• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Xbox should go Nvidia

Buggy Loop

They want a beast console and they might also have an handheld.

What differentiated OG Xbox was that it stood for no compromise hardware for the time. Nvidia was in it.

You want DLSS upscaling / good frame gen / ray reconstruction / whatever the fuck they’re cooking such as Neural radiance caching for next iteration of path tracing or some other AI mind blowing feature, or you want pixel soup FSR 2?

Staying AMD means they’re again equivalent roughly to Sony with barely a difference outside of clocks or so on but it’s fundamentally the same architecture, and there’s no gain here for Microsoft.

God knows what Nvidia has in store with 5000 series, probably a huge focus on path tracing to speed it up leaps and bounds faster than the current ASIC RT core solution. THIS would be the biggest generational leap.

They could be making a deal that is leveraged also with the Apollo level financing Microsoft is gonna pour into AI servers in the coming years.

I only see this happening if they want to keep their word and not just be another console that will have DF zoom 800% to tell the difference.

Both AMD would be so boring. Intel is probably out of the question but I don’t doubt they looked into it.

the-more-gpus-you-buy-the-more-money-you-save-v0-2leir6lja01a1.jpg

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
3QkYIj2.gif

Edit - I’m going to edit this, because mannnn, y’all got me going tonight. I’m either gonna get a shit ton of funny reactions, a warning or two from the mods, or a straight up ban lol (although I think the mods mostly agree with my posts even though I’m obnoxious but I make sense). Or I might get all 3…and that’s fine, I seriously love you all of you as gamers and I respect your passion ❤️

Last edited:

Elios83

nVidia isn't a good partner unless you want a 1000$ console.
Also they are so into AI that even their PC GPUs are getting less attention, if they were approached for a console they would try to provide a downgraded off the schelve part at a super high price.
Which is what they did with Sony and the RSX in the PS3 or Nintendo with the Tegra chip in the Switch.

Last edited:

nowhat

So, unless the next Xbox is going to be ARM, you'd need a separate CPU as well. With more considerations regarding cooling and all that, not to mention increased cost as well. Basically what you're asking for is akin to a Windows PC.

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t really care either way, but I doubt they’ll go with Nvidia just due to high costs. Wouldn’t even surprise me if Nintendo considered dropping them for the “Switch 2”.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

And Nvidia is just a hard and expensive manufacturer to work with, hence why it isn't a thing. You'd be better off waiting for AMD to ketchup.

I doubt this is true anymore when Nvidia will have had Nintendo 2 generations and Microsoft buying billions and billions worth of AI chips. Can’t slap a sticker for old time problems.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I doubt this is true anymore when Nvidia will have had Nintendo 2 generations and Microsoft buying billions and billions worth of AI chips. Can’t slap a sticker for old time problems.
well for one thing, being Nvidia didn't save the Switch from being an underpowered hot mess, and MS's AI investment is something that they'll be hosting with their own money and infrastructure. Not necessarily something that's supposed to retail on a shelf for 500 dollars. Not like it will because as said previously a next gen Xbox is an uncertainty at this point, You'd have to look towards Sony and unlike Microsoft I don't think they have the amount of resources to buy Nvidia's insanely priced hardware and then sell it for a massive loss.

Not to mention, Nvidia doesn't make CPUs so consoles will need to be a GPU + CPU operation again. adding more costs. This is gonna be an awfully expensive system don't you think?

Astray

Gold Member
None of Sony or Microsoft is going Nvidia unless they intend to sell consoles at profit.

Nvidia will absolutely bend them over on pricing.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
As cool as it would be, I think we’re at the point where the only thing that matters for a console is “bang for your buck”. I think we’re way beyond the point where the power difference between Xbox and PlayStation will be a significant selling point.

They should go with whatever SoC can give them the best performance at a ~$500 price. I’m not so sure Nvidia would be it.

Buggy Loop

well for one thing, being Nvidia didn't save the Switch from being an underpowered hot mess,

In 2017 it was pretty damn good mobile chipset for very cheap BOM and good margins for Nintendo. Like there were better mobile chips then... in the $1000 range iPhone and the likes, thermally throttled to hell.

and MS's AI investment is something that they'll be hosting with their own money and infrastructure. Not necessarily something that's supposed to retail on a shelf for 500 dollars

Nvidia and microsoft are huge partners in cloud and AI. Microsoft's internal solution is not capable to compete with Nvidia's top line. They'll still produce it and install them but for less critical ML loads. They reserve top of the line ML for Nvidia cards.

Not like it will because as said previously a next gen Xbox is an uncertainty at this point,

What even is this by the way? I don't get your other comment for this either. They just said they are working on it.

You'd have to look towards Sony and unlike Microsoft I don't think they have the amount of resources to buy Nvidia's insanely priced hardware and then sell it for a massive loss.

Microsoft doesn't have the money?

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Not to mention, Nvidia doesn't make CPUs so consoles will need to be a GPU + CPU operation again. adding more costs. This is gonna be an awfully expensive system don't you think?

CPUs are so easy comparatively to GPUs to make from a company like this. Not only they know the in & outs of ARM which would be no slouch in a console, but even if you doubt they can't scale beyond the mobile APUs, they also made their own ARM CPU superchip, Grace.

Not to mention that the way that CPUs are stagnating now and the rapid pace GPUs are advancing in computing, it's only a matter of time that a GPU replaces a CPU. Jensen called it in 2017. Current architecture designers can hardly work out advanced parallel instruction architectures for CPUs. What's better than GPUs for parallel computing? It's a matter of time.

They would make APU with ARM of course, not Intel CPU + Nvidia GPU or some silly thing I've seen posted. No it would not "awfully expensive". This claim is getting ridiculous when we see how close Nvidia and AMD are in BOMs and margins for dedicated GPUs. Mass produced console chipsets lower prices.

As cool as it would be, I think we’re at the point where the only thing that matters for a console is “bang for your buck”.
I think we’re way beyond the point where the power difference between Xbox and PlayStation will be a significant selling point.

They should go with whatever SoC can give them the best performance at a ~$500 price. I’m not so sure Nvidia would be it.

That's not going so well for Microsoft so far is it?

If both consoles are nearly identical, it seems gamers pick Sony for exclusives.

What if the path tracing capabilities are such a leap that it becomes a no brainer to use it? What if their next RT / ML cores are dedicated to their new NRC method and they basically leap AMD again for a couple of GPU gens? Would that not be worth $200 more?

I like the idea. Apple has shown that ARM CPUs can perform very well compared to Intel/AMD and nvidia already makes ARM-based APUs for the Switch.

Microsoft needs something to differentiate themselves.

! Yes !

Keeping status quo is going nowhere.

This was one of the least exciting gen in consoles. Basically almost 2 years of crossgen and ports / remasters and some purposedly gated "next-gen" games that could have been on PS4.

Another snail race on the same damn APU architecture is not gonna help Microsoft. IF THAT is the way they're going, then I would say exit console space, cancel Xbox. Because Sony will again eat away.

Xbox has to be exciting again, even if it comes with a premium price. Even with hardware improvements set aside, Nvidia's software solutions already have an advantage pound for pound against AMD in visual quality. Even with just a better upscaler, it could already put some sales towards them.

Last edited:

Three

I could see it happening but not the way some might expect (not some beastly 4090 with RT). I can for example see them trying to chase Nintendo ports with a similar architecture to the handheld just like in the past they've usually chased similar architecture to Sony for consoles.

They may even just make an "xbox os" and just have you buy OEM machines with whatever CPU/GPU you like. Who knows. If the surface team are doing it then my guess is an AMD ARM chip.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
What even is this by the way? I don't get your other comment for this either. They just said they are working on it.
really? Considering the trajectory of Xbox's hardware and sales I dont feel like there's any coming back from the rut they've gotten themselves into now

Buggy Loop

I'm saying Sony doesn't have the money ya goof

Oh I misread

That's even more of a reason for Microsoft to go this route. They have to be a step above. If again its like this gen, they should stop making consoles.

really? Considering the trajectory of Xbox's hardware and sales I dont feel like there's any coming back from the rut they've gotten themselves into now

Spencer just said in the podcast. Why say that if a year or two later you just bust out of the business. I don't get it.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i think nvidia would charge ridiculous price, since they basically monopolize the PC gaming market.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Not to mention that the way that CPUs are stagnating now and the rapid pace GPUs are advancing in computing, it's only a matter of time that a GPU replaces a GPU. Jensen called it in 2017. Current architecture designers can hardly work out advanced parallel instruction architectures for CPUs. What's better than GPUs for parallel computing? It's a matter of time.
A GPU replaces another GPU? I mean, yeah that happens all the time in PC gaming! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I get what you're trying to say here but it sounds pretty ridiculous. Either ARM replaces X86 (which still doesn't account for the software X86 has developed over the years) or GPUs replace CPUs (which is pretty ridiculous considering how we've seen no examples of GPUs taking over the role of a CPU, plus the fact that GPUs taking over CPU workloads would slow down the graphics processing too) Both claims are pretty ridiculous but at least ARM taking over X86 is plausible if not far away.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Either a weak $4-$500 box or a $1,000 box with nVidia. That would be your two choices.

No x86 APU either.

Last edited:

amigastar

As a user of both- Steam has the same price as console day 1 (Canada anyways).
Well, there is always going the key seller route which is cheaper but i don't recommend it always because the dev gets no money that way.

Last edited:
if you’re advocating for Nvidia, you’re well and truly regarded lol. Nvidia’s gross margin is 73%. If you buy a chip from them, you’re basically getting fleeced and there’s no deal you can get from Nvidia that would make it good. I say this as someone who owns tens of thousands invested in Nvidia. As a consumer or business, Nvidia represents a bad deal and a horrible value for money.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Xbox Gaming CEO: We're currently making a next-gen Xbox, we'll have new console hardware out this Christmas, and we may have a handheld - but we're not talking about that today.
64bitmodels 64bitmodels : Lol, no.

C'mon man.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

I don't see why,AMD can make custom hardware for Sony or Microsoft to increase ray tracing or path tracing and add dedicated ML block for upscaling/super resolution.

I like the idea. Apple has shown that ARM CPUs can perform very well compared to Intel/AMD and nvidia already makes ARM-based APUs for the Switch.

Microsoft needs something to differentiate themselves.
IIRC it has more to do with the rest of the chiplets and how they work together with the CPU.

twilo99

Xbox Gaming CEO: We're currently making a next-gen Xbox, we'll have new console hardware out this Christmas, and we may have a handheld - but we're not talking about that today.
64bitmodels 64bitmodels : Lol, no.

C'mon man.

Nah, they said they will have news about the new hardware around end of this year, not that there will be new hardware by then.

Top Bottom