• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apotheon |OT| Pot of War: Vase of Olympus

I really want to play this, and I already downloaded it on my PS4, but I guess I'll wait for a patch (crashing several times per hour? no thanks). Hopefully they'll address this fast, before Bloodborne comes out, at least.

Namikaze

My experiences seem the polar opposite of everyone else's.

The game runs super smooth (some occasional slowdown maybe) but it's boring as fuck. Don't see what people like about this AT ALL.

Just coming out of my 3rd playthrough of Guacamelee, this game absolutely pales in comparison. One of the most boring Metroid-style games I've ever laid my hands on.
Controls are wonky, combat is not fun, exploration feels like a chore, environments all look the same.

No sir, I don't like it.

This is pretty much how I feel. I got Guacamelee during the last sale and couldn't get enough of it. After an hour or so of Apotheon I feel like I've had my fill. Already deleted it off my HD but I really enjoyed the intro of the game for what it's worth..

Jhn

The platforming physics / controls in this are really annoying. Weird semi-physically-correct floatyness.

Does this support 120 FPS(or even 60) on the PC? Was just going to play the free PS4 version but after seeing the abysmal framerate in the giantbomb quick look I've decided otherwise.

Anarion07

Okay so I really like this game a lot.
But right now it's infuriating.

First off, the Treasure Hunter Trophy is bugged for me.

Secondly, the final boss fight is buggy as hell.
Been thrown through a wall twice, so I had to kill myself to start again.
The enemy bugged through a wall twice, so I had to restart the game...
It's really annoying.

Just started last night and I like a lot of things about the game. But I noticed my character kept walking left on its own. Either one of my controllers is going to shit on me or its the game. I also found the right stick changes which direction you face. Haven't seen the flaws in this work yet but it's still early.

Any tips for climbing the burning tower in Hades? I keep dying at the part where I have to activate two blue switches to open a door. What is the fastest way to trigger theses switches? And my game crashes every time I die in this tower. Very frustrating!

Cheers

ShadowNate

Jump instead of climbing the slanted stairs, don't bother with killing enemies, and don't bother with side areas and secret or bonus stuff (at least not for you main playthrough).
The door switches should be easy to hit with a doru or arrows. You only need to hit once.

Also, make sure that your health is not too low beginning the section. If caught by the fire, you don't die instantly and you will probably will be under the "river" level one or two times; use a health potion.

Stuck in in the Raider Ship right a the begining. Big guy behind a red door. Can't open it. I threw my weapons at him : he died, dropped a key : can't reach it. What am I missing ?

Jump instead of climbing the slanted stairs, don't bother with killing enemies, and don't bother with side areas and secret or bonus stuff (at least not for you main playthrough).
The door switches should be easy to hit with a doru or arrows. You only need to hit once.

Also, make sure that your health is not too low beginning the section. If caught by the fire, you don't die instantly and you will probably will be under the "river" level one or two times; use a health potion.
Thanks for these tips. I will try again.

Cheers

Fuz

Banned
Played it for about an hour.
Exactly how I expected it:
- Fantastic art style
- Terrible animations
- Bad controls and character feedback
- Boring and uninteresting combat

I really want to like this, but I can't force myself to play it more.

I enjoyed this game but the combat never really clicked with me and the game crashed like four times in the span of 30 minuten. I also experienced some really terrible glitches that had me restarting entire sections of the game because I got stuck.

I also wouldn't call this a Metroidvania. There's barely any elements like it expect for the fact that it's 2D and that the map is pretty big.

13hs with all the obtainable trophies (there are two of them glitched). Fantastic game, combat works weird sometimes but I liked it. Excelent level design.

Just started last night and I like a lot of things about the game. But I noticed my character kept walking left on its own. Either one of my controllers is going to shit on me or its the game. I also found the right stick changes which direction you face. Haven't seen the flaws in this work yet but it's still early.

Happening to me as well. Don't think it's the controllers being borked as it doesn't happen to me in any other game.

pretty disappointed. not sure how this game reviewed as well as it did.

the controls feel pretty poor.

anyone content that they beat it? worthwhile?

Spineker

Banned
Just defeated Poseidon. Suffered the same glitched trophies as everyone else. Crashes are numerous still. Otherwise, I love the game.

Please patch soon.

So in the garden of artemis. One of the birds im supposed to hunt got stuck in a wall. Is there no way for me to open the 3rd trophy door now?

Spineker

Banned
So in the garden of artemis. One of the birds im supposed to hunt got stuck in a wall. Is there no way for me to open the 3rd trophy door now?

Have you tried explosives?

EDIT: Just beat Olympian, now I'm just waiting for them to patch the glitched trophies. Hopefully they'll retroactively unlock

Siegmeyer

I'm stuck in the Trial of Ability (rotating room puzzle) and hope someone can help.

I'm at a point where you need to cross a large gap. I can see that you need to use a projectile to hit a target on the other side to move a platform towards you, but none of my ranged weapons seem to have enough range. I'm close, but if I arc my throw any higher it hits the ceiling (yes, I'm using the on-screen map overlay).

Anyone got any pointers?

I'm stuck in the Trial of Ability (rotating room puzzle) and hope someone can help.

I'm at a point where you need to cross a large gap. I can see that you need to use a projectile to hit a target on the other side to move a platform towards you, but none of my ranged weapons seem to have enough range. I'm close, but if I arc my throw any higher it hits the ceiling (yes, I'm using the on-screen map overlay).

Anyone got any pointers?

Just did it with spark pellets.

Is it possible to do it standing on the very edge? I had to jump off and throw the spark pellets in mid-air to get it done.

Yeah put the map on while you're doing it and you can see where they're going and use that to adjust your aim.

Are they ever gonna fix the glitched trophies?

Patch is still in development by PS4 developers and should hopefully be submitted soon

https://twitter.com/alientrap/status/566640447523930112

Siegmeyer

Yeah put the map on while you're doing it and you can see where they're going and use that to adjust your aim.

I tried that but nothing had the range, hence why I posted here in the first place. No matter now as it's done, but it was kinda annoying whilst I was trying endless shots with all the different weapons

I tried that but nothing had the range, hence why I posted here in the first place. No matter now as it's done, but it was kinda annoying whilst I was trying endless shots with all the different weapons

Are you just throwing the pellets or holding the button before throwing? They have a sort of charge time and go much further when you have them spinning at full speed before throwing.

Aside from the constant crashing, this game is hella fun.

I've just cleared the Athena level and am exploring Acropolis. Heard one of the trophies is bugged so the platinum is unobtainable, that sucks :/

Alpende

Where can I get the Seal Of Acropolis? I'm stuck.

EDIT

I was suposed to get it but I didn't. What the hell. And now I can't continue, there's no way in hell I'm going to throw away my 6 hour save file. Hopefully they're gonna patch this shit.

Cess007

Just finished the game. Really liked it. Once you get the hold of the combat system, it's pretty cool to time your attacks, but i can see why a lot of people wouldn't like it. In general, the game is fun even tho exploration wasn't a big part as i was hoping.

The most big issue however, are the bugs and the slowdowns. The last part
Zeus fortress
it's almost impossible to complete due the framerate dropping terrible. I also had a couple of crashes, and one after a boss battle that i had to redo :(

The story is classic greek stuff, but i kinda liked it.
I totally expected Hera to betray you and have to fight her as final boss; it was cool that this time, it was a human betraying a god
. I want to go back to get all the chest and stuff, but i don't think i will boot the game again until the fix the framerate.

Just started playing this.
Feels very clunky so far does that get better?
And the icons and everything else are tiny I can hardly discern them sitting on my sofa.

Labadal

I'm actually really enjoying this. Beat the Chimera and one of the other bosses in the forest. Going to go to the Nymph hideout soon.

I was able to get the Platinum to the game, they have patched it. Overall I really enjoyed the game but the crashes were insane at the frequency the occurred. After the patch i never saw another one, but I also only played about 1.5 hours to finish the game off.

Our first Apotheon PS4 patch is now live in North America and Europe, version 1.02
Changes and fixes include:
– Fixed Vita Remote Play controller mappings.
– Added light bar support.
– Fixed bug that prevented Divine Wrath and Treasure Hunter trophies from unlocking.
– Physics stability improvements.
– Fixed some spelling errors.
– Zeus’ music no longer gets stuck when reloading.
– Added a confirmation box when returning to the main menu.
– Fixed bug with climbing walls.
– Elevators now reactivate after killing Ares.
– Fixed bug that caused certain gods to return to life when reloading a level.
– Aspis Shield added to Agora and Acropolis shops
– Fixed rare crash in Apollo’s stables.
– Fixed rare crash in Satyr temple.
– Fixed issue picking up Wild Trophy Key.
– Fixed crash in animation system.
– Adjusted controller deadzones.
– Grappling hooks no longer collide with doors or boats.

Now that the PS4 patch is finished we’ll be making more updates soon! We are experimenting with adding more coop elements, and still focused on a few small bugs/issues

cluto

Game still crashes when taking items out of chests. I guess I'll wait until the next patch to finish this game...

xrnzaaas

What about the frame drops on a PS4? I'd like to finish the game someday, but it seems like that the latest patch didn't solve everything.

Labadal

I finally beat it. Only missing the Olympian trophy.

It took me around 14-15 hours to find every item/chest, gain all the powers and do all side quests. I think I had 10 crashes during my sessions. That's a shame because other than that, I love the game.

Most things people complain about were things I liked. Combat was fun if a bit chaotic. Just defend and be cool, you'll be good and have enough endurance. I beat most bosses on my first try and when I died, it was my own fault.

People have said that Apotheon looks like a flash game. I would say that I love the style and it is what drew my attention to the game some years ago.

Audio was solid. Voice acting was good, the soundtrack sets up the mood and I liked the sound effects.

Despite some technical issues, Apotheon has been the best game I have played in 2015.

TM94

Getting into this a bit more now.

Just got to the second hub area, it's more enjoyable finding all the secrets than actually pursuing the main objectives imo.

Also, I have to say that I don't really like the combat, it feels clumsy and the way the enemies chaotically jump around is strange.

The Artemis boss tested my patience mind and weapon degradation mechanics suck

Labadal

Getting into this a bit more now.

Just got to the second hub area, it's more enjoyable finding all the secrets than actually pursuing the main objectives imo.

Also, I have to say that I don't really like the combat, it feels clumsy and the way the enemies chaotically jump around is strange.

The Artemis boss tested my patience mind and weapon degradation mechanics suck
Arrows or knives are best for that fight.

Labadal

I got the platinum trophy. That was some intense shit. On the last boss, I just cornered him and spammed attacks over and over again. First platinum on PS4. Only two on PS3 before this game.

Been playing this a little recently as I've been working on my PS4 backlog, yes such a thing exists already :'(

I've got to say, having a blast with this. I Love Greek Mythology being half Greek myself, and it really feels like a fun game to play.

It's like a 2D God of War without the extreme violence.

Been playing this on and off for a couple of weeks, but I put a few hours into this today an I'm really enjoying it. It's a bit simple for the typical Metroidvania, but honestly I'm quite appreciative of the waypoint markers because the game world is really large and it'd be very easy to get lost otherwise. The graphics and presentation are excellent (particularly the voice acting) and I quite like the bit of depth that having a large inventory brings. I think I'm about half way through (
now got to go after Ares, Athena and Poseidon
), and I've been partially following a guide and mopping up a few trophies. Really enjoying it so far; great stuff!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just started this myself. Just cleared Hades (well, sorta; I missed one locked door 'cause I ran out of lockpicks).

Any lasting consequences to making NPCs hostile? I got a key that allowed me to loot some stuff in the Agora market, but I kinda want to smash some stuff but of course that makes the guards hostile. If I just kill them will they respawn and be hostile every time I go back to the market?

Labadal

Just started this myself. Just cleared Hades (well, sorta; I missed one locked door 'cause I ran out of lockpicks).

Any lasting consequences to making NPCs hostile? I got a key that allowed me to loot some stuff in the Agora market, but I kinda want to smash some stuff but of course that makes the guards hostile. If I just kill them will they respawn and be hostile every time I go back to the market?
Kill away. Most NPCs with names have stuff. There are a few that shouldn't be killed.

I'm really enjoying this game, but I'm getting really fucking fed up with it constantly crashing. It's becoming more frequent the further in I get - between last night and tonight I've had five crashes over probably four hours' playtime. If I weren't so close to the end I'd sack it off. Just got
Athena and then Zeus to go now

Is there an 'Endless Summer' style option to play on after the end, or do I need to finish mopping up any trophies before
facing Zeus
?

Top Bottom