• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

101st Indianapolis 500 - May 28th |OT| We Got Bigger Crowds than Trump's Inauguration

Mastah

DAYX7TYXcAAt9nj.jpg:large

Guys, I need your help.

I'm in a family Indy 500 pool. Basically each person picks 5 drivers. They can be any 5 drivers in the race. Point values will be assigned to race positions, (e.g. so many points for 1st place, so many for 2nd place, etc.) and awarded to the drivers the end of the race based on their final positions.The person with the highest total points wins the pool.

My dad is a pro, he's been following IndyCar basically his whole life since he grew up in Indy. I'm just a pleeb, so I'd appreciate any suggestions on what 5 drivers to pick. Anyone I should definitely include?

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Alonso starts in the middle of row 2 at P5.

Guys, I need your help.

I'm in a family Indy 500 pool. Basically each person picks 5 drivers. They can be any 5 drivers in the race. Point values will be assigned to race positions, (e.g. so many points for 1st place, so many for 2nd place, etc.) and awarded to the drivers the end of the race based on their final positions.The person with the highest total points wins the pool.

My dad is a pro, he's been following IndyCar basically his whole life since he grew up in Indy. I'm just a pleeb, so I'd appreciate any suggestions on what 5 drivers to pick. Anyone I should definitely include?

Dixon, Kanaan, Hunter-Reay, Hildebrand and Sato in no particular order. If you don't mind me asking, what's your dad's opinion on the split?

dakun

Alonso starts in the middle of row 2 at P5.

Dixon, Kanaan, Hunter-Reay, Hildebrand and Sato in no particular order. If you don't mind me asking, what's your dad's opinion on the split?

As someone not familiar with Indy.. is starting in the middle of the row a disadvantage? I'd think that being on the inside and outside is better?

FrankCanada97

As someone not familiar with Indy.. is starting in the middle of the row a disadvantage? I'd think that being on the inside and outside is better?
If they are still 3 wide by turn 1, he'd have to be mindful of cars on either side if any of them force the issue and not back off. I'd trust them not to do any boneheaded moves. But depending on whether who has a good jump at the start, it probably wouldn't matter if they go single file or 2 wide at turn 1.

Thanks for the help!

I asked him, and this was his response:

"Bad mistake for a number of reasons. The sport at the time of the split was the most competitive it had been. A lot of talent, good mix of road course and oval racing and was very popular with the fans. The split was all about control. The 500 is and has always been the most popular, well attended race in the world. Tony George, grandson of Tony Hulman, wanted control and an all oval series of American drivers. It was CART, under USAC who was the sanctioning body over rules, against the speedway. Without the speedway, CART was dead and without CART, the speedway was on life support.

I used to see 200,000 people attend the first day of qualifications every year. Now, 20 plus years after the split, maybe 50,000 attend. The split destroyed the loyalty that existed between fans and Indycar."

Granted part of that was him explaining to me what it was haha. I do know that he comments how there seems to be less and less people at the race every year, especially noting that it's most noticeable on the qualification and practice days.

FrankCanada97

Looks like Australian James Davison will be substituting for Sebastian Bourdais in the #18 Dale Coyne Honda. Davison came in 2nd in the 2009 Indy Lights championship. More recently he has been racing sportscars in various GT series.

FrankCanada97

IndyCar released new renders of next year's aerokit, they also revealed what the road-course configuration will look like:

As promised, they took design cues from the CART cars of the late 90s/early 00s.

FrankCanada97

This is just a reminder that coverage begins in almost 24 hours.

I also recommend listening to the IMS radio commentary and just mute the ABC coverage. The ABC commentators are abysmal.

Mastah

Weather actually is looking good for now:

DA7EttHXgAQYTAX.jpg:large

Also:

Mattzel89‏ @Mattzel89 3m3 minutes ago

So this is going to be Graham Rahal and Josef Newgarden's onboard today #Indy500 #VisorCam

DA7F9KMXcAA9IcZ.jpg:large

And this is how the #VisorCam looks like #Indy500

DA7GNm8XUAEFzLW.jpg:large

FrankCanada97

Apparently the bad weather won't arrive until 3pm ET. The visor cams are on drivers who qualified further back than expected, so it should provide some exciting views as they make it through the field.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
A ton of military at the Indy pre show. Also a lot of drunk people. Viva la USA.

Top Bottom