• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC: Valhalla |OT| From Nordic runes to English ruins

wvnative

Are you sure you've done all the raids? 1-2 popped up for me once I unveiled foggy areas. And most of the final alliance pledges give you 100 supplies each, so by the time you're approaching the final couple pledges you'll have upgraded everything probably.

I figured it out, gotta scour the map for the small gold dots and pray they have supplies in them, its so tedious, but after 5 hours, yes 5, i think i am close to getting what i need.

And yeah i did all the raids, was still FAR short, the last few upgrades need like 1200 supplies each. I really wish there had been a few more raids to curb the grind or put 200 supplies in the small world chests.

THEAP99

Banned
The new Assassins Creed Valhalla update on ps5 added resistance when using bows.

The strength of the resistance depends on the type of bow you are using. A light bow is easier, a bullseye is harder.

TY so much @Ubisoft @assassinscreed. That was indeed a pleasant surprise.

Been debating whether or not to bone down for the PS5 digital version. I keep hearing good things about it. I liked Origins, kinda gave up though after about 30 hours.

Been debating whether or not to bone down for the PS5 digital version. I keep hearing good things about it. I liked Origins, kinda gave up though after about 30 hours.

well for now I’ve beaten most games I want to play on ps5

I have cyberpunk but I’m waiting a while for it to get a good patch

AC:V filled the gap nicely

if the patch still hasn’t released after I’ve beaten AC:V, I may get Immortals next

Bo_Hazem

Banned
well for now I’ve beaten most games I want to play on ps5

I have cyberpunk but I’m waiting a while for it to get a good patch

AC:V filled the gap nicely

if the patch still hasn’t released after I’ve beaten AC:V, I may get Immortals next

WD:L is hilarious and wonderful, loved it so much. Give it a try as well. Actually Ubisoft has saved current gen so far and getting Immortals next.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Is anyone having controller issues with AC:V on PS5? The game doesn't always respond to button presses, especially when I press the L1 trigger to make the raven hover across a piece of land. I often have to press a few times before the raven finally stops. I'ved had issues with the R3 "stomp" button, too. And sometimes the photo mode gets triggered in the middle of combat. I've played a few other games on my PS5 (Astrobot, Sackboy, Tearaway, Wipeout, etc) and those games played perfectly fine.

Södy

Just finished the main story (I think). Story wasn't great IMO:

The whole "go for this region" thing got boring in the end and I really lost track about who these guys were. Also the final battle and you're talking to like 10 people? Where is the whole freaking army?
Is Ubbe really dead? What happened with Alfred? Damn, so many questions. Atleast the modern parts where small.

Overall I'd give it a 8/10 because I love Vikings and just riding around and creating chaos is great.

THEAP99

Banned
i think i said this before maybe not. latest patch added adaptive triggers for bows.

i also notice that whenever i got on a small boat, the haptics would mimic the water flushing by. good on ubisoft for addding that

Roufianos

Ahh. Just finished the quest line with Ragnar's sons and I'm not feeling it. The combat is serviceable at best and the thought of another 60 hours of doing the same sort of things over and over is becoming a dread.

Strange because I loved Odyssey.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

I'm not far into the game but does this game continue to be a rip off of read dead redemption 2? i swear it feels like RDR2 but vikings instead of cowboys.

Ahh. Just finished the quest line with Ragnar's sons and I'm not feeling it. The combat is serviceable at best and the thought of another 60 hours of doing the same sort of things over and over is becoming a dread.

Franchise fatigue?

I havent played an AC since Black Flag and I'm enjoying AC:V. Although, I really do think it would be better if it were more focused and had about half the content

Paperboy

Seeing how they plan to support the game with new content in the coming months it is surely meant to be enjoyed in smaller snippets over a longer period.
Personally, I really appreciate how they tried to make the story and the gameplay feel unique in every region even though it all boils down to taking over forts and camps every time.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Seeing how they plan to support the game with new content in the coming months it is surely meant to be enjoyed in smaller snippets over a longer period.
Personally, I really appreciate how they tried to make the story and the gameplay feel unique in every region even though it all boils down to taking over forts and camps every time.

Yea, very true. I was thinking of selling it but I really think I'll appreciate having something to chip away at when we reach an inevitable drought next year.

Franchise fatigue?

I havent played an AC since Black Flag and I'm enjoying AC:V. Although, I really do think it would be better if it were more focused and had about half the content

Yea maybe although I haven't touched Odyssey in 2 years. I'd definitely be enjoying it more though if it was my entry point to this new style of game like it is for you.

cripterion

After clearing the 5th region I can't take no more of this. Hacking my way through the same copy pasta soldier, all those poor animations searching for treasure, the meaningless raids, the shitty mysteries, I just can't. I wanted to see where the story was going with Sigurd... but what the hell. Never finished Odyssey too cause it just becomes a chore to play in the end.

I really hope after 3 games of this, Ubisoft will find a way to make combat decent for the next AC game.

Was enjoying the game at first and recently got a ps5. Going from pro to ps5 with 60fps and higher settings slightly like a new game.

However, I am already bored with it. You're supposed to be some semi-assassin but most people you can't even one shot kill - makes stealth pointless, they should stop calling these games assassin lol.

Back to my earlier point, I am just finding myself doing the same shit all the time and the combat isn't exactly in-depth, still better than the witcher. I've just done London and onto the new area which I think is supposed to be Wales? The enemies are all welsh anyway. I don't even think I am half way through so I am going to struggle to finish.

Since the Christmas event went live every time I load my save my character is pissed.
Same LOL. I thought my save was corrupted.

Last edited:
You're supposed to be some semi-assassin but most people you can't even one shot kill - makes stealth pointless, they should stop calling these games assassin lol.

There's an option that allows you to stealth melee kill with the hidden blade every enemy you find (aside from boss fights, obviously). Not just that, but you also unlock a skill later that allows you to (with an easy to time single-press QTE of sorts) eliminate even folks that are pretty high level that would not normally die with a single hidden blade hit.

Malakhov

Banned
I enjoy the game so far, absolutely gorgeous with max settings on pc and the combat is alright but I just finished 3/6 alliances and hopefully after that it will turn into something else because these are getting really repetitive story wise

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
i think i said this before maybe not. latest patch added adaptive triggers for bows.

i also notice that whenever i got on a small boat, the haptics would mimic the water flushing by. good on ubisoft for addding that

Yeah I do not like at all, especially on those yuletide archery challenges.

However, I am already bored with it. You're supposed to be some semi-assassin but most people you can't even one shot kill - makes stealth pointless, they should stop calling these games assassin lol.

If you want to be an assassin, you have to invest mainly in raven (crit, stealth and assassin), and unlock the advanced assassination perk. Then it's possible to pretty much one shot everything.

Assassins-Creed-Valhalla-Advanced-Assassination.jpg

I'm coming to the end and these are my thoughts so far

- The overall game probably has too many regions by two.
- Vinland was cool especially as it gives the Origin for Connors story but it just felt like an addon to get more power levels. You have to abandon all inventory and then start again, yet your inventory is only applicable there. There is no need to upgrade.
- Asgard was also terrible. Jotunheim was actually cool once you got into the smaller story. I think Asgard set up the Loki/Fenrir arc terribly but Jotunheim fixed some of it. It was an interesting story line, I just think it was delivered poorly at the start.
- They are moving towards people keeping the game installed year round which is...interesting. I had far more fun not treating this like campaign but a game you just log into, knock a few missions off and then return rather than burning out aka GaaS
- I actually like the main storylines (Sigurd is interesting, Fenrir becomes interesting, Gorm and the apple is interesting, most of the sub region ealdormann stories are interesting except one or two that I'd cut out.
- Combat is ok, but not as good as Odyssey in the abilities.
- It also suffers from weird stiffness on some parkour.

Solid game and I think I'd now (from the new games) place them as

1. Origins
2. Valhalla
3. Odyssey

cormack12

Gold Member
I enjoy the game so far, absolutely gorgeous with max settings on pc and the combat is alright but I just finished 3/6 alliances and hopefully after that it will turn into something else because these are getting really repetitive story wise

Bad news. That's the arc of the game. There are more than 6 regions/alliances as well. Some of the regions have really interesting stories (i.e. wicker man), others are just terrible. I'm on the last alliance now after 80 hours and then I'm assuming the end game kicks in. Certain alliances are tied to main story advancement though so they do break up the monotony.

Malakhov

Banned
Bad news. That's the arc of the game. There are more than 6 regions/alliances as well. Some of the regions have really interesting stories (i.e. wicker man), others are just terrible. I'm on the last alliance now after 80 hours and then I'm assuming the end game kicks in. Certain alliances are tied to main story advancement though so they do break up the monotony.
Wouldn't mind if it would be all about making alliances but so far it's always about helping someone become the king of a region, I mean come on ...

cormack12

Gold Member
Wouldn't mind if it would be all about making alliances but so far it's always about helping someone become the king of a region, I mean come on ...

lol, yeah that's pretty much it. Install someone who is loyal to you in a region then use them to support your claim to conquest. When you have enough regions/support you can make your sexy viking moves.

Edit: Holy shit at the tearing on PS5??! I thought this was only an XSX thing - Wincestre is fucking god awful. Might upload a couple of clips later but that is shocking!!

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I wished they did like Breath of the Wild, let the main story take place in a small area and let 90% of the world be uncharted territory that you know nothing about, with no makers on the map, and have to travel there to check it out.

I wished they moved away from the concept of needing main story missions in EVERY part of the map. It's just too draining and only half of the missions feel worthwhile. But this is still a great game, huge and beautiful. And set to become the most successful Creed game ever.

Brute

After clearing the 5th region I can't take no more of this. Hacking my way through the same copy pasta soldier, all those poor animations searching for treasure, the meaningless raids, the shitty mysteries, I just can't. I wanted to see where the story was going with Sigurd... but what the hell. Never finished Odyssey too cause it just becomes a chore to play in the end.

I really hope after 3 games of this, Ubisoft will find a way to make combat decent for the next AC game.
I’m with you on everything here except the last bit - I loved the combat in Origins and Odyssey (haven’t played ACV yet).

But the word ‘chore’ perfectly sums up these games now. Repetitive ass also sums them up.

Paperboy

Think about the immersion it would bring by adding voice overs to more letters you come by in the world, like they did with the Standing Stones side activities. I, for one, wouldn't then be in a rush when reading many of them. It's a matter of money of course and I know it's not really feasible, but they should at least save the letters in the codex menu for later reading. When you're in the middle of raiding a fort it's not always the best time to stop and read that letter on the table. Kind of feel bad for the writer(s) who put work into them.

Yes, the way they talked about forming alliances before release could give the impression that there would be a strategic element to it, but it's just about progressing in the story in a new part of the map.

The Yule event disappeared for me the other day. I thought they were server issues so I didn't bother, but it's not came back since again. I'd like to avoid having to load a save from hours earlier. I already picked up almost all items from it, but it's still a bummer: camp loads in normally with no snow and such, and the replayable minigames and such are nowhere to be seen.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I’m with you on everything here except the last bit - I loved the combat in Origins and Odyssey (haven’t played ACV yet).

But the word ‘chore’ perfectly sums up these games now. Repetitive ass also sums them up.

The thing that stinks is that it has easy fixes.

Instead of getting a mark dump in hitting the sync point, they could build mini narrative arcs by having mysteries and treasures open up as you complete previous ones, which would allow them to build narratives around the “filler content” and make the player feel like those chests mean something else than just contextless upgrade materials.

It’s an obvious solution and I’m sure they’ve considered it at some point and yet I don’t understand why they don’t move forward.

The first time I remember the mini-events mystery style to fill up the map was in RDR1. That was a 360 game, we’re a generation and a half later.

Top Bottom