• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 Indy 500 thread of cars spectacularly crashing upside-down

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefro

iBhuU7V.png

Time until scheduled green flag

t1432484400z1.png

It's that time of year again where a non-niche audience actually cares about open-wheel racing in America for a day.

The big theme this year are the new aero kits, which are body work created by manufacturers Honda & Chevy that replace pieces of the original Dallara DW-12 chassis. If you look closely you can tell the difference between cars now (sadly the difference isn't quite as dramatic as the road course kits)

honda-indy-speedway-2-1.jpg

2015-verizon-indycar-series-chevrolet-aero-pkg-02-1.jpg

As these aero kits are largely untested and the Indy 500 is the first oval race of the season, this has led to a series of spectacular crashes involving Helio Castroneves, Josef Newgarden, and Ed Carpenter.

Thus far Chevy seems to have a clear advantage in speed, but anything can happen in a 500 mile race. Expect less passing and more crashing than the previous couple years.

Starting grid

Row 1

1. Scott Dixon
2. Will Power
3. Simon Pagenaud

Row 2

4. Tony Kanaan
5. Helio Castroneves
6. Justin Wilson

Row 3

7. Sebastien Bourdais
8. Marco Andretti
9. Josef Newgarden

Row 4

10. JR Hildebrand
11. Carlos Munoz
12. Ed Carpenter

Row 5

13. Oriol Servia
14. Charlie Kimball
15. Juan Pablo Montoya

Row 6

16. Ryan Hunter-Reay
17. Graham Rahal
18. Carlos Huertas

Row 7

19. Simona de Silvestro
20. James Jakes
21. Alex Tagliani

Row 8

22. Sage Karam
23. Conor Daly
24. Townsend Bell

Row 9

25. Takuma Sato
26. Pippa Mann
27. Gabby Chaves

Row 10

28. Sebastian Saavedra
29. Jack Hawksworth
30. Stefano Coletti

Row 11

31. Bryan Clauson
32. Ryan Briscoe
33. James Davison

Velcro Fly

I've been rooting for an Andretti to win this race for 25 years. At this point it feels like a Cubs world series in that it's never going to happen.

Rooting for Marco

Slo

Total racing newb here. How come no car manufactures other than Honda and Chevy are participating?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Total racing newb here. How come no car manufactures other than Honda and Chevy are participating?

Short answer: $

Long answer is politics and cash. There was a year when Penske put Mercedes engines in their cars just for the Indy 500. Those bad boys supposedly pushed out 1000 hp. This led to a rift between CART and IndyCar and ever since American open wheel racing has been shit.

Branson

Makes me sad more people havent replied in this thread. The F1 race was fun but this race has been pretty entertaining. I wish there was more crossover. IndyCar is every bit as exciting as F1 has been and more competitive as well. Looking forward to the Coke 600 tonight as well. Good day for motorsport fans!

Fox Mulder

Makes me sad more people havent replied in this thread. The F1 race was fun but this race has been pretty entertaining. I wish there was more crossover. IndyCar is every bit as exciting as F1 has been and more competitive as well. Looking forward to the Coke 600 tonight as well. Good day for motorsport fans!

Open wheel is just ignored in the US. Maybe if it had a NASCAR driver in the grid.

Slo

As a complete novice, I'm sort of annoyed that at the end of the race the leaderboard got shuffled because of some pit stop timings/strategy, and the Honda's who have been getting their shit kicked in all afternoon are now right in the mix. Now it looks like the race is going to almost end under caution.

I feel a little bit like I wasted my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom