• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC: Valhalla |OT| From Nordic runes to English ruins

Giles

Hey all. Got a sealed copy of this I’ve yet to play for the ps5. Bought it in the hype of the theme / new console treat yourself attitude but I’ve been kept busy with demon souls and probably want to do another playthrough of ds before moving onto another game.

My only concern is the length as I don’t have the time for an above average 100+ hour RPG. I was tempted to get credit in store, use that for psn wallet dolla and get ghost of tsushima. Thoughts?

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
Hey all. Got a sealed copy of this I’ve yet to play for the ps5. Bought it in the hype of the theme / new console treat yourself attitude but I’ve been kept busy with demon souls and probably want to do another playthrough of ds before moving onto another game.

My only concern is the length as I don’t have the time for an above average 100+ hour RPG. I was tempted to get credit in store, use that for psn wallet dolla and get ghost of tsushima. Thoughts?
Idk much about this game but GoT is awesome. I think I beat main story and a chunk of aide quests in like 30 hours too.

saintjules

I've been seeing people saying they have been playing Valhalla for 70+ hours and are not yet finished with the game. I played for a few hours, but stopped because I got sucked into Yakuza's story.

Ghost of Tsushima is considered to be a long game as well, especially when you throw in the sidequests. I finished it at 51 hours with doing a mixture of both, but didn't finish all of the sidequests/findings. You most likely wouldn't have time for this either, but if you're going just for story, then GoT might be good for you over Valhalla in terms of length.

Last edited:

Giles

Idk much about this game but GoT is awesome. I think I beat main story and a chunk of aide quests in like 30 hours too.
See this is definitely more manageable. 40 maybe 50 hours would be my limit just because it would take me so long to chip through it when I get back to work (I booked a week off for the ps5 and I’m only still working through demons souls lol).

Giles

I've been seeing people saying they have been playing Valhalla for 70+ hours and are not yet finished with the game. I played for a few hours, but stopped because I got sucked into Yakuza's story.

Ghost of Tsushima is considered to be a long game as well, especially when you throw in the sidequests. I finished it at 51 hours with doing a mixture of both, but didn't finish all of the sidequests/findings. You most likely wouldn't have time for this either, but if you're going just for story, then GoT might be good for you over Valhalla in terms of length.
Again this would be my upper limit in time so I’m tempted with GoT. The combat looks better as well and the moment to moment combat is up there in priorities for me. Only concern is complaints of the camera during combat in that you need to re-adjust it on the fly which can mess up the flow. Then again I’m happy with demons souls and it isn’t as expansive as dark souls later entries.

What’s your thoughts on gameplay?

edit: sorry don’t want to go too off topic but I can’t create topics yet lol

Last edited:

saintjules

Again this would be my upper limit in time so I’m tempted with GoT. The combat looks better as well and the moment to moment combat is up there in priorities for me. Only concern is complaints of the camera during combat in that you need to re-adjust it on the fly which can mess up the flow. Then again I’m happy with demons souls and it isn’t as expansive as dark souls later entries.

What’s your thoughts on gameplay?

edit: sorry don’t want to go too off topic but I can’t create topics yet lol

No worries. So yeah, GoT's combat in terms of the Camera rotation was a gripe for some. I get the annoyance, but I personally found it fine and it's something you can get used to naturally. Auto lock on in games don't work all that well sometimes, so it was a 'nice' change for me. I actually prefer the fact that you have 100% control over the Camera. Sure, there's enemies that come far off the screen that you need to rotate the Camera to see, but again, something you can adjust your skillset to right away.

Also! The fact that the boost mode on the PS5 has GoT at 60fps is a godsend. The parrying and combat overall is much more fluid. I waited the last couple of hours of the story. Was a joy and almost wished I waited to play from the start on the PS5.

Umm, what exactly is the problem with lowering down SFX volume and keeping music up? I can hear music perfectly fine and OST is one of my favourite things about Valhalla. Eivor is not talking too loud either (PC version here). I have no issues with the audio really.
I've done exactly that and still the music is super quiet. There isn't any sliders to adjust individual sound options in the game. It sounds like the dialogue from Eivor needs to be lowered about 20% and the Music RAISED by 40%. I've loved the music in pretty much all the games, only things that's been consistent in the whole series has been the music. Are you using headphones? The audio issues may only be issues with actual desktop speakers, but they are TERRIBLE on it I can tell you. IF you've been using headphones, try switching to desktop speakers and see if you can replicate it. But I've not had this issue with audio in any previous Ubi games I've played on PC, so I'm unsure as to what's going on here. It's super bad on PC for me.

Last edited:

Giles

No worries. So yeah, GoT's combat in terms of the Camera rotation was a gripe for some. I get the annoyance, but I personally found it fine and it's something you can get used to naturally. Auto lock on in games don't work all that well sometimes, so it was a 'nice' change for me. I actually prefer the fact that you have 100% control over the Camera. Sure, there's enemies that come far off the screen that you need to rotate the Camera to see, but again, something you can adjust your skillset to right away.

Also! The fact that the boost mode on the PS5 has GoT at 60fps is a godsend. The parrying and combat overall is much more fluid. I waited the last couple of hours of the story. Was a joy and almost wished I waited to play from the start on the PS5.

Thanks bud, you’ve convinced me to swap it!

I agree, 60fps is the way to go for buttery smooth gameplay and sure you can always replay it if it’s that good.

What's going wrong with it?
got stuck after I got the hidden blade and they take you out to go training I either can kill them all nonstop or it just gets stuck after one,
You can kill the first dummy.
You can half kill the second hard dummy.
You can ledge assassinate

Then the guidance and markers about the next one to kill stops. A help dialogue pops up about air assassinate so I assume that is next, but after that there is no guidance and the game does not progress.

So after ledge dummy it has to be some combination of,
Dummy next to the tall grass
Air dummy
Hay dummy.

I tried some of these combinations but unable to get game to progress.

Kagey K

Banned
got stuck after I got the hidden blade and they take you out to go training I either can kill them all nonstop or it just gets stuck after one,
You can kill the first dummy.
You can half kill the second hard dummy.
You can ledge assassinate

Then the guidance and markers about the next one to kill stops. A help dialogue pops up about air assassinate so I assume that is next, but after that there is no guidance and the game does not progress.

So after ledge dummy it has to be some combination of,
Dummy next to the tall grass
Air dummy
Hay dummy.

I tried some of these combinations but unable to get game to progress.
Strange. That didn't happen to me. Mine walked me through them all and then the guys made a joke about leaving me with my new toy when I got near them. I'm not sure what you could do to try to fix that.

My problem was I was trying to assassinate the wrong dummy at first. Took me a bit to realize I couldn't just pick one for the first assassination.

Last edited:

scalman

Not single glitch or bug for me on any mission. Im on uplay. Game crashes from time to time but then work ok again so no prob.

Strange. That didn't happen to me. Mine walked me through them all and then the guys made a joke about leaving me with my new toy when I got near them. I'm not sure what you could do to try to fix that.

My problem was I was trying to assassinate the wrong dummy at first. Took me a bit to realize I couldn't just pick one for the first assassination.
Yea the assassins didn’t follow me they stayed at the entrance,I had to restart my game from the beginning and it fixed itself.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This
Asgard
area kind of sucks... I'm wondering if it's worth doing. Really feels less polished and crafted compared to the rest of the game.

DonJorginho

Banned
Just watched videos and spoke to some people playing and it looks like the game now runs like shit on performance mode on PS5 since the latest patch? Was gonna start my playthrough today and all :(

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
This
Asgard
area kind of sucks... I'm wondering if it's worth doing. Really feels less polished and crafted compared to the rest of the game.
I thought I had to finish it to progress the main story, but when I realized I didn't, I dropped it like a hot potato. I'll get back to it when I'm overpowered, but for now, I'm happy to avoid that one like the plague.

rob_araujoo

Neo Member
I'm having trouble with the audio of the characters' speech.
I'm using physical media on ps4 slim. Updated version 1.02.
And the stranger who's giving sound problems in both Portuguese and English.
Someone with a similar problem?

Last edited:

Kenpachii

images

8b145db2322973b299ce8ae7b5cdc4bf.png

My review about the game ( i don't spoil anything in here so safe to read for new players ):

Patch 1.0.4:

Patch didn't fix everything but fixed a lot and also made the game a lot more functional with stuff they added towards shop and world map with ? npc's that pop up. Also lots of tiny fixes like u can use your bow now properly without it getting locked at the start etc. However fps went down a bit and shadow issues are now a thing after the patch but all with all i got to the end of it as far as i can with the bugs still present that prevents most people from completing some side stuff.

Also the patch give me tons of extra skill points, opals and materials that i all missed out on it seems like because of not adding towards it after completing stuff. So that was nice to see.

U can't 100% the game as of now sadly, and frankly i don't see this getting fixed anytime soon which make the chase for 100% at the current stage kinda useless.

What did i skip out of my 100% run:

- I skipped fishing objectives from your settlement and hunting ( did legendary ones ofcourse ) because honestly it's terrible and just filler content that should honestly be canned the next time.
- I skipped 1 quest ( bugged ), 1 wealth ( bugged ), 1 treasure hunt ( bugged ) and didn't bought all the shop tattoos and other gems because waste of time ( did buy all weapons out of it )
- I skipped the shop items because that will take a year to farm on daily's and wait forever to get the items out of it and frankly no thanks, 99% of it stucks anyway.

Total % done currently? honestly no clue about it:

Reason for this is that my % number keeps changing even when i don't play the game. The god worlds only added 3% towards my completion score and after i quitted the game and came back to check my hours a few hours later when i closed the game down it went magically up by another 3%. It's a mess. Current number is 91%. but i question this big time because that means i skipped probably 4 big maps completely which isn't the case. So it's probably bugged as of now.

( edit ) its now 94% somehow rofl.

5fcce66b636e2af487f48fb8d2df5152.png

How big is valhalla vs origin and odyssey:

In short: as big as odyssey, took me 15 days to complete it.

Total play hours i ended up with is :

- 139 hours for valhalla exact for basically 100% it ( with fishing and hunting it probably goes over it but i don't consider this content really)
- ac origin was 91 hours for 100% but that's with both dlc's which take up about a good ~30 hours of it.
- ac odyssey was about 180 hours with ~40 hours of dlc content to 100% it so basically 140 hours.

Game is as big as odyssey, don't let anybody else tell you otherwise as they clearly didn't play the game then. Lots of game content is hidden by doing side things and if you are not up for that u will miss out on massive amounts of content such as dungeons and massive puzzles that can get really hard.

Difficulty i played on:

Hardest mode on all settings and that's where i base my review on.

The game was basically hard at the start norway and early england but became a lot more easier over time because of obvious reasons to the point u would breeze to the end. They could have implemented a more difficult mode to be honest as odyssey and the 25% health solution was incredible fun to play as it was risky this game doesn't have it.

What version i bought and played and what settings:

- Ultimate edition
- Uplay
- PC version
- 1080p ultra settings ~65 fps

What version would i advice to people:

Standard for now.

But if you want the dlc for the future get the gold edition

Only if you really want the skins get the ultimate edition because that's pretty much what u get from it. I personally dislike the wolf mount because it howls every 2 seconds that drives you nuts and it makes no sound while running which makes it feel kinda buggy and weird in general. Model also is kinda meh. Got the opal horse mount from first week weekly and never looked back.

Beowulf dlc content:

Just as useless as the origin and odyssey extra quest

10 minutes tops, it's basically as much as a random side quest with no rewards, terrible don't bother with it if you miss out on it u miss nothing.

Now let's move towards the game.

Performance:

About same as odyssey, worse then origin ( understandable )

Basically rough performance a 1080ti oced to 2000mhz and a 9900k on 5,1ghz on ultra drops to low 50's at times really showcases you that it's a hard game to run. The game was absolutely smooth through its entire playtime however ( i use gsync ) and frankly besides torch running in a sewer under a city the game felt extremely smooth throughout the entire game. Absolute no problems here. Still it was no 90 fps smoothness which i prefer for games these days. but its AC so what can you do really.

DX12 helps the game immense tho to keep the cpu taxation under control and heat not ramping up massively so that was a good decision.
less visual settings + reboot still in place when visual settings are changed which is kinda uff.

Booting the game up takes long because of loads of videos bloat they added towards the game but that can be removed as explained here : PC faster loading.

Guy or girl:

Guy: better then odyssey and i also would say origin
girl: don't know didn't play her even once.

I played as the guy and frankly the guy dumpstered all over the alexios in odyssey ( guy ). the voice was absolutely fantastic and never even felt like the need to switch. So honestly i can't tell if the girl is a better option or not because the guy was just perfect for me i didn't switch even once.

Controls:

Played it with keyboard mouse and frankly i had a lot of trouble getting used towards the controls as they shifted stuff around. ( i just played origin a month before valhalla so yea ). other than a aim bug that happens which prevents u from fast sniping mobs that rush at you which is now fixed the controls where solid i would say nothing special tho.

In general the controlling of the character is about the same besides combat controls which is a tad of a downgrade from odyssey, but that could be fixed with a patch or maybe its a bug. Because shooting with a predator bow was some terrible.

Map and progression:

In short : far better then origin and odyssey

The main issue odyssey and origin had was that the story was all the focus over the entire game, there wasn't really something u could do with small type of story's within a day or maybe two days and have the idea u move further. Because most people probably felt like they were in this void in odyssey that never progressed or felt like anything they did progressed the game much.

AC atlantis was a perfect solution on where the game should have gone which i also addressed in my review in that thread. Smaller story's that can be finished in a day for people that only takes multiple hours and a bunch of collectables and side quests and area's to explore that u can wrap up all in a single day so the next day u got something new again. They did this here and it's wonderful how they implemented it. It makes the game so much more enjoyable.

The splitting up maps was also a good idea because it creates for a different environment and pace or story u can pick up and drop whenever u want. I liked it a lot and hope they segment the map further in next AC games so maybe england gets split up in 2 different continents or even 3 like ireland + france with it ( i think they planned this but made them the dlc focus instead and just dropped more england content ).

Some extra thing about the map ingame specifically:

A thing i like to see however just some random thing is easier detectable borders, and a more colorful map some objectives where hard to see as result.

God map content:

Far worse than odyssey and origin and it sucks because its one of the main reasons i play these games.

Positive:

Its great to have it added in the base game and its just a cherry on top of what u already get delivered, the content in it is decent nothing special and the idea's it introduced was interesting and could really showcase u how nuts games can become.

Negative:

- To short, god area should have been a map more and at least double the content and story on each map and more time spend on the design of the area. it felt rushed and empty and straight up rushed because of it.
- With it being in the base game and ireland + france being the DLC this is probably all we get which means its far worse then what odyssey delivered unless they specifically make new god area's with those dlc's. but i highly doubt it.
- The things they introduced specially the last map was interesting and i would have loved to get another map that would go more nuts with this.
- The unique things
the light beam to get rid of walls but specially the magic in the second map that would shift reality's around where awsome would have loved to see more of this in a 3rd ap
- no new gear, no new weapons, no new skills nothing really made it a rushed project.
- last part
350 area for fenrir fight is kinda rough man, i was maxed out already for a while but dam i can see this being a problem for a lot of people
which means they where better off doing it like origin and odyssey and just move the content entirely to the end game.

America:

America was way to short, 2-3 hours content max if you 100% it also dumb ending. they should have scrapped 1-2 england maps and made it a bit more fully fletch. it now just felt like evertide island of botw. Nice addition however wish they spended a bit more time on it as it just felt like tagged on content for advertisement sake.

Architecture:

Worse then origin and odyssey, but understandable.

I am big on architecture in AC games, they are pretty much the best in the industry because of it. Sadly not much was found in valhalla but at the end the environments where absolutely stunning most of the time to the point i didn't mind it much. Its also a difficult thing to do with viking sage i guess so its understandable.

Environment:

Better then odyssey base game visually, worse than atlantis ( god areas ), origin had its own charm towards it so i would say on par with that but technical better then origin for sure.

Gorgeous really, norway is absolutely amazing looking, the same goes for large parts of england. the clouds that go wild in the sky with the light going over the landscapes is something to behold really. Way more vegetation etc then in odyssey and models + buildings really felt like a upgrade from current gen type of games. It feels way more dense on detail. The game really gives out even in norway and the start of england + the top area witcher 4 fibes.

Story:

U can see that a lot of reviewers really didn't do much effort in the game because they probably missed out on some ending material as u can clearly see in there reviews.

How the ending works in valhalla is:

U need to complete all of this to have a good idea what is going on as it all weaves into each other.

The ending consists out of
- settlement ending
- the order ending
- animus ending
- campaign ending
- main world ending
- god worlds ending

I must say the ending was beyond better then origin and odyssey in total and a good upgrade over it. I liked it a lot.

Campaign / map quests / side quests:

Far better then odyssey

I liked the setup here, a big campaign that gives you meaning to move forwards ( odyssey kinda lacked this feeling ), map quests short and to the point and side quests that feel meaningful and interesting. All of them are unique and frankly its leagues better then the older games specially odyssey.

I liked the characters in it, i liked the acting and i liked the smaller bit sized story's that always where interesting to see where it went. Some of it was brutal, some side quests where rough on the feelings while other were more fun. i like it.

Sound:

Norway great, music is good, raid music is great and environment was fantastic. England they scaled it a bit back on epicness and the music is kinda lacking there with they spended a bit more time on it. The boat music was also interesting and story's for norway but practically useless for england as you never sit on it.

Gear:

Lots to talk about here:

At the start of the game it feels like a big upgrade over odyssey. however that feeling changes the moment u get further which makes odyssey the better game on this.

In short worse then odyssey.

Positives:

- Less bloat as with odyssey u where basically drowning in gear pieces.
- more simpler to understand and easier to understand
- Not much difference in gear also easier to understand and easier to balance i guess.
- upgrades make the armor looks change for a few pieces, liked that so u feel like u move forwards.

Negatives:

- fixed locations for set pieces and weapons which can lock u out for a considerable time into a build if u don't encounter them. I had this issue with predator bow and 1 artimis piece.
- u can't upgrade just random pieces u find because u will be doa on materials for a main armor u want to create and fully upgrade later ( not enough materials )
- u cant swap armor sets for a different build because no materials for it
- gear feels worthless because honestly the bonus stats don't add much towards the mix, its almost purely skin related.
- 100% completing the game and only can upgrade 2 armor sets and 6 weapons ( 2x dual axe, 2x 2handed weapons, 1 bow and 1 mace ), in short way to less materials drops.
- all gems felt kinda useless minor enhancements that don't add much. odyssey had for example 25% health with 100% dmg mod i would have loved to see that.
- everything feels the samish, odyssey gear actually made different builds possible.
- can't transmog pieces, u want to be a archer 1 set of armor for you
- while upgrades looks changes the appearance, there is no way to see what it changes towards or if it changes at all. lots of pieces didn't change visually with upgrading which is kinda something they need to add for all pieces and also need to add a preview window so u can see it.

Not to big of a fan of the current system it needs some work for sure if not a overhaul for there next title again.

Materials:

Downgrade from odyssey

Titanium is far to hard to get and basically destroys upgrading year in any possible way or do different builds as i already explained in gear kinda. they need to boost the value or drop more in the world really. I got about 30k of each item now besides titanium that blocks me. the balance is way off and those materials are completely useless for anything else.

Also make crafting arrows etc possible again. I liked odyssey more here.

Skill gems or stuff u put in your armor:

All feel completely useless really, worse then odyssey where u could enchant your gear in noticable ways.

Skill tree and skills:

A complete mess and worse then origin and odyssey.

At the start u will basically just dump points everywhere to get the tree completely visible so u can actually see where u want to put your points into. because some skills are really good in it like the dual arrow attack which absolutely decimates everything in the game but good luck finding it in the tree. The skill increase damage nodes also felt kinda lackbusting and not much meaningful. And most of the skills in the tree where completely unused by me.

What should happen, go back to origin odyssey type of skill tree's so people can see where they wanna go into. With many skills also being bugged in the tree and u had to cover a lot of points into useless nodes to get further felt like just well thought out. It's need a overhaul completely.

levels:

Way to many levels, way to fast leveling. every single quest i need to go to my meaningless skill tree to put a point in there or two again. its not worse then odyssey or origin but frankly it's simple to much. prune the levels a bit or atleast the skill points. as there are
of them to give out which is way to much to the point they feel kinda meaningless after a while.

Ability's:

about on par with odyssey

frankly i used 1-2 bow ability and 1-2 melee ability throughout the entire game and frankly non of the ability's felt like they had much use besides those 3. I can't remember me using much ability's in odyssey or origin also. but in general it didn't find them much useful.

Builds + combat:

The big thing about odyssey why people liked it, but got butchered in valhalla.

Worse than odyssey, u could really make some funny and clever builds such as my bear build in odyssey or one shot raid boss builds. There is nothing like that. enchantments are also far worse in this game then odyssey for sure. It was disappointing to say the least. Which make replayability extremely limited over odyssey.

The combat also suffers because of this. because there are no high risk items lke 25% health reduction for 100% more dmg and the combat is basically just press alt whenever target becomes red and starts to do stuff. really not much towards it.

Finishers after a while also get annoying, its the same type of attack every time with your weapon and they take the control away from you in the meanwhile which makes it full clunky. they need to change this.

Settlement:

Great big plus point over the older games.

Positive:

- i like the base the idea and the setup for it. its something new and it adds towards the game i think
- Its nice to see another layer where u can focus on and distracts u from the england "grind" as u got something else to do
- the quests in the base are enjoyable and add towards the mix even while some of them are just shoehorned in there and it shows but other are actually pretty decent.
- i like the collectables and jobs u gotta do for those people its a upgrade over odyssey where u just had to travel to npc's on the map spread out that didn't really mean much towards you.
- i hope they expand on this in the next title.
- with new levels u get new content unlocked and some bonus stats which is a nice edition.
- biggest plus point however i found the map where u can make alliances, it feels like u are progressing and doing something meaningful and with the extra dialogue that happens and new people that arrive it feels like at all times there is something to do. I enjoyed it ( gives the game a extra level of interest)
- i like the mail thingy it keeps the other characters a bit in the loop of the game even while there is no more content with them and the little rewards u get out of it
- the map with ravandi or whatever she's called is well done, i liked it and it gives you a clear view of your progression.

Negatives:

- Majority of buildings are just houses that do nothing besides some meaningless stats
- House upgrades are not showcased or explained and do not give you any benefits which makes u feel like the game is just pissing your materials away for no benefit.
- different levels of your base doesn't feel like having a impact on anything or at least u don't know if it has really because its nowhere explained which basically means at some point u just really don't care for upgrading anymore.
- stable / shop have the same items that are shared with every other shop and stable in the game which makes them kinda useless largely.
- rewards from the order bureau or whatever its called same for museum and legendary animal collection is simple not much interesting.
- tatoo shop felt useless same for boat shop
- the black kid shop that is in ever newer ac games needs a redesign where u no longer wait for weekly's etc but actually make the shop half useful. i 100% the game basically which gave me a bit less then 400 opals which is basically 3 items which brings you nowhere. Also gotta wait on the weekly refresh to get something interesting. but they forget u are done with the game after 2-3 weeks and that's it. so yea redesign is drastically needed here.
- 95% of the rewards out of doing something for your settlement is a skin for something that u don't care about.
- barracks? no clue why they even exist and the champion never used it other then get my achievement out of it.

In short its a nice start but needs work.

Boats / mounts / raids:

So in short: boats are useless, raids with vikings are nothing but door/chest openers and mounts are simple the only transportation in england.

Transportation wise its the best the game ever had really because of mounts actually being able to swim now.

let me explain.

Boats are useless outside of norway, mounts are your main transportation and raids with boats is a nice concept but in reality completely useless. let me explain why.

Boats work in norway because u have large water area's to move over and not everywhere u got teleport points. England water ways are far to small and narrow to not cross it with your swimming horse in seconds. The fact u can't call up your viking boat at any water corner to make use of it kinda makes it completely useless in england which 80% of the game u will be sitting in.

So the only thing left is raids where u use the boat for right? not really. U will soon find out that your raiders are nothing more then chest and door openers as its way more easier to go in alone ( not through the water but by land ) and snipe every enemy unit from the rooftops within minutes to the point u sound the horn and your vikings will summon straight next toward you when u need to open a door or chest. and that's it done instead of having to deal with a bunch of npc's interrupting your fights with random hits that take forever.

Mounts honestly are the goat in this game and also because of swimming and faster movement speed ( ignore the wolf aggro ) its a good upgrade over the older games on this front, boats not so much.

I expected more from the raids and boats and frankly while the whole transportation system is a upgrade from past games the boat is nearly useless in the content they created. Maybe in ireland we will see more use of it.

Its kinda sad to see they have a video of u raiding a castle and ramming the front door and do massive battles while that simple is just 1 cutscene straight up just implemented in the game for the trailer i guess because it never even once returns lol.

Exploration:

I explored everything and found a house with a door that had the red lock behind it but no opening, u can by the way open doors like this if you cant find the entrance by just use the melee valkery dive skill ( that makes you jump and aoe's on the ground at the door for 1 energy point ) it will destroy the lock behind the door and u can open it. This was a room that had no other opening anywhere but still had 2 snakes a dead npc in there and some coins. Maybe something they canned or maybe the start of the future dlc's area i dunno.

Stuff like this i find interesting i always want to search for hidden stuff. I found two things however, one of which was in the deep dive trailer the other which was nowhere mentioned so it did reward me but only really 1 thing that wasn't known about in a huge game like this isn't particulaire spectaculaire. I wish they added extra things outside of dots on the map that u could find. i liked that in odyssey where u found a chest in the water for a weapon which the enchantment was really good and u could use now basically on your main weapon and get a massive boost in something. It feels worth it.

Wish they added a bit more attention towards it over odyssey,

legendary beasts / mythical bosses:

Downgrade from odyssey:

Straight up downgrade from odyssey, odyssey legendary beasts where insanely hard pretty much dark soul kind of hard. they where not easy at all. These legendary bosses are simple push overs and nothing really challenging.

Also odyssey had those beasts but also mythical boss fights, valhalla kinda tried to do the same i guess but simple on a worse level then odyssey
daughters of something those 3 mini bosses didn't had the same feeling as medusa for example or the horn guy in the cave or the big troll guy on the island.

Bosses in general:

About on par with odyssey on bosses maybe a bit more tricker in valhalla some fights at the end.

Zealot / mercenaries:

Upgrade over odyssey, they where in general a bit smarter but not by much and they didn't tunnel me endlessly whenever i started a fight somewhere which made direct combat in odyssey kinda rough. Wasn't a fan of it but they fixed it now. Sadly the moment when i started to do them they didn't felt like much of a threat anymore.

NPC uniqueness:

Lots of unique npc's with high detailed models, big upgrade from the same 10 models in odyssey u saw walking everywhere. They did however copy pasted the same models in crowd and at some dice games that i noticed with just a different beard or hair and called it a day so there is that. However steep upgrade from odyssey and even origin even while it never bothered me in origin.

Random npc's for quests where as far as i can remember all unique or else i never noticed it myself that there where copy past npc's placed in it.

Stealth:

Honestly the video from deep dive where u walk with a few priests into a city is kinda useless and badly made, just climb over the wall next towards it instead of waiting on some buggy priests that never really works well anyway. or just delete the 2 guards while u are at it. Stealth kinda felt simple not a thing really. U can however 1 shot everything with assassination tho there is even a option for it. frankly i rather shoot them ranged and be far faster done with it.

I would just straight up say stealth isn't much of a thing the moment u get into england anymore. norway had better stealth sections because u had to in order to not get destroyed as a low character on hardest mode.

So yea if you like stealth, this isn't the game for you i guess.

Animus:

So much better then odyssey and origin. the puzzles i really liked the model of the chick was absolutely horrible tho and a steep downgrade from the last series but it looks like that won't be a issue for the next game anymore it seems like. Still the puzzles where fun as i always like the puzzles

Extra content in the game like new quests and new things they introduced which also feature new mini games ( i will lump this together )

There are a bunch of new things to do from mini dungeons that are hidden to puzzles and frankly i liked them all. the stone piling can be really really hard in some later levels and kinda triggered me at times. the dice game was absolutely fantastic and the rhym battles or whatever they call it was also interesting. luckely they didn't enforce much drinking games because i kinda disliked those for sure.
The tattoo chasing gets old fast tho, so not a huge fan of that one but hey its something i guess.

So in short better then odyssey for sure.

100% it my experience versus origin and odyssey.

- Origin was great, a bit grindy at the end but doable. Enjoyed it
- Odyssey 100% just drove you to straight madness. Imagine completing valhalla in 60 hours then do another 80 grinding the same basises and quests over and over again. Its really bad.
- Valhalla felt absolutely fantastic all the way through, i had a dip at day 8 of my 15 day journey where i just wanted to progress mainly but the content started to get my attention back again and i moved forwards. I kinda still want more to do really with odyssey i was completely burned out.

Bugs:

While bugs are temporarily, the game is broken beyond believe at times ( first 40-50 hours i didn't experienced much bugs at all after that it became a clusterfuck daily of bugs. which makes you lose lots of progress or simple can't complete stuff entirely. Ubisoft needs to up there game and release PC patches far more faster then they currently do. nobody is going to care for a patch of this game that fixes something a month down the road as day one buyer.

It's a bad signal ubisoft sends to pc users and frankly i can see this cost them in the future a lot of sales by people simple waiting for a year until they buy into the game. even today 16 days after release u cannot 100% the game on PC no matter how hard u try because of it.

Personally i don't care about bugs on day one u can expect them and i understand that, but 16 days and no sight on when a bug is going to get fixed is simple not acceptable on PC its by far the worst PC after release support on patches] i ever saw.

End conclusion.

Best ac game of the 3 ( origin odyssey valhalla ), the package they delivered is unreal full of content and just a complete package all around. I just can't believe how much they packed into this game and how high quality most of the stuff is really. Its a huge step forwards from the other two even while some points it yields a bit behind like combat and builds but in general absolutely fantastic done and frankly i can't wait for the DLC"s to arrive.

ps

Didn't post pictures of area's and environments because for spoiler reasons so its actually a wall of text only for now. Maybe will update in the future.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like performance is better and more stable on PC since the patch, but I'm getting crashes for the first time after playing 45+ hours before the most recent patch. Hoping this won't become a consistent thing, but I've had 4 CTD's since the patch.

Can't see shit in these stupid cursed areas at night, with labyrinthine underground areas, traversal puzzles or enemies. I like the environmental storytelling but they need a fix. Next time I find one I'll just raise gamma on my screen. This is bullshit.
Funny how Roman artifacts turned out to be more unnerving than cursed areas. That sound when you collect them :messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed:

bati

Can't see shit in these stupid cursed areas at night, with labyrinthine underground areas, traversal puzzles or enemies. I like the environmental storytelling but they need a fix. Next time I find one I'll just raise gamma on my screen. This is bullshit.
Funny how Roman artifacts turned out to be more unnerving than cursed areas. That sound when you collect them :messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed:

I think something's off in later areas, I remember not having this issue in the early zones but after I started conquering England it has gotten progressively worse. I know I'm probably wrong because illumination and lighting are global settings but I can't ignore what my eyes are seeing. Or rather, are not seeing.

scalman

Over 84hrs , about 50% , power over 220. now did more main stuff but still left lots to explore as its not much is left to open so will e plore now those areas that are cleared allianced.
If patch gave more fps thats great but didint noticed anything bad before patch, but its good they doing patches. Heard legion runs better too.
So that Reda kinda became annoying tales teller , everytime i came back to my place hes now telling same story to bunch kids, hes have some new mission for me but o cant get it because hes allways telling story to kids about far far away some desert stuff. Maybe he tells about egypt or smt.
Sadly for now no more new weapons so for long time now stuck on same great swords. Would be nice to find more weapons in loot boxes
question can i do 100 or more hrs in AC game? well i think now i can, still have travel to that new area and finish asgard place, and then couple last areas in main map to cover and thats it i guess.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Took a bit of time to just take some shots yesterday. Still got Northumbria, Sussex and the South West region to uncover. The Asgrad and Jotunheim areas are awful.

data

data

data

data

data

data

cormack12

Gold Member
I consider Origins a must play.
Odyssey is good but it's bloated and a departure from typical assassin design. But it has good combat and abilities. Parkour is not as good imo.
Valhalla is a middle ground between Origins and Odyssey imo. Though it is 'weightier' like ACIII. Your Senu is nerfed in this one as well.

DonJimbo

I consider Origins a must play.
Odyssey is good but it's bloated and a departure from typical assassin design. But it has good combat and abilities. Parkour is not as good imo.
Valhalla is a middle ground between Origins and Odyssey imo. Though it is 'weightier' like ACIII. Your Senu is nerfed in this one as well.
Is Origins that Egyptian one ?
Will give it a try even the mechanics are completely different than the original ones

cormack12

Gold Member
Yeah, Origins is the first changeup in the series so when you've completed that in about 90 hours, if you descibe what you like we can probably say whether Odyseey is worth a play through or go straight to Valhalla. Origins didn't really click for me until about 12 hours, when I started travelling properly. You'll start off in Siwa, then eventually break otu the starting area for Alexandria - it was just after this that it clicked for me with the little villages along the river etc

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is Origins that Egyptian one ?
Will give it a try even the mechanics are completely different than the original ones
Origins is the best of the most recent 3. The gameplay isn't as good, but I find it has the best atmosphere and Egypt is far and away the best built map in all of them. The environments in Valhalla and Odyssey start to blend in after a while.

scalman

applause for devs to even do more stuff for Series S, i dont think other devs will care that much about it. and more mods the better, choose what you like most. becomes more like pc video settings and that is great. and you can clearly see what the price is for weaker console to have more fps. Imagine PS5 would have 2 diff consoles as well , just bad days for devs that would be , and then even more comparison videos lol.
i choose almost maxed settings on pc on 1080p and fps jumping around 30-50, just with lower shadows means medium and volumetric stuff in sky.just couldnt care less to go on lower setting for some fps. im kinda not sensitive that much on those fps rly. like its fine. its not online shooter.

Last edited:
Stumbled upon the Corpse Feeders village during a rainy night. The moment I walked into the boss arena...

yTrdhd4.gif

One of the London targets is a classic Assassin's Creed 1 scenario. Speaking of which, Origins and Valhalla are the only sequels that capture some of the magic of the Kingdom.

cormack12

Gold Member
Came across two legendary animals by accident - the

sow and wolf

They are like level 220 and I'm only 180. Really cant be bothered with the attrition at the moment so will return to them. I like the intro/arena music though, gets you hyped.

Top Bottom