• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2023 GOTY will be The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - or will it?

Can anything beat ToTK?

• No chance

• .....Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.

begotten

Time to just get everyone ready and have you all mentally prepared for the inevitable.

The Nintendo Switch swansong is coming in a month and will release to a 97 @ 90+ Critics on MC at the bare minimum.

In December it will join it's little bro BOTW in Keighleys' HoF in a year stacked with releases.

But.... Is it possible that there exists a world where something else will beat it?

Dead Space, Resident Evil 4 or Silent Hill 2 - Can a horror remake compete today?
Hogwarts Legacy - It has sales helping it's cause, but is that enough?
Jedi Survivor - Previews are looking great, will being one of the best Star Wars game to date help it?
Mina The Hollower and Hollow Knight: Silksong - Will one of these Davids' have a crack at Goliath?
Final Fantasy XVI - Will this franchise finally have a worthy entry after 20 years?
Eiyuden: Hundred Heroes and Octopath Traveller 2 - How about one of these AA JRPGs?
Baldurs Gate 3 - Can BG3 follow up and outdo one of the all-time CRPG greats?
Starfield - Can BGS surprise and actually release something decent after a decade?
Spider-Man 2 - How much can a next-gen Spider-Man game improve upon the first?
Lies of P and Black Myth Wukong - Can one of these Soulsborne wannabes actually surprise and be comparable to them?

Have at it, try make your case on who can contest this juggernaut.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Barack Obama GIF

ZoukGalaxy

why-are-we-having-this-conversation-david.gif

Wait until we see all the games.
Did people forget about to never count on your eggs before they hatch?
arnold schwarzenegger relax GIF

It's just fun speculation ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On topic, I would bet more on Starfield or Hogwarts personally. Zelda looks more of the same so far, I may be wrong, we'll see.

Last edited:
If we’re talking Game Awards, only Starfield, Spider-Man or FF16 stand a chance against
Zelda. Considering the somewhat mixed reception to Zelda gameplay I say it’s not out of the question.

A remake is not going to win GOTY.

Most likely Zelda will win though.

Also funny how you don’t even mention Diablo but Mina the Hollow is there 😂

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
So will Spiderman 2 though. Just more of the same.
Im 100% confident spiderman 2 will look totally different at least in visual aspect compared to spiderman 1.

Tears of the kingdom looks like its running under exact same version of engine whatsoever.....there is no improvement in graphics at all.....

Textures...lighting look exactly the same!

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I feel it’ll be between Zelda, Starfield and Spider-Man. Hopefully they’re all 95+ games, can’t wait to play them all!

bender

What time is it?
It's going to come down to how fresh the recycled map can feel which has me "worried". Exploring, traversal, and the layered systems are what made BOTW special to me. If the world feels to "samey", no matter what other improvements are in place, it's going to take away from my overall enjoyment. It does seem like one of the few games that has the potential to challenge my favorites this year (Monster Hunter Rise, Hi Fi Rush).

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Im 100% confident spiderman 2 will look totally different at least in visual aspect compared to spiderman 1.

Tears of the kingdom looks like its running under exact same version of engine whatsoever.....there is no improvement in graphics at all.....

100% confident that same old city’s going to look different. Web slinging different? Combat mechanics different?

Venom can arguably bring in new combat mechanics like we’ve seen in Prototype.

At the same time we’ve seen some pretty fun new mechanics in Zelda in regards to combining items with arrows, or combining weapons.

Calling one DLC while acting like the other is going to be some all new experience is funny.

Even graphically it’ll be a case of diminishing returns. It’s not going to be a big jump.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Going by the track record of the Team making the game, it will be excellent at minimum and possibly a masterpiece. Of course we don’t know how good Starfield or Spider-Man 2 will be will be yet either - tons of exciting stuff coming out this year!

ungalo

It's a matter of aura not just quality per se. Bethesda are the only ones that were proven very "awards compatible" in the past. Their formula still draws attention.

FF16 is also an outsider, there is a big upsurge of attention for japanese games like this.

Silksong will probably be acclaimed, likely to have a big metacritic since medias missed it completely in 2017 and now it's very anticipated, but i doubt it will have more than a nomination for GOTY.

I wouldn't bet on any other game to compete. Some names in the list are a joke.

Robb

Gold Member
ToTK easy 95+

Other 2 games will need a miracle to even hit 90.
Spider-Man was already 85+ so with some improvements I think it’ll be pretty easy for them to land a 90+. Insomniac is a great studio.

StarField is a bit more difficult to get a feel for since it’s a new IP. But they’ve worked on it for such a long time. I kinda feel the same way as with TotK right now, there has got to be a ton of cool stuff we haven’t seen yet.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
100% confident that same old city’s going to look different. Web slinging different? Combat mechanics different?

Venom can arguably bring in new combat mechanics like we’ve seen in Prototype.

At the same time we’ve seen some pretty fun new mechanics in Zelda in regards to combining items with arrows, or combining weapons.

Calling one DLC while acting like the other is going to be some all new experience is funny.
Gameplay wise there will be improvement or some changes I'm sure of that, i mean its a sequel, It's spiderman.

Tears of the kingdom on the other hand, Gameplay mechanic is different i wont argue with that, but its not enough for me personally.
I have a switch and i completed BOTW in mastermode, upgraded the sword to the max level and completed all the dlc, but i'm not excited for this game at all, it just doesnt look like a sequel to me.

bender

What time is it?
So little faith in From Software’s Armored Core VI?

Just the Sekiro director, you know, GOAT.

It's one of my more anticipated games but I think it will receive a lot of backlash because it is going to be very un-souls-like.

cormack12

Gold Member
If they are holding back and there's way more to discover, 100% GOTY.
If the trailers are what it is, no.
I agree with this. If they've ignored all the issues with dungeons etc. And think just a few abilities will have the sane effect, I don't see it.

Bragr

Banned
You missed Metroid Prime Remastered. The current leader.

Tears of the Kingdom is not gonna get over 95, I can tell you that right now, but it would be very surprising if it ain't in contention. If I had to guess, then yes, it's gonna be the GOTY.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Gameplay wise there will be improvement or some changes I'm sure of that, i mean its a sequel, It's spiderman.

Tears of the kingdom on the other hand, Gameplay mechanic is different i wont argue with that, but its not enough for me personally.
I have a switch and i completed BOTW in mastermode, upgraded the sword to the max level and completed all the dlc, but i'm not excited for this game at all, it just doesnt look like a sequel to me.

I’m not that excited for it either, as I wasn’t crazy about BotW.
I’m just keeping my expectations grounded. I wound up loving Spiderman, but I’m not expecting a big difference with Spiderman 2. I’m sure it’ll be great though.

tommycronin

No chance. Neither will Spiderman no matter what year it comes out if its being made by Insomniac. Has a direct sequel ever won GOTY that the previous game did aswell?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Probably, I just hope it’s for something deserving and not a boring AAA interactive graphic novel like most the candidates.

Top Bottom