• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN’s GOTY 2023 is The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

tmlDan

You mean different. BG3 and TotK are vastly different games, scratching vastly different itches. I love both games for very different reasons.
sure tina fey GIF by Saturday Night Live

Arachnid

Definitely should be BG3.

Not really mad though, TOTK is fantastic. I'm still mid playthrough and loving it.

LakeOf9

thats a hilarious choice when BG3 is far superior
BG3 is fucking amazing, and so is AW2.

Honestly, this is one of those years where any of the top contenders taking a win makes me happy. They're all great games in a year full of them, and we're blessed to be able to argue about which of the three GOAT contenders is the best one lol.

Ultimately I imagine your favorite will come down to preferences, but all three are amazing.

tmlDan

BG3 is fucking amazing, and so is AW2.

Honestly, this is one of those years where any of the top contenders taking a win makes me happy. They're all great games in a year full of them, and we're blessed to be able to argue about which of the three GOAT contenders is the best one lol.

Ultimately I imagine your favorite will come down to preferences, but all three are amazing.
Honestly, AW2, for me, is not even close to ToTk and BG3 - its pretty average. But i agree, its been an amazing year for games.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Deserved. I’ve been finally playing it for the last week and it’s kind of so above everything else. It’s a masterclass of everything.

Only AC6 touches it and
FF16
First Half GIF

Seriously though, so many amazing games this year and its great to see there are a few options for legit industry leading games of the year this year.

Well deserved Zelda, and hats off to the runner ups!

IGN voting ToTK and RE4 are the least shocking things to happen. Hell make a Bloodborne sequel and it'll be that years GOTY before it's even out.

Grats to the winners though. Any of those picks would be an easy choice for almost any other year. That's how amazing 2023 is.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The way they talk about the games is just mindless glorification. AW2 saved the survival horror genre, BG3 is the best CRPG of all time and ToTK makes BoTW look like a test run, shut the fuck up.

It's literally sponsored content. There's minimal difference between a billboard you drive past on the highway and IGN. Both have the sole purpose of driving clicks and marketing product.

Last edited:

Sojiro

Definitely should be BG3.

Not really mad though, TOTK is fantastic. I'm still mid playthrough and loving it.
This was my reaction for BG3 winning TGA, and is the sensible one. I personally lean toward ToTK as my GOTY, but can completely understand why BG3 won and respect that. Once I saw the thread title I pretty much knew how a lot of the reactions in here would be. BG3 and ToTK are the best games of the year, so yeah some places are going to lean one way or the other.

Last edited:
If BG3 hadn't of come out, it would have been mine as well. I loved it more than BotW and it's easily Nintendo's best piece of work they've released. Amazing game. I wasn't sure the wait would have been worth all that time, but they really surprised me in a lot of ways and exploring in that game was simply incredible.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I love how people think Nintendo paid for this, as if selling 20m and they're thinking, you know, we need some awards... haha.

Also, does anyone know where I can find this artwork in high-res?

Mozzarella

Good game but not my GOTY.
I have not been a fan of IGN picks recently. It seems to me that since TGA became a thing IGN picks just started to get worse and worse.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Congrats tears of the kingdom, it’s the best open world game one of my favorite, Ganon is legit tough, I like battling him everytime.

Robb

Gold Member
It’s mine as well, so I agree. Absolutely incredible game.

The only negative I can think of is that they’re not doing DLC for it. I’d love even more dungeons and shrines.

I was thinking it’d be difficult to top BotW, but they absolutely blew it out of the water in literally every single aspect. Now I’m back to thinking I’d be impossible to top this one… Can’t wait to se what they do going forward.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I love how people think Nintendo paid for this, as if selling 20m and they're thinking, you know, we need some awards... haha.
Pretty much, gaming media loathe Nintendo, the biggest awards show right now is by a media douche that got famous by roasting Reggie for the Wii being shit and kiddy and whatever crap juvenile fantrolls praised as journalism at the time, Nintendo has shunned traditional media relations and perks away in favor of their own Direct format going directly to the consumer from the source without an unnecessary middle man to pay/please and more, hell the writing was on the wall for E3 which the press reveled in for getting access to shit no consumer could when Nintendo made the first steps away from that by taking their show, again, online and direct to consumers. That they can't NOT rate certain games highly only speaks volumes of their quality rather than any inherent bias and for any over-grading one may perceive for this or that title that they disagree with there are probably hundreds of others that underscore instead for all the other reasons, though again their quality is usually so high that they can't basically hand their gamer card away rating them badly, but will make sure to slam Nintendo for all their worth any chance they get and of course said fantrolls then all agree once again that's hard hitting journalism and make memes about pirating their games or Miyamoto being a hack as they create the Nth thread of wishing Nintendo was third party/joined another first party because even they know they make the superior games more often than not.

Last edited:

TheOtherGuy

Neo Member
Polygon was TOTK as well

There is legit a post in this thread complaining that a game of the year article (celebrating the best games of the year) is too positive. I think people on here (and just online communities in general) thrive on negativity.
But how else are we supposed to know who's E-peen is the biggest and gamer cred most legit if they aren't being cynical douchebaggy pieces of no fun shit?

Tg89

Good choice. Hard for me to choose between it and BG3. Go back and forth a lot. I'd imagine both are going to end up topping a lot of lists. Both top 3 games of the last like 5 years alongside Elden Ring.

Personally I don’t think any of the runner ups are particularly close.

Last edited:

Madflavor

You know what. Makes sense. If somebody is going to give Tears of the Kingdom GotY, it would be IGN. I wouldn't expect less or more of them.

Top Bottom