• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spain, Week 36: PS5 12K, Starfield 4K

zedinen

Gamereactor

Spain Week 36, 2023 (Sep 04 - Sep 10)

Hardware

PS5 ~12,000
NSW 3,300
X/S 1,200
PSVR2 100

Software (Retail)

Starfield (X/S) ~4,000 / New

NBA 2K24 (PS5) 2,200 / New

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (NSW)

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (NSW)

Fae Farm (NSW): 1,100 / New

GTA V (PS4)

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (NSW)

GTA V (PS5)

Minecraft (NSW)

Super Mario Odyssey (NSW)

Last edited:
10:1
XLFHzKj.gif

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You don't make lots of product that does not have demand...

/s That seems weird since Sony sorted out their demand issues.
Yeah I am in no way implying the sales numbers are due to supply just odd most times I am in a store the Xbox case is empty and there are tons of PS5s laying around (and some stores running $50 off on the PS5)

I know in my area of Indiana there are loads of PS5s in every store I go into and a few Series S but its hard to find a Series X, whats going on with their supply?

Maybe it's a demand problem? Could be that Microsoft knows the issues they have so they limit supply because the demand isn't there. This could cause some availability problems in certain places.

At least that's my guess.

Edit: Additional thought maybe retailers prefer to stock one system over the other due to the way its selling. Again another way that demand can influence availability..

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I know in my area of Indiana there are loads of PS5s in every store I go into and a few Series S but its hard to find a Series X, whats going on with their supply?
I think the answer is quite obvious ... Indiana is an MS fanboy, I am sure indiana got bought with socks or something like that.
More honest answer no idea, maybe they just missed a delivery it happens sometimes ... at least it does where I live, sometimes several deliveries (not xbox but other product I was hoping to buy)

Too expensive to produce for them so they can't afford (and they never intended to) to produce them. Expensive cooling + APU + motherboard. They thought people would buy XSS in droves but their strategy failed.

Last edited:

My guess is that Microsoft bet VERY big on XSS being the leading seller and they secured supply chain for some time to reflect that. It's not easy to switch on a dime when you've made specific commitments.

That being said, they also know there isn't HUGE demand for the XSX either.

Tsaki

Xbox throughout August was averaging about 700 consoles per week. The week previous to this (week of Starfield Not-Delayed-Access) they sold 1500 consoles. The week of Starfield Delayed-Access they sold 1200 units so the game 100% moved consoles, however miniscule. Interestingly, without taking into account these two weeks, Playstation to Xbox were averaging ~6.5:1 per week in August, but for these weeks the ratio increased to ~8.3:1 and 10:1, which is strange since you'd expect the opposite effect the biggest Xbox exclusive until Gears of War to have. Did Sony have discounts on these two weeks or did Baldur's Gate 3 became a console seller?
Also, although the PS5 version of NBA2K24 is in second place, the Xbox version didn't chart at all. Seems that a Series X revision without a disc drive is much more sensible for Microsoft than Sony (not that it's not sensible for them as well) and I'm surprised they haven't done it already.
On the same note, the PS4 version of NBA didn't chart but GTA on PS4 surpassed PS5.

Elios83

Xbox throughout August was averaging about 700 consoles per week. The week previous to this (week of Starfield Not-Delayed-Access) they sold 1500 consoles. The week of Starfield Delayed-Access they sold 1200 units so the game 100% moved consoles, however miniscule. Interestingly, without taking into account these two weeks, Playstation to Xbox were averaging ~6.5:1 per week in August, but for these weeks the ratio increased to ~8.3:1 and 10:1, which is strange since you'd expect the opposite effect the biggest Xbox exclusive until Gears of War to have. Did Sony have discounts on these two weeks or did Baldur's Gate 3 became a console seller?
Also, although the PS5 version of NBA2K24 is in second place, the Xbox version didn't chart at all. Seems that a Series X revision without a disc drive is much more sensible for Microsoft than Sony (not that it's not sensible for them as well) and I'm surprised they haven't done it already.
On the same note, the PS4 version of NBA didn't chart but GTA on PS4 surpassed PS5.

PS5 sales are pushed by discounts (100 euros off).
About Xbox it's clear that Starfield won't have any particular effect on sales except for a first week/month blip. The quality of the game is not there to justify buying a console for it plus the game is not a real exclusive. To push hardware you need true exclusives.

yazenov

Underwhelming results for Starfield and the Xbox hardware.

The disappointing reviews results after the unrealistic expectations, and the mid word of mouth hurt the game sales and it's impact on hardware sales.

What is the next big MS game after Starfield? It's gonna be a long wait I guess.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Maybe it's a demand problem? Could be that Microsoft knows the issues they have so they limit supply because the demand isn't there. This could cause some availability problems in certain places.

At least that's my guess.

Edit: Additional thought maybe retailers prefer to stock one system over the other due to the way its selling. Again another way that demand can influence availability..
Indiana may be an exception here as I have seen X being available in other places relatively easily.

Otherwise, it has to be a demand thing (and the subsequent retailer's decision) because Phil said months ago that they solved the shortage problem.

ProtoByte

Starfield would have sold 4 to 5 times more on PS5. Hope the exclusivity was worth it
It was totally worth it to Microsoft. The game got a lot more hype than it would if it weren't exclusive, and they got to put it on Gamepass.

Making money isn't the goal for them right now.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah I am in no way implying the sales numbers are due to supply just odd most times I am in a store the Xbox case is empty and there are tons of PS5s laying around (and some stores running $50 off on the PS5)

Sony is literally flooding the market in anticipation of the impact of Spider-man 2 + Black Friday. People shitting on Jim Ryan all the time, but the guy is a ruthless businessman. The gamer-wannabe Phil said that good games don't sell consoles, how can he pretend to be gamer and fools still trust him?

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
For reference, FF16 sold 29,000 units in its launch week in Spain.

Note: The intention is not to put 2 games against each other. FF16 is also a current-gen-only exclusive (although not on PC), and one of the few such games for which we have launch data in Spain, and we also have its week 1 worldwide sales, i.e., 3 million copies. This can give us some idea of Starfield's performance and sales data, which I don't think Microsoft will ever share.

Mowcno

Tried to look at older Bethesda RPGs. All I could find is the dreaded Fallout 76 sold 8k FW on PS4 in Spain.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Starfield did amazingly well but caused no Xbox bump. Very interesting.
I wouldn't say Starfield sold well. 4,000 units per week in Spain is below par.

What's more interesting is the number of Xbox consoles sold. It actually sold more than this (1,200) after the Xbox June Showcase for 2 weeks consecutively (1,800 and 1,600) than what it sold after the actual game release (1,200).

Killjoy-NL

The disappointing reviews results after the unrealistic expectations, and the mid word of mouth hurt the game sales and it's impact on hardware sales.

What is the next big MS game after Starfield? It's gonna be a long wait I guess.
Isn't their next major title Hellblade 2?

I loved Hellblade as it was an amazing game, but Ninja Theory isn’t a studio that releases system-sellers (Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, DMC, Hellblade).
Hellblade 2 will no doubt be a great game, but it’s highly unlikely that it going to have the impact xbox fanboys have been claiming since it was announced.

We'll see the same minor bump in sales with every Xbox flagship title as we do now.

I'm not so sure that you can attribute a rise in console sold in the first week of September to Starfield. I'm not too sure about Spain, but if it anything similar to Italy, thefirst weeks of August are always lower for traditional console because a good part of the population is ihaving their summer holidays far for home and often even the electonic chains are closed for the same motive. So the last days of august, first weeks of September tend to naturally see an increase in the hardware sales.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It was totally worth it to Microsoft. The game got a lot more hype than it would if it weren't exclusive, and they got to put it on Gamepass.

Making money isn't the goal for them right now.
Yeah, because if MS didnt buy Bethesda Sony was gonna make this a timed exclusive. Probably 1 year. That MS didnt wanna spend money on/try to outbid Sony for exclusivity ....instead decided to just acquire the entire company.

So it was totally worth it for MS. Bethesda? That's debatable. Especially if it was still multi platform.

But hey, with that 2 trillion dollar parent company I guess Bethesda dont need to worry about returns on investments anymore.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

People can't get enough of this next gen marvel.

I really don't understand why anyone is defending this shit. Like, one, it's absurd jank for a flagship title that is meant to compete with Sony blockbusters, and second, it simply isn't what Microsoft needs for it to be - a massive leap forward in Xbox perception.

These numbers from Spain are the latest piece of evidence. Maybe, maybe the game has very long legs, but the environment into which it's releasing (Baldur's Gate, Spider-Man, a resurgent No Man's Sky, here comes COD again) makes it fairly likely it will sort of fade away.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

Xbox throughout August was averaging about 700 consoles per week. The week previous to this (week of Starfield Not-Delayed-Access) they sold 1500 consoles. The week of Starfield Delayed-Access they sold 1200 units so the game 100% moved consoles, however miniscule.
So one could say that Starfield about doubled the Xbox sales? :pie_eyeroll:
It is just a question how you report such numbers...

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
So one could say that Starfield about doubled the Xbox sales? :pie_eyeroll:
It is just a question how you report such numbers...
Its definitely helping the xsx but far too little far too late , totally possible the xsx will be down more than the switch yoy % despite being 3.5 years newer and with less distance to fall
With the mere modest uptick in the UK, if starfield doesn't deliver a win in the US, xsx is already in ww decline, probably going to flatline before the switch unless ms has something huge up there sleeves but I doubt it at this point

Its definitely helping the xsx but far too little far too late , totally possible the xsx will be down more than the switch yoy % despite being 3.5 years newer and with less distance to fall
With the mere modest uptick in the UK, if starfield doesn't deliver a win in the US, xsx is already in ww decline, probably going to flatline before the switch unless ms has something huge up there sleeves but I doubt it at this point

I think this is the reality that is dawning on people slowly but surely.

Every piece of actual sales data that we've received has been a bad result for Microsoft as it relates to XSX and Starfield.

Minimal impact on sales in the UK and Spain. Baldur's Gate has already jumped ahead in sales on Steam, despite having been released much earlier.

There is no way we're seeing any substantial shift in sales over time with the XS. The momentum on Starfield seems to have completely halted with the lower reviews on steam and metacritic.

We're going to see a very difficult fall and winter for Xbox and with FF7R2 in February, that's likely to continue.

At this point, there's no moving the needle, unless Microsoft comes out with a completely innovative game that changes gaming like a Fortnite, Roblox, or a Minecraft. The problem remains their PC day 1 strategy and their gamepass strategy.

Either those strategies will be abandoned or this very well might be the last Xbox console generation.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Forza Motorsport releases in less than a month.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think this is the reality that is dawning on people slowly but surely.

Every piece of actual sales data that we've received has been a bad result for Microsoft as it relates to XSX and Starfield.

Minimal impact on sales in the UK and Spain. Baldur's Gate has already jumped ahead in sales on Steam, despite having been released much earlier.

There is no way we're seeing any substantial shift in sales over time with the XS. The momentum on Starfield seems to have completely halted with the lower reviews on steam and metacritic.

We're going to see a very difficult fall and winter for Xbox and with FF7R2 in February, that's likely to continue.

At this point, there's no moving the needle, unless Microsoft comes out with a completely innovative game that changes gaming like a Fortnite, Roblox, or a Minecraft. The problem remains their PC day 1 strategy and their gamepass strategy.

Either those strategies will be abandoned or this very well might be the last Xbox console generation.
Meanwhile, Xbox media:

vBXxHXB.jpg

Meanwhile, Xbox media:

vBXxHXB.jpg

These people would be shilling the Dreamcast up until the day Sega announced they were done with hardware. There were people out there who ignored the fact that the Dreamcast was being outsold by the PS1 after the PS2 launched, even when the Dreamcast was being sold for less than the PS1.

They're either paid shills or simply delusional.

Here are things that are very likely to happen:

1. Starfield will not be the best-selling game of September in the US
2. The XS will not be the best-selling console of September in the US
3. Starfield will drop precipitously on the charts in October in the US
4. PS5 will outsell XS by at least 2:1 in November in the US
5. That ratio will probably be consistent through the holiday season and into the new year

All this without there really being a defining release for PS5 in September. Simply on the strength of NBA 2K24, Mortal Kombat 1, Madden 24, Baldur's Gate 3, and EA Sports FC 24.

All games that are available on other systems.

What does this tell us? The PS5 is simply the console that has the most mindshare and is the desired place to play for new consumers. The September report is going to be an absolute disaster for Microsoft, but the October report will be even worse.

Last edited:
Top Bottom