• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Week 29, 2023 (Jul 10 - Jul 16)

drganon

pretty funny to say considering you threw a tantrum when I called the ps5 a wasteful tv-tethered dinosaur and that sony broke the traditional console mode by making wasteful power-hungry hardware when they couldn't compete with real video game companies and had to just spend their way into their current position.

dumb-goat.gif

Ozzie666

Japan doesn't like the linear, cut scene heavy, action combat FF16? Color me shocked. Word of mouth can't be helping this title either. Extremely flawed. Put some turn-based combat back in, airship and open world map.

Pikman 4 is why gaming need good games that don't chase graphics. Thank God for games like this. I hope it does really well.

PS5 is consistent.

Last edited:
It'll be the biggest waste of money of ALL TIME!
Plenty of software to play on PS4 still. I think the only notable game not being playable there is FF16. But the big games and almost all Sony exclusives are playable (or will be) on PS4: Hogwart legacy, Elden Ring, the upcoming Armored core 6 and obviously all the COD, Fortnite games etc.

And that console is still cheaper than PS5 (and the games are dirty cheap). If you want to play cheap games on a cheap console, PS4 is the way to go.

Last edited:
Switchland going strong. People complaining or mocking for Pikmin 4 outselling Final Fantasy XVI, you need to understand that Japan is a portable/mobile gaming centered market for more than 10+ years, with the exception of Nintendo consoles.

All of this. Also really important detail people ought to know when trying to compare is that the PS5 install base in Japan is tiny compared to Switch. So there wasn’t a whole lot of people to sell FF XVI to

This is true. If they did one final revision with another price cut it and sufficient stock throughout COVID it would have sold a lot.

The ps2 had this luxury the ps4 did not.

There’s no point in comparing PS2 and PS5 in sales, it’s just not even remotely comparable really in any way. PS5 is so much more expensive, and a lot of people bought PS2s as a DVD player, not to mention it was the most inexpensive console throughout most of that generation, and had a one year head start vs the other two consoles.

Especially in Japan, where the console market used to be absolutely enormous, and now it’s essentially a handheld/mobile market with a very small portion being home console (non-Switch).

Last edited:

Kerotan

There’s no point in comparing PS2 and PS5 in sales, it’s just not even remotely comparable really in any way. PS5 is so much more expensive, and a lot of people bought PS2s as a DVD player, not to mention it was the most inexpensive console throughout most of that generation, and had a one year head start vs the other two consoles.

Especially in Japan, where the console market used to be absolutely enormous, and now it’s essentially a handheld/mobile market with a very small portion being home console (non-Switch).
I'm comparing late gen sales of the ps2 and the ps4. By then nobody was buying the ps2 as a dvd player so that's irrelevant.

I could have compared ps3 to ps4 either. It at least got that late gen flurry with a super slim and final price cuts.

Sony with the ps4 opted to make less units towards the end but sell them for a higher profit margin.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Plenty of software to play on PS4 still. I think the only notable game not being playable there is FF16. But the big games and almost all Sony exclusives are playable (or will be) on PS4: Hogwart legacy, Elden Ring, the upcoming Armored core 6 and obviously all the COD, Fortnite games etc.

And that console is still cheaper than PS5 (and the games are dirty cheap). If you want to play cheap games on a cheap console, PS4 is the way to go.

But Sony is smart not to focus on gamers that want to game at the cheapest price possible. Nothing shows us that focusing on the cheapest price is the correct way to go at this point. Gamers don't mind spending money. Microsoft is learning that the hard way.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.

It's been that way in Japan since the DS. The reason why is graphics for a handheld system reached "good enough" levels. So it's probably not gonna change anymore. And that might happen in the rest of the world eventually.

The only way I could see Sony getting some traction in Japan is through absolutely insane must-have software. It's the only way.

I'm comparing late gen sales of the ps2 and the ps4. By then nobody was buying the ps2 as a dvd player so that's irrelevant.

I could have compared ps3 to ps4 either. It at least got that late gen flurry with a super slim and final price cuts.

Sony with the ps4 opted to make less units towards the end but sell them for a higher profit margin.

Definitely not irrelevant. Happened literally all the time. At the time PS2 launched and was still new, DVDs were just starting to become the standard medium and replace VHS cassettes. At that time, dedicated DVD players were still very expensive. Being able to buy an affordable DVD player that also played games was a huge competitive advantage.

Last edited:

Celine

People complaining or mocking for Pikmin 4 outselling Final Fantasy XVI, you need to understand that Japan is a portable/mobile gaming centered market for more than 10+ years, with the exception of Nintendo consoles.
In fact Japan is so portable gaming centered that an edgy Pikmin wannabe on PlayStation Vita sold in total less than 30K.
lkK42fa.jpg

Last edited:
In fact Japan is so portable gaming centered that an edgy Pikmin wannabe on PlayStation Vita sold in total less than 30K.
lkK42fa.jpg

The difference in investing for the long haul by building a new IP and not giving up after the first one is only a modest success. Nintendo’s had a lot of success with that approach. Just look at how huge Luigi’s Mansion has gotten. It’s pretty wild.

Woopah

Switchland going strong. People complaining or mocking for Pikmin 4 outselling Final Fantasy XVI, you need to understand that Japan is a portable/mobile gaming centered market for more than 10+ years, with the exception of Nintendo consoles.
Portable gaming is very popular in Japan, but home console gaming is very popular too.

It's not the TV which is holding FFXVI back.

Kerotan

Definitely not irrelevant. Happened literally all the time. At the time PS2 launched and was still new, DVDs were just starting to become the standard medium and replace VHS cassettes. At that time, dedicated DVD players were still very expensive. Being able to buy an affordable DVD player that also played games was a huge competitive advantage.
Yes but you could say the same about a cheap ps3 being able to buy a cheap console and blu Ray player gave it a competitive advantage. Less so for ps4 but you could still say it.

Impotaku

LOL at final fantasy barely hanging in the top ten after only a couple of weeks it's got the legs of a cripple. They need to consult nintendo on attaining those strong & long legs.
jYAGSGU.jpg

Last edited:

Woopah

LOL at final fantasy barely hanging in the top ten after only a couple of weeks it's got the legs of a cripple. They need to consult nintendo on attaining those strong & long legs.
That's just standard for the franchise/genre. Nintendo's JRPGs and/or character action games don't have great legs either.

Reactions: TLZ

nordique

I'm not convinced, tbh, other than that generic statement there's no further communication to reassure fans that their Switch library will indeed carry over onto the next-gen Nintendo hardware. Hope I'm wrong here, but I just don't trust Nintendo's coyness on this, especially if the rumor mill is right and Switch 2 is releasing early next year. MVG did a interesting opinion piece here on the technical hurdles that Nintendo might be dealing with this in order to provide BC.

Agreed it’s interesting and he knows his stuff

But I imagine nvidia will help with some solution
I think with the success the switch had it would be crazy for Nintendo to start from square 1 again

Maori

Neo Member
Yeah go back to 2002 in see how ffx sold 2.7 mill while Pikmin only sold ~ 450k ish..

Pikmin is on pace to sell 1.5 mill in Japan(inc digital) while Ff16 is struggling to break 700k..

The drop off in FF sales are more indicative of a franchise fatigue than a "Pikmin is on a portable console"

Last edited:
Top Bottom