• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[4chan] id Software working closely with Bethesda to overhaul Starfield combat since last August

Akuji

id Software has the single best shooter gameplay for single player content. They could help push Starfield onto the next level. Really hope this is real. Probably not gonna play Starfield but i want a extremly good game for Team Green to show Phil that big games ARE what the NEED.
We need competition for high caliber games.

LmOTMTp.jpg

Solidus_T

Believing a 4chan rumor is just setting yourself up for disappointment. I would have been playing the Elden Ring DLC if 4chan was legit

Juza

Nothing really new, id Software has been working on improving shooting experience in Bethesda games since Fallout 4.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
If it’s delayed it’ll be to end of this year . Microsoft has all hope lying on this game at this point, and they have the starfield direct incoming.

Honestly what they showed back a year ago was good. Just needed 60 fps.

It’s my most anticipated game.

lem0n

Any sort of "overhaul" this late in the development cycle isn't my favorite thing ever but I'm sure the game will benefit from it. I have a high tolerance for Bethesda jank but I still worry about this. Really Starfield and GTA VI are the only games I really give a shit about right now.

4chan should be straight up a banned source. It's a message board with anonymous posters. Why the fuck do we care what they say?

They claimed the Elden Ring DLC would he announced way before it did and got the name wrong calling it Bane of Disputant. They claimed a Bloodborne port was coming and that was bullshit. Almost everything that comes out of that place is a bunch of horseshit so why do we even bother posting crap from there?
4CHAN RUMOR

IT'S NOT REAL
a /v/tard is not a real source

Such strong stances. This thread will either age amazingly or terribly. Even with 4chan it’s usually a 50/50 chance.

Remember, all those rumors of Sega projects leaked there too. So if you want them to always be wrong, that means no new Crazy Taxi or Jet Set Radio projects 🤷‍♂️

Lasha

Such strong stances. This thread will either age amazingly or terribly. Even with 4chan it’s usually a 50/50 chance.

Remember, all those rumors of Sega projects leaked there too. So if you want them to always be wrong, that means no new Crazy Taxi or Jet Set Radio projects 🤷‍♂️

The validity of 4chan on gaf is directly proportional to how much the news benefits Sony.

Last edited:
Meh. Bethesda already has good combat and shooting mechanics with their previous games.
I'm sure they wouldn't be adverse to getting it even better from one of the best in the buisness, but that's about it.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Last edited:
s90WQBM.jpg

pardox indeed.

The conversation around this game is going to be rough and somewhat unfair.

we all know bethesda has never made a polished game nor excel in smooth gameplay, in fact; jank and Behtesda go hand in hand.

So, i hope the redfall situation dosen't scare Xbox/Bethesda and push them into a forced error trying to fix something "unfixable".

Firstly, wasnt this the exact same thing that happened for RedFall? How did that pan out.

2nd - I did some work on Starfield since August. Can confirm this is not true. You also wouldn't be able to completely overhaul a combat system in a game like that in a year.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Firstly, wasnt this the exact same thing that happened for RedFall? How did that pan out.

2nd - I did some work on Starfield since August.
Can confirm this is not true. You also wouldn't be able to completely overhaul a combat system in a game like that in a year.
Wait are you a dev on the game or am I somehow reading this wrong?

Tango Gameworks helped them with the scary creatures and there’s this one planet with Nazi’s on it, luckily Machinegames was available to give them a hand with that…

Riky

$MSFT
Good news if true, obviously being helped by the best in the business can only be a good thing.

ZehDon

Considering I found myself not liking Doom Eternal, if this is true, not sure how I feel about that.

[/URL][/URL]
I'm not the biggest DOOM Eternal fan either, but that's mostly for the overcomplexity it forced into the combat loop (weapon hot swapping, at-speed verticality, ammo economy, litany of activatables) as opposed to the nuts-and-bolts gunplay. In terms of weapon feedback, gun handling, model positioning and sizing, and so on, DOOM Eternal is pretty solid, mostly because DOOM 2016 nailed these aspects already. Even RAGE, which is my least favourite id game by far, still has pretty solid gunplay.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
This as well ^, while Fallout 4 wasn't a good RPG, the gunplay was one of the best thing's about the game, and better than New Vegas and Fallout 3's gunplay.
Really not hard to achieve tbh, those games were an extremely low bar gunplay wise.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Bungie helped with Fallout 4, I don't think it is a very meaningful contribution and personally I don't expect a Bethesda game to have amazing combat, I am here for the world and the exploration anyway.

Top Bottom