• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 100th running of the Indianapolis 500 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefro

5ABphLv.jpg

t1464538500z1.png

The 100th running of the Indianapolis 500 is here! The race is completely sold out with a crowd of 350,000+ expected.

The race is over 100 years old, but it was not ran during some years during World War I/World War II

Starting Grid

s11zyXk.png

Things to watch:

Canadian James Hinchcliffe is on pole after literally nearly dying in an accident last in practice at IMS

Josef Newgarden and former series Champ/Indy 500 winner Ryan Hunter-Reay are 'Mericans on the front row

Penske Racing's Simon Pagenaud has won the last three races in a row

The usual suspects in Scott Dixon, Tony Kanaan, Juan Pablo Montoya, and Will Power are the evil favorites.

Chevy v.s. Honda battle of doom. Seems like the two engines are fairly even this year at Indy.

Marussia F1 alumni Max Chilton and Alex Rossi are in the field

Mikhail Aleshin has a badass DOOM-sponsored car and says his strategy for the race is to "kick ass"

wcsDhwA.jpg

Justin Wilson (RIP)'s brother Stefan is in the field, as is Matthew Brabham, grandson of Sir Jack Brabham

The usual "can Helio win his fourth?" "can Marco Andretti break the Andretti curse?" tired storylines.

Bobby Rahal co-owns a team with this bum and his son Graham Rahal is the driver

mGhZRIg.jpg

krpiper

I've never watched much of F1 only a little bit of NASCAR (casual I know) but what should I look out for?

Strategy? Drivers to watch? Basically a quick 101 is what I am after!

Mobius 1

I've never watched much of F1 only a little bit of NASCAR (casual I know) but what should I look out for?

Strategy? Drivers to watch? Basically a quick 101 is what I am after!

What's on the OP, plus crashes. And overenthusiastic TV hosts.

I've never watched this event, so I don't know any of the drivers. Didn't even realize this was an international event.

I'm going for the guy named Hildebrand, because I've been playing Final Fantasy XIV.

theWB27

I remember, as a kid, my father used to work the gates. So we'd get a cooler full of stuff and me, big brother and our best friend we considered a brother would be able to run around the whole grounds while everything was going on.

We'd only get back to the car to get something to snack on or drink.

Usually the tailgaters were always friendly enough to give some wandering kids some good ass eating.

By the end of the day we were absolutely beat. Haven't been back since I was a kid, but hopefully I'll make it back of day.

Mobius 1

I've never watched this event, so I don't know any of the drivers. Didn't even realize this was an international event.

I'm going for the guy named Hildebrand, because I've been playing Final Fantasy XIV.

It's one of the most 'Murican thing you can possibly ever watch – military parades, eagles flying around, prayers, the works. But the field is pretty diverse. There is a good number of F1 alumni running as well.

EBreda

What are they changing on nose during pit stops?

Angles on the wings to increase or decrease downforce.

Edit
Just saw a clip by Sato saying his soundtrack of choice for the 500 is Top Gun's Danger Zone.

Gets my vote now!

I love seeing these sports car guys near the front at Indy.

Pagenaud will forever have my allegiance for his badass drives at Le Mans.

Just saw a clip by Sato saying his soundtrack of choice for the 500 is Top Gun's Danger Zone.

Gets my vote now!
lmao

I remember how shitty it was when CART and IRL were split.
Still feeling the aftershocks, I think.

For example, there's no reason Danica should be in NASCAR. She's not good with those cars. She's barely in competition for top 20 finishes, and never in contention for wins. But she makes more money going on pointless sunday afternoon drives there than she did/would in Indy cars.

At least the 500 is still the 500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom