• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apotheon |OT| Pot of War: Vase of Olympus

Corpekata

Banned
Oh, I thought those were satyrs, since Artemis' maidens told me to get rid of them. I'm doing the quest to kill the Chimera at the moment, and the forest is full of these dudes.

Satyrs are the half goat dudes you have to root out from the temple. The ones with the erect penis fully rendered. Not sure what the Pig guys are.

SerTapTap

Please tell me the PS4 version still has the penises

Not a huge fan of the combat so far but I do like the game overall.

Combat gets deeper, if you're just getting started. There's more to it than "dudes with basically the same abilities as me"

Xeteh

Please tell me the PS4 version still has the penises

Combat gets deeper, if you're just getting started. There's more to it than "dudes with basically the same abilities as me"

I mean more along the lines of fast dashing wolves are hard to hit because the hitbox on the weapons with the speed that you attack makes things a bit awkward. Its not terrible and I'm sure I'll get used to it but so far its the one thing I've had bug me about the game.

tdwig

Neo Member
I absolutely can't wait to come home from class and start this game. Can't believe it has a platinum that's awesome. There's a difficulty trophy for beating it on Olympian difficulty but you have to beat the game to unlock it, so definitely replay value... (;

Skux

Added system requirements and Steam link to the OP. Some great impressions on the Steam reviews so far too.

The game is currently $12.74 on Steam and you can also buy the soundtrack for $5.94.

Rymuth

Great game, just beat the first boss. Might be my game of the month if no other contender arrives.

One thing I noticed, tho, when I press OPTIONS - there's this crackling noise.

UglyPony

Nice artwork, cant wait till tomorrow to play it. Art is like looking at a wall painting from old.

Edit: Sweet it got platinum trophy aswell?!

Just played this for about 2 hours, its alright, not really grabbing me. Will give it more time.

Feels a bit clunky. I like the dark souls style combat, but something about it feels a bit off. Could just be the weapons Im using. I really dont like how you have to switch over to your ranged weapons to use them, why not just map it to R1? Like, why would I ever want to throw my main weapon? I find in the heat of combat, its a bit to hectic to be switching back and forth between weapons.

Also the run speed takes too long to build up momentum...satisfying at full speed, but a bit to slow when you first get moving.

Nice style though, i def want to check this out some more.

petran79

Banned
on pc I had to switch to mouse/keyboard in some aiming puzzles because gamepad lacked sensitivity for right thumb stick when using bow and arrows.
Hope console versions dont have that problem or game will be unplayable.

Finished main story with some sidequest. Very good quality title, though a bit too easy. Will try olympian difficulty next time.

BPoole

I've played the first half hour or so. Getting used to the controls and movement is taking a bit of getting used to. I see what they were going for as far as movement acceleration and such, but I'm just so used to 2D gaming being really snappy and precise

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Played a bit, got the
bow

Loving the art and structure a ton. Lots of little systems.

But

I Hate the combat, or maybe it's just not clicking for me, but fighting some of the bosses feels like i'm flailing, even as I try to switch out weapons, throw greek fire, summon wolves or what not.

AEREC

Only played a local match by myself to get a feel for the controls. Wish that would let you swap the shoulder buttons.

hydruxo

Beat the first boss and got to the Olympian Gates, I'm really enjoying this so far. It's got more depth to it than I expected.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I love the game so far.

Two complaints though- if you're going to make a platformer where you use the analog stick (uggh), make the dead zone bigger. Several times I've come to a stop in front of an enemy and my character faced the opposite way due to the minuscule dead zone on the stick.

And I hate it when games put all speech on the rear channels. Why would they possibly do this.

Ahhh, I remember this game. The art style still looks fantastic, really captures the style of ancient Greek vase painting. Wonder what engine they're using that it's only being released on PC and PS4? From the gif on page 1, it looks like they're using Box2D (or equivalent) for character physics, which seems a bit strange. Makes it look like a Flash game from when bone rigging was the rage, but perhaps they're going for a "picture come to life" aesthetic.

jblank83

We’ve tried to stay pretty light on the RPG elements, so there’s no stat leveling or ability trees or anything like that, but you will certainly be sneaking into a lot of locked places for treasure chests, crawling through monster riddled caves just to see what’s ahead in the darkness, making potions that summon skeleton warriors, and breaking a lot of pots for coins. I think there’s something very meta about smashing pots, in a game that also looks like it’s painted on one.

So... no actual RPG mechanics at all, then?

I mean, I don't want to derail the topic and start a genre argument. I do want to know if there are any RPG mechanics in the game, as I don't consider "breaking pots" the definition of "RPG", nor picking up coins.

I have a strong preference for RPG games so it would influence my purchase decisions.

Corpekata

Banned
So... no actual RPG mechanics at all, then?

I mean, I don't want to derail the topic and start a genre argument. I do want to know if there are any RPG mechanics in the game, as I don't consider "breaking pots" the definition of "RPG", nor picking up coins.

I have a strong preference for RPG games so it would influence my purchase decisions.

There are RPG elements. It just doesn't have a level up / experience system. It still has buying armor and weapons, training in those weapons, crafting, etc.

It's still an action platformer first and foremost, but it's not just a simple hack and slash either.

Being a quarter Greek, the nitpick in me really wishes there was Greek audio. Otherwise, this is an awesome game. Absolutely loved it so far.

Skux

There are RPG elements. It just doesn't have a level up / experience system. It still has buying armor and weapons, training in those weapons, crafting, etc.

It's still an action platformer first and foremost, but it's not just a simple hack and slash either.

I haven't played it yet (still waiting on the EU region store) but I'd also add that the weapon durability plays a big role in the item economy. Knowing that your equipment will expire adds a sort of survival aspect and gives you the impetus to go out exploring.

GnawtyDog

Banned
The art direction in this game.

227839420.gif

Gaz_RB

This year is seriously off to a great start compared to last year. I've had so many games just in the past few weeks that have already washed 2014 out of my mouth, Apotheon included.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I feel like weapons wear down way too quickly. I think the overall item durability elements are going to frustrate me far more than I'll find it interesting.

I also feel like I'm doing a far amount of odd trial and error to figure out what I'm capable of doing, especially in relation to the save system and the resource management stuff.

I really dont like how you have to switch over to your ranged weapons to use them, why not just map it to R1? Like, why would I ever want to throw my main weapon? I find in the heat of combat, its a bit to hectic to be switching back and forth between weapons.

Yeah, this is odd.

My character keeps drifting, guess my joysticks have gotten too loose.
Wish they unlocked Olympian off the bat as I don't see myself playing this twice.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Can you remap the jump button? It being on X means that aiming a weapon while jumping is very difficult.

Rafroel

So I posted this at the other thread, but I'll post it here too - I have an extra Steam key for this game that I'd like to give away... In some cool way. I don't wanna hijack the thread, but anyone have suggestions as to how I can go about this? For some reason I can't post a new thread either...

Can you remap the jump button? It being on X means that aiming a weapon while jumping is very difficult.

You can on Steam apparently, but not on PS4. This game needs another control scheme so badly. Almost every button is mapped wrongly, like where you don't want it to be.

It doesn't help that I've been playing Guacamelee which controls like an absolute dream. Coming to Apotheon from that is horrible.

Top Bottom