• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Almost 4 months in - what is your next(current) gen Xbox series and PS5 purchase status

What have you got so far

• I have a PS5 and Xbox Series x/s

• I have nothing and do not wish to purchase anything in 2021

• I have a Xbox Series x/s wanting to purchase a PS5

• I have a PS5 wanting to purchase a Xbox Series x/s

• I have nothing and still want to purchase a Xbox Series x/s only

• I have nothing and still want to purchase a PS5 only

• I have a PS5 and do not want a Xbox series x/s

• I have a Xbox series x/s and do not want a PS5

• I have nothing and want to purchase both still

Results are only viewable after voting.

Greggy

I have both. I'm playing the Xbox more at the moment because GPU basically unlocks the entire back catalog I missed on X1X period. Experience so far:

PS5 - Demon's Souls, really good and impressive graphics and effects
PS5 - Valhalla, really good until the patch made frame tears unbearable. Completed it, debating whether to commit to the DLC
PS5 - WD: Legion such a bizarre game. Looks really good in parts but the furry fuzzy effect and ubi graphics looked worse than Origins in parts. Save eventually corrupted so didn't bother repeating 35 of the 40 hours.
PS5 - RDR: O, my mates are still on this platform so still doing my grind here
PS5 - Godfall, there's a good game in there but ultimately it's DOA until matchmaking is delivered. Definitely over promised and under delivered
PS5 - TLOU II, waited for sale and then played it on PS5. Overall, mixed on the story but a really good game
PS5 - CP2077, parked until patch 1.2 because I can't deal with the crashes

XS - Gears 5, campaign and horde, really good graphics
XS - Streets of Rage 4, was on gamepass and worth the download
XS - Tell Me Why, was on gamepass and gave it a chance as I like DONTNOD
XS - GTA: O, my mate had an xbox last gen so I've been mainly on this lately
XS - Ori, brilliant games
XS - Halo 5, playing through campaign co-op
XS - WWZ, on gamepass which made me try it and I love it.
XS - Gears I, UE on campaign co-op, also a gamepass download
XS - Warframe, just started this and will probably replace the time I spent on Div 2 (452 hours)
XS - Payday 2 was on gamepass and I'd seen it but never really thought it worth spending money on
XS - Forza Horizon 4, love it. It's like a comfortable grindy kind of game
XS - The Medium
You sir are a gamer.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I got a PS5 on launch day, played the fuck out of it for a week, played Immortals in December, and I haven't turned it on since. Literally haven't had the console switched on in nearly 3 months. Been too busy on PC, using a 3070 to play Baldur's Gate 1 / 2 and WoW.

You heard.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I had PS5 and Xbox. Sold them both when I got a desktop pc. Don’t plan to get either again.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Not enough games to warrant a purchase and upgrade even if hardware were available. I'm not seeing a reason to jump in this year at all.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
3080 and a PS5. I have a Switch. I will roll the way I always do. PS5 for Sony exclusives and stuff that I prefer on consoles, like fighting games, Switch for Nintendo stuff, and PC for literally everything else. I'm going to upgrade my PC around the 3080 after July, to get away from my old 6800k X99 box. That'll be me sorted for the next 5-6 years.

smbu2000

Curious to hear the reason why. No warring intentions whatsoever.
Well I have been using gamepass on xbox sine my previous X1X, so I have access to a lot of (digital) games already (including the ones from Gold, including with GP Ultimate). Series X was a no brainer to keep.
The PS4 games I had were mostly physical and I sold them off when I sold my ps4 pro before the launch of the new systems.

The price increase for PS5 games is also a bit of a turn off.
In the past I used the ps3/ps4 for JP games as well (those didn’t release on Nintendo/Xbox for the most part), but with Sony having less interest in JP, and more of those games releasing on Switch, that is less of a reason to get a ps5.

Maybe I’ll get a ps5 (or ps5 pro) in the future, but for now I’ll stick with my Series X and Switch. I ended up using the ps5 console money for my pc GPU (AMD 6800XT).

Trimesh

Banned
I don't have either of them - I'll buy them when either they are readily available at list price or there is some game I really want to play. Right now, neither condition is satisfied.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I have both but have been playing PS4 games on the PS5 more than anything lately. My Series X is my video streaming machine so it gets plenty of use as well.

Last edited:

Entroyp

I have both a PS5 and an XsX (got one on January).

I say I’m in my PS5 99% of the time as I haven’t found a single good engaging game on GamePass.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
I don't have either of them - I'll buy them when either they are readily available at list price or there is some game I really want to play. Right now, neither condition is satisfied.
Trust me you made a good choice in not having one as of now, there's nothing good out, and plus you won't see any major next-gen game till late 2021 until mid-2022. Or even 2023.

Couldn't get ps5, built new gaming rig instead. Still need ps5 though (for demon souls) and to replace my dying launch day ps4.
Want a PS5, but if the new switch comes out first, thats tough as I play my switch more.

PC wise, waiting 3 months now for evga stepup from 2060 to 3060ti. So sick of the lack of supply and communication. They only shipped to people who bought in the first 3 hours and its been 3 months now. Assholes are charging a $50 extra fee due to china shipping after April 15th, if they don't get your number before that. Not like it matters, my 2060 maxes out everything already at 1080p (my monitor size), but getting 2080ti equivalent card for a trade in for my card and $50 is a sweet deal.

Also got a quest2 in my time waiting. First VR headset and it rocks. Can play skyrim, fallout , elite dangerous, no mans sky, subnautica, warthunder, alien isolation, over virtual desktop - wirelessly. Then the native games are cool too especially fishing and racketNX. Sanits and sinners is good too. What i was really amazed by was being able to play, quake 1, 2, Return to castle wolfenstein, Doom 1, 2 and 3, plus Half-life and the expansions all on quest natively, for free since i owned the games. No pc required for those. They rock.

With the pc and steam sales, mixed with great games on the switch, I am set and it could be next year before I get a ps5 and I would be fine.

Last edited:

qiqiqiiq

I had both, but recently sold my Series X, barely have time for playing and I've been only using the PS5 so there was no point at keeping both, so better for it to be with someone who will use it.

Methos#1975

Secured a XSX at launch, now just playing the waiting game for a PS5 and hoping to stumble upon one. Have wrestled with the notion of paying the eBay premium to get one

Technically I don't yet to own a PS5 until next when I get to pick up my order from BestBuy next week. It took so long and so many attempts to score a PS5. Anyway, I feel I earned a long and annoying achievement/ trophy. I'm neutral on system war as I usually own both systems.

I'll see which system will earn my money and time for next few years.

I would have loved to own a PS5 by now, but with all the coil whine and controller issues people have been reporting, I'm waiting for a revision/fix/update PS5. Had a PS5 in my Best Buy cart twice now for the last two restocks, but I just couldn't pull the trigger yet.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Im waiting for a 3 - 4 TB PS5

500 GB these days are ridiculously tiny man, dafuq how many game you can fit in these days with 500 GB

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Was about to buy XSX in summer, then realized that if you aren't in Xbox supported country, then you need to use VPN to activate Xbox Live or Game Pass. Screw that.

If MS doesn't want my money, then I sure as hell won't jump through hoops to give it to them. I'll stick to PS5, once it becomes available.
Wehre is the problem? That only takes 30 seconds. I buy most of my games in Argentina and redeem them with VPN although i live in Europe.

Riky

$MSFT
Got two Series X consoles and a Series S, very happy with them.
Not really interested in PS5 yet, all the problems with Coil Whine etc, the look and size of the system, no expandable storage options and no VRR as well as not having the sort of games I like.
If they did a reboot of Killzone or Resistance and release a slim black PS5 then I'll change my mind.

Jokerevo

Banned
Got my ps5 on launch. Already have a PC so until XsX gets some genuine exclusives it is absolutely pointless owning one.

My eyes are all on the switch pro as my next console purchase.

Jokerevo

Banned
I have a PS5 at the moment. I was clever enough to go to my local shop and pre-order. But if you're desperate for one then I urge you, wait. Right now it's not worth bothering upgrading. Even though I was getting one anyway, 2021 isn't going to be enough to make it worth it, or the launch line up.
Heh. Ps5 is still the smart purchase because of BC and ofc 60fps proliferation.

The reason why you need to upgrade ASAP is (existing owners anyway) Ps4 is losing value all the time. I sold my ps4 pro for 380 gbp!! This was just 5 months before Ps5 launch.

Covid really helped drive up the sale price lol.

shaddam

It took 3 months to finally have a console. After I received it 2 other shop contacted me that they started shipping too. Scalping and shortages will disappear soon I think. BTW im in Hungary

Pantz

PS5 & XSX at launch with most of the big launch window games. I ended up playing mostly older games on both consoles anyway.

XSX is still my main daily console and I haven't really touched my PS5 since first setting it up but there are a lot of games I want to play on it whenever I get to them.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Got a PS5 day one. I'm alternating between PS5 and my gaming PC. I don't need any other console as i'm full, trying to keep up with my backup catalog. Finished Yakusa Like a Dragon (great game) and currently on Demon's Soul (as great as i remembered and gorgeous). I also have Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone, FFVII and Last Guardian waiting in line, and Cyberpunk on PC when it'll get more patches/dlc.

MastaKiiLA

Only one PS5 drop in Thailand so far, and I got shopping cart KO'd by server issues. I'll get a PS5 sometime this year, when it becomes available. I might not need to buy any games for a while, as I got my PS+ account collecting games in the meantime.

Old Empire.

Had the PS4 pro and Xbox One last gen.

Currently, only went looking to purchase the Series X this gen. Got it. Meets my expectations since I play a lot of online multiplayer games.

With more first party on Playstation heading to PC, not really interested in PS5. Sony offerings are single player, so they can be played anytime this gen at cheaper price. I do want to catch up with Last of US 2 though, enjoyed the first game.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
20-funny-playstation-5-memes-pre-release.jpg

Haggard

Banned
Got 2 PS5 from an early reservation. When those finally got delivered I couldn't resist and scalped them.
Hopefully by the time Horizon 2 lands the scarcity will be over and I can repurchase.

Last edited:

Roufianos

So I got a PS5 at launch and have loved playing DS, Miles Morales, Black Ops and Immortals on it.

Later picked up a Series X at the end of January. It's more a pick up and play machine for Forza and Halo though I did play through A Plague Tale (amazing) and Hivebusters. I also finally got to replay the MGS HD Collection, can't believe it wasn't on PS4.

I'll probably use the Series X as my 3rd party machine going forward but obviously Sony's exclusives are leagues ahead.

Also got a Switch which is collecting dust.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

When everything ends up on pc i bought a high end pc. I dont see the point of consoles without exclusives..
Let me know where I can get Animal Crossing, Pokemon, or Gran Turismo on PC, and I'd say this statement is valid. If you care about Sony and Nintendo games, then PC is not the answer.

mcjmetroid

Invested more in PC gaming so no consoles possibly for this whole generation.
I'm sure I'll cave eventually.

I want to see how this console generation plays out though. I honestly don't think Sony being the completely dominate one is that garunteed.

With Horizan zero dawn 2 being delayed till next year. To me if Hall Infinite delivers that Xbox will be in a very good place.

sunnysideup

Banned
Let me know where I can get Animal Crossing, Pokemon, or Gran Turismo on PC, and I'd say this statement is valid. If you care about Sony and Nintendo games, then PC is not the answer.
As it looks. all sony games will trickle down to pc.

and nintendo.. well there is emulation.

Topher

Gold Member
PC and PS5. PC/PS has been my combination for quite some time and I don't see it changing. PC for most games and PS5 for the exclusives and trophy hunting.

Happy as a......

200.gif
democratic party GIF

Arun1910

Have a PS5 but there's not much to play on it to be honest.

I'd say the same about the Series X|S.

Both companies really dropped the ball hard when it came to actual software to sell.

duyxbox

Neo Member
could not vote.
I'm in Vietnam, managed to get PS5 pre-order from Sony official store on Mar 1 (400 items, from what I heard), they will start delivering on Mar 19.

Impotaku

I don't have either and it won't be changing anytime soon. Xbox has nothing to offer me and the lineup for PS5 is piss poor for my tastes, in time that will change but for now haha nope i'm not spending several hundred just to play my PS4 collection i can already do that with my PS4 i have. VR on the horizion will make me eventually pick one up but unless something amazing gets released i will be sticking to switch & PS4 for the time been, there's still more than enough to satisfy my gaming tastes.

I jump in when i'm ready, i don't fall for the hype like the masses do.

NahaNago

I'd like a PS5 to replace my loud ps4 mostly. I'll buy it when it becomes easily available. I have tons of ps4 games and switch games to beat so I'm in no rush anymore since I missed the launch.

Ive purchased 3 ps5s, 2 series xs, and 1 series s. I have a ps5 physical, and a series x. All the others went to friends. (who paid me for them)

Top Bottom