• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spain Sales, Week 27: PS5 16K; X|S 600

Zones

Meanwhile on Twitter when the topic of Xbox sales comes up…

nothing_to_see_here_naked_gun.gif

Solidus_T

Thought Switch would be way higher than PS5 but I guess not.
I want to see the YTD Switch sales. Tears of the Kingdom still topping sales and I bet the Switch is still higher overall this year

Woopah

Why make a Spain weekly sales thread that includes partial hardware data from Japan and the UK, but not the Spain software chart?

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch): ~5.500 /
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch):
FIFA 23 (PS4):
FIFA 23 Legacy Edition (Switch):
Final Fantasy XVI (PS5):
Nintendo Switch Sports (Switch):
Minecraft (Switch):
GTA V (PS4):
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Switch):
FIFA 23 (PS5):

This doesn’t look like Japan is smaller than UK or other Euro countries for PS5.
Japan will be the 2nd biggest market for PS5, just like it was than PS4.
Thought Switch would be way higher than PS5 but I guess not.
I want to see the YTD Switch sales. Tears of the Kingdom still topping sales and I bet the Switch is still higher overall this year
Switch YTD 175,400

The only place Switch will be above PS5 this year is Asia. Switch is in its 7th year while PS5 is in its 3rd year.

In Spain, Switch sold better than PS5 when TOTK came out but that affect has now worn off and PS5 has got a massive boost from price promotions. I wouldn't expect to see Switch above PS5 in Spain until October.

Solidus_T

Switch YTD 175,400

The only place Switch will be above PS5 this year is Asia. Switch is in its 7th year while PS5 is in its 3rd year.

In Spain, Switch sold better than PS5 when TOTK came out but that affect has now worn off and PS5 has got a massive boost from price promotions. I wouldn't expect to see Switch above PS5 in Spain until October.
Well damn. Those are still very good numbers for its 7th year and still close to the PS5. Good for the PS5 though!

Hardensoul

Why make a Spain weekly sales thread that includes partial hardware data from Japan and the UK, but not the Spain software chart?

FIFA 23 (PS4):
Final Fantasy XVI (PS5):
Minecraft (Switch):
GTA V (PS4):
FIFA 23 (PS5):

Switch YTD 175,400

My post is sarcasm. There are posters(not all) out there saying Japan region diminishing as reasons why PS sales are low. Contrary to history and proven wrong over time as reported numbers trickle out.

MrA

Banned
Well damn. Those are still very good numbers for its 7th year and still close to the PS5. Good for the PS5 though!
Its nuts that when we see playstation = Nintendo and ms together, its hasn't been for Nintendo with a comfortable second place , its just ms third has been pathetic

Nubulax

GAMEREACTOR

Spain, Week 27: HW
PS5 16,000
NSW 5,000
X|S 600
ROG Ally < 300
PS VR2 150

YTD Spain
PS5 ∼210K
X|S ∼24K

YTD UK
PS5 ∼341K
X|S ∼159K

YTD Japan
PS5 ∼1.52M
X|S ∼73K

YTD (SP+UK+JP)
PS5 ∼2.07 M
X|S ∼256K
Outside of the US and UK I feel like not that many people care about xbox or MS doesnt really put in the effort to make it a worldwide brand but then use it as a reason they need to acquire more so they can compete when the market has already spoken combined with their lack of effort.

Also I would LOVE to see a chart with PS4 in there since X/S came out too...because I swear in every Japan thread I see the PS4 outselling the X/S.... This latest report was a 4:1 sales split in favor of PS4

Last edited:
Outside of the US and UK I feel like not that many people care about xbox or MS doesnt really put in the effort to make it a worldwide brand but then use it as a reason they need to acquire more so they can compete when the market has already spoken combined with their lack of effort.

Also I would LOVE to see a chart with PS4 in there since X/S came out too...because I swear in every Japan thread I see the PS4 outselling the X/S.... This latest report was a 4:1 sales split in favor of PS4
You can’t really say Sony or Nintendo are making much effort either. Sony is mostly relying on their history of success in the region.

Sanepar

The parallel reality of the forums and twitter with what happens on the street is funny, PS5 sweeping Xbox in all markets (even selling twice as much in its strongest markets like the USA and UK).
Yeah if MS keep eating publishers PS will lack main content. So then 2 things can happen: people quit game or move to Xbox platform.

FIFA 23 (PS4):
Final Fantasy XVI (PS5):
Minecraft (Switch):
GTA V (PS4):
FIFA 23 (PS5):

Switch YTD 175,400

With the Slim and Spider-Man 2, that will be extremely unlikely.

Also:
US January 2023 to May 2023 Estimates:
PS5: 2.2m
Xbox Series: 1.15m

Woopah

With the Slim and Spider-Man 2, that will be extremely unlikely.

Also:
US January 2023 to May 2023 Estimates:
PS5: 2.2m
Xbox Series: 1.15m
Ah yes I forgot Spiderman and Mario Wonder come out on the same say. It probably won't happen then (unless Switch gets a price cut).

yurinka

YTD (SP+UK+JP)
PS5 ∼2.07 M
X|S ∼256K
And some people are worried that now with ABK MS would have a monopoly :messenger_tears_of_joy:

We have to remember that in the whole EU the split is 80%-20% according to MS. Outside USA and maybe Mexico (at least in the past Mexico was one of the most pro Xbox countries) it's being a blood bath.

Shooters are specially popular in the USA, and Sony is now betting in many 1st and 2nd party shooters. I assume that if one or two of them become super popular can end being a blood bath in NA too. I the ones developed by ex-Halo and Destiny devs (Marathon, Concord) have more numbers.

Last edited:

yazenov

This just puts things into perspective when only looking at the US and UK where MS sells a decent amount and only being outsold by Playstation by 2x or 3x.
It gives the elusion that MS is somewhat competetive.

However, outside of those countries the PS5 is outselling the Xbox by a factor of 10 times. It's total massacre. It's not even a competition. They aren't even in the same league.

Nubulax

You can’t really say Sony or Nintendo are making much effort either. Sony is mostly relying on their history of success in the region.
I was speaking to the worldwide market in total... not specifically these couple. Look at what Sony is doing in Asian markets and partnerships with devs and such
In terms of marketing Sony/PS do that WAYYYYYYYYYY more than MS.... I mean just look at some of the marketing for FF16, GOW or Horizon lately

If PS actually had got Starfield timed exclusive that shit would be everywhere soon. On buildings, busses, displays set up around the world, tons of tv and youtube spots.... etc etc

Last edited:

Nubulax

And some people are worried that now with ABK MS would have a monopoly :messenger_tears_of_joy:

We have to remember that in the whole EU the split is 80%-20% according to MS. Outside USA and maybe Mexico (at least in the past Mexico was one of the most pro Xbox countries) it's being a blood bath.

Shooters are specially popular in the USA, and Sony is now betting in many 1st and 2nd party shooters. I assume that if one or two of them become super popular can end being a blood bath in NA too. I the ones developed by ex-Halo and Destiny devs (Marathon, Concord) have more numbers.

Maybe not now but am I to seriously believe if they say acquired both Take 2 and another publisher of your choice they wouldnt have a GIGANTIC leg up for the next generation, especially if they took COD and GTA exclusive

They are only 1-2 more acquisitions away from owning so many legacy IPs its not even funny. Look at all the historic IPs just Zenimax and ABK bring in

Last edited:

Neo_game

It will take time but since COD is going to be on multiple platform for 10yrs ? It may not be have big impact. Anyways it is shocking what Microsoft has being doing for decades and people are still able to keep their jobs.

Hardensoul

Ah yes I forgot Spiderman and Mario Wonder come out on the same say. It probably won't happen then (unless Switch gets a price cut).
Switch hasn't shown it needed a price cut during Holidays for sales bump. In fact the opposite has happened, OLED being price higher and previous editions staying same. The bundles Switch had in holiday even went up in price. They even released theme edition with same price that had sales bumps, MK, AC and Zelda...as examples.

yurinka

It will take time but since COD is going to be on multiple platform for 10yrs ? It may not be have big impact. Anyways it is shocking what Microsoft has being doing for decades and people are still able to keep their jobs.
10 years would mean until close to PS7 release, and Xbox as console may not even exist in 10 years from now. Sony would have like a decade and a half to find replacements for CoD.

Maybe not now but am I to seriously believe if they say acquired both Take 2 and another publisher of your choice they wouldnt have a GIGANTIC leg up for the next generation, especially if they took COD and GTA exclusive

They are only 1-2 more acquisitions away from owning so many legacy IPs its not even funny. Look at all the historic IPs just Zenimax and ABK bring in
In terms of finantials to stop selling them in PS, and also almost from Xbox and PC because of "day one on GP" is really stupid specially considering how expensive they are to make. That would be a highly unprofitable move.

Specially considering there's already a big percentage of PS users who also have an Xbox or a gaming PC and that only around 1 out of 10 PS MAU buy the yearly CoD games and that CoD represents a very small amount of the money that Sony makes. To remove CoD or GTA from PS would hurt MS more than to Sony, remember that revenues from a game have a 70% (publisher) : 30 (platform holder) split.

I understand why MS would want to get ABK or Take 2: to get the revenue and profit they generate. But they make that when being multi. If you remove from there all the PS sales plus a good chunk of their PC and Xbox sales they would turn into a huge cost and loses every year.

Also, big publishers are in a great shape so they don't want to sell. Phil got lucky with ABK because their stocks were tanking due to the huge harassment controversies so Kotick had to do some move to stop it, and a couple days after the shit hit the fan Phil said his workers that he was to 'reevaluate their relationship with Activision' and a day or two later called Kotick to make him an acquisition offer after Kotick unsuccessfully tried to sell ABK to other big companies like Facebook.

I think that the next big acquisitions from MS won't be big console publishers, but instead some other big mobile gaming company. Someone maybe more focused in Asia, as could be Netmarble, Nexon or NC Soft.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Sure sounds like BS talk after what's been revealed in courts. This year seems to be last year of CoD exclusivity perks on PlayStation. CoD is around 1.5 billion revenue yearly for Sony. As a competitor that is so much information you can use to help MS or to hurt Sony. :pie_thinking:

yurinka

As a competitor, I wouldn't be signing a deal like that.
Sony has a lead over MS of 2:1 or more in most metrics regarding consoles and game subs. Also, only around 10% of the PS users play CoD and most of them wouldn't leave if somewhere in the future CoD would go console exclusive. That move wouldn't really hurt Sony so much, and would hurt MS growing the loses of their gaming business. Also, maybe in 10 years from now Xbox console maybe don't even exist.

I think the best move in Sony's side was to don't sign any deal with them and to oppose to the acquisition to see if some regulator killed it, as is the case of the CMA. In case MS would be able to complete the acquisition, if they have common sense they will continue releasing CoD on PS forever, as they do with Minecraft.

But this time, Sony wouldn't market it and would spend that marketing budget instead on promoting Sony published & owned shooters.

Sure sounds like BS talk after what's been revealed in courts. This year seems to be last year of CoD exclusivity perks on PlayStation. CoD is around 1.5 billion revenue yearly for Sony. As a competitor that is so much information you can use to help MS or to hurt Sony. :pie_thinking:
We have to remember that 1.5B is a small portion of the around 25B that PS makes per year (only counting SIE, not Lasengle, Aniplex, Crunchyroll games etc). And that Sony may be paying a good chunk to get the CoD marketing and small exclusivity perks.

Last edited:

Neo_game

Hopefullt get numbers from both. So we can see the differences. But as long as game is available I am not sure there will be much impact. People can continue to buy and play on PS5.

MrA

Banned
Sony has a lead over MS of 2:1 or more in most metrics regarding consoles and game subs. Also, only around 10% of the PS users play CoD and most of them wouldn't leave if somewhere in the future CoD would go console exclusive. That move wouldn't really hurt Sony so much, and would hurt MS growing the loses of their gaming business. Also, maybe in 10 years from now Xbox console maybe don't even exist
Whered you get those numbers, according to sonys poorly redacted docs 2/3 of us players have played call of duty, 6 million plays 70% of their time on call of duty and 1 million play nothing but call of duty, if the eurozone is similar ratios maybe 15 million players find call of duty is incredibly important and would probably go xbox if it were exclusive,
The other data I can find is 42% of cods 100 million monthly players is one playstation so call of duty is 10% and unimportant
Yes I agree it wouldn't hurt sony too badly but it would probably but I would say it would lower the playstation ceiling by probably 10 million units or so

Whered you get those numbers, according to sonys poorly redacted docs 2/3 of us players have played call of duty, 6 million plays 70% of their time on call of duty and 1 million play nothing but call of duty, if the eurozone is similar ratios maybe 15 million players find call of duty is incredibly important and would probably go xbox if it were exclusive,
The other data I can find is 42% of cods 100 million monthly players is one playstation so call of duty is 10% and unimportant
Yes I agree it wouldn't hurt sony too badly but it would probably but I would say it would lower the playstation ceiling by probably 10 million units or so

I think (and I"m hoping) by the time MS shut COD away from all those PS players, the series will be much less significant. I think the decline already started with the last game. And the rumour about the next one sounds like it'll do long term damage to the brand.

(I've always wanted COD to be a less dominant franchise, years before Acti-Blizz buyout).

Top Bottom