• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YTD (Feb): PS5 1.88 m; NSW 1.25 m; X/S 0.55 m

zedinen

US, UK, Japan, Mainland Europe

Mainland Europe : Hardware sales cover Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

gnuDYxR.jpeg

OGg8ved.jpeg

UOtuwlg.jpeg

sneayrl.jpeg

FbY9jTX.jpeg

US: IB Estimates

Mainland Europe Jan : IB Estimates (Hardware sales cover Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland)

Mainland Europe Feb : IB Estimates (Hardware sales cover Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland)

UK Jan: IB Estimates

UK Feb: IB Estimates

Japan : Gematsu (Famitsu Sales)

diffusionx

Gold Member
Xbox is not a viable console platform anymore, unfortunately. Consider what Nintendo did when their platform got like 20% of the market. Xbox isn't even that. Massive changes are necessary.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
The problem is that will only lead to less sales for Xbox. By porting to other systems they have basically thrown in the towel.

I agree. But I feel that they've reached the point where they believe this is their only option to stay viable in the market.

The problem is that will only lead to less sales for Xbox. By porting to other systems they have basically thrown in the towel.

They have thrown in the towel. It's interesting that people don't see what's clear.

Their remaining presence is not to gain additional market share it's to keep the operating income of the market share that they still have.

Unlike Sega, Microsoft is its own retailer with the digital storefront and there is still GamePass revenue.

Killjoy-NL

They have thrown in the towel. It's interesting that people don't see what's clear.

Their remaining presence is not to gain additional market share it's to keep the operating income of the market share that they still have.

Unlike Sega, Microsoft is its own retailer with the digital storefront and there is still GamePass revenue.
GamePass subs will decline as the Xbox installbase declines though.

Eventually people will leave the Xbox eco-system and move to Playstation and Nintendo on consoles.
This will inevitably lead to a decline in GamePass installbase, so most likely they will have to increase the price of the sub-fee, which in turn will make the installbase decline even more.

Unless somehow Playstation and Nintendo will allow GP on their platforms, but I don't see that happening.

It can only go downhill for Xbox from here on out.
They'll have to become a proper 3rd publisher at some point.

Last edited:
GamePass subs will decline as the Xbox installbase declines though.

Eventually people will leave the Xbox eco-system and move to Playstation and Nintendo on consoles.
This will inevitably lead to a decline in GamePass installbase, so most likely they will have to increase the price of the sub-fee, which in turn will make the installbase decline even more.

Unless somehow Playstation and Nintendo will allow GP on their platforms, but I don't see that happening.

It can only go downhill for Xbox from here on out.
They'll have to become a proper 3rd publisher at some point.

GamePass isn't going to continue as it is today forever. Eventually, you'll only see MS + ABK + Bethesda games on it. It will decline though over time.

The question of whether people will leave the Xbox ecosystem is an interesting one. I think many people are tied into the ecosystem. A large percentage will stick it out well longer than is reasonable. Also many will go to PC rather than Sony.

GamePass as it exists in the future may end up on PlayStation and maybe even Nintendo.

The thing about 3rd party publishers is that everyone will probably have their own streaming storefront in the future. We're looking at a post console world. Gen Z and younger don't care enough about the living room. They want their games wherever they want to play them. This is why Sony and Microsoft are going to get into handhelds.

Killjoy-NL

GamePass isn't going to continue as it is today forever. Eventually, you'll only see MS + ABK + Bethesda games on it. It will decline though over time.

The question of whether people will leave the Xbox ecosystem is an interesting one. I think many people are tied into the ecosystem. A large percentage will stick it out well longer than is reasonable. Also many will go to PC rather than Sony.

GamePass as it exists in the future may end up on PlayStation and maybe even Nintendo.

The thing about 3rd party publishers is that everyone will probably have their own streaming storefront in the future. We're looking at a post console world. Gen Z and younger don't care enough about the living room. They want their games wherever they want to play them. This is why Sony and Microsoft are going to get into handhelds.
Most console gamers will stay on consoles. Thinking otherwise is shortsighted.

We can just look at console sales numbers between PS and Xbox:

PS2 - 155M
Xbox - 24M
Total: 179M

PS3 - 87M
X360 - 84M
Total: 171M

PS4 - 117M
XBO - 58M
Total: 174M

The demographic of Playstation and Xbox will likely remain at around 170M, with the split showing Playstation dominance.
This also falls in line with execs stating that the console-market hasn't grown.

Thinking the majority of the Xbox installbase somehow makes a sudden switch to PC is wishfull thinking.

Last edited:

PS2 - 155M
Xbox - 24M

PS3 - 87M
X360 - 84M

PS4 - 117M
XBO - 58M

The demographic of Playstation and Xbox will likely remain at around 170M, with the split showing Playstation dominance.
This also falls in line with execs stating that the console-market hasn't grown.

Thinking the majority of the Xbox installbase somehow makes a sudden switch to PC is wishfull thinking.

I also wonder how skewed the PS3/X360 generation was on those sales number since X360 had such a high failure rate at the beginning because of RROD, everyone that I knew at that time that owned a X360 had purchased at least 1 new console due to RROD issues, my brother went through 2 consoles due to failures. I know PS3 had the YLOD as well, but I know that X360 failure rate was quite high at the beginning.

Killjoy-NL

I also wonder how skewed the PS3/X360 generation was on those sales number since X360 had such a high failure rate at the beginning because of RROD, everyone that I knew at that time that owned a X360 had purchased at least 1 new console due to RROD issues, my brother went through 2 consoles due to failures. I know PS3 had the YLOD as well, but I know that X360 failure rate was quite high at the beginning.
Tbf, my OG PS3 YLOD'd twice.

Last edited:
Portable pivot is the gameplan now. Of course, ms gonna sabotage themselves by making it a wall garden instead of being a gamepass machine that so happens to install steam.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I honestly dont know how MS turns this around. Ive seen miracles happen before like with the kinect, but even the X1 didnt bomb like this. i would love to see some comparisons for the first 3 years of the PS4X1 gen because it never felt like this.

And this after they finally had a decent year with exclusives like hifi, redfall, starfield and forza. If their games are not selling consoles then what will?

I dont think anyone wants to buy a microsoft handheld. MS just doesnt have that hardware pedigree. People arent going to buy hellblade, avowed and indiana jones. Elder scrolls is half a decade away. halo is done. Gears is done. neither franchise will move consoles. Fable will do well on PC. they are not even close to producing goty caliber games. or viral games like helldivers.

I dont know how they can turn the ship around.

I honestly dont know how MS turns this around. Ive seen miracles happen before like with the kinect, but even the X1 didnt bomb like this. i would love to see some comparisons for the first 3 years of the PS4X1 gen because it never felt like this.

And this after they finally had a decent year with exclusives like hifi, redfall, starfield and forza. If their games are not selling consoles then what will?

I dont think anyone wants to buy a microsoft handheld. MS just doesnt have that hardware pedigree. People arent going to buy hellblade, avowed and indiana jones. Elder scrolls is half a decade away. halo is done. Gears is done. neither franchise will move consoles. Fable will do well on PC. they are not even close to producing goty caliber games. or viral games like helldivers.

I dont know how they can turn the ship around.
MS will need to find a way to migrate those Xbox console users to PC...otherwise i can't imagine how Gamepass can grow. It's probably decreasing as we speak and it's clear they won't be able to grow in any substancial way anymore.

In the end i feel like Sony will win the most. Console users going to PC for no reason makes no sense and if PS consoles start to get all Xbox games, Xbox users could migrate to PS consoles with no problem. Not only they would have access to Xbox games but also PS games now.

Might as well just go full third party at this rate. They'll make more revenue that way rather than selling a profit-losing, market-share shrinking console 😅.

If it wasn't for the outrage of Xbox fans last month, Microsoft wouldn't just be moving '4 titles' to PlayStation. They'll move everything. Getting folk into Gamepass is their priority. Once they have the user access, they market to them etc.

Last edited:
Gen Z and younger don't care enough about the living room. They want their games wherever they want to play them. This is why Sony and Microsoft are going to get into handhelds.
I do wonder though if this will still be the case once Gen z starts having families and careers. Your gaming habits change and playing on the go isn't really an option once you have a family and career.

Do all these numbers have Xbox engagement numbers factored in, as I'm sure that with those calculations it would be a different picture altogether

Humdinger

What were the ratios for US and UK last-gen?

I was trying to remember that myself. I used to pay close attention to this stuff, but I haven't for years. Here's what my foggy memory is telling me. For the US and UK, the two consoles started the generation selling pretty much the same. So 1:1 in the beginning. Then, over time, the gap gradually widened. Near the middle, the ratio was around 1.5 to 1. Near the end of the generation, the ratio was about 1.8 to 1, and at the very end, it reached 2 to 1, might have even exceeded that by a smidge. The UK always tracked pretty close to US, so I imagine it followed a similar pattern.

edit: I should clarify, I'm talking about sales of the consoles at a particular point in time (like in the OP charts), not overall totals at the end of the generation. (also edited as memory became a little clearer)

Last edited:

PS2 - 155M
Xbox - 24M

PS3 - 87M
X360 - 84M

PS4 - 117M
XBO - 58M

Where did I say the majority?

Your numbers are also skewed because they ignore the Dreamcast and the Gamecube. The Wii is hard to calculate because it sold to so many non-core gamers and the Switch sold to a lot of people who would have bought it solely as a handheld. So calculating the real total consumers is a bit difficult and focusing on just Ps vs Xbox is a bit disingenuous even when looking at how much of the xbox userbase the playstation will envelope.

Some people will go to PC, some will go to Nintendo, some will go to Sony, and some will stick it out with Microsoft for a very long time.

The real question is does PlayStation experience any substantial uptick in sales due to Microsoft receding from the market. Their market share is already so small, that the percent that do go, will probably not move the needle for Sony significantly.

Unknown?

I was trying to remember that myself. I used to pay close attention to this stuff, but I haven't for years. Here's what my foggy memory is telling me. For the US and UK, the two consoles started the generation selling pretty much the same. So 1:1 in the beginning. Then, over time, the gap gradually widened. By the end of the gen, I believe the US ratio was a smidge over 2 to 1, maybe 2.2 to 1. UK always tracked pretty close to US, so I imagine the UK ratio was about 2 to 1 as well.
I don't think US was 2:1. PS4 only edged out the One by 5 million in the US by the end I believe.

Humdinger

I don't think US was 2:1. PS4 only edged out the One by 5 million in the US by the end I believe.

Really? If so, my memory is failing me. Although I should clarify that I'm talking about how the consoles were selling at a particular point in time -- like what is shown in these charts -- not the overall totals. (I'll add that clarification to my post)

Last edited:
I do wonder though if this will still be the case once Gen z starts having families and careers. Your gaming habits change and playing on the go isn't really an option once you have a family and career.

I think this is why the Switch has been so successful by giving the option to do both. And believe it or not, you can play a handheld at home too.

Nintendo doesn't even have Netflix, which just strikes me as absurd to Netflix at this point.

It's not really absurd.

Nintendo wants people using a switch to be playing their games, not doing things that aren't generating Nintendo money.

Nintendo knows these people have phones and can utilize their phone for netflix. Adding it to the Switch doesn't really generate much extra value for them.

Unknown?

Really? If so, my memory is failing me. Although I should clarify that I'm talking about how the consoles were selling at a particular point in time -- like what is shown in these charts -- not the overall totals. (I'll add that clarification to my post)
Ah, gotchya. Yes in the final month to month basis I believe it got there but totals were close. PS5 has widened the overall gap an insane amount for the US.

Killjoy-NL

Where did I say the majority?

Your numbers are also skewed because they ignore the Dreamcast and the Gamecube. The Wii is hard to calculate because it sold to so many non-core gamers and the Switch sold to a lot of people who would have bought it solely as a handheld. So calculating the real total consumers is a bit difficult and focusing on just Ps vs Xbox is a bit disingenuous even when looking at how much of the xbox userbase the playstation will envelope.

Some people will go to PC, some will go to Nintendo, some will go to Sony, and some will stick it out with Microsoft for a very long time.

The real question is does PlayStation experience any substantial uptick in sales due to Microsoft receding from the market. Their market share is already so small, that the percent that do go, will probably not move the needle for Sony significantly.
I left out Nintendo, because I was talking about PS vs Xbox.

Nintendo will also complicate the discussion as the Wii and Switch were relying on very different demographics than the console demographic.

But if you want to add Nintendo:

Gamecube - 22M
Wii - 101M*
Wii U - 14M
Switch - 140M**

* Wii was a weird one that was a fad and a success amongst a casual non-gaming demographic.

** Switch is a console/handheld hybrid that relies heavily on the handheld-demographic.

Console-gamers jumping to PC is tiny minority and can pretty much be considered negligible.
There's also some overlap, so numbers will always be a bit skewed.

Overall, Playstation and Xbox consist of the same demographic, hence why there has always been fierce competition between those two platforms.

Last edited:
I left out Nintendo, because I was talking about PS vs Xbox.

Nintendo will also complicate the discussion as the Wii and Switch were relying on very different demographics than the console demographic.

But if you want to add Nintendo:

Gamecube - 22M
Wii - 101M*
Wii U - 14M
Switch - 140M**

* Wii was a weird one that was a fad and a success amongst a casual non-gaming demographic.

** Switch is a console/handheld hybrid that relies heavily on the handheld-demographic.

Console-gamers jumping to PC is tiny minority and can pretty much be considered negligible.
There's also some overlap, so numbers will always be a bit skewed.

Overall, Playstation and Xbox consist of the same demographic, hence why there has always been fierce competition between those two platforms.
You definitely didn't read my post.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I've been saying for months it looked like end of generation numbers for Series consoles...but dayum.

Top Bottom