• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A PlayStation home console (PS5) sells 2 million in a single year (9 months so far) in Japan for first time since 2005

zedinen

It only took 9 months

Famitsu: Week 39, 2023

Week 39 PS5

YTD PS5 2,031,594

Last YTD PS5 731,868

LTD PS5 4,408,983

M9scucN.jpg

wUpUG4e.jpg

Sony Group CEO: " PS5 is on track to become SIE´s most successful console yet. I´m immensely grateful to Jim"

cmAVHqu.jpg

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
The nonsense that was read years ago that the Playstation brand was dead in Japan, 2 million in 9 months are PS2 level figures.
Often times, especially with PlayStation, online talk is far from what reality has to say about it. And yet, people continue to doubt this highly successful brand (the most, depending on what metric). It is either them or Nintendo and I'm fine conceding to either one. It simply doesn't get bigger than those brands. :)

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
The JIM RYAN ERA BAYYY BAYYY,

And people will go "oh well look her was fired, he didnt do his due diligence, he was bad for playstation"

The playstation 5 has done remarkably well regardless of a lack of more titles this year, spiderman will shoot its numbers to the stratosphere.

All the xbox fanboys can laugh Jim is gone, but if I were ya'll Id be taken a back because this was JIM RYANS ERA, what happens when they being someone in even better, xbox about to become a third party developer lol

MarkMe2525

Dang, PS5 hanging around PS2 numbers. Very impressive.

All the xbox fanboys can laugh Jim is gone, but if I were ya'll Id be taken a back because this was JIM RYANS ERA, what happens when they being someone in even better, xbox about to become a third party developer lol
I mean, yeah Jim was a great executive, but this is not new territory for PlayStation. Sony has won the hardcore gaming market every generation it has existed in. Seems weird to give the majority of the credit for PS5's success to the guy.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Often times, especially with PlayStation, online talk is far from what reality has to say about it. And yet, people continue to doubt this highly successful brand (the most, depending on what metric). It is either them or Nintendo and I'm fine conceding to either one. But, it doesn't get bigger than Nintendo and PlayStation. :)
That's because of the Xbox echo-chamber and 'real gamers' trying to gain e-credibility by trying to be neutral.

At some point, they became delusional. Forums are just a very tiny portion of the gaming audience.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Pretty amazing and not really a surprise but good to see. And they are still trying to strengthen their games over there as well. You got to give credit where credit is due as it seems to be working worldwide thanks to their management and portfolio of games.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
That's because of the Xbox echo-chamber and 'real gamers' trying to gain e-credibility by trying to be neutral.

At some point, they became delusional. Forums are just a very tiny portion of the gaming audience.
Oh, I know. Just wanted to highlight that it's often the echo-chambers that dominate LaLa Land while everyone else lives on Planet Reality.

Neofire

It only took 9 months

Famitsu: Week 39, 2023

Week 39 PS5

YTD PS5 2,031,594

Last YTD PS5 731,868

LTD PS5 4,408,983

M9scucN.jpg

wUpUG4e.jpg

Sony Group CEO: " PS5 is on track to become SIE´s most successful console yet. I´m immensely grateful to Jim"

cmAVHqu.jpg
Well deserved, great games, great system.

Honey Bunny

This is quite funny considering the tone of media create threads for a decade was that PS consoles are completely doomed there.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
That's good but Sony's business model requires extensive software sales..

Kerotan

Kerotan Kerotan I think you might be interested in reading about this milestone that the PS5 has achieved in Japan.
It's a great day for powerful traditional dedicated home consoles in Japan. Long live the king!

Currently dancing in celebration to this song. Twerking and shaking my bum while nodding my head and sucking in my lips incase anyone wants more details.

Last edited:

Ivan

I guess the sutuation in Japan is more of a cultural shift, I don't think traditional consoles will be big there again...

I hope I'm wrong.

Top Bottom