• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-new PlayStation Plus launches in June with three flexible membership options

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
This is an excellent low-effort rebranding and structuring of SONY services. I'm not getting anything beyond the base membership for MP, but the higher end options are pretty attractive price wise. Perhaps not a decade or so ago (I forget when PS Now came out), but streaming prices and premium add-ons continue to increase to the point where 18 bucks is a "good deal."

Oh.

You’re that cringey Sony Warrior that was having a tantrum about HZD.

Time to pop your boring drivel on ignore.

I mean. . .they aren't wrong. What is in the tweet is LITERALLY what has been spoiled all across this forum for months now.

Mephisto40

So my next question is, if you can download the ps1 and ps2 games and play them on your ps5, what exactly is stopping them pushing an update that allows you to play games from these systems from the original discs natively?

skit_data

I like it!
I’ll take the Premium subscription.

At least now we know why sales of PS5s have been slower, they obviously use a lot of the produced units for streaming PS5-games.

jorgejjvr

Where gamepass wins is day 1 games, and very new/recent games. Sony still wants me to pay more on their sub, but also $70 on their new games

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So my next question is, if you can download the ps1 and ps2 games and play them on your ps5, what exactly is stopping them pushing an update that allows you to play games from these systems from the original discs natively?

Money.

Edit: Actually, I'm pretty sure the PS5 is technically incapable of reading CDs (it doesn't have the laser for it), same as PS4. DVDs it can read though. But that rules out PS1 and quite a few PS2 games.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
"No day one games!"

Are you people fucking high? Miles Morales had sold 6.5 million copies by Feb '21 and went on to be the 6th best selling game of the year (edit: in the US). By contrast, the best selling Xbox One exclusive ever was Halo 5 at an estimated 6.6 life time.

Sony doing day one releases would be almost as retarded as Nintendo doing it. There's a reason it's Microsoft's strategy alone, and it's a good strategy, but only for them.

Last edited:

Because this is a completely different form of backwards compatability

Ogbert

I mean it is not like they changed the price.
It still the same as you pay today for PS+ or PS+ plus PSNow.
Sure, of course.

I wasn’t expecting anything too significant today.

I just think Sony games cost too much. As I say, I fully understand the financial reality of developing AAA software, but this contrast with Gamepass is going to grow ever more apparent. I think there’s only so much mileage Sony will get out of their model.

Perhaps their idea will be to heavily discount after a few weeks.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

They would rather resell the games to you than let you use the discs.

Schmick

Cant we already use PS Now on PC?
Yes, but its streaming only. I use it as my as a way to play PS games as I don't have a PlayStation. Its worked very well for me.

However, I don't see how the service for PC is affected by this. I pay £8.99 a month for it. If I now need to subscribe to PlayStation Plus Premium at £13.49 just to continue what I'm doing then I'll be pissed.

Fredrik

Disappointing.
But I’ll still try it because it’ll be the cheapest way for me to play Returnal and Spidey. After that, we’ll see, depends on the extra lineup.

schaft0620

At 340 PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP games that is only a little over 2% of the library. The odds that the service will have the specific game you are looking for is very low.

Topher

Gold Member
A bit early to make judgements on these additional tiers without seeing a list of available games. I'm glad the "essential" tier is there without a price hike. Making PS Now an add on to PS+ makes more sense, but I think it would have been better to just have one additional tier at $99 that included streaming.

Overall, nothing really to get excited about, but nothing controversial either.

Going to need to see that list of ps4/ps5 games jimbo before i upgrade. You have 1500 games available on your platform, mix up the selection please. I want to see Gravity Rush 2 and fucking Cloudpunk on your service. Dont be mediocre please.

CeeJay

I can think of one word about your comment right now, can you guess what it is?
No idea but you are the one who said that it was easy to guess the exact 3 tier structure, the exact naming and also get the features and pricing near enough spot on so don't try and turn the tables on me for calling you out on it. Just face it, Grubb had inside knowledge of it.

shoplifter

They would rather resell the games to you than let you use the discs.

They've done that already too, on PS3/PSP/Vita. Now they're wanting you to pay a recurring fee to be able to play them (maybe, if the games you already purchased are included). It's particularly galling at this point, considering that we now know there are no technical reasons they couldn't just give us access to the PS1/PS2/PSP titles we've already bought.

graywolf323

what I want to know is the upgrade path for existing PS+ subs and if PSNow is getting converted to the highest tier, what happens if you have both PS+ and Now already but the PS+ sub is good for longer?

th4tguy

I know ps3 games are streamed, but are we sure ps1, ps2, and psp games aren't? If they are local, that's great.

TrebleShot

Sony may not be putting its latest releases in, but there's still some popular PS5 titles in PS Plus Extra and Premium, including Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Returnal. But outside of its first-party games, Sony says "every major publisher" is present in the service, and conversations continue to go well.

"Whether it's indies, whether it's big games, or things that celebrate our heritage... all sorts of games," Ryan says. "We are going to have all of it, and hopefully a line-up that ticks all sorts of boxes."

From the Game Industry article.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...d-suffer-if-we-put-them-straight-into-ps-plus

JaksGhost

Going to need to see that list of ps4/ps5 games jimbo before i upgrade. You have 1500 games available on your platform, mix up the selection please. I want to see Gravity Rush 2 and fucking Cloudpunk on your service. Dont be mediocre please.
Gravity Rush 1 (Remastered) and Gravity Rush 2 are both available for streaming and downloading on PSNow and have been for quite some time.

ethomaz

Banned
Did you read the supporting article from GameIndustry?

Of course they will offer games day 1 from 3rd party, they already do on PS Plus.
Do your reading.

1st party will come eventually, this service is launching lads, takes time to build up. How did GP launch?
Except... Sony doesn't put 3rd party games day one on Plus unless it is some indie they are helping or promoting.

Inviusx

All I wanted was confirmation that the current PS Plus price/offering isn't changing, so that's fine with me. I couldn't give a shit about the other 2 tiers I already have way too much to play as it is.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's expensive for what it is and more expensive than Gamepass.

Pay it monthly and you're looking at a damn straight rip off.

It's only cheaper than Game Pass when you use $1 trials, Gold conversion, CDKeys, Brazilian VPN loopholes etc.

People should remember that MOST people are just going to be paying $15/m for Game Pass with Gold which as far as I can see has no annual option. PS+ Extra Annual at 2/3 of that cost with no day one games isn't bad value at all assuming you've not actually played most of the games on offer.

Shit, even $120/y is less for the added 340 legacy titles if that's your jam.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is this a real question after the past 2 years?

Straight out of jimbo's mouth.

"When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," said Ryan.

"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

No idea but you are the one who said that it was easy to guess the exact 3 tier structure, the exact naming and also get the features and pricing near enough spot on so don't try and turn the tables on me for calling you out on it. Just face it, Grubb had inside knowledge of it.

He got the features and prices wrong. Literally just got a good guess on the tier names, which come on, essential, extra and premium? Fucking yes that's a piss easy to guess structure.

He piggy backed off the Bloomberg article. He had no inside information here. Now hush little puppy

Last edited:

Shifty1897

PS3 streaming was always gonna happen.

I am surprised about the PSP, PS1, AND PS2 available for download quote. That makes it sounds like those are getting emulated. Unfortunately paying $120 a year for temporary access to games I've already bought, some multiple times, is kind of insulting. IMO this should be rolled into the second tier, there is no need for three tiers.

Top Bottom