• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Closes Redfall Developer Arkane Austin, HiFi Rush Developer Tango Gameworks, and More in Devastating Cuts at Bethesda

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I’m sure she’s a lovely lady but MS is 100% throwing her under the bus here, she’s the new fall guy/girl and Phil managed to dodge away, she looks crushed, sighing to answer every question. These decisions are likely not coming from her. Maybe Satya has said that they need to find the money, fast, or they will close down the whole gaming division, and everyone who’re in between projects are suddenly potential targets.

Let’s give this ‘poor executives’ stuff a rest, eh?

She’s as fucking guilty for this shit show as Phil.

A lot of you still can’t believe the people at Xbox are the greedy evil fucks doing this.

They are. They are on board with everything that’s happening.

FewRope

A lot of you still can’t believe the people at Xbox are the greedy evil fucks doing this.

They are not even human to me, every life they have fucked up is just a number for then. Dont give then the empathy they lacked to their own employees

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
GNIvZDpXYAAxGeU

*reports screenshot*

We have been saying this for years, but Xbox guys on this forum said we were doom and gloom posting. lol.

If we can see it then just imagine what they're thinking behind the scenes at Xbox.

Fredrik

Okay fine but she’s been the head of Xbox since October, half a year. I just have trouble thinking that she’s already calling the shots on big stuff like this, unless she was put in that position just to literally clean out all the things not raking in enough money.
Personally I think it’s either Phil or Matt Booty, or as I said Satya with a blow torch and an ultimatum to do something or close it all down.

Last edited:
Where are all the goofballs that were cheering for these “pRo-cONsUMeR” acquisitions lol, you absolute fucking clowns

Nowhere to be found. Don't even seem to be on Site Purple or they've since changed their tune.

The amount of damage that Xbox has been able to do to themselves in the last couple of days is astounding.

I thought the whole "games going somewhere else" debacle, wherein they let speculation and rumors run rampant for what? Almost 2 weeks or so? I thought that was absolutely absurd, but here we are. Oh, and the response about that finally was a word salad just like Bond on Tango

Now it's just a shitshow. Talking about raising Game Pass price in an era of inflation, where customers are already balking at prices, particularly in subscription services.

Now you want to raise prices when your growth isn't even there? Yikes.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
The correct answer is that while Hi Fi Rush was good, she thinks Tango wouldn't be sustainable for them to run in the long term.

Ghostwire was a flop, Hi Fi Rush was a commercial flop and it doesn't sell on PS5 either. And Mikami left earlier. They probably can't see Tango producing a hit game for them that offsets the cost of running that studio. Layoffs happen everywhere right now, but this one contradicts the praise Hi Fi Rush got when it arrived on GP, which makes it hard for Sarah Bond to come up with a straight answer.
You sadly are omiting a few details that change the situation pretty drastically. Ghostwire was made with Sony so unless the deal was shit( and I doubt it because Sony and Bethesda made another for Deathloop and could have made another for Starfield if the rumors are true) it payed for itself.
Hi fi rush had a plan when Xbox got control of the studio. Another exclusivity with Sony, who pushed Deathloop hard and could have done the same with it, and could use it as a showcase for the dualsense? A multiplatform game , that could have launched in PS5, Switch and even maybe the PS4 and Xbox One? A deal to put it on Gamepass/PS + after a few months to a year?

As you can see quite a few options that Xbox did not do, some of them for obvious reasons of course. But whay they did is as much if not more responsible for Hi Fi Rush lack of success as the game itself was.

Killing the studio for self inflicted wounds is not the "correct" answer. Nor for me at least. Do you really believe that Tango can't make a game that can't sell enough to be profitable, even barely? Or did Xbox made the calculus that they needed money now and did not want to wait? They have been clear that they want to focus on big IP, that can have the biggest returns.

Gambit2483

You sadly are omiting a few details that change the situation pretty drastically. Ghostwire was made with Sony so unless the deal was shit( and I doubt it because Sony and Bethesda made another for Deathloop and could have made another for Starfield if the rumors are true) it payed for itself.
Hi fi rush had a plan when Xbox got control of the studio. Another exclusivity with Sony, who pushed Deathloop hard and could have done the same with it, and could use it as a showcase for the dualsense? A multiplatform game , that could have launched in PS5, Switch and even maybe the PS4 and Xbox One? A deal to put it on Gamepass/PS + after a few months to a year?

As you can see quite a few options that Xbox did not do, some of them for obvious reasons of course. But whay they did is as much if not more responsible for Hi Fi Rush lack of success as the game itself was.

Killing the studio for self inflicted wounds is not the "correct" answer. Nor for me at least. Do you really believe that Tango can't make a game that can't sell enough to be profitable, even barely? Or did Xbox made the calculus that they needed money now and did not want to wait? They have been clear that they want to focus on big IP, that can have the biggest returns.
I think Hi-fi Rush could have been a major breakout success (financially) had it been released on Switch. Such a shame we may never get to see now.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I think Hi-fi Rush could have been a major breakout success (financially) had it been released on Switch. Such a shame we may never get to see now.
With the proper marketing and without gamepass it could have been a success even on Xbox/Pc ... expecting financial success from shadowdropped small games that DONT HAVE TO SELL to be played is ludicrous. Bat shit insane.

I know I risk being banned ... but Sarah Bond is the definition of a diversity hire. Sorry but it is the truth.
I hate woke politics, but I think we just don't have any real evidence to claim this kind of thing. It's hard to point out any positives are negatives she's brought to the company, or how she climbed up to her current position. I do think she would run things just like Phil if she ever took over, though, so if she's a continuation of that, I'm not excited about it. She's clearly been groomed for the position.

Unknown?

Papa Phil thought that Gamepass would be a success due to amazing, next-gen, totally not niche titles like Pentiment - the GOTY from 2022 to all eternity (that's what green GAF told me).

That game amongst others is totally the reason why people spend 500 Eurodollars for a console - and in this case - the world's most powerful one.

Fucking Phil man, what a good guy, a friend to the gamers all around the world, cause, in the end, when we all play we all win.
They got people to hype gamepass up for its Day One 1st party exclusives! What they forgot to mention was those were few and far between so the bullet point adds very little real value.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I hate woke politics, but I think we just don't have any real evidence to claim this kind of thing. It's hard to point out any positives are negatives she's brought to the company, or how she climbed up to her current position. I do think she would run things just like Phil if she ever took over, though, so if she's a continuation of that, I'm not excited about it. She's clearly been groomed for the position.
Thats fair.. cant argue with your points... but if I had to tick a box and bet my life... I know what box I would check.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Kind of on topic

For people without twitter:

Happy Friday. People have asked me what I think about the Xbox strategy and all this press. Publications have asked me questions about Xbox. I 100% love Xbox and think Xbox can find a path to great success for their teams and players around the world. 100%. 110%!

To answer some questions: Xbox has always been accountable for its business. Even when it was small, or in the red, pressure exists and always will. I see some articles today with anonymous ex-Xbox'ers talking about the Board....I don't see this as "the Board" doing something different. It's not the function of a Board to be operators that dictate to business units and teams what to do day to day. Sure, pressure and stakes are always high and only get higher as you grow. I've never seen Satya dictate something top down - he questions and pushes but empowers his teams. He is a fantastic leader.

The idea of 'the market isn't growing' is a PR excuse. As a team, it's your job to drive your own growth even if the overall market isn't growing at the anticipated rate. I think it's more 'the strategy isn't working as expected'. Which is OK - strategies have to continually shift in a market that moves as fast as gaming does.

I'll say again, this all comes down to making great games. If you make great games, consumer demand will follow and your business can do well even in low market growth years. A great game is a $500M-1B+ profit generator for the business (across platforms). Given the size of Studios, you need to get to a world where a few of the teams are delivering against this at the right cadence (you don't need all your Studios doing big, huge games... and shouldn't as the risk profile is too large). After all, your install base is big right now given where we are in this console generation (and of course big on PC as well) so the opportunity exists for success.

If you aren't making great games then your hardware isn't selling, and your subscription is flatlining .... the clarity of strategy or execution is broken somewhere and needs to be fixed inclusive of ensuring leadership and team capability to drive great game development and growth. They 100% have teams who can make great games. It just isn't consistently happening.

I see two paths here: If your North Star is the Game Pass subscription, you have to take that exclusive to your services and HW and be all in across games, HW, and services in an exclusive 'go big' plan. Pumping regular 90+ rated games into this will drive consumer affinity and satisfaction. That said, it is high risk/high reward and takes a strong desire to win. If you're not willing to do that, then you're on another path: you're a Publisher across all devices and you need to embrace that 100% and be clear (likely means out of HW, I fundamentally believe if you don't have great exclusive content your HW is doomed as people won't understand 'why' they need it.). Being the world's largest publisher of games is a great spot to be in - as long as you can make great games. If you can't, you'll be right back where you started. You have the pick your lane and go hard at it for success, with clear communication to your players. If you play in the middle of these two paths, IMHO you'll hurt your teams and you'll have constant churn and chaos.

It starts and ends with a strong desire to win and making great games that exceed player expectations. That is what is fragile now and needs to be addressed as soon as possible. These are all hard decisions, it's certainly no easy task given where things stand today, and both paths have dramatic implications. But I fundamentally believe in Xbox, its fans, and the opportunity ahead for great HW, services, and games OR as a publisher of games and services across any screen.

I'm cheering for Xbox and it pains me to see all the negative swirl. So for those asking, keep the faith in Xbox but ask for clarity on what the path forward is for the brand and product. Then make your own decision on what is best for you and your valuable time and money.

For those who think I'm one of the people talking to publications anonymously about Xbox, I am not. I was not a founding member of Xbox and I think by now you all know I won't be 'anonymous' if I have something to say .

These are just my opinions. This is the last I will talk about this here on X. It's easy to say what you think when you're not in the trenches living the reality of the challenges. I wish great success for Xbox now and into the future - it's good for gaming overall and I care deeply for Blizzard who is now part of the Xbox team.

I don't agree with all of it, but I agree with much of it. What I bolded is particularly interesting because it goes directly against what Phil and Sarah have said (in the case of Sarah, as recently as yesterday in that disasterclass of an interview with Bloomberg). I get the feeling that he's willing to take full accountability and do what's necessary to fix things, even if it might mean tough times, whereas the rest of them seem to like making excuses for themselves and pointing the finger at external factors which are out of their control.

All in all, having read that, it becomes abundantly clear why he ended up leaving (or was let go). He doesn't strike me as a "yes" man.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
For people without twitter:

I don't agree with all of it, but I agree with much of it. What I bolded is particularly interesting because it goes directly against what Phil and Sarah have said (in the case of Sarah, as recently as yesterday in that disasterclass of an interview with Bloomberg). I get the feeling that he's willing to take full accountability and do what's necessary to fix things, even if it might mean tough times, whereas the rest of them seem to like making excuses for themselves.

All in all, having read that, it becomes abundantly clear why he ended up leaving (or was let go). He doesn't strike me as a "yes" man.
He wasn't a yes man kind of guy, him and Phil had disagreements often and Ybarra didn't care if he made people mad to stand his ground (and likely why he isn't employed atm under that umbrella)

I hate woke politics, but I think we just don't have any real evidence to claim this kind of thing. It's hard to point out any positives are negatives she's brought to the company, or how she climbed up to her current position.

It's very simple. What are her merits? what's her gaming background?

If the answer is none, it's a diversity hire by definition. Her only merit is belonging to a certain demographic group, nothing else.

Somebody in charge of a gaming brand should have a track record in the core business, otherwise, it's an intruder, either for nepotism or other reasons like diversity.

Meicyn

Gold Member

If the answer is none, it's a diversity hire by definition. Her only merit is belonging to a certain demographic group, nothing else.
You know what’s even simpler? Googling her merits. Not as simple as ranting about DEI hires or whatever, I guess.

She is an economics major who graduated from Yale and she has an MBA from Harvard. She worked directly under John Legere, helping turn T-Mobile from the laughingstock of the four major cellphone companies in the US to putting all their competitors into defense mode. Note that the success was strong enough that T-mobile ended up swallowing up Sprint, and now there are only three major cellphone companies.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Look at them gleefully smug asses

All they can think about is $1 games
Xbox diehards are weird. Console warriors in general are too but with Xbox diehards, it's like they still approach the modern era as if the 360 is still a thing and there's some kind of legitimate/interesting console competition.

Xbox is a gadfly. They serve no function outside of antagonizing the industry as a whole, they don't offer anything to the gaming world. It's just so bizarre to me that people rally for them.

Last edited:

Klayzer

Xbox diehards are weird. Console warriors in general are too but with Xbox diehards, it's like they still approach the modern era as if the 360 is still a thing and there's some kind of legitimate/interesting console competition.

Xbox is a gadfly. They serve no function outside of antagonizing the industry as a whole, they don't offer anything to the gaming world. It's just so bizarre to me that people rally for them.
Can I sell you on some Gamespass stock.

Darsxx82

He wasn't a yes man kind of guy, him and Phil had disagreements often and Ybarra didn't care if he made people mad to stand his ground (and likely why he isn't employed atm under that umbrella)
After reading Ybarra's statements and opinion, I can only recognize you because those words clearly express the sensations that you have been filtering/pointing out for some time now about the reality of XBOX and also Ybarra's role during the time that has been linked to XBOX in one way or another.

If I'm wrong, you can correct me, but I think I remember that you once told us how Ybarra and Spencer often clashed in opinions about the best strategy for XBOX. That Ybarra was "more radical" when it came to betting heavily on promoting hardware, acquisitions, exclusives and large AAA project and that this would boost hardware sales and the XBOX ecosystem and subscriptions. That sometimes it was better to expand the user base and not make money but create a base of loyal users....... Well, these statements today are 1:1 with those impressions.

Regarding the same statements, it is as simple as what is described. If you want to be successful in this industry you have to be clear about what you do, that people care about your idea and be serious about it. Games are what sell hardware and subscriptions.

Somebody in charge of a gaming brand should have a track record in the core business, otherwise, it's an intruder, either for nepotism or other reasons like diversity.
What a fucking joke of a comment this is.

Have you even looked into her career background and her education other than literally going she's "from a certain demographic group."?
If you did would know her background as an economics major, who under John Legere turned T-mobile in the USA from the joke of the cellphone industry to the position of buying out Sprint, one of the top 3. Did her education not related to building the cellphone directly affect her ability to her job there?

Her gaming background? What the fuck does her gaming background have to do with her job? - She says she plays videogames. Does she need to code the games or manufacture the disc's for her to be viable?
Does your gaming habits have anything to do with your job?
Did you get a degree from clown college to make these kind of joke statements? - Is this your track record?

For the record, based on a quick linkedin lookup, she sits on on several boards for quite some time now, that have to do with entertainment, video games, digital arts and more- several of which aim for the preservation, creation and advocating of these mediums. I think that alone gives her enough of "track record" validity.

Considering all the shit Phil Spencer is getting, and he has only experience working in Microsoft's gaming division means your comment about having a track record means absolutely nothing.

You literally did no research, and went straight to "its because of her being from a demographic" - At least have the balls to say its because she's black or a woman or both. You've said this constantly in other threads - "what do you expect from a diversity hire?"

At least have the conviction in your racist or sexist beliefs with proof without just dropping the "its because of DEI" narrative. You couldnt even back up your statement without waffling on - oh its either nepotism or diversity.

For a second, lets ignore MS's failings for a second here. Weirdo's like you keep equating success and failure in this industry and more with "DEI". People that play AND make \video games have always come from various backgrounds and cultural experiences. Ignoring these "diverse" people when successfull and scapegoating them in failure isnt the win you think it is- It's weak minded, and if anything it only panders to the other weakminded.

Be Better.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member

Have you even looked into her career background and her education other than literally going she's "from a certain demographic group."?
If you did would know her background as an economics major, who under John Legere turned T-mobile in the USA from the joke of the cellphone industry to the position of buying out Sprint, one of the top 3. Did her education not related to building the cellphone directly affect her ability to her job there?

Her gaming background? What the fuck does her gaming background have to do with her job? - She says she plays videogames. Does she need to code the games or manufacture the disc's for her to be viable?
Did you get a degree from clown college to make these kind of joke statements? - Is this your track record?

For the record, based on a quick linkedin lookup, she sits on on several boards for quite some time now, that have to do with entertainment, video games, digital arts and more- several of which aim for the preservation, creation and advocating of these mediums. I think that alone gives her enough of "track record" validity.

Considering all the shit Phil Spencer is getting, and he has only experience working in Microsoft's gaming division means your comment about having a track record means absolutely nothing.

You literally did no research, and went straight to "its because of her being from a demographic" - At least have the balls to say its because she's black or a woman or both. You've said this constantly in other threads - "what do you expect from a diversity hire?"

At least have the conviction in your racist or sexist beliefs with proof without just dropping the "its because of DEI" narrative.
With full disrespect, you cant even back up your statement without waffling on - oh its either nepotism or diversity.
To be fair. Sitting on boards and graduating from Yale/Harvard kind signals that you're likely incompetent and possibly got a boost in status due to skin color. I don't make the rules, you can base these things on what these ivy league universities say themselves.

Her own words/actions at Xbox show that she has no integrity and is incompetent.

To be fair. Sitting on boards and graduating from Yale/Harvard kind signals that you're likely incompetent and possibly got a boost in status due to skin color. I don't make the rules, you can base these things on what these ivy league universities say themselves.

Her own words/actions at Xbox show that she has no integrity and is incompetent.
Except she didnt just graduate from harvard and go into these boards, nor did she become President overnight.

She's worked her way up from entry/analyst roles to where she is. She joined these boards before she was President of Xbox.

For the record: Her position on these boards are as a member- not a BLACK member or FEMALE member. Its just member.
Why cant a POC work/participate in these roles without someone reducing their role as some sort of token participation. Why cant i just say "all those white members are shit" - how has one or two "diversity" additions suddenly the focus when theres issues? I mean by all means - they are just there for show right? why are they ignored in the good times, but blamed on the bad times.

I dont have anything to touch on integrity as a) thats subjective. Higher up management always have more info than those outside of their actions. Maybe yes- maybe no.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Except she didnt just graduate from harvard and go into these boards, nor did she become President overnight.

She's worked her way up from entry/analyst roles to where she is. She joined these boards before she was President of Xbox.

For the record: Her position on these boards are as a member- not a BLACK member or FEMALE member. Its just member.
Why cant a POC work/participate in these roles without someone reducing their role as some sort of token participation. Why cant i just say "all those white members are shit" - how has one or two "diversity" additions suddenly the focus when theres issues? I mean by all means - they are just there for show right? why are they ignored in the good times, but blamed on the bad times.
I dunno. I didn't make the DEI rules, nor do I agree with them. All I know is that DEI is a thing and the term 'diversity hire' was invented by companies who said they wanted diversity hires.

If someone see an exec who is praised for being "the first black Xbox president", and who shows herself to be a complete hypocrite and incompetent, it makes sense for someone to call them a diversity hire. Hell, even MS is all-in with diversity hires. They've made that loud and clear.

It's one of those things where's it's a good thing and supposed to be championed until the results are bad and then you're not supposed to bring it up because focusing on skin color is bad. I agree that focusing on skin color is bad but again, I didn't make the current rules. I can only view it from the outside and notice that none of it makes sense.

Now if someone was dropping the N bomb and shit like that, I'd be right there with you and so would the rest of Gaf. My main point is that the term 'diversity hire' is fair game, it doesn't imply racism. It's just people calling out incompetence by inverting the original intention of 'diversity hires'

Cheers! 🤝🍻

Klayzer

At least have the conviction in your racist or sexist beliefs with proof without just dropping the "its because of DEI" narrative. You couldnt even back up your statement without waffling on - oh its either nepotism or diversity.

For a second, lets ignore MS's failings for a second here. Weirdo's like you keep equating success and failure in this industry and more with "DEI". People that play AND make \video games have always come from various backgrounds and cultural experiences. Ignoring these "diverse" people when successfull and scapegoating them in failure isnt the win you think it is- It's weak minded, and if anything it only panders to the other weakminded.

Be Better.
Got damm, that was a textbook bitchslap.

If someone see an exec who is praised for being "the first black Xbox president", and who shows herself to be a complete hypocrite and incompetent, it makes sense for someone to call them a diversity hire. Hell, even MS is all-in with diversity hires. They've made that loud and clear.

I'd agree except I thought the same about Phil and he's clearly not a diversity hire. So at this point I just blame MS from the top down and how they run their gaming division.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'd agree except I thought the same about Phil and he's clearly not a diversity hire. So at this point I just blame MS from the top down and how they run their gaming division.
Agreed. I was mostly just playing devil's advocate because the guy implied such and such was being racist. I have no desire or intention to get further into that kind of discussion 😅.

No ill will whatsoever to the person I was replying to.

Crayon

I’m sure she’s a lovely lady but MS is 100% throwing her under the bus here, she’s the new fall guy/girl and Phil managed to dodge away, she looks crushed, sighing to answer every question. These decisions are likely not coming from her. Maybe Satya has said that they need to find the money, fast, or they will close down the whole gaming division, and everyone who’re in between projects are suddenly potential targets.

I've thought about this myself. It's LOOKS like they are trying to preserve phil's legacy as fans will be back on his nuts a couple weeks after anything bad happens. This is only a test of their faith. We'll have to see down the road if the narrative is she and matrick killed xbox, while phil did everything right in between.

Not trying to kick a hornet's nest here, but there is vehement disagreement about who was at fault for sega's exit. So history isn't settled there 20 years hence. This could be the same.

Agreed. I was mostly just playing devil's advocate because the guy implied such and such was being racist. I have no desire or intention to get further into that kind of discussion 😅.

No ill will whatsoever to the person I was replying to.
Apologies- i was not trying to imply that you were being racist. I was just equating being told someone being member on a board was primarily due to their skin color. I meant to only indicate that her position is simply member- Not POC Member and what not.

No ill-will here either.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Be Better.

Will Smith Best Gif GIF

fart town usa

Gold Member
Apologies- i was not trying to imply that you were being racist. I was just equating being told someone being member on a board was primarily due to their skin color. I meant to only indicate that her position is simply member- Not POC Member and what not.

No ill-will here either.
Nooo! I didn't take it at all that you were saying that about me. No worries at all.

I have a poli sci degree so sometimes I insert myself into things I should just stay out of. Lol.

It's all love brother!

Top Bottom