• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC: Valhalla |OT| From Nordic runes to English ruins

scalman

well for me compare to oddysey which i will play again after this , this game have best story in last years, not sure maybe im too mush into those old times, but i just love them , old time, old cities, old rules, i would love to live there, still i do only SP game thats why my division 2 playtime is over 450 hrs in solo mode only . so im only for stories , and i love this one. its so good .

Kamina

Golden Boy
Realising that the female Eivor is the canon choice is a gut punch. Hell, my male Eivor keeps getting called 'her' and 'she' lmao. Playing the game further makes it obvious as to why but these developers are gutless. If you are going to force a female choice do it proudly and not like cowards hiding it behind marketing and PR.
The he/she issues are confirmed bugs. People also report being called ”he” when playing female Eivor.
And if you are referring to a certain letter, this issue has also been patched to refer to the chosen gender.

Now Eivor being a traditionally female name remains kinda silly though. But since it is a rare Scandinavian name and sounds alien it’s easy to ignore/forget.

Personally i will always play as male in this game. Female Eivor just acts like a man all the time (even weird for a shieldmaiden) and a male viking makes so much more sense, feels more badass.

Last edited:

Denton

Finished it fully - all scires, all order folks dead, all modern day stuff done, gunnar married, randvi slept with. All that remains is the ten contracts for the weird black kid and fuck that busywork.

Great game, but way too long for its own good, because it cannot keep up consistent quality and is filled with subpar stuff, which then makes the great stuff in it kinda drown. Less is more Ubisoft! You are not Rockstar or CD Projekt, you cannot sustain quality for 150 hours like they can! So cut cut cut and leave only the good stuff in your games and you might be in running for GOTY someday.

Soundtrack was 10/10, visuals are quite beautiful too very often.

bati

Finished it fully - all scires, all order folks dead, all modern day stuff done, gunnar married, randvi slept with. All that remains is the ten contracts for the weird black kid and fuck that busywork.

Great game, but way too long for its own good, because it cannot keep up consistent quality and is filled with subpar stuff, which then makes the great stuff in it kinda drown. Less is more Ubisoft! You are not Rockstar or CD Projekt, you cannot sustain quality for 150 hours like they can! So cut cut cut and leave only the good stuff in your games and you might be in running for GOTY someday.

Soundtrack was 10/10, visuals are quite beautiful too very often.

Exactly my sentiments. Final stages of Hunting...something...scire questline to go and then I'm done with this game. Forever.

9/10 would recommend in a heart beat, but too long for its own good.

WakeTheWolf

Amazing game completed it but was puzzled at the end wondering if it had ended or not. I'm guessing that they'll tie up the story in DLCs?

THEAP99

Banned
I just lost 4 hours worth of gameplay somehow.. something fucked up with the save on ps5.. when I closed the game it said something like error syncing or something I didn't think much of it. So I went back to play it and I'm set back 4 hours :( god dammit

Exentryk

CdyZtCr.jpg

Dodging all day long:

Last edited:

TheStam

The he/she issues are confirmed bugs. People also report being called ”he” when playing female Eivor.
And if you are referring to a certain letter, this issue has also been patched to refer to the chosen gender.

Now Eivor being a traditionally female name remains kinda silly though. But since it is a rare Scandinavian name and sounds alien it’s easy to ignore/forget.

Personally i will always play as male in this game. Female Eivor just acts like a man all the time (even weird for a shieldmaiden) and a male viking makes so much more sense, feels more badass.

It's an old lady name and a ridiculous choice for a male character. I've met several Eivors IRL. They're into knitting and bingo, not slaying monks.

Denton

It's an old lady name and a ridiculous choice for a male character. I've met several Eivors IRL. They're into knitting and bingo, not slaying monks.
That's hilarious. For me as nonscandinavian name Eivor sounds both male and bad ass. If I didn't know any better I would not mind naming my hypothetical boy kid Eivor.

Amazing game completed it but was puzzled at the end wondering if it had ended or not. I'm guessing that they'll tie up the story in DLCs?

The way Valhalla handles its ending is just really dumb, yeah. There are never credits, it never properly ends. I ended it after seeing
Eivor in modern day as Basim/Loki
, just overlooking the nature.

Hopefully the expansions will be good and not bloated again..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man... if you're playing male Eivor, this game really tries to force some gay sex on you. In 65 hours, I think I have encountered 7 potential male lovers and only 2 female. Probably just reinforces the idea that they designed it with female Eivor as the default character.

Last edited by a moderator:

scalman

116hrs 72% 340 power. Still 2 new areas left clean and some earlier ones still to explore. It will be about sane time when cb 2077 releases i will be done with this i think. Good timing.
Still enjoying still need to upgrade ciuple weapons.

My first AC game since Unity made me quit on the series.

Safe to say right now its a bust.

Made it to Asgard and had a mission bug and now I cannot complete that quest and am locked out of that entire storyline.

Googled it and it has been a major issues since release and no fix in site

Ubisoft release the most buggy games ever. Wish I bought Demon Souls now if I'm honest.

Don't have it in me to go back in hours of progress

Kenpachii

Made it to Asgard and had a mission bug and now I cannot complete that quest and am locked out of that entire storyline.

Ubisoft release the most buggy games ever. Wish I bought Demon Souls now if I'm honest.

Bugs are fine, the problem is it takes ages for them to fix it. There patch system is absolutely terrible.

mitchman

Gold Member

Just pick up a different story line in the alliance map. Asgard arc can wait.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm about 28hrs in and it was only today that I realized that the main storyline goes through the alliance map. >_>. I had just been wandering around every waterway in places way above my level. I'm also at the end of the Asgard plotline. Things are flying now. Went from around level 60 to 100 today.:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

scalman

I kinda dont wanna go back now to asgard but i know i need to be done with that too i guess. But it will be just easy walk in park as most areas now even if they at power 250 im at 340 bitches you cant touch me,i can walk on water now.
Fishing is boring but i find shalow waters and just smash tons fishes with my spears. Those stones statues kinda sucks later in game they hard i dont have patience for them just leaving them.

Malakhov

Banned
I fucked up I think. I picked that option that the game switches between male and female hero. I thought they were brother and sister but it's the same person and they just switch sex? The fuck is this? Wtf is wrong with this bullshit?

Complistic

I fucked up I think. I picked that option that the game switches between male and female hero. I thought they were brother and sister but it's the same person and they just switch sex? The fuck is this? Wtf is wrong with this bullshit?

If it doesn't make any sense to you, that's because it doesn't make any sense.

Malakhov

Banned
If it doesn't make any sense to you, that's because it doesn't make any sense.
Right now, a few hours into the game, it doesnt make sense at all since there is no explications for it. Hopefully there will be some sooner rather than later and then it will become clear.

Right now it's just bullshit

Last edited:
Since I've been in quarantine for a few weeks now due to COVID-19, I bought the game just over 2 weeks ago and I already put 150 hours in. Finished nearly everything, absolutely adored nearly everything aside from some of the final achievements and mysteries, which were a bit too unprecise and random for my tastes. Progression system improved a lot, atmospheres are amazing, battle improved, loot feels more satisfying, story and characters are deeper than in Origins - and that was my favourite AC prior. Now? Well, Origins wins in the amazing location, but I feel like Valhalla is a better game in almost every aspect, despite a bit of glitches and jank. I gladly answer questions to anyone since I completed nearly everything there is in the game, including the hunting challenges, the Xbox achievements, all territories and even the camp-based stuff like the deliveries for the shop.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Right now, a few hours into the game, it doesnt make sense at all since there is no explications for it. Hopefully there will be some sooner rather than later and then it will become clear.

Right now it's just bullshit
The plot excuse is weak.
Choose either male or female and never look back.

Exentryk

Think I'll have to put this on hold while I spend the next few months on Cyberpunk.

It's been a decent 7/10 experience so far. The main reason I've enjoyed this one less than Origins and Odyssey is because the combat is boring (weaker skills/abilities/stamina system/etc). Also the repetitiveness of the story with each new zone makes it worse. I do think the world events (side quests) are better in this though.

Anyway, onwards to Cyberpunk.

scalman

yh later in game i start to kinda dont care about sigurd and later when he went to crazy side i dont wanna any mission with him anymore, and for now there are not missions with him , but i know it will be at some point soon i guess. but i dont care for him or need him rly. i build all place with my own hands my own loot i did all and he was never there at all, so fkc him anyway.

im real raven now khar khar!!!!
3edheai.jpg

Ztf1NMp.jpg

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
The plot excuse is weak.
Choose either male or female and never look back.
Anyhow the game hasn't switched it even once after hours. I found out I can switch from the inventory menu. Screw this, another ridiculous thing pushed by ubisoft

Malakhov

Banned
Think I'll have to put this on hold while I spend the next few months on Cyberpunk.

It's been a decent 7/10 experience so far. The main reason I've enjoyed this one less than Origins and Odyssey is because the combat is boring (weaker skills/abilities/stamina system/etc). Also the repetitiveness of the story with each new zone makes it worse. I do think the world events (side quests) are better in this though.

Anyway, onwards to Cyberpunk.
The combat is indeed very boring compared to odyssey. Also I really hate this wealth addition instead of finding items everywhere. What is really bothering me in this one the most so far is that everything feels so tedious and stretched for absolutely no reason. I know ubi is known for this, but it feels worst in this one than odyssey. I mean some buildings you don't even have access to doors or always have to find keys for them.

I really enjoyed odyssey and origins but after 6 hours into this one, I'm not feeling it at all

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
71 hours in and there's still more to do! I think I got what as the initial ending, and holy shit, the meta story sure gets wacky.

Really been enjoying my time with this one, even more so than Odyssey. I think I'll pick up the season pass as a trip to Ireland and Frankia sounds like a good time.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
but i dont care for him or need him rly. i build all place with my own hands my own loot i did all and he was never there at all, so fkc him anyway.
This is exactly how I feel. We're out here building something special for our people, saving everybody's asses, and building alliances. Fuck his stupid shit I don't need to chase magic I'll just split Alfred of Wessex in 2 with my great axe instead of being a crazy hobo with a creepy friend bothering everybody.

scalman

So its actually 9 armor sets totall unless they will bring another one i think its 9 then. But whats the point if i wont have enough those gold bricks to enhance other armor fully to test it. They not gold but i forgot how they called now but looks like golden bricks. Enhanced all weapon fully and that one start armor.
I love flyting games those are so cool rly never knew about those. Dont care for drinking as later it becomes kinda just hard. But flyting is cool even for me non eng guy.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
So its actually 9 armor sets totall unless they will bring another one i think its 9 then. But whats the point if i wont have enough those gold bricks to enhance other armor fully to test it. They not gold but i forgot how they called now but looks like golden bricks. Enhanced all weapon fully and that one start armor.
I love flyting games those are so cool rly never knew about those. Dont care for drinking as later it becomes kinda just hard. But flyting is cool even for me non eng guy.
Tungsten Ingots

There are many scattered, and from my understanding you can farm them later.

Paasei

Hopefully I get it finished tonight. After this region there's only one that remains for me. Playing on the highest difficulty, which makes all the extra combat moves worthwhile.
Going for a 100% completion, which allows you to outlvl every region quite a lot. Therefore, regardless of my chosen difficulty, it seems a little easy at times.

Once you are over the initial level cap, you're back into the mastery system, but it's more limited. You can only continously upgrade your main "style". Like in Origins.

scalman

Tungsten Ingots

There are many scattered, and from my understanding you can farm them later.
yes i know where they are as i explored all 120 hrs but they just later in game at higher power lvl area and one weapon needs like 3 to just ehnace it , so if you have like pairs of axes ,spares and large axes and then all armor to enhance thats a lot ingots you need and i enhanced all now, but its not possible to do that same for rest armor even for one more armor it would be hard. farm later ? not sure how or when but it must be like too late in game t hat you would care to change armor .

mitchman

Gold Member
yes i know where they are as i explored all 120 hrs but they just later in game at higher power lvl area and one weapon needs like 3 to just ehnace it , so if you have like pairs of axes ,spares and large axes and then all armor to enhance thats a lot ingots you need and i enhanced all now, but its not possible to do that same for rest armor even for one more armor it would be hard. farm later ? not sure how or when but it must be like too late in game t hat you would care to change armor .
I've heard you can also buy it in the store once your settlement is fully at level 6. I'm a sliver away from that, though, so can't verify.

Impulsor

I got the platinum trophy for this last week on PS5, at 118 hours. My favourite AC from the "RPG trio". Liked it more than Origins and Odyssey.

It also felt like it already includes 2 DLC expansions as base content vs the past two games.

I absolutely adored exploring this world, what a beautiful game.

scalman

Yh but setlement be at max lvl its just very late in game i still need one more building to upgrade to max .
They sell titanium so what just 5 at time, and when you bought 2 times 5 noone in other places has it anymore. So if its same deal then its no use. I have money but cant buy titanium still need to look around for it to upgrade weapons.
I like this a lot but its good that its different from previous in skills and ship battles no more. So when i will miss those things i will go back to odyssey for ship battles . I still didint finished odyssey.

Last edited:

wvnative

Need help, near the end of the game, done all the raids, but need lots more supplies for the last few settlement upgrades. What do I do now? Random chests only give me weapon upgrade materials.

Last edited:
Need help, near the end of the game, done all the raids, but need lots more supplies for the last few settlement upgrades. What do I do now? Random chests only give me weapon upgrade materials.

Are you sure you've done all the raids? 1-2 popped up for me once I unveiled foggy areas. And most of the final alliance pledges give you 100 supplies each, so by the time you're approaching the final couple pledges you'll have upgraded everything probably.

Top Bottom