• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-new PlayStation Plus launches in June with three flexible membership options

Business is about anticipating and responding to changing conditions and trends.

Just because people think Sony's strategy might be lacking, doesn't make them trolls or Xbox fanboys.

Yeah and Sony exactly how to do that. Which is why they have been so successful. Why you think they going after live service games? They are changing and shifting to match the trends. We can have our opinions but ultimately they mean nothing. Sony are in the business and know much more than any of us possibly can.

Tg89

I'll have to see the list of game but I can't imagine this will be worth for me. If my only platform was PS5, maybe. But I already play most games on PC if available and having gamepass on pc will make so much of this offering redundant.

Brock2621

I’ll prob just pay the $119 once a year and get it over with like Disney+ now that I just cancelled my $20/mo Netflix sub. I’ll try it for a year and scale back if I never use it

Swift_Star

Banned
Dude, I'd probably be a weird obsessive loser if I'd lost my 30 year old virginity to a third hand fleshlight.

No need to antagonize the lad.
Way to low the bar of the conversation, buddy, don't project your feelings and problems on me with deranged assertions. Disgusting.

reksveks

Goodman says there is huge growth opportunity for PlayStation. PS Now's current audience is around 5% of Sony's console install base, he says, whereas Game Pass has appealed to over 40% of the Xbox fanbase.

"40% of their install base is the benchmark [for PS Plus Extra or Premium]," he explains. "But even if they get up to 20%, or even 15%, I would make the argument that that would be really successful. Maybe not by comparison, but certainly from a revenue perspective."

Trying to do the ARPU/Revenue change.

From someone who's gaming on xbox atm with Gamepass.... The mid tier seems somewhat worth it.... But that high end tier is terrible. Paying extra to steam PS3games.... What were they thinking.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Just so dumb.

You announce this shit two months early? Really? No catalog announced? Fuck of Sony, I'm this close to taking my money elsewhere. Ok so you're telling me I will be able to spend more money, COOL

Last edited:

graywolf323

From someone who's gaming on xbox atm with Gamepass.... The mid tier seems somewhat worth it.... But that high end tier is terrible. Paying extra to steam PS3games.... What were they thinking.
Sony probably saw how successful Nintendo has been getting people to pay more to stream N64 & Genesis games

Nothing to see here. Didn’t want PS Now, don’t want this. It’s actually got me thinking do I even need PS+ as I don’t play online…

Sony is in a rut IMO. They’re doing well now, but if they are too scared or feel too comfortable to change and innovate and just rely on their current popularity it won’t be too long before they find out the market is value driven and most people are fickle.

This isn’t “concern” btw which seems to be the fanboys attack of choice on anything that doesn’t love everything.

Even the biggest Sony fans are having to fight to sound excited about this crap. It’s not offensively bad or anything, just boring and predictable. I was hoping for competition, to drive Microsoft to fight even harder - this shit isn’t that. It’s bog standard and not very good generic sales and marketing.

Belthazar

It's expensive for what it is and more expensive than Gamepass.

Pay it monthly and you're looking at a damn straight rip off.

Gamepass Ultimate, the one that also includes Gold, is $180 yearly tho, as it doesn't offer a yearly option on their store. It's literally $60 cheaper than Gamepass Ultimate.

Also, why would you pay it monthly when it offers you an annual option? Microsoft should follow suit and offer a discounted yearly option tbh.

ethomaz

Banned
Sure, of course.

I wasn’t expecting anything too significant today.

I just think Sony games cost too much. As I say, I fully understand the financial reality of developing AAA software, but this contrast with Gamepass is going to grow ever more apparent. I think there’s only so much mileage Sony will get out of their model.

Perhaps their idea will be to heavily discount after a few weeks.
I my opinion MS is pushing for market share.... they are spending a lot of money for that... if it will work or not we will only see on future.
But when they stop that marketing push we will see how day one, or the price of their services, or quality of titles, etc will stabilize.

Last edited:

Inviusx

I know ps3 games are streamed, but are we sure ps1, ps2, and psp games aren't? If they are local, that's great.

Pretty sure PS1/PS2 software emulation works fine, local PS3 emulation seems impossible on these machines which is why it's only offered via streaming.

Last edited:
Will stick with tier 1 until I see the catalog. Still... I feel it's a bad move to make the ps classics being locked on the last tier. Show me your damn games Jimbo.

begotten

At 340 PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP games that is only a little over 2% of the library. The odds that the service will have the specific game you are looking for is very low.

Doubt it. They will handpick and mostly select what people know and want with the initial 340. You really trying to play up the "2% of library" point.

You think it's a bad thing we can't stream American Idol or MTV Celebrity Deathmatch, and bad that they're being left out of that 2%?

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Yeah and Sony exactly how to do that. Which is why they have been so successful. Why you think they going after live service games? They are changing and shifting to match the trends. We can have our opinions but ultimately they mean nothing. Sony are in the business and know much more than any of us possibly can.

Erm, ok.

Companies in business do sometimes make errors. And not even deliberately!

Umbasaborne

Banned
Bummer, i dont get why their bc offerings cant be as robust as microsofts. Hopefully the selection of ps1 and 2 games will be vast to make up for the lack of ps3 downloads

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
This is about as lame as I expected it to be

Still have my PSX, PS2, 2X PS3's, Had PS4 but sold it for lack of interest, PSP and Vita

Zero Interest unless I can stream from PC without a console never got to play that FOTNS Lost Paradise game (which never came to PC for some stupid reason)

How could you know it's disappointing if there isn't a list of games released yet? People are truly childish here. I'm waiting for the list - then I will judge if it's worth it. I hope that they will offer some great price for gamers updating from essential tier.

Swift_Star

Banned
Haha fuck off you bellend.
Night Trying GIF

TrebleShot

That is what I said... the exceptions.
Look at PS+ and PSNow releases and list the day one launches.

You will probably count in one hand.
That is not their current operating model and as I posted previously in the thread they are moving to include more third party games, this is simply showing the proof they are making moves to do this.

T-Cake

Doesn't it make financial sense to buy a 12-month sub to PlayStation Now and let Sony convert it over to PS+ Premium? You'll essentially be saving some dough?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
How could you know it's disappointing if there isn't a list of games released yet? People are truly childish here. I'm waiting for the list - then I will judge if it's worth it. I hope that they will offer some great price for gamers updating from essential tier.

Because consoles only have two modes:

- Excitement mode: pure adulation and joy in full 4k
- Disappointment mode: disgust and disdain in 1080p

Last edited:

Salz01

Seems I won’t be changing anything. I probably have all the good games already. Streaming old games seems kind of lame. Like the game trials, but not going to pay extra for it.

Ozriel

M$FT
Death Stranding
God Of War
Marvel's Spider-Man (+ Miles Morales)
Mortal Kombat 11
Returnal

Some of these game were in the PS Plus collection. Most have already been played by PlayStation fans.

You don’t expect them to change their stance on day one launches for their major AAA titles, but I'm surprised Sony couldn’t be arsed to launch MLB into this service…especially when it’s heavily monetized with MTX.

Loxus

Straight out of jimbo's mouth.

Well Jim is right, PS1-2 games look bad. Especially when compared to PS4-5 games.

And I agree with him.
BC for PS1-3 is highly requested, but is actually not going to be used much when people start playing them and realize how bad they look.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That is not their current operating model and as I posted previously in the thread they are moving to include more third party games, this is simply showing the proof they are making moves to do this.
Moving? What proof? One game? They already did that with others games in the past but it was never a moving trend... it was about an indie they wanted to promote/help just like well that link you posted.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Death Stranding
God Of War
Marvel's Spider-Man (+ Miles Morales)
Mortal Kombat 11
Returnal

Some of these game were in the PS Plus collection. Most have already been played by PlayStation fans.

You don’t expect them to change their stance on day one launches for their major AAA titles, but I'm surprised Sony couldn’t be arsed to launch MLB into this service…especially when it’s heavily monetized with MTX.
only God of War was, MKX was but not MK11 and someone can correct me if I'm wrong but Spider-Man & Death Stranding definitely weren't

Top Bottom