• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC: Valhalla |OT| From Nordic runes to English ruins

THEAP99

Banned
Valhalla sounds good, but it also sounds like it needs a few patches.
yeah idk lol.. i have borderlands 3 to play through but i want more games for the next gen console. don't want to waste my time on old games cus they feel bland after playing through astros and spiderman mm..

i was thinking about getting sackboy but it's hard to justify 60 bucks for that and im sure it will go on sale sooner than later.. meanwhile im on edge in regards to ac v because it's native for ps5 and takes advantage of some features and people say it's like witcher 3, i like witcher 3. but i didn't like odyssey. also, cyberpunk i may just wait for the next gen patch

Last edited:

SinDelta

yeah idk lol.. i have borderlands 3 to play through but i want more games for the next gen console. don't want to waste my time on old games cus they feel bland after playing through astros and spiderman mm..

i was thinking about getting sackboy but it's hard to justify 60 bucks for that and im sure it will go on sale sooner than later.. meanwhile im on edge in regards to ac v because it's native for ps5 and takes advantage of some features and people say it's like witcher 3, i like witcher 3. but i didn't like odyssey. also, cyberpunk i may just wait for the next gen patch
Yeah, I don't think Valhalla, or most games for that matter ever reach the same league as Witcher 3. Still want to get it (patched and discounted.)

I would suggest waiting for more Valhalla patches, especially ones that fix the game/quest breaking bugs that have been mentioned in this thread, or waiting for the Cyberpunk 2077 release.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nah its like previous ac in terms gameplay if you so strict then you might not like it. Fighting much better for me in vahalla then witcher 3. And those controls in w3 omg. So depends.

Yeah, for all the complaints I have about the combat, I definitely don't think it's worse than The Witcher 3's.

mitchman

Gold Member
I'm so stupid. I thought I had to finish Jotunheim to pick up other quests, but turns out I could just check out the map and go to East Anglia. Gah.

PedanticJase

Neo Member
I’ve been playing this a lot and I’ve came across two massive bugs so far. Both related to fights , one fight the dude spawned dead and it wouldn’t let me out the arena. Another one happened when my auto finisher triggered on a boss. Again stuck in the arena. Pretty annoying but managed to fix by restarting the battles or choosing a different dialog option. I also think I’ve bugged a nudist side quest.

It’s disappointing but only because I’m enjoying the game so much otherwise.

I’d strongly suggest making manual saves in this game.

scalman

Yeah, for all the complaints I have about the combat, I definitely don't think it's worse than The Witcher 3's.
I mean w3 is worse for me. This just feels so satisfactory much better then odyssey, that was too arcady feel in weapons. Valhalla more slow feels weapon weight to it. Just more cool.

Starfield

I'd say valhalla is pretty unpolished but so far a lot more interesting and better crafted than odyssey. I really really hope they patch the audio though cus it's tough

While its true that AC Valhalla has TREMENDOUS Audio quality issues we know Ubisoft won't give a single fuck and will never patch it.

Denton

For me, Valhalla is still nowhere near Witcher 3's overall quality (specifically when it comes to writing and quest design), but at the same time it is the closest Ubisoft has gotten to date, and very enjoyable in its own right.
As for combat, I enjoy it in both games similarly (both played on PC, 60fps and Witcher with alternate setup), although ACV has the advantage of having many more weapons and movesets and options in general.

assassinscreedvalhall4wk8g.png

assassinscreedvalhallotjui.png

assassinscreedvalhallvzj1o.png

For me, Valhalla is still nowhere near Witcher 3's overall quality (specifically when it comes to writing and quest design), but at the same time it is the closest Ubisoft has gotten to date, and very enjoyable in its own right.
As for combat, I enjoy it in both games similarly (both played on PC, 60fps and Witcher with alternate setup), although ACV has the advantage of having many more weapons and movesets and options in general.

assassinscreedvalhall4wk8g.png

assassinscreedvalhallotjui.png

assassinscreedvalhallvzj1o.png

Very nice screenshots mate!

Night.Ninja

Banned
I'm really enjoying this game, I still need to figure out the skill tree though.

I love when the clouds move Infront of the sun looks soooo good.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
For the people playing on peasant Xbox One or Playstation 4, how does it run? some say the Xbox Series X version is all over the place with screen tearing, how do the "old" consoles hold up? not sure to wait or go for it.

bati

I can’t really put my finger on it. It just feels like the block/parry/dodge timing is off to me. It could be that I just haven’t fully adjusted to it yet.

Ah, I know what you mean. I think it's the slower swing speed for most enemies, and different attack speeds for different types of enemies (and weapons they use) that is throwing you off. Odyssey enemies felt more predictable in that regard.

Sleepwalker

Yeah I've played around 7 hours now on the XSX (with VRR, no tears whatsoever) and I really like this game. Didn't enjoy Odyssey at all.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ever since getting the dual wield heavy weapons ability and getting gud at parrying, I must say that I have really warmed to the combat. I'm with bati bati now in thinking it's probably better than Odyssey, although I still do miss some of the Abilities.

Södy

~ 20 hours in and have discovered half of the england map. Doing a lot of side quests (basically everything except the level 160 enemies) and have a lot of fun. That being said, some side quests are fun, some have a nice twist, some have nice puzzles. But the farther I get, the easier and dumber they seem. A lot of them now feel rushed and just there to have an icon on the map.

I absolutely love building these stone towers though.

cormack12

Gold Member
Ever since getting the dual wield heavy weapons ability and getting gud at parrying, I must say that I have really warmed to the combat. I'm with bati bati now in thinking it's probably better than Odyssey, although I still do miss some of the Abilities.

I think the problem is that when you have the seax or complementary axe, they don't work as a primary weapon in the off hand. It works as a different kind of weapon which sort of throws you. You lose all the speed and finesse, whereas a heavy weapon you're expecting a slower more measured attack so it 'feels right'. That's the only way I can describe it. Agree on abilities as well, something like the shield removal in Odyssey was fucking awesome. Here I'll be honest, I forget about them most of the time. Generally use leaping attack and Nornir arrows a lot and that's it.

data

data

data

TheStam

Second time my save messed up, first one was a data corruption issue, now it's a quest
in Asgard.. The quest with the Builder and the magic shieldwall or whatever where the Jotun dudes melt
that I can't progress. Thankfully I did some manual saves but lost quite a bit of progress, especially "map icon collecting activities", so it's really annoying.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Finished.

Overall I liked the atmosphere & OST of it, the art style they nailed as well. Everything else has been an absolute miss and undoubtedly worse by a large margin compared to Origins & Odyssey. I don't see any re-play value in this one and wouldn't do it again - but I'm very happy to revisit the other two from time to time. It's not bad if you bought a month of Uplay for it (and Legion), but fuck paying full price.

One thing that does give me hope though, with seeing all the roman structures around, I do think they're doing the next AC in Ancient Rome, and that's going to be on the next-gen engine as well. Let's hope they don't fuck it up!

Kenpachii

They need to patch these games more quicker. Its kinda sad that it takes them 2 weeks to create a patch really. Stop hoarding fixes up and simple release them when they are ready. not liking this streamlining patch data with all platforms. Its a joke.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They need to patch these games more quicker. Its kinda sad that it takes them 2 weeks to create a patch really. Stop hoarding fixes up and simple release them when they are ready. not liking this streamlining patch data with all platforms. Its a joke.

Since Origins they've been kind of treating the games as a live service. Expect monthly patches or so for the next year at least.

MastAndo

Gold Member
40 hours in, and if the alliance map is any indication, I think I'm only about halfway through. Good time for a break with the patch coming tomorrow, methinks.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I'd say valhalla is pretty unpolished but so far a lot more interesting and better crafted than odyssey. I really really hope they patch the audio though cus it's tough

The audio is horrible. I'm surprised it's really gone unaddressed in the state it's in. Eivor is crazy loud when he speaks, I literally can't hear any of the music in the game as it's so low and there aren't any proper adjustments in the settings. It's really bad. I was looking forward to the music as it's always been pretty good in the series in general, but I literally couldn't even hum a single song from this game, I just can't hear it. Like, it's Jesper Kyd, turn the shit up.

Last edited:

Exentryk

Hope they fix the weird bug where changing between input methods (KBM --> Gamepad and vice versa) causes the game to hitch for a second.
As a workaround, you can switch the control scheme to Xbox, and then map some keyboard key combinations you use regularly to the controller via some remapper application. This way you can still use both controller and keyboard, and not experience that hitch.

bati

I'm curious how the light/heavy attack damage bonuses will shift the balance between weapons once they are fixed. I've gotten my hands on
Excalibur
yesterday and went back to my flail immediately once I saw how much longer it took to kill the average enemy.

Man.. I'm the biggest graphics whore on the planet but I don't think I can go back to playing this with 30fps. Hopefully they didn't cut back the lod distance in performance mode because that's always the first thing they butcher. Every fucking time. Made me stop playing Origins, hated it in Odyssey and even more so in Days Gone( probably the worst offender in that regard).

Night.Ninja

Banned

You do realise the world is going through a pandemic and the majority of developers are working from home

Kenpachii

You do realise the world is going through a pandemic and the majority of developers are working from home

This has nothing to do with pandemic but everything to do with them hoarding up fixes to a certain date.
The fixes are made its just how they deploy it which is the dumb part about all of this.

What if this patch creates a new bug do we need to wait for 2 weeks again or this time a month? will people still play the game after that time? lol nope. Its a single player game with a fixed amount of content with no multiplayer aspects in it. The game only last u a couple of weeks at best if you are slow. Every single day one buyer of the game got fucked by this patch system on PC.

What if tommorow patch breaks something completely, which they could fix in a hot fix a few hours later? nope will be applied in the next patch guys just sit still and wait.

Look i play games already for ages on my PC and from a PC player perspective this patch system is borderline the worst i ever experienced.

The only one to blame for this is ubisoft, nothing holds them back to push patches whenever they want on there own platform. nothing.

Kenpachii

Anyway patch just released so go download it.

quest still bugged, camera still breaks the game. Gotta wait 2 more weeks i guess.

Last edited:

Denton

The audio is horrible. I'm surprised it's really gone unaddressed in the state it's in. Eivor is crazy loud when he speaks, I literally can't hear any of the music in the game as it's so low and there aren't any proper adjustments in the settings. It's really bad. I was looking forward to the music as it's always been pretty good in the series in general, but I literally couldn't even hum a single song from this game, I just can't hear it. Like, it's Jesper Kyd, turn the shit up.
Umm, what exactly is the problem with lowering down SFX volume and keeping music up? I can hear music perfectly fine and OST is one of my favourite things about Valhalla. Eivor is not talking too loud either (PC version here). I have no issues with the audio really.

kuncol02

Banned
What if this patch creates a new bug do we need to wait for 2 weeks again or this time a month? will people still play the game after that time? lol nope. Its a single player game with a fixed amount of content with no multiplayer aspects in it. The game only last u a couple of weeks at best if you are slow. Every single day one buyer of the game got fucked by this patch system on PC.
Before every patch they have to do full regression tests and certification from Sony and MS. You have even slight idea how much of work that is? Last week our test team estimated that tests of last project (which was 2 days of implementation) will take them around 45MD (and we have quite extensive unit and automatic test of that area to help them)

Exentryk

I can now turn off adaptive vsync as the patch seems to have fixed screen tearing.
Also, the hybrid controls now don't freeze the game, but the audio still cuts out for a second. Maybe they'll fix it fully in next patch.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
That's a raft of changes, be interesting getting used to them. I've only noticed tearing in two cut scenes. Got the patch before so will test it after lunch. Don't think I'll see major differences though.

Top Bottom