• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YTD Europe: PS5 4.68m; NSW 2.33m; X/S 0.88 m (Nov: PS5 1.21m; NSW 0.38m; X/S 0.18m)

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I don't think a new console will do anything other than loss them some of their fans.

I'm sure if it's much more powerful than a ps5 Pro people will buy it and sub to gamepass, but when the ps6 comes out it will sell like hot cakes. What then, another new gen after 3 or 4 years.

They aren't every going to win anyone back with that strategy.

A better strategy would be to ditch tradition consoles and move to a different space, a more expensive device that is just a curated pc branded as xbox that costs about $1000 that can plug into the TV or just be used as a Windows box on a monitor with some sort of built in game mode
Its a possibility also.. I agree.... but they also have to do something different and can't go head to head in the same launch year of the ps6 ... they have to differentiate itself from Sony.
Maybe try to position xbox as a PREMIUM BOX with top of the line closed hardware... but that can also be used as a PC ... focus on the software market and offer a premium product as you said it for about 1.000 bucks (eating some of the costs) maybe change to a nvidia based card with top ray tracing .. that would be something.

now they are basically leaving of die hard fans anyway... dont know how they can loose more... specially with this shitty output in the last several years...

Last edited:

ByWatterson

The dudbro thing started with halo lan parties on the first xbox. Xbox would have been nothing without that. My only experience meeting up with people was for fighting games and that was on average a macho crowd as far as gamers go, but nothing compared to a good halo party. You had straight up jacked & tan meatheads shotgunning budweisers and gaming all night. It was kind of amazing, actually. I remember thinking it was great how these guys I would never assume would blow their whole weekends playing games were enjoying it so much. Xbox really would have gone nowhere if not for that.

I was there. College student 2002-2006.

It was incredible.

Brigandier

Jesus this is brutal.... Sony have December and Xmas sales to announce yet 😱

PS5 Pro next year and the exclusives they're going for the jugular.

I'm not a fan of MS and Xbox at all anymore but it's still sad to see as a market leader with little competition leads to stagnation.

TransTrender

Gold Member
They should really just buy the whole industry at this point.
It's the only way they can compete at this point.

People are taking the piss out of Wedbush bullshit (Probably from Michael Pachter).
Was that thread deleted?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
When you put it like that, these are just horrible numbers, and $350 XSX isn’t going to push the needle up whatsoever.

I mean frankly these sorts of numbers should have Phil explaining shit to Satya on what the fuck has he and the team been doing last 4 years (including the run up to X Series launch).

So I can absolutely see Phil throwing a Hail Mary and launching XSZ or whatever in 2025/2026 despite how terrible that decision might be.
Oh absolutely, you can bet on that.

Satya was already concerned and inquiring about the console sales market share well before the atrocious 2023. The current year would have him panicking, and Phil would surely be explaining what's going on here.

ROegLE5.jpg

Damn, I've seen some people saying that Xbox sales are like this because MS was too focused on the Activision acquisition to properly market the console 💀.

So these are the excuses we've had throughout the years:
- Release - 2021: Supply issues (I'll give them that)
- 2022: Lack of games
- 2023: Too focused on acquisition
- 2024: ?

I do think that the Activision acquisition was a distraction.

They didn't know if it would be successful or not, so they were in a status quo mode for a long time, where they probably could have and should have bought some smaller studios/publishers to get content up in front earlier on.

Activision gives them basically nothing in the short term and maybe even little in the long term.

I think to your point everything stems from the lack of quality/build up of XGS in the first place and it makes sense on paper why they would want to buy their biggest producers from their most successful time period (X360), but the reality is that those companies didn't create system sellers, they created highly consumable games that were more popular on PC but that popularity flowed over to console.

T2 would have done WAY more to shift the needle for them than ABK and would have come at half the cost. CDPR would have given them a franchise on par if not more popular than God of War in the Witcher and the funding that they could have put into Cyberpunk would have rivaled GTA.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If MS releases a game I want, I'd get them on a big discount on PC. Xbox is irrelevant.

I have a brilliant pc and xbox is far from irrelevant. It actually makes the consoles more relevant for me, but each to their own.

In my house I have 3 beastly gaming pcs. 2 xbox series x and 2 series s and a rog ally.

Xbox is the best eco system for me because I get play anywhere, instant cloud syncs etc.

Playing ganes persona 5 mobile anywhere I need to be in the house is amazing.

Like I say, each to their own.

Last edited:

GHG

I have a brilliant pc and xbox is far from irrelevant. It actually makes the consoles more relevant for me, but each to their own.

In my house I have 3 beastly gaming pcs. 2 zboz series x and 2 series s and a rog ally.

Xbox is the best eco system for me because I get play anywhere, instant cloud syncs etc.

So you have seven devices that do exactly the same thing?

A total of four current gen Xbox consoles?

Reality Reaction GIF by Married At First Sight

Literally couldn't be any further of being representative of the average consumer if you tried.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's like having a girlfriend with 7 vaginas. You only need one vagina.

Speak for yourself!

Seriously though, none of us are a representative of the average consumer.

Go check the hot uk deals threads on series x and there's a few messages about ps5 outselling xbox 20 to one etc in Europe and nearly every normal person's response is "why should we care, or even be interested in that"

Which is completely true.

Does it actually do anything for your situation in your house knowing playstation is outselling xbox? That switch is killing both of them? Of course not. What matters is a great eco system, console and games.

Xbox just hasn't got the last part quite right. I alot of good content but nothing truly incredible for the mass market adopter.

Last edited:

GHG

Yup, I have two ps5s a rift s and quest 3. Three nintendo switches and then onto old stuff like vitas Nd 3ds xls.

I'm a nerd.

200.gif

Explain to me why you would need 3 switches when it's a portable device?

The guys on hotukdeals are not representative either, it's essentially hoarders anonymous.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

In my house I have 3 beastly gaming pcs. 2 zboz series x and 2 series s and a rog ally.

One thing that is hard to understand is that a lot of people never tested a Xbox enough to know of their advantages and quality of life implementations. When I play on PS5, if I power off my console immediatly there will be problems with online saves. So I have to get out of the game, close it, then make a save verification. Each time. I never tested Xbox, but if they do it better it would be a great upgrade for me. But I have no reason to go Xbox as I love Playstation IPs and can use my PC for whatever Xbox got if I want to. There is a lot of phones out there with great hardware and at a small cost. But they are not Samsung/ Apple ones and are not considered as a result. It is the same for Xbox in my opinion. You boast of many consoles and PCs. Great for you. This is not the norm. Like having more than one car, this is rare. When you have less money, one is more than enough. And choosing Xbox instead of PS when we in Europe have a great history with it is difficult. And they are not doing what they need to, giving us games that can make us forget about PS exclusives.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
One thing that is hard to understand is that a lot of people never tested a Xbox enough to know of their advantages and quality of life implementations. When I play on PS5, if I power off my console immediatly there will be problems with online saves. So I have to get out of the game, close it, then make a save verification. Each time. I never tested Xbox, but if they do it better it would be a great upgrade for me. But I have no reason to go Xbox as I love Playstation IPs and can use my PC for whatever Xbox got if I want to. There is a lot of phones out there with great hardware and at a small cost. But they are not Samsung/ Apple ones and are not considered as a result. It is the same for Xbox in my opinion. You boast of many consoles and PCs. Great for you. This is not the norm. Like having more than one car, this is rare. When you have less money, one is more than enough. And choosing Xbox instead of PS when we in Europe have a great history with it is difficult. And they are not doing what they need to, giving us games that can make us forget about PS exclusives.

On xbox I can literally move to any xbox or pc in my house and it just shows a quick pop up box saying syncing saves and then you are where you left off.

Even on my rog ally.

Seamless.

I have two ps5s and it always asks me if I want to use the save from the cloud or the local one which sometimes confuses me on if I may lose progress, but I can live with it.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Not good enough. Drop SX to £299 and SS to £130. I know people on here say they still wouldn't buy it etc but in the real world I think it would seriously turn some heads.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I don’t understand this new narrative that’s forming that MS must start their next gen in order to start releasing good games.

They have a software issue. Nothing to do with the hardware. We have seen Sony turn the PS3 around and Nintendo the 3DS by releasing a stream of good games.

Abandoning the Series X would just cement the fact that MS aren’t in tune and don’t give a fuck about your investment.

Banjo64

cumsessed
This mentality confuses me?

If Microsoft made games that you liked you wouldn't want to play them just becuase they are on xbox, or would refuse to like them becuase of the platform they are on? It just sounds odd to me.
Post email leaks yeah, I’m really trying to hold them at arms length.

This company wants to buy Valve and Nintendo. That’s not whimsical locker room talk, they presented this at board level and have the backing should the opportunity arise. They are willing to destroy Nintendo for one man’s ‘career moment’.

We can all only vote with our wallets in life and put our money in the places we think are worthwhile. And for me I can’t give money to MS anymore. There’s hundreds of world class games on Nintendo and Sony’s platforms, there’s nothing that could force me back in to the Xbox ecosystem.

NEbeast

Speak for yourself!

Seriously though, none of us are a representative of the average consumer.

Go check the hot uk deals threads on series x and there's a few messages about ps5 outselling xbox 20 to one etc in Europe and nearly every normal person's response is "why should we care, or even be interested in that"

Which is completely true.

Does it actually do anything for your situation in your house knowing playstation is outselling xbox? That switch is killing both of them? Of course not. What matters is a great eco system, console and games.

Xbox just hasn't got the last part quite right. I alot of good content but nothing truly incredible for the mass market adopter.
You should care because xbox selling so poorly could have a direct impact on the eco system.

gerth666

Neo Member

This company wants to buy Valve and Nintendo. That’s not whimsical locker room talk, they presented this at board level and have the backing should the opportunity arise. They are willing to destroy Nintendo for one man’s ‘career moment’.

We can all only vote with our wallets in life and put our money in the places we think are worthwhile. And for me I can’t give money to MS anymore. There’s hundreds of world class games on Nintendo and Sony’s platforms, there’s nothing that could force me back in to the Xbox ecosystem.
What this guy says, couldn't say it better. I want the Xbox brand to burn, they're nothing but a blight on the gaming industry

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Yeah, nintendo is the only one of these companies that I truly hold dear....so ms has no support from me there. I don't think they will ever get the chance, or they better not I should say.
You should care because xbox selling so poorly could have a direct impact on the eco system.

Well, there's not much I can do about it. Microsoft, out of the three are the only ones that have proven ok from a legacy, refund and online option for me.

To think that if I stopped paying for ps plus, which I have but it runs out next November, I will have to move my saves via USB between my consoles is just atrocious.

microsoft needs to incentivise people to buy the console but ultimately I can't do anything about it.

zizou6971

Neo Member
I can see Microsoft doing a relaunch of their Xbox in 2025. They need to dump that stupid Series shit, and call it a normal name. Xbox 5, Super Xbox, XXXbox, anything so people understand it's something new and fresh.

They have the worst brand.
WiiU

Bernoulli

M2 slut

those emails explain why Spencer and greenberg follow timdog coltwood and other shills
They are running Xbox by listening to shills instead of consumers

You mean the last two gaming generations? You are describing the last decade, and people seem to have had plenty of fun in the last decade. Xbox had been selling poorly the entire time, we just didn't know how badly until the court-case leaked it.

Xbox selling poorly is the status quo. Most people barely remember a time when it was selling well. If it had an impact it seemed to be a good one for those not on Xbox.

H-I-M

Xbox selling poorly is the status quo. Most people barely remember a time when it was selling well. If it had an impact it seemed to be a good one for those not on Xbox.

Phil Spencer (little intern at Xbox, so clearly he has no idea what he's talking about) in 2020 :

“We have a plan and we feel very solid about it. I believe we have a plan that can win [the next generation.]"
“I feel good about the price we’re going to be able to get to. I feel good about the price and the performance capabilities that we have for Series X. I feel incredibly strong about the overall package.

But suuuuureee, they totally expected to get outsold 20:1 in Europe and 2:1 in the US (their strongest market).
200.gif

Ar¢tos

Xbox ending console production would have no real impact on anything.

- Xboxes are sold at loss, so no loss of profit there
- Xbox studios would go 3rd party and sell games on Playstation, increased profit for Xbox there
- Xbox studios would be competing on the same level as every other 3rd party (assuming they get their shit together and drop the "good enough for gamepass" mentality)
- Xbox without having to worry with hardware could increase focus on xcould/gamepass
- Sony would still be compelled to make the best consoles possible for the best price possible because consumers want to see generational leaps and pay as minimum as possible for it, and they still depend on sales so the product has to be attractive to consumers. Without Xbox competition they know they will need even more units and can get better deals for components, so it's a win-win for Sony and consumers.
- PlayStation Studios also need to compete with 3rd parties so they need to decide if the emotional woke walking simulator + GaaS is the right direction to continue going

Thirty7ven

Banned
I do think that the Activision acquisition was a distraction.

They didn't know if it would be successful or not, so they were in a status quo mode for a long time, where they probably could have and should have bought some smaller studios/publishers to get content up in front earlier on.

Activision gives them basically nothing in the short term and maybe even little in the long term.

I think to your point everything stems from the lack of quality/build up of XGS in the first place and it makes sense on paper why they would want to buy their biggest producers from their most successful time period (X360), but the reality is that those companies didn't create system sellers, they created highly consumable games that were more popular on PC but that popularity flowed over to console.

T2 would have done WAY more to shift the needle for them than ABK and would have come at half the cost. CDPR would have given them a franchise on par if not more popular than God of War in the Witcher and the funding that they could have put into Cyberpunk would have rivaled GTA.

Can’t buy what’s not for sale, and T2 shareholders wouldn’t approve selling the company before GTAVI comes out.

Cdpr has also communicated that they don’t want to sell.

You’re looking at the problem as if it’s a car and all you need is to buy a new car. Well MS has bought plenty of cars, that’s all they have been doing. How can the answer be keep buying cars until everyone else is riding the bus?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Same. I have given Xbox plenty of money over the years. After those email leaks, however, I haven't purchased anything from them - not for even a single dollar.

At some point, we gotta vote with our wallet against someone who is after the hobby we've loved since we were kids.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I’m sad that this may be it for Xbox because the Series X as it is fits most of my gaming needs very well.

I rarely buy a game day one anymore if it’s not a Nintendo game. Most big games go on sale fast, and after a few patches have ironed out the biggest kinks. I don’t suffer from FOMO.

Game Pass is a good proposition for me. I get to play many little games I would never buy otherwise, and I get to try big games that I’m not sure may be for me without having to pay full price. Performance is good enough, I don’t game so much anymore to invest in an up-to-date gaming PC. Plus, I like the simplicity of consoles.

Sure, there’s stuff on PS that interests me on paper, especially some Japanese games, but when push comes to shove it’s not enough to make me buy another console. Sony’s first-party offering is the antipode of what I want from a video game at this point. I couldn’t suffer an hour through the first TLOU.
Doesn’t help that the console itself is a monstrosity.

Oh well, let’s see what the future brings. I hope that I can keep my Xbox library if the brand goes third party.

It's like having a girlfriend with 7 vaginas. You only need one vagina.
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/eight-legs-seven-vaganias

Ar¢tos

Jesus this is brutal.... Sony have December and Xmas sales to announce yet 😱

PS5 Pro next year and the exclusives they're going for the jugular.

I'm not a fan of MS and Xbox at all anymore but it's still sad to see as a market leader with little competition leads to stagnation.
We are 10 days away from Xmas. When are these sales supposed to start?

Top Bottom