• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2020 IndyCar OT

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

IndyCar 2020 OT - Someone think of a witty thread name please!

Where Can I Watch It?
In the US you can watch it on on NBC live, while in the UK you can watch it on Sky F1. Australia has it on Fox Sports, New Zealand on Sky Sports, Canada has it on SN World, https://www.indycar.com/ways-to-watch/international for more.

I've Never Watched IndyCar before - What's The Deal?
The Car
In IndyCar there is a standard chassis built by Dallara (who supply chassis for most of the single-make series in the world). The aero kits were standard from 2012-2014, but then from 2015-2017 they introduced manufacturer aero kits developed by the two engine manufacturers Honda and Chevy. From 2018 they went back to a standard aero kit as they replaced the IR-12 with the IR-18. Teams may use either a Honda engine or a Chevy engine. They're fairly balanced but the Chevy has marginally more power while the Honda has better fuel mileage (as of last season at least).

The Teams & Drivers
Teams in IndyCar are very different to F1 teams, running 1-6 cars, some running all the races and some only running a few. Quite a few will only run the Indy 500 (not shown in the graphic above). In races you'll see that teams don't have all the expensive kit and huge teams of people that F1 does, but perhaps it's best if I just show you a video to see what I mean.

The Races
Races are run on three types of track. Road course races are held at traditional European-style race tracks (though American circuits are proper fucking race tracks wthout huge run-off areas - none of that F1 car park bullshit), street tracks (think Monaco) and ovals (which will be what is least familiar to Europeans). In those races you just turn left. Easy, right? Fuck no. It's 200 mph chess. The whole race is about drafting, managing tyres and fuel, so much strategy which might sound boring but it's so different to F1.

I'll add more to this later, but I reckon this'll do as a starter to get people up and running and I've been at this for about 2 bloody hours because I'm shit at graphics stuff. I'll finish up with a bit of action for y'all to enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
F1 and WEC for me.
I grew up with F1 - I'm British so when Mansell won the championship when I was a kid I was hooked. Forever I thought. However, F1 lost me, it no longer speaks to me with its ugly cars, dreadful non-racing, cars having to last multiple races which creates incentives to not race (and often to retire the car to save the engine if they're not going to get a decent result). Discovering IndyCar was like returning to my roots. Those fuckers race. They live to race. No retiring cars to save the engine. They fight for every inch of track. They risk death on oval tracks that really should scare the shit out of anyone (and indeed Max Chilton has chickened out and decided not to run any more ovals). The cars are fucking gorgeous, no halo (they've gone for the Red Bull aeroscreen this year). Every race people are fighting throughout the field for places. IndyCar is racing.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
https://www.planetf1.com/news/josef-newgarden-f1/

Two-time IndyCar champion, Josef Newgarden, thinks it is hard for American drivers to race in F1 due to a European “bubble” that exists in the sport.

There has not been an American representative on the Formula 1 grid since Alexander Rossi departed in 2015 following a five-race stint with Manor Racing.

Newgarden did try to plot his own path to Formula 1 before funding ran out, but he feels there is a general disregard for American drivers anyway.

“Yeah, definitely,” Newgarden told the New York Times when asked if he had considered a career in Formula 1.

“When I was 17, I got to go to Europe. I wanted to stay over there and try for Formula 1. I did really well, but then ran out of money after my second year.

“Formula One is very glitzy and glamorous, but if you’re not in a Ferrari or a Mercedes you might as well not show up.

“There’s zero chance you’re going to win the race. That’s demoralising.

“I’d [still] like to do it. But nowadays, it’s kind of hard for any American. There’s a Formula 1 bubble in Europe.

“I’ll be honest, they look down on Americans a bit over there. It’s really silly. There’s American talent that if they got the right seat at the right time, they could win championships, no problem.”

keraj37

In Project Cars 2, when you choose F1 carrier, the end of that carrier is IndyCar.
I didn't know it has more prestige to it then F1.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
In Project Cars 2, when you choose F1 carrier, the end of that carrier is IndyCar.
I didn't know it has more prestige to it then F1.

Globally not so much - indeed in America I think NASCAR is bigger than IndyCar. Personally though I don't care - the racing is fantastic and the cars are awesome.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Nasr, Daly land Carlin IndyCar drives

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/nasr-daly-carlin-indycar-chevrolet/4736670/

Nasr, Daly land Carlin IndyCar drives

Felipe Nasr has been confirmed in the #31 Carlin-Chevrolet for this weekend’s Grand Prix of St. Petersburg, while Conor Daly has been signed to sub for Max Chilton in four oval races.
Ex-Formula 1 racer Nasr, who impressed the Carlin team in an abbreviated wet/dry Spring Training session at Circuit of The Americas last month, and the Sebring test last week will join Chilton at St. Petersburg, making his NTT IndyCar Series debut.

The 27-year-old Brazilian raced with Carlin during the formative years of his career, claiming the British Formula 3 championship with the team in 2011 and later fighting for the GP2 Series title in 2013 and 2014, with several race wins to his name.

The 2018 IMSA Prototype champion commented: “It’s nice to see that all the work we’ve put into this program together has finally paid off. I’m thankful for Trevor Carlin for giving me the opportunity to drive the No. 31 Carlin Chevrolet this weekend and to Chevy for supporting this program.

“I’m very keen to contribute to the team with my experience and my knowledge and to hopefully show that the speed we had at Sebring a few days ago will translate onto the streets of St. Petersburg. I know the team has been working really hard over the offseason and I’m very excited to get out on track first thing on Friday morning.”

Sergio Sette Camara, who shared the #31 car with Nasr at Spring Training, was yesterday announced as a Red Bull/AlphaTauri test and reserve driver, and has taken a similar role with the Dragon Formula E team.

Carlin also revealed via social media that Daly will return to the team for the races at Texas Motor Speedway, Richmond Raceway, Iowa Speedway and World Wide Technology Raceway at Gateway.

The Noblesville, IN native will, like last year, be subbing for Chilton on all ovals bar the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Daly will therefore be contesting a full IndyCar season, since he is racing the road/street courses and the Indianapolis 500 for Ed Carpenter Racing-Chevrolet.

I'll try to get the OP graphic updated if I get the chance to.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

IndyCar has announced its races at St. Petersburg, Barber Motorsports Park, Long Beach and Circuit of The Americas are canceled.

IndyCar has announced its races at St. Petersburg, Barber Motorsports Park, Long Beach and Circuit of The Americas are canceled.

Despite yesterday’s decision to continue the Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg but behind closed doors, and Road To Indy support events taking to the 1.8-mile street/runway course today, IndyCar has elected not to take the risk.

The IndyCar statement reads: "After careful consideration, including regular communication with our event promoters, health officials, and the city administrations in our respective race markets regarding COVID-19, we have made the decision to cancel all NTT IndyCar Series events through April.
“This begins with the Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg which was to begin today and run through Sunday, March 15 and continues through the AutoNation IndyCar Challenge at Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas which was to take place April 24-26.

“Although we are disappointed to delay the start to this INDYCAR season and will miss our incredible fans who support us each year in St. Petersburg, Birmingham, Long Beach, and Austin, the safety of our fans, participants, staff, partners, and media will always remain our top priority.
“We will continue to coordinate with public health experts and government officials as we determine the appropriate plans for resuming our schedule."
The fifth and sixth races on the schedule are the GMR Grand Prix of Indianapolis and the 104th Indianapolis 500.

Seriously, fuck coronavirus.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Lots of online racing via iRacing at the moment to substitute for the real thing. I do wish they’d run without infinite repairs though - that’s some absolute rookie shit.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Updated schedule has been posted - it’ll be interesting to see if the drivers continue racing on IRacing once all this is done (quite a few already did - I’ve raced a few of them but I’m sure we’ll have some new converts).

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

fernando-alonso-no-66-ruoff-mo.jpg

Looks pretty damn sexy I reckon. IndyCar do better liveries than F1 imo.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
g5Wp7L8.jpg

Spotters guide for this weekend’s race - a joint running at Indianapolis with NASCAR (separate races obviously).

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
8VMBpM4.jpg

For those in the UK you can watch on Sky F1. Times translate as follows:

Friday Practice: 15:30 GMT (16:30 British Summer Time) to 17:00 GMT (18:00 BST)
Friday Qualifying: 20:30 GMT (21:30 BST) to 22:00 GMT (23:00 BST)
Saturday Warmup: 13:00 GMT (14:00 BST) to 13:30 GMT (14:30 BST)
Saturday Race: 16:00 GMT (17:00 BST)

GP_Indy_track_layout.jpg

For those unfamiliar, yes this is the same track used for the Indy 500, but this weekend it uses the GMR layout, which takes part of the oval and uses an infield course. The track has some good heavy braking zones and the cars themselves are well-designed to make it easier to follow each other than F1 cars meaning we should see some good racing. Last year was excellent fun, helped by the changeable weather conditions.

Drivers to keep an eye on include:
- Josef Newgarden, the champion, who was absolutely clinical last year
- Pato O'Ward who has moved to Arrows McLaren after some decent drives last year but didn't quite get the results he wanted
- Scott Dixon the wily old fox
- Will Power will want to do better after having an absolute horror last season
- Santino Ferrucci is an impressive overtaker, genuinely exciting to watch
- Simon Pagenaud had a decent time at Indy last year
- Alexander Rossi is fast, we all know that, and he's coming off two good seasons with Andretti, with whom he continues
- James Hinchcliffe lost his seat when McLaren took over Arrows but now he's back, with Andretti too. He had a rough season last year and will want to do better.
- Colton Herta had an excellent rookie season last year (he'd previously driven a single race) and is exciting to watch. Hopefully he pulls it out of the bag this year.

At Texas Scott Dixon ran away with it, with an enormous 4.4 second margin, despite the best efforts of Newgarden on a car that wasn't looking after its tyres. Hopefully we'll see something a bit more exciting this weekend.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. it’s not as Mclaren AF as his last two cars.

I absolutely love the colours, and the tendency in IndyCar to go with simpler designs vs the gradients and bullshit found in F1. Of course it helps that the car itself is a looker too, Dallara have done a cracking job of creating a really gorgeous car.

So.. qualifying:

nbOk13X.jpg

A really good qualifying result for Will Power, though I'm surprised to see Jack Harvey in 2nd - I know he finished 3rd in the same race last year but other than that his results are nothing special. Colton Herta in 3rd makes sense - he won two races last year in his rookie season - an impressive achievement in a single-car team (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harding_Steinbrenner_Racing) that has historically achieved very little.

Good to see a mix of teams in there - no Penske domination - with an impressive showing from Graham Rahal. I had expected more from Josef Newgarden and Scott Dixon, and I'm a little disappointed to see Ferrucci so low down the list. A solid first road quali for the 'new' Arrows McLaren team too.

Race kicks off in an hour.

Fox Mulder

I liked the double header. Dixon stomped the Indy race and the Xfinity race was amazing and far better than the Cup race will be on Sunday.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the double header. Dixon stomped the Indy race and the Xfinity race was amazing and far better than the Cup race will be on Sunday.

It would have been nice to see it - sadly Sky don't have rights to NASCAR over here so I didn't get to watch it. The Indy race was a bit dull sadly - Dixon did a brilliant job and given the cars are more or less equal that tells you something of the skill of the man. Power made an absolute hash of his race - it was there for the taking but he makes too many unforced errors. He was doing a lot of that last season too. Still, he kicked my arse on iRacing so I can't criticise too harshly.

Looking forward to Road America next weekend. It's such a fun track, a proper old-school track of the type F1 would declare too unsafe - no room to get away with being a dickhead, no huge tarmac run-offs, and a layout that favours the brave. Double-header, one on Saturday and one on Sunday which will be fun. Hopefully they'll be better races than this weekend.

I've updated the header image to have the new COVID-fucked schedule btw.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
If anyone wants to watch the NASCAR:

Stream #1

Stream #2

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
WpNHFx3.jpg

Double header this weekend at the wonderful Road America track. Can’t wait! Hopefully it’ll be better racing than we have seen in the first couple of races. It's a shame there's not more interest in IndyCar here but it is what it is.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Race time. Sky Sports F1 if you’re in the uk. Probably the rest of Europe too.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I love Road America so much - it’s such a lovely old school track where mistakes get punished.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Well that’s a wild start. Think maybe the rookies up front backed the field up too much and led to carnage.

Will Power was an idiot. After his comments in race 1 that if Dixon wanted to pass he’d have to crash I wonder if he’s right in the head right now.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
And Will Power brings out another yellow. He’s really not doing well.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Good win for Rosenqvist after O’Ward drove brilliantly - shame he ran out of tyres but it’s a useful learning race for McLaren.

Fox Mulder

entertaining race and excellent last few laps. Nothing better than two drivers fighting hard for their first win at the end of a race.

Just bought some Indycar diecasts too, the aero screen looks sick on some of these liveries.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing win for Pagenaud starting from last. Dixon didn’t have the pace to take him at the end (though another brilliant drive starting from 17th) but got solid points. Another decent race for McLaren too with Askew in 3rd. Not a bad race.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
ChK0wTL.jpg

HzF0wNS.jpg

Good to see Hinch have a good practice session. Caveat is that Indy is pretty decent for overtaking so pure quali speed isn't so important - more important to have a good fast racecar that maintains a solid balance and doesn't chew its tyres than a fast qualifier. That said, good to see Alonso put the demons of last season out of the way. Last year was such a shambles with McLaren putting the wrong damn gears on the car among other things, which meant Alonso couldn't get anywhere near good enough pace on track, issues where they fucked up metric/imperial conversions, etc. It's now basically the Arrow team with more money so it should be a slicker operation.

No pre-qualifying this year because there were exactly 33 entries for 33 spots. The reduced field compared to usual is probably a product of Chinese Flu. Sadly no fans this year either which sucks hairy donkey balls.

Top Bottom