• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE Awards 2024 Winners: The Full List

The 27th D.I.C.E. Awards have arrived and celebrated the best of the best in the world of video games from 2023. While there were a ton of winners, Baldur's Gate 3 walked home with Game of the Year alongside Best Role-Playing Game and Outstanding Achievement awards in Story, Game Direction, and Game Design.

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 may not have won Game of the Year, but it did lead the night with six wins - Action Game of the Year and Outstanding Achievement awards in Animation, Character, Original Music Composition, Audio Design, and Technical Achievement.

No other game won multiple awards, but some of the other highlights included Alan Wake 2 winning Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom winning Adventure Game of the Year, Super Mario Bros. Wonder winning Family Game of the Year, and Street Fighter 6 winning Fighting Game of the Year.

Outstanding Achievement in Animation
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Hi-Fi RUSH
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - WINNER
  • Mortal Kombat 1
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction
  • Alan Wake 2 - WINNER
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
  • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
  • Starfield
Outstanding Achievement in Character
  • Alan Wake 2 - Saga Anderson
  • Baldur’s Gate 3 - Astarion
  • Baldur’s Gate 3 - Karlach
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 - Miles Morales - WINNER
  • Thirsty Suitors - Jala
Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition
  • Alan Wake 2
  • Diablo IV
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 - WINNER
  • Planet of Lana
Outstanding Achievement in Audio Design
  • Alan Wake 2
  • COCOON
  • Hi-Fi RUSH
Outstanding Achievement in Story
  • Alan Wake 2
  • Baldur’s Gate 3 - WINNER
  • DAVE THE DIVER
  • Thirsty Suitors
  • Venba
Outstanding Technical Achievement
  • Alan Wake 2
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • THE FINALS
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Action Game of the Year
  • ARMORED CORE VI FIRES OF RUBICON
  • Dead Space
  • Hi-Fi RUSH
  • Remnant II
Adventure Game of the Year
  • Alan Wake 2
  • COCOON
  • DAVE THE DIVER
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - WINNER
Family Game of the Year
  • Disney Illusion Island
  • Fae Farm
  • Hello Kitty Island Adventure
  • Midnight Girl
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder - WINNER

Fighting Game of the Year

• ranblue Fantasy Versus: Rising
  • Mortal Kombat 1
  • Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl 2
  • Pocket Bravery
  • Street Fighter 6 - WINNER
Racing Game of the Year
  • F-ZERO 99
  • Forza Motorsport - WINNER
  • Hot Wheels Unleashed 2 - Turbocharged
  • LEGO 2K Drive
Role-Playing Game of the Year
  • Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
  • Diablo IV
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Starfield
Sports Game of the Year
  • EA SPORTS FC 24
  • MLB The Show™ 23 - WINNER
  • WWE 2K23
Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year
  • Against the Storm
  • Cobalt Core
  • Dune: Spice Wars - WINNER
  • The Last Spell
  • Wartales
Immersive Reality Technical Achievement
  • Asgard’s Wrath 2
  • Assassin's Creed Nexus VR
  • Horizon: Call of the Mountain - WINNER
  • Vertigo 2
  • We Are One
Immersive Reality Game of the Year
  • Asgard’s Wrath 2 - WINNER
  • Assassin's Creed Nexus VR
  • Horizon: Call of the Mountain
  • Vampire: The Masquerade - Justice
  • Vertigo 2
Outstanding Achievement for an Independent Game
  • COCOON - WINNER
  • DREDGE
  • El Paso, Elsewhere
  • Thirsty Suitors
  • Venba
Mobile Game of the Year
  • Gubbins
  • Hello Kitty Island Adventure
  • Honkai: Star Rail
  • Terra Nil
  • WHAT THE CAR? - WINNER
Online Game of the Year
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III
  • Diablo IV - WINNER
  • Omega Strikers
  • Street Fighter 6
  • THE FINALS
Outstanding Achievement in Game Design
  • COCOON
  • DAVE THE DIVER
Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction
  • COCOON
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
Game of the Year
  • Alan Wake 2
  • COCOON
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man 2

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Quite surprised DICE went Spider-Man 2 over TOTK for technical achievement.

Obviously SM2 very technically impressive, but it's not quite the voodoo that makes all the systems in TOTK work together on a 6 year old tablet.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Obviously SM2 very technically impressive, but it's not quite the voodoo that makes all the systems in TOTK work together on a 6 year old tablet.

Yeah, in relative terms TOTK is more technically impressive, but in absolute terms SM2 is. So I guess that's what they focus on.

Tsaki

Street Fighter 6 - WINNER
Hell yeah

YFo54QT.jpg

nowhat

Lol what a steal. SM2 doesn't deserve half of these awards.
I thought it was a decent sequel, but I also agree. But some of the nominations are just bizarre. Like the "Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition". I'm not sure I'd pick any of them from the list of nominees. Maybe AW2.

S0ULZB0URNE

Outstanding Achievement in Audio Design SM2

Don't care for the game but agree with this,especially with capable setups.

Fbh

Haven't played SM2 but does Miles have some big character changes?
Because I found him annoying as fuck in Miles Morales, the Insomniac version sucks compared to the Spiderverse one.

Seems like a reflection of what most of the AAA industry focuses on. Graphics above everything.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Seems like a reflection of what most of the AAA industry focuses on. Graphics above everything.

Nah, DICE voted Elden Ring for the same award last year over God of War and Horizon which is why I'm surprised. They usually get that part right.

AV

How are these "awards" any more credible than the Keighleys?

Voted for by actual game devs and pros, not just anyone who starts Sickgamereviews.biz and asks for a ballot.

Fbh

Nah, DICE voted Elden Ring for the same award last year over God of War and Horizon which is why I'm surprised. They usually get that part right.

Really? Well in that case I don't really get what criteria they use for this.
Loved Elden Ring but it wasn't exactly a technical marvel.

Last edited:

Hudo

Aren't these judged by actual professionals within the industry, rather than a bunch of random gamers giving their opinion?

Voted for by actual game devs and pros, not just anyone who starts Sickgamereviews.biz and asks for a ballot.
So it's the industry awarding itself? Ehh... I dunno if that makes it more credible. But I guess it's still fun to have lists like this.

yurinka

Does Sony own this shit or what?
No, the industry devs from all companies -mostly from US- are the ones who own & vote this.

"The DICE Awards are hosted by the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (AIAS) and determined by votes from its more than 30,000 members of industry experts, the developers and studios that crafted the most groundbreaking video games of the year were honored."

TotK is a technical achievement in what it does to open world gameplay mechanics of anything is possible.
No, like Breath of the Wild it doesn't do anything new already seen in other popular games.

Both in the technical level and gameplay mechanics design, which are two very different and unrelated things.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
There’s a few things SM2 should’ve won in there but it sweeping so many awards is delusional.

Best music? What music? I couldn’t hum a fucking tune from it.

FF16 was robbed.

Always worth knowing what the industry are impress with the most after a year of games especially last year. I still have spiderman 2 in the backlog, excited to play it whenever there is a draught of releases this year.

fatmarco

Wartales was robbed of the "Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year", but I'd also argue it's really an RPG not an RTS/ Sim game so...

Also Saga Anderson being nominated for Outstanding Achievement in Character is pretty hard to believe, I honestly thought she was pretty generic/ dull.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
LMAO at all the Spiderman 2 hate here. ToTK is my GOTY but the amount of downplaying Spiderman 2 gets here is nuts.

Zelda's physics systems are great but not in technical terms. They are great because of the game designers taking full advantage of nearly 19 year old tech. They shit insomanic is doing in Spiderman 2 is simply not possible on PS3 era hardware.

Honestly, a lot of the awards Spiderman 2 got are kinda lame. Audio, musical score, best character whatever that means and animations. Just random technical awards. The big one is the action game of the year and i think its better than hifi rush, armored core, star wars and remnant 2 so its not like its a huge upset. I thought it beat Baldurs Gate from the way this thread was reacting lol

Mozzarella

I watched the whole thing, it was pretty cool, i disagree with some choices, but overall not a bad show and straight to the point.
I still prefer TGA for the hype and the announcements, i feel awards hold more value when you dont announce them in a speedrun manner, but i understand DICE is about awards first and foremost.
At least the Devs of Larian got to talk.

Congrats... This makes Baldur's Gate 3/3 so far in the big awards; Golden Joystick, The Game Awards and DICE.
Two more left, already holds the majority, in such a strong year thats quite the achievement. Swen should be proud.

Astarion got robbed though, one of the greatest performances in any RPG companion imo, but its ok he got recognition already at TGA.
One thing DICE has over TGA is the Game Design award and Technical Achievement awards, those two are important in Games and TGA doesnt care about them, instead they care about Games for Le Impact and Content Creator of the year lol.

Last edited:

gtabro

The show was not bad IMO, they let the winners actually speak for more than 5 seconds, Greg and Stella had some good jokes, but the best ones were

1. Spider-Man 2 getting Outstanding Technical Achievement over Zelda TotK was BIG LULZ

Just gonna leave these here, and that's just one example of the ridiculous possibilities in TotK:

Saying that as a person who owns and played both but gotta recognize TotK engrossed me endlessly with its variety compared to Spidey 2, as good as it is.

2. BG3's not even nominated for Best Music when there's a ton of discussions and memes about it, even CarbotAnimations dedicated a whole episode to a tune from the game, I don't think I've seen them do that for any of their other series (Elden Ring, Diablo IV, etc.)?

3. Diablo IV best multiplayer game... oof

But shoutout to DICE for having the balls to at recognize Hogwarts Legacy exists. Almost surprised BG3 won GOTY, I thought these were the awards where they pick the most random of the somewhat popular games for the year, but I guess the game just made that much of a splash. Also the constant updates and fixes really please the fans and serve as additional marketing when news outlets talk about every new patch, so Larian is executing a proper win-win strategy.

Last edited:

Oberstein

Exactly.

And it's missing the "inventiveness in an open-world" category, it would have got the prize too. There are so many different gameplay mechanics that constantly renew the game.

Damn, BG3 cleaning up most GOTY awards.

Back in May I would never expect the game to mop the floor with the others.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Exactly.

And it's missing the "inventiveness in an open-world" category, it would have got the prize too. There are so many different gameplay mechanics that constantly renew the game.

Inventiveness doesn't require technical skill, in fact it shines the brightest when technology constrains what can be achieved directly.

Zelda's very good, but its not particularly impressive from a technological standpoint. It just isn't.

Rigid body physics isn't actually that computationally expensive if you keep the geometry relatively simple and try not to process too much at the same time, which is what Zelda does. Compared to something like Teardown, it really isn't doing much.

Top Bottom