• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apotheon |OT| Pot of War: Vase of Olympus

Skux

Eurogamer: 8/10

If it played just a little tighter, Apotheon would be brushing up against greatness. As it stands, it's stunning to look at and a pleasure to play, and what flaws it does have can be easily overlooked by anyone looking for something smart and stylish.

IGN: 6.9/10

Unfortunately, a ho-hum story and frustrating controls prevent me from doing the same for its moment-to-moment gameplay. No matter how pretty it is, unless it nails the feeling of movement and smooth combat, an action-platformer can’t be much more than an enjoyable diversion.

Hanmik

played for 2+ hours last night.. fun game.. not a fan of the artstyle, it is a fun game.. but I hate the map, and the backtracking..

took me 5 tries to finish the drinking contest .. lol

Knuf

Started the game yesterday (thank you based PS+), and I like what I played so far: the only complaint I have is the combat which really feels a little wonky.
Quick question: anybody tried to play it at champion difficulty? Is it worth it?

danowat

Banned
Had a play on it this morning, impressions below.

Absolutely love the art style, really nice and different, quite vibrant too.

Combat is..........Ok, there is something not quite right though, I think the issue maybe due to a lack of inertia and weight on the main character, plus, there is a weird "marionette / puppet" thing going on with the arms and legs, which just makes it feel a bit odd, this may have been a design decision though, I am not sure.

Couple of things I don't like, firstly, the semi transparent map overly, why?, it doesn't make any sense at all, just means you can't see the map very well, secondly, selecting the inventory and crafting from the pause menu it, to me, a strange design decision, why not just make it possible to go to the inv and crafting from the map?, or at a single button press.

Other than that, an interesting Metrovania style game.

Yea, they really should do something about the map. Its dreadful and tough to see at times. They should just show the full map and pause the game like similar titles instead of this real time, transparent thing they have going. Just beat Artemis which was a neat boss but a big tough. Sometimes I had trouble going down floors/steps during the fight. My combat timing is still off but I like the game so far and will keep going.

Tried this on remote play with my vita but noticed that the shoulder buttons are reversed. L1 is switched with L2 and R1 is switched with R2. This makes it real awkward to play has anyone else noticed this?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Fun game. As already commented, save game is 304.1 MB on PS4. What could possibly be contained in that to explain the size? Had to manage automatic save uploads for the first time because of it.

It's because it saves a snapshot of the entire game state because you can save anywhere.

That said, it's extremely unoptimized. They are probably just brute force saving memory state.

I had a problem with the update files for a couple of the games upon waking the system up from sleep mode. Same or similar message. But going into the notifications/downloads section and trying the download again worked for me.

Edit: Actually, it was an install issue for me. Re-initiating the install worked.

I've deleted and tried reinstalling at least 10 times now with no luck. This kind of happened once before and I made a thread about it. That issue was just with the update though, not the entire download. I'm guessing it can be my console but since I've been able to download and install at least 7 games fine since then, I don't see why it would be.

I was really looking forward to this :/

Tried it

Wish they had went a different route for the controls and attack animations

The Terraria setup really hurts it

Should have made set attack animations Castlevania style and more fluid movement

Zolbrod

My experiences seem the polar opposite of everyone else's.

The game runs super smooth (some occasional slowdown maybe) but it's boring as fuck. Don't see what people like about this AT ALL.

Just coming out of my 3rd playthrough of Guacamelee, this game absolutely pales in comparison. One of the most boring Metroid-style games I've ever laid my hands on.
Controls are wonky, combat is not fun, exploration feels like a chore, environments all look the same.

No sir, I don't like it.

I am enjoying this game but I am now having trouble in Hades.
I need to cross the last river (seems to be actually a tower on fire) and I keep dying.
To make it even more frustrating, every time I die, the game crashes. Grrrr ... Just turned it off the fifth time it crashed.

Not as good as Guacamelee but still enjoying myself. Is there any point to half the stuff collected from all the destroyed boxes and baskets?

Cheers

I've deleted and tried reinstalling at least 10 times now with no luck. This kind of happened once before and I made a thread about it. That issue was just with the update though, not the entire download. I'm guessing it can be my console but since I've been able to download and install at least 7 games fine since then, I don't see why it would be.

I was really looking forward to this :/
Did you get the same error code from your other thread? For me, there was no error code - just a message that the update failed to install. But reinstalling it did the trick for me, thankfully. I'm not sure what's going on with you. What a clusterfuck. I think Sony's servers may be having minor issues though.

Look at this guy's weird error:

I downloaded Apotheon and Rogue Legacy, but both games show up as Apotheon. I can play Rogue Legacy, but in the process of playing it I've been unlocking achievements in Apotheon! Anyone know how I can fix this?
And he's not the only one.

Auctopus

Just gonna x-post my first impressions from PS4.

Apotheon is brilliant. As someone who studied Classics at A-Level, this is such a treat.

I've just beaten Apollo, my first boss fight and it was great. Some quick impressions...

- Great VA.
- Nailed aesthetic.
- Great use of mythology.
- The mission structures are well organised, ordered by each God.
- Boss fights are great so far.
- Clear progression. Statues crumble once the boss is defeated, ala SOTC.

Some bad notes...

- Some framerate issues, game slows right down with a lot of enemies on screen.
- UI is a little small. Bit of memorisation is in order.
- Enemies' defensive tactic just seems to be walk backwards until you encounter more enemies. Hoplite is the only relevant weapon at this point.

Did you get the same error code from your other thread? For me, there was no error code - just a message that the update failed to install. But reinstalling it did the trick for me, thankfully. I'm not sure what's going on with you. What a clusterfuck. I think Sony's servers may be having minor issues though.

Wow his issue is very weird. Yeah I get the same error code from my thread. The only difference is that the 2K15 disc install went through fine but when I try to update the game, the install gives that code and says it's corrupted not allowing me to update. With Apotheon it's the opposite as the download of the game itself gives the corrupted data error code while the update downloads fine.

Wow his issue is very weird. Yeah I get the same error code from my thread. The only difference is that the 2K15 disc install went through fine but when I try to update the game, the install gives that code and says it's corrupted not allowing me to update. With Apotheon it's the opposite as the download of the game itself gives the corrupted data error code while the update downloads fine.
I'm sure you've already thought of this/done it, but just in case...

Are you erasing the corrupted update file first before you try it again?

The only thing that could possibly make this game any cooler looking is if they literally projected the gameplay into the surface of a 3D vase.

MrCow

i just tried it but cant really play, because there seems to be a control error where the character constantly tries to walk to the left ...

i tried reseting the game, reseting the ps4 , nothing changed :(
then i thought, fuck maybe my controller is tilted or even completly broken but i don't have this error when i play other games like The Swapper

I'm sure you've already thought of this/done it, but just in case...

Are you erasing the corrupted update file first before you try it again?

If by erasing you mean deleting then yeah. I press options on the download and hit delete before trying again. I've also tried it while going into settings -> data management and then deleting.

Started the game yesterday (thank you based PS+), and I like what I played so far: the only complaint I have is the combat which really feels a little wonky.
Quick question: anybody tried to play it at champion difficulty? Is it worth it?

I'm playing on Champion. I only died once in the two hours I've played. It doesn't feel frustrating to me.

If by erasing you mean deleting then yeah. I press options on the download and hit delete before trying again. I've also tried it while going into settings -> data management and then deleting.
What a cluster. I know PS4 has some kind of secret safe mode type of menu. Have you tried accessing that? Just make sure you know what you're doing.

Alpende

Damn, lazy me. Thanks! I hope this game is any good. Diggin the style and gameplay from the vids, but read about sluggish controls. Is it true?

You need to get used to the controls, they can feel a little floaty in the beginning. Now that I've played 4 hours the controls are not too bad, you get used to them. Other than that, I'd say give the game a go. I really like the visuals as well and the gameplay is fine, upgrading and getting stronger feels good.

There's also quite a bit of diversity from what I've seen so that's good. The one true boss battle that I've been in so far was very original. Haven't come across something like it in other games.

Just give it a go, really.

Sh0k

I had kind off like a similar problem. Left downloading overnight Transistor and Apotheon but this morning while trying the games, got a message that the update failed and both games Apotheon and Transistor had the icon of transistor. Tried re-downloading the update and deleting the game, but it locked my PS4 to the point that I had to unplug the power from the system.

After restarting the PS4, all the icons were fixed but I haven't tried playing the game again.

What a cluster. I know PS4 has some kind of secret safe mode type of menu. Have you tried accessing that? Just make sure you know what you're doing.

When it first happened with 2K I was in a chat with a Sony rep and they had me reboot the system in safe mode and try all sorts of stuff. I re-initialized my console a few times too. When nothing worked they said my console was fine because it was only the one game and had me contact 2K directly. Now that it happened again with this I'm not so sure what to do. I shot the developer of apotheon an e-mail in hopes that they would be more useful than 2K but I haven't heard back yet. I'm starting to think there's not much I can do. Thanks for help too BargainHunta

Ame

Anybody else experiencing lots of crashes? Played last night and the game crashed 4-5 times, giving me an error code and going straight to the PS4 UI. I had no problems the day I downloaded it.

Cob32

Anybody else experiencing lots of crashes? Played last night and the game crashed 4-5 times, giving me an error code and going straight to the PS4 UI. I had no problems the day I downloaded it.

Yea it crashes loads. If it wasn't for the auto saving I probably would of deleted it by now.

yatesl

The controls are a major put off - if I had this on the PC, I'd remap them with DS4Tool.

Why oh why force us to use the analogue stick on a 2D platformer, with attack on R2? Even R1 would have been better.

Just booted it up.

I can definitely get used to the controls, but the animations of the main character are just weird as shit.

If I tap the left stick to move sometimes, it just starts walking all by itself until I stop it. Only does it when going left too.

Haunted

yo I just saw the PS4 version in the GB QL.

Holy shit at the huge framerate drops. Looked basically unplayable whenever that happened.

petran79

Banned
Is the PS4 gamepad as sensitive as kb/M controls on right thumb stick?
On PC precise aiming with arrows was impossible on a gamepad.

My experiences seem the polar opposite of everyone else's.

The game runs super smooth (some occasional slowdown maybe) but it's boring as fuck. Don't see what people like about this AT ALL.

Just coming out of my 3rd playthrough of Guacamelee, this game absolutely pales in comparison. One of the most boring Metroid-style games I've ever laid my hands on.
Controls are wonky, combat is not fun, exploration feels like a chore, environments all look the same.

No sir, I don't like it.

Presentation has very good quality, including sources from popular and obscure ancient texts.
It present Ancient Greek legends more faithfully and respectfully than any video game so far.
Main reason I played it was to forget about that travesty called God of War.
Regarding gameplay it lacks, I agree. Too easy with overabundance of items.

Alpende

Just booted it up.

I can definitely get used to the controls, but the animations of the main character are just weird as shit.

If I tap the left stick to move sometimes, it just starts walking all by itself until I stop it. Only does it when going left too.

Mine does that as well but only when he moves to the right. It's annoying.

petran79

Banned

Have you reached Poseidon's and Athena's levels?

Try aiming those targets with a gamepad.

direction and power control with arrows does not work on a right thumb stick like it does with a mouse! Had to switch controls on those levels

I like it. The combat system isn't good enough to consider the game top tier but it gets the job done and by job I mean being enjoyable

Emedan

Grabbed it from PS+, don't regret it at all, finished it yesterday it's a great game, took me roughly 8.5 hours to complete, had a few crashes though, mainly from opening chests and trying to retrieve special weapons I already had in my inventory it seems, I know I missed exploring a lot of places though, so there's lots of content.

Combat system I think was solid, but attack direction was a bit cumbersome to control.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Have you reached Poseidon's and Athena's levels?

Try aiming those targets with a gamepad.

direction and power control with arrows does not work on a right thumb stick like it does with a mouse! Had to switch controls on those levels

I just finished Poseidon's level.

On ps4 the game has some sort of target lock on that makes arrow combat more reliable on a gamepad.

Just got done playing for a few hours and I love this game. Definitely platinuming

I have all the trophies except the 3 most rare and two of those are glitched right now so the plat is unobtainable currently. The Zeus battle on Olympian difficulty was intense--really the first time I used potions.

Top Bottom