• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[4chan] id Software working closely with Bethesda to overhaul Starfield combat since last August

Lasha

The rumor piqued my interest. I think the combat looks abysmal. RPG combat looks really odd in a modern setting where the player is pouring bullets into man-sized targets. I'll probably check Starfield out if the combat is more interesting at release.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The rumor piqued my interest. I think the combat looks abysmal. RPG combat looks really odd in a modern setting where the player is pouring bullets into man-sized targets. I'll probably check Starfield out if the combat is more interesting at release.
It would look better if enemies had progressive gore and like pieces of armours that you can destroy on them, so even if you shoot at them for a long time you at least have a visual damage that helps with the sponginess.

DI2 did this very well because even the tanky enemies get progressive damage in their bodies and they feel less like sponges with a big health bar.

Horizon does something similar but those are machines and no humans so shooting a them for a bit is less ridicolous.

Lasha

It would look better if enemies had progressive gore and like pieces of armours that you can destroy on them, so even if you shoot at them for a long time you at least have a visual damage that helps with the sponginess.

DI2 did this very well because even the tanky enemies get progressive damage in their bodies and they feel less like sponges with a big health bar.

Horizon does something similar but those are machines and no humans so shooting a them for a bit is less ridicolous.

Totally. Some form of feedback other than just a healthbar. Especially if you can disable abilities or otherwise impair an enemy with skillful aiming like in Horizon.

DragonNCM

Wolfenstein new order had that future before 10 years.

Laptop1991

Yeah it was ok for bethesda standards (at least on pc, it felt really bad at 30 fps on console)
Yeah i bet, i used mods as well that would change and overhaul the gunplay, i don't know if the console's could, i never played vanilla of their games for long

Varteras

Gold Member
Who is whining? If you mean me then by definition so are you.
Hot Dog GIF by StickerGiant

GymWolf

Gold Member
Did you not want to try more, is this on console, xbox was better for mods i remember
No i was on pc but i usually don't like to install too many mods.

I'm not really a huge bethesda fanboy so i don't want to burn myself with f4 before starfield.

Laptop1991

No i was on pc but i usually don't like to install too many mods.

I'm not really a huge bethesda fanboy so i don't want to burn myself with f4 before starfield.
Fair enough, mods can go wrong as well and if you have too many, it can be a nightmare lol, the unofficial patch is a must for me for all their games

kyussman

I'm happy they want to make sure the shooting mechanics are solid......but I really hope shooting your weapon isn't going to be the way you resolve 99% of the quests as it was in Fallout 4,this is supposed to be an rpg with a dialogue system,please use it this time.

Thirty7ven

Banned
You know a killzone type of heavy and slower gunplay would work better in a game like Starfield than doom style.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
You know a killzone type of heavy and slower gunplay would work better in a game like Starfield than doom style.
Killzone gameplay don't even work in Killzone. There is reason why no one even really talk about that games anymore. They were absolutely terrible shooters with great graphics and interesting world.

This is a good thing! They’re doing everyting they can to make the game as great as possible. I love it!

Also I don’t think it’s the first time they’ve gotten help from id with gunplay.

Dr_Ifto

They helped with Redfall, so it looks like all available studios are helping get these things out the door. From the outside that makes it look like things are not going well behind the scenes, though other studios do this too. SSM pulled in a lot for GOW:R.

Ill reserve judgement for when the game finally ships.

skit_data

Would be sad to see iD software and The Coalition turn in to support studios which primary task is putting out fires due to other studios technical issues but it almost starts to sound like that at times

Drizzlehell

Banned
a-surprise-to-be-sure-star-wars.gif

That sounds really promising, I'm curious to see what they will cook up. Bethesda's combat was always penis, and the gameplay videos made it look like just more of the same shit that we had in Fallout 4 so now I'm really stoked about it.

A huge part of why Rage 2 was an enjoyable game in the first place is because id helped on its combat too.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I suppose they could bring in some combat designers from id to look at things like weapon feedback, recoil, etc., and to be fair that can have a major impact on how the game feels to play, but it is minor tweaks more than anything, definitely not an "overhaul." In the end this is still a Gamebryo game that is doing its own thing that is totally different from anything id ever did.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Well, aside from any timing impacts, that's a good thing. I like id's gunplay. And what I've seen combat-wise, it looks good.

Now release date and quality upon release....😬

ClosBSAS

No, it's 100% bullshit. From said way back then that there would be more Elden Ring and considering every Souls games and Bloodborne had a DLC, we all knew one for Elden Ring would come, especially given the loose plot points such as Godwyn and Miquella (and surprise, Miquella is on the promo art). Furthermore, they also said the DLC would be showcased at an event like 2-3 days before and it turns out it was garbage. From announced it in a random tweet.

Bloodborne port is bullshit because everyone and their dog has at one point said it would be coming. Jaffe said "we all know a Bloodborne port or remaster is coming". It's not some inside info, he's just saying something he thinks is obvious.

I should comb all the rumors that we posted here that came from 4chan. 90% are straight up wrong.
and theres still a achanve of 10% being real...so enjoy it. why do you care if we put a thread about them or not? just click ignore..they are fun to talk about.

Last August? That's over 3 months before the original release date before the delay.

Then we really have no clue what the game looks like now it's probably going to be radically different from that Demo they showed last summer.

Last August? That's over 3 months before the original release date before the delay.

Then we really have no clue what the game looks like now it's probably going to be radically different from that Demo they showed last summer.
It really isn't different at all in appearance from what you saw last summer.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
If it’s delayed it’ll be to end of this year . Microsoft has all hope lying on this game at this point, and they have the starfield direct incoming.

Honestly what they showed back a year ago was good. Just needed 60 fps.

It’s my most anticipated game.
They should delay it if necessary. I mean it will be hilarious and embarassing as fuck for them, but it would be even more embarassing to release a 1st party technical disaster after redfall. Delay it to next year, line up forza as your other big game this year, place some smaller indie and aa games around it. Even if starfield gets pushed, at least you can say “well at least they had hifi rush and forza this year”. Is that an amazing year? No, but its better than having one of your biggest games of all time be a buggy unfinished mess

Del_X

Boom!

Fun Yes GIF by Lilly Singh

Pray this is real and this is what ms/Bethesda should be doing. Lean on those studios to help each other.

This should have happened with redfall, too.
This can't happen with every game and redfall probably wasn't an IP or investment worth diverting additional resources to.

EDIT: oh wait, they did and it didn't help 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
4chan should be straight up a banned source. It's a message board with anonymous posters. Why the fuck do we care what they say?

They claimed the Elden Ring DLC would he announced way before it did and got the name wrong calling it Bane of Disputant. They claimed a Bloodborne port was coming and that was bullshit. Almost everything that comes out of that place is a bunch of horseshit so why do we even bother posting crap from there?
This fuck 4chan

Top Bottom