• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YTD: PS5 14.5 m; NSW 9.91 m; X/S ~ 4.15 m

Neo_GAF

Banned
Outside of US Xbox brand was always quite small, even in 360 days Sony was winning in Europe and in a lot of other places.

It's only MS fault for treating the world outside us as less important.

Or maybe people just like PS more than Xbox?
i mean sony already treats their customers like shit,(the price increase of ps-plus)
ms doesnt even acknowledge, that they have customers out there. but still i really wonder, why xbox is much worse selling everywhere else, despite both systems not having proper games.
except for returnal and ff16, there is nothing. every other multi game i buy on xbox.

but for most people, they dont even care about that...

TheTony316

i mean sony already treats their customers like shit,(the price increase of ps-plus)
ms doesnt even acknowledge, that they have customers out there. but still i really wonder, why xbox is much worse selling everywhere else, despite both systems not having proper games.
except for returnal and ff16, there is nothing. every other multi game i buy on xbox.

Because Xbox localization and customer support outside of english speaking countries is terrible. Why would people in Europe care about Xbox, if MS treats them as an afterthought? I haven't seen an Xbox commercial in over a decade. Meanwhile Sony and Nintendo are everywhere.

Last edited:
i really dont understand, why people are buying more sony stuff than ms stuff.
ps-plus is more expensive, the whole ps4/ps5 thing is complicated, games are more expensive, except for a few exclusives(most people dont care about), almost the same games.

still everyone buys a ps5 for fifa, cod, fortnite and diablo. i know 5 more people at work having a playstation.
Brand preference. And I think the exclusive games have a halo effect on the console that is not reflected in just unit sales of the individual games.

If you think PS5 only has those two games, I can only imagine what you think of Xbox's lineup.

I think the answer for you is quite simple.

People like the brand and enjoy the products. If they didn't they wouldn't buy it.

It's that simple.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
i really dont understand, why people are buying more sony stuff than ms stuff.
ps-plus is more expensive, the whole ps4/ps5 thing is complicated, games are more expensive, except for a few exclusives(most people dont care about), almost the same games.

still everyone buys a ps5 for fifa, cod, fortnite and diablo. i know 5 more people at work having a playstation.
  • PS Plus is $160 per year. Game Pass is $204 per year.
  • PS Plus also has a bigger catalog of games (800+). Game Pass has fewer games (500+).
  • PS Plus also adds more games every month (~17). Game Pass adds fewer games every month (~6-12).
PS5 is cheaper (Digital at $399) and offers more: a better controller, VR capabilities, etc. More importantly, you can buy into the more popular console that most of your friends would also have.

All these factors count. Not to mention, the amazing marketing PlayStation has that puts it right, left, and center. And, of course, better third-party support.

On the other hand, Xbox's advertisements for Starfield literally says that 'you don't need an Xbox console to play Starfield.' Why would the majority would then buy an Xbox?

These things may or may not appeal to you -- which is fine -- but for the majority, it clearly does.

Killjoy-NL

Man...the Switch is unfazed by the next-gen competition; Nintendo's in a unique position in that it could completely pull the rug out of their competitors if they chose to.
Switch is mainly a kids/soccer moms console (which is not a bad thing).

There will always be kids and soccer moms.

Playstation has mainly a teen/adult demographic, which is totally different.

Ofcourse there's some overlap, but this (along with Switch being a console-handheld hybrid) is the reason why they can easily co-exist and flourish.

Last edited:

yurinka

Cloud gaming will never be profitable. Just imagine what would happen if MS had a sudden breakout GAAS success with 10-20 million people playing only to have it fizzle out after six months because that fickle audience hooked onto another company's F2P game that suddenly went supernova.

How do you scale up from a few million concurrent players to ten-twenty million people? Cloud server infrastructures can scale up quickly if you need compute power and/or storage, but in this case you need cloud gaming servers with dedicated 3D graphics hardware that can handle multiple users, Those kind of servers don't come cheap and it takes enormous investments to create cloud gaming server farms. Another problem is lag, so those cloud gaming server farms need to be built in multiple geolocations to be close to where the audience is, otherwise European gamers would have a terrible experience playing a 4K 60fps game from a distant US server and vice versa. But now you've got all that expensive hardware sitting idle for most of the day, because most people are playing games in the evening between 19:00-23:00.

I just don't see how cloud gaming will ever be our future when it's so much easier and cheaper for MS and Sony to let players just run games on their own PC/console. The only reason why MS and Sony both offer cloud gaming services is FOMO.
Sony managed to generate way more revenue and subs, and keep profitability from their game subs -which include cloud-.

The difference is that Sony don't put there big games there day one, but instead they wait until the games sold most of its sales and already are profitable, and the game sub and cloud is used as a secondary extra revenue for the game, which even if small it's better than to have in the store selling nothing or almost nothing.

Being old games they don't (almost) lose game sales, and it's way cheaper to sign them in the case of 3rd party ones.

Regarding server distance from the players yes, one of the reasons of latency (lag) is that distance so the bigger the distance the bigger the latency. They already have datacenters in the regions supported, so to add way more servers properly distributed across the supported regions to ensure they aren't too far from players.

But since these servers are super expensive they need to grow their userbase to pay them, so it's something that will take time but will be adressed as they keep growing or as they manage to find ways -as the iSize tech recently acquired by Sony- to heavily reduce server costs while also improving latency and image quality.

yurinka

Switch is mainly a kids/soccer moms console (which is not a bad thing).

There will always be kids and soccer moms.

Playstation has mainly a teen/adult demographic, which is totally different.

Ofcourse there's some overlap, but this (along with Switch being a console-handheld hybrid) is the reason why they can easily co-exist and flourish.
The real average demographics of the Switch/Nintendo users are basically the same than in the other consoles: 25-35 years old as the man group followed by 35-45 years old, almost 50-50 regarding gender with slightly more males.

Nintendo customers were kids in the NES/SNES/N64 era and kept buying these games.

The kids play mobile games, Fortnite, Roblox, Minecraft etc. instead.

Last edited:

Mowcno

Man...the Switch is unfazed by the next-gen competition; Nintendo's in a unique position in that it could completely pull the rug out of their competitors if they chose to.
Yes, like when the Switch launched to great success in 2017 and PS4 sales plummeted... Except that didn't happen, 2017 was PS4's best year.

Nintendo consoles success does not damage PlayStation sales and vice versa. It doesn't matter how successful the ps5 is it won't hurt the Switch 2 and it doesn't matter how successful the Switch 2 is it won't hurt the PS5.

It would take a pretty radical shift for Nintendo to suddenly start stealing customers from PlayStation rather than the two machines having very different appeal.

• PS Plus also has a bigger catalog of games (800+). Game Pass has fewer games (500+).
  • PS Plus also adds more games every month (~17). Game Pass adds fewer games every month (~6-12).
PS5 is cheaper (Digital at $399) and offers more: a better controller, VR capabilities, etc. More importantly, you can buy into the more popular console that most of your friends would also have.

All these factors count. Not to mention, the amazing marketing PlayStation has that puts it right, left, and center. And, of course, better third-party support.

On the other hand, Xbox's advertisements for Starfield literally says that 'you don't need an Xbox console to play Starfield.' Why would the majority would then buy an Xbox?

These things may or may not appeal to you -- which is fine -- but for the majority, it clearly does.

This is a good summary.

Plus Sony actively uses retailer reps and regional meetings in each territory to promote the brand to retailers. Sony's behind the scene engagement is second to none.

Killjoy-NL

The real average demographics of the Switch/Nintendo users are basically the same than in the other consoles: 25-35 years old as the man group followed by 35-45 years old, almost 50-50 regarding gender with slightly more males.

Nintendo customers were kids in the NES/SNES/N64 era and kept buying these games.

Yeah, I stand corrected.

Still, 25-45 is an age group where many have kids, so I highly doubt that isn't a major selling point for Switch.

Purely anecdotal, but everyone I know who owns a Switch (and previously a Wii) bought it mainly for their kids, or at the very least the kids use it primarily.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
There is a reason Sony is trying to aggressively increase their numbers right now. The more units they put between the PS5 and XBS the more difficult and expensive it will be for Microsoft to get exclusive deals. Either companies will refuse because they don't want their games to end up like X1 exclusive games or they'll cost an absolute fortune to the point where it doesn't make financial sense for Microsoft to make the deals.

The biggest thing Microsoft could do would be to get 3 months exclusivity for GTA6 and we'll see if they're able to do that. The game will probably launch right before the holidays which would up the cost of doing that too.

Imagine you have next year 70 million units that your game isn't going to touch... That's a tough pill to swallow.
What are you even talking about? Why would MS need exclusives from 3rd parties when they recently bought some of the biggest ones? Sony isn't shooting for that, they just want to sell more of their games and get more licensing revenue. Nobody at Sony is worrying about 3rd party exclusives on Xbox.

Yeah i don't understand the narrative that PS Plus is more expensive and has less games than Gamepass that i keep reading in here...plus the console's prices.
Seems like the GP doesn't get it either considering Xbox doesn't sell that much.

KungFucius

King Snowflake

Huh? The PS5 controller is not better. You might like it better, but that is not objective. The Xbox controller has a better layout and allows for quick swap batteries/packs which means people can game without worrying about charge.

PS plus is shit value. All games are older and less interesting. Gamepass has a lot of that too, but they have a lot of new games that are worth playing. I currently have both services and barely use the PS one. If I didn't have all PS consoles then maybe I would, but I don't really want to play PS4 games or games I already bought on PS5 a year or so ago. I would have bought Starfield, but instead I got to play it for 10 bucks. Saved me 60 of the 70 bucks I used to pay for Spider-Man 2.

I really can't believe you can just cite raw numbers and act like it is a better value to gamers. Gamers usually want new games, not a dozen PS1 games or whatever. This is so ridiculously biased it isn't even funny.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Yeah i don't understand the narrative that PS Plus is more expensive and has less games than Gamepass that i keep reading in here...plus the console's prices.
Seems like the GP doesn't get it either considering Xbox doesn't sell that much.
Is it really that hard to understand that people do not value having access to games they already played and have no interest in ever playing again as much as they value having access to newly released games? Seriously take off your fanboy goggles. Numbers without context don't mean what you think they mean.

Is it really that hard to understand that people do not value having access to games they already played and have no interest in ever playing again as much as they value having access to newly released games? Seriously take off your fanboy goggles. Numbers without context don't mean what you think they mean.
Is it that hard to understand that people don't always buy games day one and that if they valued newly released games on gamepass those subscribers numbers wouldn't be virtually stalled for years already and missing MS's predictions for 2 years in a row?

Day-one releases are clearly overrated and people don't care that much for those. Specially considering Gamepass is on PC as well.

GametimeUK

I'd love to see Xbox be more successful in the console hardware space. I do think we need the balance and competition to keep these guys in check.

It is what it is though. I much preferred Xbox at the beginning of this generation in the cross gen period. The backwards compatibility, vrr, frame boost etc were incredible features. I really enjoyed Halo Infinite, Gears Hivebusters, Forza Horizon etc. Earlier this year Hifi-RUSH blew me away.

Overall though it's not been enough. It's 2nd to my PS5 now and mainly used to play 360 games / emulation.

I love the device itself and its features are incredible, but the support for games released this generation has left me wanting a bit more so it's easy to see why it isn't as successful.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Huh? The PS5 controller is not better. You might like it better, but that is not objective. The Xbox controller has a better layout and allows for quick swap batteries/packs which means people can game without worrying about charge.
No, "the Xbox controller has a better layout" is literally your subjective opinion. There is nothing objective about it.

On the other hand, the PS5 DualSense controller has advanced features that the Xbox controller doesn't have. Xbox is even trying to get those features into its next iteration of controller to be launched next year.

That's how the DualSense is objectively better and more loaded than the Xbox controller. Otherwise, the Xbox Series controller is the same controller as the 2013 version with a Share button slapped to it.
PS plus is shit value. All games are older and less interesting. Gamepass has a lot of that too, but they have a lot of new games that are worth playing. I currently have both services and barely use the PS one. If I didn't have all PS consoles then maybe I would, but I don't really want to play PS4 games or games I already bought on PS5 a year or so ago. I would have bought Starfield, but instead I got to play it for 10 bucks. Saved me 60 of the 70 bucks I used to pay for Spider-Man 2.

I really can't believe you can just cite raw numbers and act like it is a better value to gamers. Gamers usually want new games, not a dozen PS1 games or whatever. This is so ridiculously biased it isn't even funny.
Again, you're sharing your subjective takes that go against objective facts.

I'd personally take a subscription with Returnal, Miles Morales, and Ghost of Tsushima over the one with Halo Infinite, Redfall, and Starfield.

But these are subjective takes. The objective facts remains what I wrote above: PS Plus offers more games at a cheaper price. Whether those games are better than Game Pass library or not depends on the person's tastes.

Considering more people have PS5s than Xbox and PS Plus has more subscribers than Game Pass, it is clear that your opinion represents the minority group, and the majority of gamers disagree with your take.

I'd personally take a subscription with Returnal, Miles Morales, and Ghost of Tsushima over the one with Halo Infinite, Redfall, and Starfield.

But these are subjective takes. The objective facts remains what I wrote above: PS Plus offers more games at a cheaper price. Whether those games are better than Game Pass library or not depends on the person's tastes.

Considering more people have PS5s than Xbox and PS Plus has more subscribers than Game Pass, it is clear that your opinion represents the minority group, and the majority of gamers disagree with your take.
And again: Gamepass is on PC as well, unlike the console-only PS Plus.
There's also something else objective: The PS Plus tiers are more successful and more people are upgrading than Sony originally expected vs Gamepass failing every year to MS's predictions.

Also...PS Plus streaming is much better than whatever solution MS has currently. 4K streaming of PS5 games is running like native games (almost).

The only thing Gamepass has that PS Plus doesn't is day one releases. PS Plus has more games, better streaming, it's cheaper, has more options to subscribe, etc...

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I don't understand what MS is doing here, it's 2023 Christmas and series S is still full price?
The whole idea on this box was cheaper to make and sell, they could easily be selling this for $199 or less. Or bundle it with a year of gamepass.

Where is the big price drop on series X to spur sales? Remember when game console companies used price to fight console wars??

They will pay 70 billion for Activision but they won't spend 5 billion on hardware losses?

Wake up ms.

The Dualsense is incredible. When I game on anything else the controller feels so primitive. The plus points you've stated for the Xbox controller really aren't backed up by the data - the Dualsense is THE most bought accessory for all consoles. Options with different layouts are available but it keeps on being the greatest seller month after month.

If Xbox is better value and has lots of great games then why has it been rejected again and again and again?

People see PlayStation as a premium product that offers great value.

Unknown?

The problem is those new games aren't very good or are very infrequent. Gamepass has touted day 1 exclusives for years now with very little to show for it. It's been a bullet point but has shown very little value so far and really has only been used as a promise of value in the future.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The console market doesn’t seem large enough to support three players, any longer.
People aren’t buying Xbox, but those lost players aren’t migrating to Playstation either.

onQ123

The console market doesn’t seem large enough to support three players, any longer.
People aren’t buying Xbox, but those lost players aren’t migrating to Playstation either.
As of now close to 50 million people have paid $500 for PS5 & Series X in 3 years

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Interesting.

It only took 3 years for this narrative to change.

When the PS5 and Series consoles launched, I remember how BC for the Series consoles was always propped up as a great thing vs the PS5.

Now old games dont matter when its Game Pass vs Plus...huh.

Last edited:

The market has grown so there's definitely enough to go around. Its up to the three to recognise what the market wants and to cater to their needs.

Neo_GAF

Banned
They are.

i can tell you, 2 friends who had a ps4, bought a ps5, were to lazy to take over their old account to the ps5 and simply created new accounts.
they dont care.
i dont know if this adds to the formula, but yea.

iam unsure, if 20 year old shit games from the ps1/ps2 era do count as "wow, our library is huge" argument against game pass and the price.
most game pass games are moderately new and not some old shit emulated on a ps4/5.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
i can tell you, 2 friends who had a ps4, bought a ps5, were to lazy to take over their old account to the ps5 and simply created new accounts.
they dont care.
It would add to the new userbase. But I can't imagine more than 1% of people being that stupid to do that (no offense to your friends).

It literally takes more time to create a new account than to sign in to your current account. Not to mention the huge loss of digital library.
iam unsure, if 20 year old shit games from the ps1/ps2 era do count as "wow, our library is huge" argument against game pass and the price.
most game pass games are moderately new and not some old shit emulated on a ps4/5.
Most of the games on PS Plus are NOT emulated. https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps-plus/games/

In fact, PS Plus has more non-emulated (PS4/PS5 only games) than the entire Game Pass library (emulated + non-emulated), which are only a measly 473 right now.

In 2 comments, you have posted 2 factually incorrect data: (1) PS+ is more expensive than GP and (2) PS+ library mostly has ps1/ps2 games. I'd suggest correcting your facts to add more credibility and neutrality in your arguments.

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

Interesting.

When the PS5 and Series consoles launched, I remember how BC for the Series consoles was always propped up as a great thing vs the PS5.

Absolutely. The addition of PS1 classics with trophy support is a big deal for some gamers, including myself.

Twisted Metal, Legend of Dragoon, Syphon Filter, with platinums? Excellent move by Sony imo. Keep em coming!

I agree with you though how it’s funny that older classics all of a sudden don’t matter anymore now.

Sorc3r3r

May I add commitment?
After all these years, after all these generations, you can bet that if you buy a playstation, Sony will provide a continuous stream of games and support for almost decade, this happened for 4 generations, even with the ps3, and seems a safe bet that this will happen with this generation too.
With Sony you are covered.
It's not something you may take for granted with the competition.

Woopah

Yeah, I stand corrected.

Still, 25-45 is an age group where many have kids, so I highly doubt that isn't a major selling point for Switch.

Purely anecdotal, but everyone I know who owns a Switch (and previously a Wii) bought it mainly for their kids, or at the very least the kids use it primarily.
The only amendment I'd add here is that (according to Circana) the Switch audience was slightly more female than male (52:48).

Sony and Nintendo doing well like usual. Xbox numbers are dire, even after their biggest games came out this fall....
I do wonder if they will go third party at some point like Sega if there isn't a big turnaround by next gen.

Neo_GAF

Banned
It would add to the new userbase. But I can't imagine more than 1% of people being that stupid to do that (no offense to your friends).

It literally takes more time to create a new account than to sign in to your current account. Not to mention the huge loss of digital library.

Most of the games on PS Plus are NOT emulated. https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps-plus/games/

In fact, PS Plus has more non-emulated (PS4/PS5 only games) than the entire Game Pass library (emulated + non-emulated), which are only a measly 473 right now.

In 2 comments, you have posted 2 factually incorrect data: (1) PS+ is more expensive than GP and (2) PS+ library mostly has ps1/ps2 games. I'd suggest correcting your facts to add more credibility and neutrality in your arguments.
in this case you are right and i apologize.
i still hate playstation and sony.

Shakka43

they dont care.

Your two friends are not too lazy, they are too dumb lol. Judging by your second paragraph it seems you have been hanging out with them a little too much.

Unknown?

Interesting.

Not to mention with no disc drive BC will be severely hampered for everything before Xbox One.

What are you even talking about? Why would MS need exclusives from 3rd parties when they recently bought some of the biggest ones? Sony isn't shooting for that, they just want to sell more of their games and get more licensing revenue. Nobody at Sony is worrying about 3rd party exclusives on Xbox.

With the 80 billion they spent, what is going to be their biggest exclusive game in the next 2 years?

Outside of CoD ABK doesn't really have hit games on consoles, live service games aside, that I'd be surprised if they pull from PlayStation.

To spend 70 billion on them and have no strong exclusives is a huge miss. No immediate returns.

With Zenimax, their games benefited from being multiplatform, but they also took a long time to make. Elders Scrolls is going to be under a microscope now after the failures of Fallout and Starfield, but even then we're probably a minimum 4 years out from that game coming out.

Doom and Wolfenstein? These don't push consoles... they never did.

Possibly the two worst buys they could have made at this scale. Even Ubi Soft would have made more of a direct impact.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Outside of CoD ABK doesn't really have hit games on consoles, live service games aside, that I'd be surprised if they pull from PlayStation.

To spend 70 billion on them and have no strong exclusives is a huge miss. No immediate returns.

With Zenimax, their games benefited from being multiplatform, but they also took a long time to make. Elders Scrolls is going to be under a microscope now after the failures of Fallout and Starfield, but even then we're probably a minimum 4 years out from that game coming out.

Doom and Wolfenstein? These don't push consoles... they never did.

Possibly the two worst buys they could have made at this scale. Even Ubi Soft would have made more of a direct impact.
I have engaged in a few threads about Xbox state around E3 this year so I do feel a lot like you about the problems they are facing. But this is a little too much. Zenimax basically saved them from having nothing for quite a few years. Without it they would have been even more in deep shit. As for ABK, I was and still am against it. But for their ambitions and as long as they do not loose money on it, I don't see the problem form their POV. It was a golden opportunity. If they had done this right they would have been finishing that acquisition a long time ago. And with less concessions than they had to do. It is the rest of their strategy that is not working well enough.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
PS plus is shit value. All games are older and less interesting. Gamepass has a lot of that too, but they have a lot of new games that are worth playing. I currently have both services and barely use the PS one.
To quote another poster from this thread:
You might like it better, but that is not objective.

Prices 'are' objective though. I have both subs, and I paid noticeably less for GPU thanks to gold promos - but in the end I barely use it, so it evens out in terms of 'value'. But nonetheless - I can't argue that I got it for cheap.

I have engaged in a few threads about Xbox state around E3 this year so I do feel a lot like you about the problems they are facing. But this is a little too much. Zenimax basically saved them from having nothing for quite a few years. Without it they would have been even more in deep shit. As for ABK, I was and still am against it. But for their ambitions and as long as they do not loose money on it, I don't see the problem form their POV. It was a golden opportunity. If they had done this right they would have been finishing that acquisition a long time ago. And with less concessions than they had to do. It is the rest of their strategy that is not working well enough.

Name a single zenimax game that "saved" them. Nothing they've released has in any way shifted the needle.

They will lose money on the ABK deal. That's a guarantee.

SteadyEvo

I believe she was put in a position so they can get rid of her. Like really, what could she do to change anything?!?
See what makes a great console and do that.

I dunno why but I always gravitate towards the least popular console each gen. Dreamcast. OG Xbox. N64. WiiU. GameCube. XB1. Series X. I can’t help it. I love an underdog.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The PS5 controller is not better. You might like it better, but that is not objective. The Xbox controller has a better layout
You might like it better, but that is not objective.

and allows for quick swap batteries/packs which means people can game without worrying about charge.
No, they just have to worry about having spare batteries instead. How is that in anyway different/better to just plugging in to a wall outlet or your console?
lly can't believe you can just cite raw numbers and act like it is a better value to gamers. Gamers usually want new games, not a dozen PS1 games or whatever. This is so ridiculously biased it isn't even funny.
People tend to want good games in my experience.

Top Bottom