• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2023 GOTY will be The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - or will it?

Can anything beat ToTK?

• No chance

• .....Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mozzarella

I have a feeling Starfield will win this year.
In alternative choice i think Final Fantasy 16 or Resident Evil 4 Remake will win.

Its between those 3.

I dont know why but im almost certain Zelda TOTK will not win, and i loved the first game (BOTW)
Its not coming from a place of hatred to the game, i think it will be amazing, perhaps even better than BOTW but not as influential or important, and that will take some of the game chances of winning. The second factor is Starfield being new IP and something Xbox will be pushing forward, you have to realize Xbox have never won a GOTY since a long time, so for them this upcoming massive space RPG from Bethesda is important in establishing their value as GOTY material.
Moreover, Zelda has already won many awards last time, i think some outlets are tired of giving it awards and at this point they would rather give something else, just like Ragnarok last year, i am sure if RDR2 won 2018, GOWR chances would have been way way higher.
And one more thing is that FF16 is also looking to be something new and if it turns out to be good i dont think journalist will hesitate to shower it with awards.
Resident Evil 4 Remake will be the safe pick, in case there was a lot of controversy around the other games, awarding RE4 will be the safe choice since everyone is loving it and the series deserves another GOTY, it has been since 2005, time for another award for Capcom.

That's my reasoning, i dont know if its convincing enough for you though, but in my head it sounds logical. lol

Edit: You mentioned Baldur's Gate 3, i think it may end up being my personal GOTY or maybe truly the best game of the year, but i am very sure that it wont win GOTY, these outlets are biased towards Crpgs and PC exclusive games, they never win unless they are made by Valve.
There's zero chance Baldur's Gate 3 wins, even if its a 10/10 flawless masterpiece, go back to best RPG awards and notice how its always big mainstream open world rpg or jrpgs that gets them, those isometric "core" rpgs never earn awards nowadays, few people really play them, even fewer master them and experiment in their systems. (The only one that won some rpg awards is Disco Elysium and that game came in a year where there was no mainstream rpg competition, if it came in 2020 instead of 2019 i would have been shifted aside, probably never nominated)

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Im 100% confident spiderman 2 will look totally different at least in visual aspect compared to spiderman 1.

Tears of the kingdom looks like its running under exact same version of engine whatsoever.....there is no improvement in graphics at all.....

Textures...lighting look exactly the same!
It's a good thing that gameplay trumps graphics. Otherwise Gamegear and Vita would have smashed the Gameboy and DS to smithereens instead of the other way around.

TOTK's new systems seem to be already making game developers shit in their pants, that plus Nintendo taking 6 years on the game using the same engine, plus the fact that Zelda is now their top offering for serious gamers and that Nintendo doesn't fuck around with it's most important IP all point to another genre defining experience that supersedes BOTW's impact.

That's my prediction.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's a good thing that gameplay trumps graphics. Otherwise Gamegear and Vita would have smashed the Gameboy and DS to smithereens instead of the other way around.
The battery helped

Markio128

I’ll join in for the fun of it.

I can only go off what I’ve seen so far, so I’ll go with FF16.

Pretty awesome that there are several candidates this year though.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yup. But the games (quality and volume) helped more.
Definitely.
But even with good games.
Competing against something with both quality games and battery....yeah.
But I think if there was another system which had both and better graphics it would be another story.

blacktout

Why not just wait a month and ask this question after the game is out? Or better yet, why not wait until December? Are we going to have to have this conversation before and after every major release this year?

Not only do we know shockingly little about Tears of the Kingdom currently, but we know even less about some of the other games listed. Whenever there's an absence of real information on this forum, sensationalism and console warring just rush in to fill the vacuum. It's tedious.

Last edited:
ToTK surely will be GOTY 2023 as it will be just as overhyped as BoTW. I still can't fathom why that game is routinely touted as the greatest game of all time. I mean, it isn't even the best Zelda game of all time. That honour belongs to OoT or aLttP.

Moses85

I am one of the biggest Zelda Fans on Earth but hopefully

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

The gameplay looks like arse for me.

The reveal trailer made me horney as fuck.

Looked atmospheric, creepy and I hoped that the game would go back to the Zelda roots with Dungeons.

This looks like they copied BotW.

nial

Gold Member
a new captain toad would excite me unironically more than TOTK. you need to get your soul back, nintendo

Last edited:

Certinty

Considering Insomniac have had more time between Spidey 1 and Spidey 2 than what they had to develop the original in its entirety, i’m expecting them to deliver the game of the generation so far let alone game of the year.

mortal

Gold Member
Maybe wait for it to be out for some time to pose this question? No one knows right now since it's not even out yet.
Anyone can dream up a GOTY in their mind.

GMCamaro

If I remember correctly, they decided on a sequel because they had so many ideas for DLC to BotW. It kinda looks like it to me, but hopefully I’m wrong and it’s not just new gadgets and floating islands.

Not gonna lie, it just looks like breath of the wild plus banjo kazooie nuts and bolts to me at the moment.

I loved botw and hope nintendo have a lot more that they havent shown us yet.

EDMIX

I will say same thing as I did all other thread similar to this……I will tell you once I play the game.

True.

I don't really care for the new Zelda titles that abandon so many of the core Zelda elements, but BotW won waaaaay too many GOTY's for me to believe this title won't do the same.

So....I believe it will take the majority and SpiderMan 2 and Starfield will battle it out for the second most awards or something lol

mrmustard

Banned
I think Zelda will win, because i think it's the only 92+ game from the obvious choices. But it won't be dominating like Elden Ring.

Woopah

Based on what they have so far, it's not worthy of being GOTY. But there's still a lot being hidden so we'll just have to wait.

BFS3

Neo Member
All I know is that this year, like last year, is going to end with the crushing victory of a great Japanese game. Kami-sama bless Japan.:messenger_winking_tongue::messenger_peace:

L*][*N*K

Banned
This game's only problem will be if it launches with significant bugs and issues, which I honestly doubt it will be the case.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
So far it's still Hi-Fi Rush. What an absolute slam dunk of a video game on every level.

Majukun

maybe...it will likely not have the same impact the first botw had and seem rather iterative, but depending on the opposition this year, who knows
Ever since it's been revealed to be Zelda Nuts & Bolts, I don't know anymore about this...
i mean the issue with nuts and bolts was mainly the disconnection about gameplay loop and the buyilding system...a game that manages to nail the gameplay loop while keeping the potential of the building vehicle system would be amazing

Last edited:

begotten

Considering Insomniac have had more time between Spidey 1 and Spidey 2 than what they had to develop the original in its entirety, i’m expecting them to deliver the game of the generation so far let alone game of the year.

Not sure it means much when they've released Rift Apart & Miles in that time, whilst working on Wolverine and possibly another game.

Fake

If not, will Tear of Kingdom be a bad game or sell bad?

You guys really need to let go those obssession with Metascore and GOTY. As much I like, Bloodborne still my goat.

Making this thread when Resident Evil 4 Remake has already come out this year.

A remake of a superior game from 20 years ago? Ouch. Hope that doesn't turn out to be the best. Admittedly I've only played the demo but I'm about to go home and play the whole game on ps5. I can't imagine it being as great as so many seem to think but maybe I'm wrong. From what I've played though only the sound and fidelity is better. The original was expertly crafted. mind blowing for the time. This one doesn't have the vision or execution. Especially in terms of gameplay. Right off the bat the fact that they changed the flow of combat and got rid of the 'stop and shoot" + laser pointer for a looser style of play seems questionable. Also that they cut out segments from original reeks of a lack of passion...hope I'm wrong!!

J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I appreciate a good sequel somehow having same things from the first game is a bad thing, Majoras Mask was a powerhouse of originality.

Tg89

Likely.

Sequel to one of the most critically claimed and adored games in recent memory and it seems to be turning everything to 11.

Not really sure what the competition will be if it delivers. FFXVI maybe?

Madflavor

After that final ToTK trailer, I'm firmly in the camp that the new Zelda is probably going to be GoTY. FFXVI will have to go in absolutely fucking hard and have a banger of a story to be able to have a shot.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I really don't know. A while ago I thought it might be, but it's a bit of a wild guess now. It's possible, lets just say that.

I don’t think so, I think it will suffer the same fate as God of War Ragnarok and Horizon FB did. Meaning, it looks too similar to the first game. Looking at that new trailer, it’s clear the game will be held back by the old tech on the switch.

GOTY will definitely be either Spider man 2 or Starfield. Spiderman 2 is being built specifically for PS5 so they have the ability to innovate more with the sequel and Starfield is a brand new IP that is also next gen only.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I thought that reviewers will prob not give a sequel a win. But this trailer def showed there's so much to this game, they prob won't finish it by the time Starfield arrives and it'll look dated in comparison.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Hogwarts Legacy= not good enough
Starfield= Bethesda always launches their games broken, so no
REmake 4= maybe
Silent Hill 2 remake= giga maybe - we don't even know if is really launching this year and we don't have shit about the final game
Zelda= chances are bigger

Top Bottom