• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1 year with the new consoles... anybody going back to PC as main?

Kupfer

anybody going back to PC as main?​

Not yet. Some of my PC components (CPU / MB / RAM) are a decade old. I don't see me upgrading or buying a new computer, I don't see a real benefit over console gaming right now.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Your opinion doesn't matter
Hilary Duff Lol GIF by YoungerTV

Mattered enough for you to reply

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Prefer PC the most by far for the performance, inputs, overall utility and options, selection of games and price of games... but the convenience of consoles is nice so I use them too.

I got both new consoles at launch and probably could break gaming time down between the three to 75% PC, 20% XSX, 5% PS5.

Nothing wrong with the new consoles and they are more or less as powerful as my PC (for now at least) I just prefer being able to tweak things and also play a lot of PC exclusives (or games that may as well be exclusive as the console version is awful).

Also while it sounds ridiculous after me spending so much on PC and console hardware but I find it hard to buy the consoles version at £40-£70 when you can normally get the PC version for £20-£35.

If I didn't play games like Total War I'd probably be happy enough with either new console and no PC.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
With 120fps, and mouse and keyboard support on my console...I'm questioning if there is a need to go build a 3-4k PC...
Do you live in Brazil with those prices? Because that is insanely expensive.

Flintty

I’m happy with my mix of PC, XSX and Switch. Most games will likely be played on the XSX but now I have the man cave set up I do have the option to run a HDMI from PC to the TV for controller games.

Vagswarm

I had some interest in the new consoles for a while, but it was impossible to find one and I didn't care that much to go out of my way to get one. After I got this new laptop, there was no going back. There's really nothing I need to play on the consoles, and Halo is coming to the PC so I'm good here. I also have the Switch if anything interesting comes out for it.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
More than happy with my Series X.

It’s the only next gen hardware I need unless Sony revives Socom.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Hmm... just because I own next gen systems, does not mean I ever stopped playing PC...

Although games like Guardians of the Galaxy really bring home how far ahead multiplat games can be on PC compared to console.

Paasei

PC will always be my preferred platform. It's when I make the move to console, if ever, it will get interesting.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I did. I was able to get a ps5 initially at launch somehow, and ended up selling it due to the ridiculous prices people would pay for one and my lack of free time at the time. when i finally had time again to game, i had no luck trying to get one at msrp—so i paid $1300 to get a prebuilt pc with a 3070 and am loving it. i have no interest in getting a console anymore

show me link to buy a prebuilt with a 3070 for $1300 and I’ll buy one today.

ClosBSAS

i bought ps5 for demons souls...ps5 was fun for the first few days, then its just another console...plus all ps5 games coming to PC...will stick to PC as always. will play on ps5 when bloodborne 2 comes out, but for now, its gethering dust.

CheeseCake

Yep. Me.

I'm never going back to consoles unless Sony releases a Slim version and hopefully by then most of the games will be cheap (I'm not even sure if I'm going to get a slim version tbh, I just don't want to deal with consoles anymore)

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I recently upgraded my PC to a 5900X, a 6900XT and 64GB DDR4 3600MHz. GPU is about 2x faster than a Series X in theory, and CPU is probably close to that as well.
I also have a PS5 since launch.

Even though I have my much better PC and Gamepass, I keep going back to the PS5. It's partly because my PS5 is in the living room connected to my 65" C9, but also because right now I find the PS5 exclusives a lot more appealing.

I'm wrapping up Death Stranding Director's Cut, before that I played FFVII Intergrade, Demon's Souls 2020, Miles Morales and some others. It's just the type of games I prefer to play the most, I guess.

On the PC I played Doom Eternal which I actually bought before subscribing to Gamepass, but I stopped because it felt more like a pachinko powerup gatherer / platformer than a shooter. Now I'm playing Forza Horizon 5 but some aspects of it are downright annoying (unskippable FMVs? Really??).

I still regularly (bi-weekly?) play some multiplayer games with my friends on the PC, like Civ 6 and AoE, but for single player experiences I can't find anything on the PC that justifies leaving the couch and going to my office.
Maybe that will change a bit when I get a USB-C and a HDMI 2.1 cable from the office to the living room, but for now I feel like it's more related to content than comfort.

Graciaus

I don't see any reason not to use pc if you already have one. 95% of all games come out or can be played there. There are a lot more games you can't play on consoles then the other way around.

Azurro

Banned
I'll never use a PC as a main. To me, a PC is work, code, a place to analyse and stare at DBs and such, not to play videogames. Besides, they suck at the comfort level, since PC chairs are not as comfortable as gaming on the couch, and the PC UI when connected to a TV is atrocious.

Besides the whole PC Master Race narratives are really annoying, it's a very insecure user base.

Hezekiah

Banned
I use my PC for everything, so I never leave it anyway.
I like consoles for exclusives, but there doesn't seem to be enough on the PS5 to justify buying an overpriced tech.
I've gone between consoles and PC for the last 25 years and I've concluded this:
Whatever the tech, however you game
Just play and enjoy your time
Proving superiority of some tech won't get you into heaven ffs.

It's like cars someone would prefer a Corolla to a Corvette
It's not rational, but both are means to an end
The PS5 isn't overpriced tech - it's underpriced given the current situation.

I'm stuck on a 1000 series card so I'm mainly playing older/less demanding games, but something like BF 2042 is going to be a real issue (going to try the trial today), especially with the lack of optimisation. Same with Deathloop.

Right now those are better off played on a PS5 than anything but a top end gaming PC.

lils

No, console is the cheapest way to enjoy gaming.

I laughed when PCMR laughing at us for "fanboying over a cheap piece of plastic"

for initial cost at equivalent performance, yeah. not when you take into account online fees and more expensive games

Fbh

I'd love to switch to PC as my main platform but with the current prices I can't justify it.
An rtx3070 (not Ti) is like $1250 around here.

I'll go with consoles for now, if prices of GPU's go back to a reasonable level in a few years I'll reconsider switching to PC

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
for initial cost at equivalent performance, yeah. not when you take into account online fees and more expensive games
i personally don't find PC games cheaper as I prefer buying games Day 1, at least after converted to my country currency.
Console games has its discount and sales as well, for people who can wait its not an issue.

Subscription online fees is just 60 dollar per year, thats like...5 dollar per month, and theres always discount on PS Plus subscription, you can stack it up.

A 3xxx series GPU cost more than my whole PS5, its ridiculous.
You can build a cheaper PC , but I personally thinks there no point to build one if it isnt high end enough, i mean the point of building a gaming PC is to achieve best gaming experience.....

The PS5 isn't overpriced tech - it's underpriced given the current situation.

I'm stuck on a 1000 series card so I'm mainly playing older/less demanding games, but something like BF 2042 is going to be a real issue (going to try the trial today), especially with the lack of optimisation. Same with Deathloop.

Right now those are better off played on a PS5 than anything but a top end gaming PC.
I didn't mean its MSRP, I meant how it's priced in the market.
In Egypt, where I'm from It costs about 1200$, that's pretty overpriced if you ask me. Maybe that's a one of a kind case, but I don't think it's for a lot of people.

lils

i personally don't find PC games cheaper as I prefer buying games Day 1, at least after converted to my country currency.
Console games has its discount and sales as well, for people who can wait its not an issue.

yeah, if you buy the same games on day one it's generally the same price. but it's a simple fact that PC games get cheaper faster - for most people, that's significant.

also, thanks to just having far more games available means you can pick and choose the best value ones.

Subscription online fees is just 60 dollar per year, thats like...5 dollar per month, and theres always discount on PS Plus subscription, you can stack it up.

indeed. so let's add this up, assuming that you will use the system for four years, which is probably a conservative estimate given that consoles appeal to low-end users who may decide to keep it for longer:

60 x 4 = 240.

that's a lot, and it's going to make PC cheaper for the same performance depending on how fucked the price for each is.

A 3xxx series GPU cost more than my whole PS5, its ridiculous.
You can build a cheaper PC , but I personally thinks there no point to build one if it isnt high end enough, i mean the point of building a gaming PC is to achieve best gaming experience.....

i would agree, i have a high-end PC and i love having the best experience, but not everyone does it that way.

you don't need a 3 series gpu to beat a PS5

I doubt i ever go back to PC gaming. It's just not as convenient of an experience. I'm loving both new consoles and the Switch as well.

HTK

Banned
Yea cause EVERY single game offers those features, and lets be real even the ones that do have to make a ton of sacrifices to to hit 120fps and still struggle to do so.
Going forward with crossplay and games being sold across all platforms you will see a bigger adoption of M/KB support. In terms of 120fps obviously that's going to be limited to the game it makes the most sense for, mostly shooters. I play Vanguard and Warzone in 120FPS the games look fine. Vanguard looks great, so I don't get the feeling of being robbed visually by Vanguard running at 120fps with not too many dips below that.

AJUMP23

I like gaming on my PC especially RTS and Strategy games that just easier with a mouse, but for the most part I like playing on my consoles.

Hezekiah

Banned
I didn't mean its MSRP, I meant how it's priced in the market.
In Egypt, where I'm from It costs about 1200$, that's pretty overpriced if you ask me. Maybe that's a one of a kind case, but I don't think it's for a lot of people.
Damn that is a lot.

I agree paying a scalper simply isn't worth it, and if the shops are charging that then that is pretty crazy.

Problem is GPU prices are even worse. I've been wanting to upgrade for a whole year now.

I only upgraded to my XSX so I could play Forza & Halo with my cats on the sofa. Since working from home been getting too tired to then stay at my desk more to play games. Not sure if this is an age related issue.

Still enjoy using the 3090 on the weekends :D

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Of course. PSN and MS Store can't compete with the deals on PC (and aren't trying to as they own the storefront). I migrate a lot of my games to console if they support controllers and perform well, but this is done grudgingly as policies on console are in the stoneage compared to STEAM (the hell can't you upgrade game editions on consoles).

Top Bottom