• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Is Sending Mails Telling Consumers They Won't Receive Their PS5 At Promised Date Due High Demand

Dthomp

Got the email too, luckily I got my pickup in store preorder from Best Buy on the first night and a backup at Target that my wife may take so Amazon was going to be cancelled anyways.

DESTROYA

Amazon always do this. You'd have to be a clown to pre-order a PS5 with them and expect them to deliver it day one. They rarely deliver games on time. They're unreliable. If you want a reliable service for consoles, use a company whose bread and butter is actually video games i.e. gamestop, GAME, Shopto, thegamecollection, etc.
This is complete BS , pre-ordered 3D Allstars a few weeks back and got it delivered by 11AM today right on time.
Maybe you have shitty Amazon service locally but everybody I know says they always deliver on time.

Last edited:
No email here, preordered the exact minute those links went live.

Got two I did at gamestop in person down the street and I was one of the first folks in there lol

PerfectDark

Banned
I ordered from Amazon 10 mins before midnight. Within seconds of it going up. I also got pre orders at target and bestbuy.

Have to protect your self from stupid.

MrS

Banned
The honest thing to do would be to cancel all the orders from retailers that allowed preorders before the date Sony set it for. Sony is rightfully catching shit for it and I've seen quite a few pissed off Amazon customers including me.
Don't be a fool.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Biggest Czech distributor shows another batch in fucking February, so I hope you guys secure your PS5.

Yeah, I think everyone that ordered from Amazon got the email, regardless of order time (I got mine less than a minute from the listing going live). I think some of us will get a delay, while others wont. I've had similar stuff like this happen before with other preorders, where they tell me they quite don't know yet when I'm going to receive my order. Some time later they give me an update with a new expected delivery date, sometimes it is the same as release day, but in some rare cases they delay it a day or two. I guess they are just probably preparing themselves because of the insane volume of orders and its probably going to overload their delivery infrastructure. This coupled with COVID I can see why they would send this message. Is it disappointing if I don't get it on release day? Yes. Is it the end of the world? No. As long as I get it close to the release day I will be fine. Gotta say though, my heart skipped a beat when I saw a message that came in from Amazon and saw it mentioned my PS5 preorder. I thought for sure they had cancelled my order, but I released a sigh of relief after I saw what the actual message was about. Anyway, keeping fingers crossed we don't get too long a delay, if any at all.

Karmic Raze

I just called Walmart and they said it wasn’t true that they were taking in-store pre-orders for the PS5 on the 22nd. I guess my Amazon pre-order will have to suffice. Hopefully I get it on launch day or very shortly after. I don’t want a long delay. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

Shaukdotdj

Tbh Amazon has been dropping the ball on a lot of my gaming related purchases lately. I pre-ordered Doom Eternal, didn't receive any of the pre-order entitlements and they sent the game a week late.
My ghost of tsushima CE was damaged and they couldn't offer an exchange, was also several days late.

They're a shadow of their former glory ever since they got rid of the prime benefit which gave discounts on new game pre-orders as well.
What's sad is they just opened a warehouse in my city a few months ago, thousands of jobs created. But if anything my service is slower than its ever been, I don't expect to get anything on time anymore.

TLZ

Banned
Why's it a big deal? A few days later is nothing at all. At least you got one in. Many people couldn't/can't get one at all.

jakinov

This is where physical Retail stores still matter. I Physically went to my local gamestop and preordered instore. I will pick it up at launch, not as convenient as online shopping, but still more reliable.
Not really. The store can still accept more orders than they are supposed to get and the number they are supposed to get can also be cut. Whether or not it's a retail employee doing it with a computer or you doing it with a computer you can still get back-ordered.

Hawk269

Being someone that has worked retail at various positions for 35 years, this sounds like Amazon sold more than what was allocated to them for launch. The other possible scenario is that Amazon did not fully know what the allocation was going to be and they "estimated" it. This scenario could of happened since the release of information from Sony was very quick. Not sure if this same thing is happening elsewhere with other retailers.

This is where physical Retail stores still matter. I Physically went to my local gamestop and preordered instore. I will pick it up at launch, not as convenient as online shopping, but still more reliable.

Same here. They knew their allotment and stopped taking preorders when they were gone. Thankfully I was third in line and snagged one.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I got a PS4 from Amazon last gen and it came on the launch day. Could this email simply mean they are not sure they can ship all of these in time, i.e. that they might be getting them from Sony too close to the date to quickly load them into 140,000 different vans?

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

I heard GameStop will get more soon within the next few days, they had a list you can sign up on so they will probably call you once they get more pre-order news. Outside of the big box retailers you will probably still find a PS5 at launch depending on which walmart you go to.

fallingdove

I got the same email. I can't imagine that the delay would be significant unless Sony has some how miraculously sold through several million units this week. This looks like a triggered email to me — probably triggered based on Amazon overselling their initial pre-order allotment by a certain percentage.

Last edited:

Stooky

Seems like they are sending this to everyone just in case it might get delayed. Can’t wait to see all the cancel Amazon post because some gamer is not getting there console on launch day.

MrS

Banned
I order everything from amazon uk and they aint ever let me down. Shopto let me down years ago and pretty sure talk of them is banned around here.....
Why would one of the most trusted UK retailers be banned?

Last edited:

mr_misanthropy

Neo Member
I got a preorder from amazon, I also received the invite for the direct from sony preorder. At this point I'm not sure which to get.

This is complete BS , pre-ordered 3D Allstars a few weeks back and got it delivered by 11AM today right on time.
Maybe you have shitty Amazon service locally but everybody I know says they always deliver on time.

Yeah I agree with this. I ordered my launch PS4 through Amazon and had no issues.

reinking

Gold Member
Hey guys/girls. I got one too. Can you do me a favor and cancel yours. Thx....

This is probably to cover their butts about same day shipping. It specifically says "may not receive this item on the day it is released." It also seems to be a mass email to everyone that ordered. I guess we will find out.

Last edited:

OcchiWan

Neo Member
My amazon order page says:

"Not yet shipped

We will email you when we have an estimated delivery date."

But my pre order of Spider-Man: Miles Morales says that too.

notseqi

It's a business model to obtain money and hold onto it for as long as possible, especially in the current economy.

No mails from
saturn-logo.jpg
ONB.gif
:messenger_squinting_tongue: :messenger_winking:
Tech Nick delivers.

Top Bottom