• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC: Valhalla |OT| From Nordic runes to English ruins

Exentryk

mbeWKNl.jpg

wwCMp3X.jpg

cormack12

Gold Member
Damn that Fulke conclusion.....

I found the Alice Lidell mystery as well which was nice (alisa in wunderlandcire).

dorkimoe

I’m unable to do contracts because it refuses to connect to the uplay thing or whatever. Anyone else able to fix it?

bati

Some of the mini games in high level zones are godawful. Cairn stacking in anything above 160 (190+) is just instant alt+F4, and animus ones are extremely annoying to suffer through as well.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Some of the mini games in high level zones are godawful. Cairn stacking in anything above 160 (190+) is just instant alt+F4, and animus ones are extremely annoying to suffer through as well.

Speaking of minigames, I hate orlog.

I wanted to skip the whole thing but oh surprise you need to win a match for a certain important thing. Fuck.

scalman

those large dungeons are just amazing, i mean they so large feels like you became like lara croft there, but going even better.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I burned through the first 30 hours quickly and got bored. I played something else for a week and came back. I’m drawn back in again. Just got done doing a big storyline for Ivarr. Really well done.

scalman

some of those side missions that not even missions get you by surprise there... they make you laugh or sad even ... like boy with 3 friends...
fdQ5UQ2.jpg

Ghph0bJ.jpg

..imagine you have those 3 friends , you just badass for life
and i mean RDR2 has big part of my gaming time last year or so , but even RDR2 has nothing on that. and all other small details that you getting while just exploring .

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Lost 3 hours of progress yesterday. I think the game save was corrupted on the Series X. Might be a good thing as i might enjoy a break from the 50+ hours i've already put in.

Mossybrew

The game sure is in love with shields. So many of these gear chests just have dumb ol shields. Meanwhile in over 60 hours Ive found a grand total of two greatswords.

Last edited:

mhirano

Is anyone playing on oldgen Xbox One/OneS/OneX?
I was ready to buy it but then discovered about NASTY TEARING plaguing all the Xbox One versions.
The issue was not fixed as of patch 1.04 (see video).

WR0g2AN.png

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of minigames, I hate orlog.

I wanted to skip the whole thing but oh surprise you need to win a match for a certain important thing. Fuck.

Yeah, I haven’t touched it since the first match in Norway. Just too time consuming and not interesting. Definitely not Gwent.

Last edited by a moderator:

scalman

Yes just 2 great swords here as well even after almost 90 hrs exploring looting everything and 2 big axes and just 2 spares as well, byt i found lots armor as well , but its strange with armor its about 6 more types from your starting one , so 6 or 7 even and then to collect them in pairs of 5 its so hard and then upgrade everything, if i dont have still all those pairs after 90 hrs then when you change armor? NG+ maybe or smt.
Anyway now my 2 new fav weapons are spares, fully upgraded , when you come at those enemies with short weapons they just dont have a chance. But yh game just give you 2 every large weapon type, more small axes but whats the point in short weapons later in game?

WakeTheWolf

Realising that the female Eivor is the canon choice is a gut punch. Hell, my male Eivor keeps getting called 'her' and 'she' lmao. Playing the game further makes it obvious as to why but these developers are gutless. If you are going to force a female choice do it proudly and not like cowards hiding it behind marketing and PR.

Beautiful game though:
Ko9qsw2.jpg

Night.Ninja

Banned
What do I do after the soma quest? No new quests poped up I thought I had to get my camp to level 2 but that did nothing. I have contracts from the little dude but I'm sure they must be a main quests 🤷

scalman

What do I do after the soma quest? No new quests poped up I thought I had to get my camp to level 2 but that did nothing. I have contracts from the little dude but I'm sure they must be a main quests 🤷
camp ups level when you build new buildings for people, allways same up to lvl 6 i think. nothing changes there how your camp levels up.
with randvi you can pick new are that you will want to like clear , you can pick what you want but best is start from lowest levels and go up same time level up yourself power . you can change those areas when you like its not fixed, just go to randvi and change .

its nice how your char allways uses enemies weapons to finish him off, 2 hammers allways works well in head..boom
yQVPFft.jpg

bot back to some snow areas again .. aahh i missed snow
HnX1Cz7.jpg

snowww...its amazing
lXEfW83.jpg

imma fire and you get axe to head
yOsjqXF.jpg

scary stuff
TqELuNo.jpg

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Realising that the female Eivor is the canon choice is a gut punch. Hell, my male Eivor keeps getting called 'her' and 'she' lmao. Playing the game further makes it obvious as to why but these developers are gutless. If you are going to force a female choice do it proudly and not like cowards hiding it behind marketing and PR.

Eivor is a female name in Scandinavia. From what I've read Eivor has never been used for males. It's like making a game about an English medieval knight and calling both the male and female protagonist Susan. That would be ridiculous, but because the first name Eivor sounds masculine outside of Scandinavia Ubisoft thought they could get away with it. Or they didn't realize this until it was too late to change it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I've had my male Eivor get called a she or her a couple of times. Really sucks how sloppy that is. Also, it's weird at just how much female warrior "representation" is in this game. It's like 50% in some battles, which is just stupid and ridiculous.

scalman

that Vinland is nice place .. some change at least. nice fresh clothes, no weapons.
95hrs and 57% just did i think last upgrade to all raven armor. still need to loot more to upgrade weapons as well. i know i will be doing much more over 100hrs .. nice. its still interesting for me, and could be that not too much weapons loot just helps here.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I don't know what it is about Valhalla, but I'm not enjoying myself at all. I've platinumed both Origins and Odyssey, spent 100+ hours in both games and expected to enjoy Valhalla just as much. That's why I even got the Gold Edition. But for the past few hours I've been constantly tinkering with the HDR/brightness/contrast settings because I can't get the game looking right: it's either too washed out or too contrasted. (Which is ridiculous since HDR in PS5 games like Astro's Playroom and Sackboy's Adventures but also in Netflix is absolutely perfect). I don't like the main character at all, the beginning is far too slow, the combat system feels slow paced and cumbersome, the new skill tree system is a chore to use. And the screen tearing in 60fps is annoying as hell compared to Orgins and Odyssey which were perfecly locked to 30fps.

So far I'm rather disappointed by AC:V and it's killing my enthusiasm to keep playing and get out of Scandinavia.

Last edited:

scalman

that new separate area that you can visit is just mind blowing
kWYugSw.jpg

that new armor is just amazing too, gives you different vibes to all that

w1R2ZbT.jpg

ux2krXT.jpg

NhrQqKw.jpg

WPLkalA.jpg

hosKgku.png

Andodalf

Banned
Eivor is a female name in Scandinavia. From what I've read Eivor has never been used for males. It's like making a game about an English medieval knight and calling both the male and female protagonist Susan. That would be ridiculous, but because the first name Eivor sounds masculine outside of Scandinavia Ubisoft thought they could get away with it. Or they didn't realize this until it was too late to change it.

A Boy named Sue?!? :p

scalman

I am like 30 hours in and didnt realize there was multiple bows... why is their no quick switch for bows?
because you equip just one at time, same with any weapons i think. no switching between them. i never needed any other bow than very early bow, all because you need to choose which one you will upgrade as you cannot upgrade them all.

when you a viking but allways wanted to be that cool indian with cool leather clothes
uNIQ7hk.png

Last edited:

scalman

its starting...100hrs, 60%, 286 power lvl, still have 2 areas on main map to fully take to my side and then that magical place still left.

because you equip just one at time, same with any weapons i think. no switching between them. i never needed any other bow than very early bow, all because you need to choose which one you will upgrade as you cannot upgrade them all.

when you a viking but allways wanted to be that cool indian with cool leather clothes
uNIQ7hk.png
IdRqvuW.gif

MastAndo

Is there a preferred order to doing things to have the story be most cohesive? More specifically, I just unlocked
Vinland
, but have 3 remaining alliances to go, the ones with the highest power level requirements - these have become a bit of a slog, by the way. The stories involved are fine, but it all feels so checklisty looking at that map, if that makes sense. Anyway, should I go there as soon as I can, or at the end of the alliance map? Also, does it matter when I do the Asgard missions, story/lore-wise?

Kenpachii

Is there a preferred order to doing things to have the story be most cohesive? More specifically, I just unlocked
Vinland
, but have 3 remaining alliances to go, the ones with the highest power level requirements - these have become a bit of a slog, by the way. The stories involved are fine, but it all feels so checklisty looking at that map, if that makes sense. Anyway, should I go there as soon as I can, or at the end of the alliance map? Also, does it matter when I do the Asgard missions, story/lore-wise?

U can do that spoiler at any moment really there is no level assigned towards it when u get there u will understand it. to 100% it, it takes you about
3 hours if you are slow probably 2 hours if you are fast

About the god worlds, the idea is to do them in between however i did them in the same manner as i did the god worlds in origin and odyssey so basically at the end. I kinda liked it that way because u can go through it entirely. If you want to do that however i would heavily recommend to wait until the very end and do them all in one go. However u can do them in between for sure if you want however if you enter it at a to low level u will get steamrolled most likely by some encounters as they where pretty fucking hard "specifically one encounter" ( but then i played on hardest mode ).

So it's up to you tho.

Last edited:

scalman

All areas says what power lvl at least need to be to clear them, so choose that based on that though later yiu mostly will be much more powerfull then that still do lower lvl areas first and then do harder ones later.

I don't know what it is about Valhalla, but I'm not enjoying myself at all. I've platinumed both Origins and Odyssey, spent 100+ hours in both games and expected to enjoy Valhalla just as much. That's why I even got the Gold Edition. But for the past few hours I've been constantly tinkering with the HDR/brightness/contrast settings because I can't get the game looking right: it's either too washed out or too contrasted. (Which is ridiculous since HDR in PS5 games like Astro's Playroom and Sackboy's Adventures but also in Netflix is absolutely perfect).

I'm not sure if this work for you but I've got some weird bug where HDR doesn't work properly for this game unless I disable HDR on the input in my TV settings and then reenable it. On my TV (Philips Android TV) this option is in 'general settings' and is called HDMI Ultra HDI (or something similar). Not sure if the issue is to do with the game, the Xbox or my TV but that fixes it. I have to repeat the fix every time I revert back to the Xbox menu or even press the Xbox button so the overlay comes up. It's very strange. Happens with Modern Warfare too but in that case, I only have to do it once.

Anyway...probably won't work for you but would be interesting to me if it did.

thatJohann

I'm 25 hours in and I didn't know I could change Eivor's outfit? Is there a store or something where I purchase new clothes?

mitchman

Gold Member
I'm 25 hours in and I didn't know I could change Eivor's outfit? Is there a store or something where I purchase new clothes?
You find new armor pieces to do that. Tattoos and such can be changed when you get the tattoo shop in your settlement.

scalman

yh as said armor , found all around the world when you exploring places and there some loot is marked as armor icon, thats where some random new armor will be, in tottall i think its 7 types at least i found that many in my 100 hr play . but i dont know how to get them all in 5 peaces , i still couldnt found not one besides your first armor that would be all 5 peaces. so for me all other armors are just useless, if you will just change them when find then sure thats cool, but then you need to think which one you will upgrade, as recourses will be so hard to get

raven clan armor now maxed fully but no other armor is upgraded at all as still not all 5 peaces of them found
w9F7UOG.png

Last edited:

Exentryk

East Anglia was a decent little arc. Certainly better than the first two, but not by much. Hopefully the upcoming ones keep improving.

Also, it doesn't seem like I'll finish this game before Cyberpunk. I fear I might not come back to it after.

scalman

110hrs 66% , 310 power. some of those teritory cleaning maning allies missions are way better and more interesting for me then main stuff. and some are so long with so many dialogs and cutscenes just amazing how much stuff they put there and how much effort it needed. some of those really like touch you deep, like makes you think whats really important for you and why you doing that stuff. amazing. still couple large areas on highest power lvl left to do, not many skills left to open , but that power will go still some up maybe i will max it even. i could say im purelly vikining in this game , not Assassining at all. i mean now stealth is too easy , so just cutting heads hands legs and impaling everyone around me . so good that its just slow enough not too fast movements not too fast weapon swings. feels great. 2 spears just impaling anyone in series of hits .. just amazing.

hello old friend
iZm7AkR.jpg

rDFTRU5.jpg

lpgGWeq.jpg

anbLfZO.jpg

RYglDuQ.jpg

WOUMbKj.jpg

y7Fr6ed.jpg

Last edited:

shubik

I´m in the last region and I want to push through the game just for the sake of finally finishing it (72 hours now)but damn this thing keeps crashing my PS4! This really starts to piss me off and kind of ruins my enjoyment....

Mossybrew

Getting close to 70 hours and the repetition is starting to wear on me. Honestly I don't think this game even has a story, it's just a series of random events that happen. You have things that feel like they are building to something, like your jarl going nuts and needing rescue, then it's kinda resolved and hours later not yet even mentioned again, back to the random people and events. Game is weird.

Top Bottom