives, 50 Hydra Fang's, etc).

orborborb

The developers made a very polished and fun game, and they have beautiful art and music, which cleverly connects thematically to the game they made...

But it just doesn't connect ENOUGH, as I become more immersed in the gameplay I enjoy the style less, and when I try to appreciate the style more I wish I weren't playing this kind of game.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Played a lot last night. Great fun and really impressive all around. Up through Artemis and Demeter. Fuck wolves, but yeah super fun so far. Can't wait to get back home tonight and play some more.

RS4-

Haven't had a chance to actually play it on ps4, decoded a few mins ago to do it via remote play and... This is close to unplayable for me with the default vita controls. Unless I'm completely missing out on some button config

MMaRsu

Banned
Pretty dope game, it has a nice artstyle and the gameplay is nice too. looks to be a nice ride :). Quite the surprise!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I added it to my PSN library yesterday but now that I actually know a bit about it I guess I have to download it and actually play it. Looks pretty cool.

Haunted

I don't think the combat in this is actually good? The ranged weapon system is also clunky, I dislike games that make me switch my main weapon to do a ranged attack when the combat is this fast-paced. RB should probably have been a dedicated ranged attack button for the selected secondary weapon. Stairs and slopes breaking your run also feels bad, especially with the narrow design in some areas.

On the positive side, I really like the darkness effect of an actual pottery texture obscuring your view, the apparent size of the game and the variety in design (Artemis boss fight is a good example for everything good and bad with the game).

That said, at its core... it just doesn't seem all that fun to actually move around and fight, which is kind of a big deal.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I don't think the combat in this is actually good? The tanned weapon system is also clunky as fuck, I dislike games that make me switch my main weapon to do a ranged attack when the combat is this fast-paceshould probably should've been a dedicated ranged attack button with the secondary weapon. Stairs and slopes breaking your run also feels bad, especially with the narrow design in some areas.

On the positive side, I really like the darkness effect of an actual pottery texture obscuring your view, the apparent size of the game and the variety in design (Artemis boss fight is a good example for everything good and bad with the game).

That said, at its core... it just doesn't seem all that fun to actually move around and fight, which is kind of a big deal. :lol

Something that helps is to keep your thumbs on both sticks even for melee, using the right stick to aim your melee strike.

I found that if I don't do this, the really sensitive deadzone they programmed in makes my character sometimes face the wrong direction when I let go of the movement stick.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Enjoying this. Reached the Olympus Gates. I can travel to any destination from there? How does that work? Didn't mess about afterwards, but will do so now.

Wish the combat was combo-based. Its pretty clunky. Otherwise, enjoyable.

The soundtrack though is amazing. Cant seem to find it anywhere.

Haunted

Something that helps is to keep your thumbs on both sticks even for melee, using the right stick to aim your melee strike.

I found that if I don't do this, the really sensitive deadzone they programmed in makes my character sometimes face the wrong direction when I let go of the movement stick.
Yeah, additionally it's not even just the deadzone, the auto lock-on just can't keep up when facing several enemies like the wolves in the forest or skeletons in Hades.
It's also quick to spaz out when you get too close/switch places with an enemy or try too much fancy movement like jumping attacks. Feels like the physics sometimes can't cope with the fast movements of the enemies. I've been thrown halfway across the screen by attacks hitting at a certain angle.

Haunted

Enjoying this. Reached the Olympus Gates. I can travel to any destination from there? How does that work? Didn't mess about afterwards, but will do so now.

Wish the combat was combo-based. Its pretty clunky. Otherwise, enjoyable.

The soundtrack though is amazing. Cant seem to find it anywhere.
You'll unlock warp points in each area to enable fast travel. Agora is the main hub from where you venture into most areas.

Downloaded this last night, looking forward to playing it - probably after Transistor, just because I've already played Bastion and know I like Supergiant's output. But I am super-excited for this. The art looks amazing.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I just beat the first boss and the game is asking if I want to raise the difficulty. Would you guys say the higher difficulty makes for a better experience?

Bullitus

Completely forgot about this. Seems like a perfect game for PS+ and the art style is absolutely fantastic. I'm stuck at work but at least the game will be ready to go when I get home.

Played this for about an hour last night and was competely floored by how much I enjoyed it. Having picked it up at the same time as Transistor on PS+ I expected to pour MUCH more time into Transistor than this, and now I'm not so sure.

Played it for a few minutes last night and the art style is fantastic. They really nail it. Gameplay seems fun too, though the art style can be a bit of a detriment as it can take a minute to figure out where you can/can't go in the environment. Definitely want to spend more time with it though.

Guevara

Very much enjoying this. I booted it up just to see, ended up playing to the first boss.

Controls are a little goofy (loose or something), but I'm getting used to it.

Monochrome_F3ar

Neo Member
This game is really fun. Cleared the first level yesterday and hag a blast. As a fan of Greek mythology I'm loving it plus the art style is pretty damn awesome.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just found the bow of Artemis. Holy crap, what an intense boss fight. XD

Does having that bow give you a new weapon or any benefits? I looked around my character and inventory and didn't see anything after I finished that fight...

This is a great little game. Kind of like Dark Souls Lite 2D. Beautiful and fun. Kind of what I wanted Guacamelee to be, but then it got so bogged down in weird phase shifting puzzles and I quit. Think I'll finish this one.

Only played for about two hours but had to stop. I just adore the Ancient Greek pottery motif in this game but I had to shut it off as my TV's settings were resetted or something. <sigh> Gotta find some calibration program or something.

Neat game though and I'm going to finish this up for sure. Fine music too.

Skux

kbKkYEU.png

ibgldiO38zZ4TG.gif

Knew I'd catch one of these in here lol

Anyway, I can finally play this tonight!

Just deleted this in the end. Has so many issues which are apparent immediately as you start that it's staggering they weren't rectified before it came out.

Really glad to have paid nothing for this. Will go back to it if they ever patch it, though, it has potential.

A really cool game and concept but it needs a patch or two or three. The slowdown, the wonky controls, the drifting, and Hades seems to have some real bad crashing. I've crashed three times in Hades and only been there for 10 minutes. Usually on door opening or death.

Top Bottom