• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: Both XSX and PS5 RDNA2 based and have Hardware RT

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
RDNA1 plus custom raytracing solution from somebody else. Could be Adshir. In fact I am certain that PS5 uses Adshir.

Does that guy on the main page look like out of a Sony exclusive IP?
You might be onto something.

We designed it bottom to go after low-end devices. We have multiple deals across console and mobile sectors, but we are not allowed to talk about it until the second half of the year.

ppn5Hdz.jpg

Last edited:
It's no secret that I've always been skeptical about the PS5 and ray tracing only due to Sony's communication on it, and Cerny's clarifications never really convinced me before, and sony's ces certainly didn't help matters.
When the hell has Cerny ever actually overtly lied? The man's work hs never not delivered on what he said. It's also not a clarification; the man said, outright, that they'd have Hardware Raytracing. Doubting that is just being in denial. People said the same thing when he said the base PS4 was capable of HDR, said he was BSing, lying, etc. and then bam, the HDR update dropped.

Y'all gotta stop doubting the Mad Wizard Cerny.

demigod

When the hell has Cerny ever actually overtly lied? The man's work hs never not delivered on what he said. It's also not a clarification; the man said, outright, that they'd have Hardware Raytracing. Doubting that is just being in denial. People said the same thing when he said the base PS4 was capable of HDR, said he was BSing, lying, etc. and then bam, the HDR update dropped.

Y'all gotta stop doubting the Mad Wizard Cerny.

It’s funny how he keeps spewing his bs over here about Cerny and hw rt when he got banned twice over on ree. Maybe someone should bet him a game again about this.

longdi

Banned
How hard is it for Sony to just tweet rdna2.0?
Its like Jim Ryan replaced Sony marketing team with people from his generation.

Unless they have something to hide? If they can't even match Xsx, i think PS5 will be the last console Mark Sony is involved with

As for the assertions that Sony will have either custom hardware Raytracing or use some other software solution supposedly "accelerated" by custom hardware... why would AMD know that? That would not be information that they'd be privy to.

The fact that AMD confirmed Cerny's statement that it has Hardware Raytracing would indicate that this is something they can and DO know for a fact. I'd say there's a VERY high likelihood that they are indeed using AMD's RDNA2 Hardware Raytracing.

Panaphonics

Banned
kinda weird That Sony isn’t even mentioning RDN 2.0 on their page for PS5:

It’s just RDNA, which is RDNA 1.0. interesting.

Pallas

A bit off topic but it at least supports PS4 and current PSVR, but nothing indicating PS1-PS3 compatibility yet.

Vroadstar

How hard is it for Sony to just tweet rdna2.0?
Its like Jim Ryan replaced Sony marketing team with people from his generation.

Unless they have something to hide? If they can't even match Xsx, i think PS5 will be the last console Mark Sony is involved with

Ugh, trying way too hard, so transparent like a jellyfish..

Damn! Sony is fucked.

Sony is so quiet because they trying to package their low-specs bad news into something more positive.

A lot of clues already.

Mark Sony once said 8tflops was needed for 4K gaming.
Sony execs leaving in droves before seeing PS5 through
Pastebin leaks at 9tflops, a big win over 8tflops already
Sony got great success at $399
Recent nand prices pushes bom to aroud $450
boring ass pictorials reveal so far.
boring talk about spiderman loading.
MS confident as fuck

Panaphonics

Banned
The logic on this one, I guess we got a confirmation already, congratulations

didn’t say it’s a confirmation for anything. It’s just a fact that Sony just Writes RDNA on their website whereas Microsoft puts RDNA 2.0 on their website.

it’s a fact. Just A fact.
And you can see it yourself by clicking on that link.

Vroadstar

didn’t say it’s a confirmation for anything. It’s just a fact that Sony just Writes RDNA on their website whereas Microsoft puts RDNA 2.0 on their website.

Ah let me get this straight, you are not confirming anything yet by stating that Sony version "It’s just RDNA, which is RDNA 1.0" as a fact as you said so yourself.
Hmm where exactly does it say RDNA 1.0? you assumed it's 1.0, therefore, automatically to you it's not RDNA 2.0

Wow, all the mental gymnastics your lot have to go through for your beloved box

ethomaz

Banned

Oct 2019 lol

MS just wrote only RDNA in their site until very late of 2019.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

A fact you are interpreting and trying to suggest the interpretation is as factual as the evidence presented. “March is a cold month in the U.K., therefore PS5 has RDNA 4.1”... hey March being cold in the Northern hemisphere is a fact!!!

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
The "Gigarays" is just the amount of rays that can be cast per pixel, i.e. 10 Gigarays is 10 billion BUT this figure is not really accurate or representative at all. The Nvidia team went through some marketing hoop jumping to get to this figure as even at 6G on the 2070 would be more than enough to enable multi bounce RT at 4K even. They are including the recon element and it has almost become a "as good as x Gigaray" results, a discussion for another time.

NV uses GRays per second to be precise, not per frame, let alone a single pixel, which is a huge difference because even at a mere 1 ray/pixel at 4K we're already at at 8.3MLN rays, for just a single frame. Times 60FPS, and we're at half a billion rays/s already. And it still wouldn't be an issue even for a 2060 as you say, except that a single ray/pixel is simply way not insufficient to create desired end results, or for the RT to be even considered any worthy, it's always multiple ray's per pixels (which is still not sufficient to look good without denoising), and that's why even 2080Ti struggles at a mere 1080p. So their figures are accurate, it's no different than TFLOPS, where at the end of the day it's up to each individual game how many calculations per frame it performs, which further translates on the final framerate.

Md Ray

Rdna 1 doesn’t support raytracing at all .
It does by using compute shaders. This includes AMD's GCN-based GPUs and NVIDIA's Maxwell, Pascal GPUs via DX11 API. See Crytek's Neon Noir RT benchmark. It doesn't require hardware-based RT GPUs (RTX, etc.) or DX12 DXR in order to work.

Last edited:

NXGamer

I refer to sales long term. It flopped despite being AT LEAST 2 generations beyond anything else. It was a 1992 machine released in 1985. That still wasn't enough.
It ony flopped in North America, it was a raging success in the UK and much of Europe, even Australia, infact Commodore was more loved outside of America then in it.

Last edited:

NXGamer

NV uses GRays per second to be precise, not per frame, let alone a single pixel, which is a huge difference because even at a mere 1 ray/pixel at 4K we're already at at 8.3MLN rays, for just a single frame. Times 60FPS, and we're at half a billion rays/s already. And it still wouldn't be an issue even for a 2060 as you say, except that a single ray/pixel is simply way not insufficient to create desired end results, or for the RT to be even considered any worthy, it's always multiple ray's per pixels (which is still not sufficient to look good without denoising), and that's why even 2080Ti struggles at a mere 1080p. So their figures are accurate, it's no different than TFLOPS, where at the end of the day it's up to each individual game how many calculations per frame it performs, which further translates on the final framerate.
Yes, it is, but the use of those rays is up to the developer, as you say, many more than 1PP is required and this is why the Denoising and DRSS are all required to improve the output. Again though, like Tflops, it only tells a potential and not an actual, on its own as a figure it does not give anyone enough info to know (outside of the teams working on code with it now) how many is good enough. The calculation also only takes into account rays cast, not any amount of work to be calculated from them, irradiance, reflectance, occlusion. This is still early days in the real-time RT solutions and like early 3D I am sure a few wrong turns will be made before it settles into a combined path.

Von Hugh

Both of these consoles are using RDNA 2......Ideally they should use Zen 3 as well, which means a lower power footprint a smaller node and even more powerful CPU's than we currently have with RDNA1 and Zen 2...….

The custom work would be Sony's way of uniting Memory, GPU, CPU.....How they connect these to storage solutions like HBCC and of course their own custom engineering on Raytracing hardware and pipelines including audio which they said is of high priority for them.....I've also read somewhere that A.I is also very high up on Sony's Feature set for next gen. An A.I chip anyone?

Looking forward to your meltdown essay on why RDNA 1.0 with 9 TFLOPS is actually better than RDNA 2 with 12 TFLOPS. :messenger_beaming:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
As for the assertions that Sony will have either custom hardware Raytracing or use some other software solution supposedly "accelerated" by custom hardware... why would AMD know that? That would not be information that they'd be privy to.

All AMD said: "You are already familiar with this, it is public knowledge now ... PS5 supports hardware raytracing natively." They talk about it because Sony themselves announced it.

Panaphonics

Banned
Not sure about that. MS fucked up so hard this gen, and a lot of people are in the Sony ecosystem now.

dude. They were:

- $100 more expensive
- weaker
- PR fiasco with DRM and used game Shit

and STILL sold pretty well, not as good as PS4, yes. But still pretty decent.

Now imagine Xbox without any PR bullshit and even having good Pr, like most powerful, BC, Free upgrade to nextgen console, fantastic launch linier (halo 5 years in development anyone?!)
yeah, MS will be fine. The sales different not be huge.
And now MS has much more studios and regarding eco system? There is no loyalty. People don’t give a shit, they switch machines left and right. Doesn’t matter.
Also, MS has gamepass. $1 and you get hundreds of games, potentially even more than you bought with your PS4 in the whole lifetime. 😉
But we will see. The difference will definitely not as huge as this gen.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

dude. They were:

- $100 more expensive
- weaker
- PR fiasco with DRM and used game Shit

and STILL sold pretty well, not as good as PS4, yes. But still pretty decent.

Now imagine Xbox without any PR bullshit and even having good Pr, like most powerful, BC, Free upgrade to nextgen console, fantastic launch linier (halo 5 years in development anyone?!)
yeah, MS will be fine. The sales different not be huge.
And now MS has much more studios and regarding eco system? There is no loyalty. People don’t give a shit, they switch machines left and right. Doesn’t matter.
Also, MS has gamepass. $1 and you get hundreds of games, potentially even more than you bought with your PS4 in the whole lifetime. 😉
But we will see. The difference will definitely not as huge as this gen.

It will be an easy win in the US for Xbox. Going back to 360 vs PS3 when Xbox had a 10 million lead. Now, with all the BS that happened regarding Xbox One, they are only 5 million behind PS4 in the US.

Night.Ninja

Banned
I'm sure they both use RDNA just customised to suit their needs

Some of you are overthinking it way too much

The github leak was probably Sony using their own custom RT solution which is why it didn't show up

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Looking forward to your meltdown essay on why RDNA 1.0 with 9 TFLOPS is actually better than RDNA 2 with 12 TFLOPS. :messenger_beaming:
And what will you do when PS5 is not 9Tflops, will you have a meltdown yourself? I'm still seeing people running around here who told me consoles would never have SSD's, some were saying Ryzen 1, some were saying 8-9TF at best......They just keep rolling with the tide when these things were revealed and never indicated that they opposed me when I said these things.....

Just recently everytime I mentioned 8K or 4k 120fps for PS5, some people were uneasy in their chairs, they said games would look like PONG etc.........Till one of the XBOX rumor mongers told them Horizon 4 would be 4K 120fps or that there would be 8K games, not a word not a word not a word, when such things are said about Series X, it's a behemoth you see.....It't the only console with 12TF, hardware raytracing and all that you see...:messenger_smirking:…...PS5 will be a pauper's console....

Von Hugh

And what will you do when PS5 is not 9Tflops, will you have a meltdown yourself? I'm still seeing people running around here who told me consoles would never have SSD's, some were saying Ryzen 1, some were saying 8-9TF at best......They just keep rolling with the tide when these things were revealed and never indicated that they opposed me when I said these things.....

Just recently everytime I mentioned 8K or 4k 120fps for PS5, some people were uneasy in their chairs, they said games would look like PONG etc.........Till one of the XBOX rumor mongers told them Horizon 4 would be 4K 120fps or that there would be 8K games, not a word not a word not a word, when such things are said about Series X, it's a behemoth you see.....It't the only console with 12TF, hardware raytracing and all that you see...:messenger_smirking:…...PS5 will be a pauper's console....

Dude. Broseph.

Don't bring the Xbox topic here because I'm not going to buy one. Probably not even PS5 for that matter.

I'm just amused by grown men that are way too invested in their precious console, and are stifled by the tribulations that happen in the console space. Foaming out of your mouth when the opposing console might prove to be more powerful isn't quite pretty.

thelastword

Banned
Dude. Broseph.

Don't bring the Xbox topic here because I'm not going to buy one. Probably not even PS5 for that matter.

I'm just amused by grown men that are way too invested in their precious console, and are stifled by the tribulations that happen in the console space. Foaming out of your mouth when the opposing console might prove to be more powerful isn't quite pretty.
Ok, thanks for your concern and amusement, ye un-biased charlatan...…..Will look forward to more of your insightful posts in the future....

Bandi

Banned
Oh they're used to taking old information and assuming nothing ever changes when it matches their desires. Don't expect this to be any different.

well, it would be great if Sony would give us new info, but I think that's too much to ask. :)

nikolino840

Ya'll read this as a surprise, i read it as a rhetorical question posed to address current limitation of RTX implementation. In a round about way of saying does RDNA2 RT solution perform better than what we have now and address current limitations.
He ask in a ironic ways like if Microsoft can't able to push with rt with dxr and rdna2

If Sony are using dxr and rdna2 why ask?

If they use the same solution both Sony and Microsoft have the same features
So yes, Microsoft have the same things he asked

darkinstinct

Same same... but different 🤷‍♂️
Sony always has the best, that's how you can say it in one sentence. The mostest TF, the newestest architectures, the bestest AI cores, the fastestest raytracing, the lowestest price, the amazingestest games and Cerny is a god. And everything that affects Sony also affects Microsoft, because that's just how it is. So much hyperbole. I wish they were doing just the slightest bit of research, where they would find out that if Sony has supply chain issues because of DRAM prices - guess what? Microsoft uses a DRAM less SSD, so of course they aren't affected by that. Same thing with architecture. If Sony is on 7nm, of course things are more crowded than with 7nm+ which is more expensive and only used by Apple, AMD and Microsoft. But no, common sense is bad.

Last edited:
All AMD said: "You are already familiar with this, it is public knowledge now ... PS5 supports hardware raytracing natively." They talk about it because Sony themselves announced it.
And the RDNA 1 architecture does not support Hardware RT. If it could be easily integrated into 1.0 by making a few tweaks, not sure why AMD wouldn't have done it to their existing line and save a pretty penny & make it far more appealing to gamers but... 🤷‍♂️

Just seems a lot of folks are twisting themselves into a pretzel to try to defend their insistence that it just CAN'T be 2.0, when 2.0 is the only version of RDNA to have RT support. Occam's Razor, folks. All I'm saying.

Last edited:
Top Bottom