• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS: Rising - New Details leaked? Guy says he played the PC version (alpha build)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Banned
I can't wait to see Raiden be a Cybord Ninja myself!

I came into this expecting a real leak, like the early copies of MGS4 being out and about with people backing up their claims, but this just seems like an absurd, bogus claim.

Which is strange, because Konami usually gets a lot of their stuff leaked that's usually right. This happens a lot with Castlevania, particularly.

Zep

Banned
I thought Konami said sword movements were going to be on the right analog when they showed it off? I know the guy is bullshit, but seen nobody mention this(unless Im wrong)

ArjanN

Not that I find this guy very credible sounding, but:

Wazzim said:
He speaks of slowdown in a PC game? You would think the guys letting him play would have a rig good enough to handle an Alpha code if it runs on the old engine.

It's quite normal for alpha versions of games to have slowdown. I'd say it's pretty much standard even.

Zep said:
I thought Konami said sword movements were going to be on the right analog when they showed it off? I know the guy is bullshit, but seen nobody mention this(unless Im wrong)

I don't remember them saying this. Even then in an alpha build they could have just not implemented it yet.

duckroll

This info is probably all true. I mean, it sounds totally convincing. I'm convinced! Aren't you convinced? On another note, I have some land on Saturn I'm selling, big discounts to any gaffers who are interested, first come first serve basis. PM me for more details...

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
duckroll said:
This info is probably all true. I mean, it sounds totally convincing. I'm convinced! Aren't you convinced? On another note, I have some land on Saturn I'm selling, big discounts to any gaffers who are interested, first come first serve basis. PM me for more details...

I'll buy the land if it has a good view to Titan

webrunner

Radogol said:
Square button on a PC?

on a pc all the buttons are square!

Well except space, ctrl, alt, shift, sometimes the windows key, enter, backspace, backslash, sometimes that right click menu key that noobdy really ever uses, capslock, tab, and insert.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
duckroll said:

Would you consider to trade that land in Saturn for my farm in Pluton? I mean, it's off limits and everything, but the place is great.

eso76

The guy is right, this is MGS5.

Wait for Kojima to pull a reverse MGS2 on us; you might think you'll be playing as Raiden, but after the brief first chapter and for the rest of the game you'll actually be playing as Solid Snake.

Yes.

Also, game clearly runs on the same engine as MGS4 because the environment looks the same as MGS4's first chapter !1

duckroll said:
I PMed, thinking you're giving away Sega Saturn. Read your post again and it's an even better deal!!

Radogol

I recently had a chance to play Skyrim for a bit. Please keep in mind that it was an alpha version, so all this is a subject to change.

Gameplay

The gameplay was fun, very much like Oblivion, and yet a little different. In short, I really enjoyed playing the game and all of its nuances, both old and new.

Graphics

The graphics are not uber-realistic, but also not cartoony. I've noticed a few glitches and some animations looked wierd, but most likely it's because I was playing an alpha version.

Sound

The sound reminded me of Oblivion. There were a lot of familiar samples but maybe that's just because it was alpha. There were also new sound effects. The music was very good, although there's no way to tell if it's final. Overall, I enjoyed the sound.

Summary

Despite some issues, which may be attributed to the build I played being an early version, Skyrim is GOTY material for sure.

eso76

eso76 said:
The guy is right, this is MGS5.

Wait for Kojima to pull a reverse MGS2 on us; you might think you'll be playing as Raiden, but after the brief first chapter and for the rest of the game you'll actually be playing as Solid Snake.

Think of it, 2 is a flipped 5, especially with MGS fonts.
Reverse MGS2 right there, confirmed.
Just the kind of game Kojima likes playing on us.

no i don't believe any of this myself

ArjanN

Even if this is true it really doesn't tell us anything new, so it's kind of irrelevant.

There's bound to be a big MGS Rising blowout at E3, just wait for that.

I'm not saying it's not fake, but "Pressed the Square button" is a weird thing to cry foul on, since plenty of gamers use DS3 drivers for PC.

Nocebo

Radogol said:
I recently had a chance to play Skyrim for a bit. Please keep in mind that it was an alpha version, so all this is a subject to change.

Gameplay

The gameplay was fun, very much like Oblivion, and yet a little different. In short, I really enjoyed playing the game and all of its nuances, both old and new.

Graphics

The graphics are not uber-realistic, but also not cartoony. I've noticed a few glitches and some animations looked wierd, but most likely it's because I was playing an alpha version.

Sound

The sound reminded me of Oblivion. There were a lot of familiar samples but maybe that's just because it was alpha. There were also new sound effects. The music was very good, although there's no way to tell if it's final. Overall, I enjoyed the sound.

Summary

Despite some issues, which may be attributed to the build I played being an early version, Skyrim is GOTY material for sure.
Pff don't listen to this guy, that's old news! I recently got a chance to play the next Elder scrolls game (the one after Skyrim)
Here's my report:

Thankfully in the line of work I do (Professional Pizza Logistics engineer), I get to visit the development studios of some interesting games and while they decide who's turn it is to hand out the tip I get to sit down and play said games. Luckily I've come to know the gents at Bethesda who are have started work on Elder Scrolls VI: Elseweyr. This is a look at the Console version. Since the PC platform is completely dead.

Please bear in mind this is obviously not a finished product, or even near. And my review is NOT even of a free roam play through, but rather bits and pieces of different aspects they have completed. I also obviously do not have the game in my hands, I simply have what I remember from the sixty minutes of gametime I was able to enjoy. Enjoy.

**This review will simply be broken down into the standard categories of graphics, gameplay, controls, sound, etc. to simplify the experience so far**

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Graphics*

The graphical atmosphere of the game overall looks very similar to Skyrim. From what I was told, they've simply taken the engine from Skyrim and upgraded and tweaked it (next gen has more ram available for one thing so they had more to work with). I myself am NOT a game programmer, so I do not know any technical aspects of engines, haha, so forgive my ignorance on that subject.

The textures of the walls, horses (and their armors!), trees, buildings and streets look pretty intense. There were some slow-downs in the heavy battles of the large "Hill Giants" as well as in some low-action scenes of sneaking in dungeons and walking around the forests, cities, basically anywhere. I can only imagine this is due to the fact that it's in Alpha still. Though to be fair, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim for the PS3 did have slowdowns in some areas, namely the part where you first met the Dragon attacking the city.

The character models, especially of the player character, are noteworthy for their realistic qualities. A lot of games nowadays seem to make the main character you play as have really good textures and modeling, while leaving your enemies or NPC's to be stuck with de-colored bland models. It was very refreshing to see the hobbit looking soldiers up to par with main character's overall look.

One aspect I am always VERY picky about on games are their graphical effects; water, fire, smoke, etc. I was really expecting TES6: Elseweyr to have amazing effects, but it seems they are on the same level as TES5. Now that's not to say that they are bad or not uber-realistic, not by any means, I am simply stating that I was expecting them to be taken to a whole new level than where they were. Than again, I can imagine they would be getting a boost later on as the game gets more developed. The blood-spattering effects are also very cool. I especially like how the blood can stay on your weapons and sword, as well as your body; it gives the game a more mature-oriented ****that I really have enjoyed from previous TES games.

Overall, I would have to give high praise to the Graphics of The Elder Scrolls 6: Elseweyr. Though there are understandably areas of improvement to be had due to the early stage development, it is quite clear they are moving in a great direction with the game.

*Gameplay/Controls*

Given that TES6 is simply the same engine as TES5 but tweaked and upgraded, those who played and enjoyed TES6 will have a somewhat decent idea of how TES6: Elseweyr will playout. In the same stance as TES5, the game has a more action-oriented ****to it. Instead of the dull impersonal first person perspective, TES6 only has a 3RD person perspective available, this might come as a surprise but they really fleshed it out this time.

While the action-based combat is a good thing, there was one aspect that I didn't really feel meshed well with the game: the character movement. It seemed to me that moving the main character around was similar to Fallout: New Vegas: You could move the character's body without actually having his feet move. Now I can easily chalk that up to the fact that it's so early in development, but I must still have hope that that was not an aspect they were trying to achieve, as it would really hinder an otherwise great game.

The motions the main character makes when he slashes his sword are about the same as in the previous TES games (though it has improved since Oblivion thanks to Skyrim). As soon as you hit the Square button to start an attack, you lunge forward and moves into a slashing stance as he throws down the blade before drawing it back up to his shoulder in one quick, smooth motion. I would have liked it to be more smooth and not so defined, but again, it is likely just from being Alpha still. The cool aspect of the gameplay was the Cover system. I LOVE Cover systems! The absolute most exciting aspect of this cover system was something I had never seen before.

When you have your character behind a horse, the side of a wall, or really any cover (except behind the dead "body" of the Frost antonarch (sp?), for some odd reason) you can lunge out from behind the cover with your sword drawn and slash apart any mudcrab in one swift action; very cool! I found myself using this tactic many times, even in the heat of battle (with mudcrabs mostly), because it was simply too awesome, haha, god I hate mudcrabs. Hopefully we'll be seeing more abilities of that nature in the final product of the game, because it was simply too cool for words.

Overall, even including the awkward stick-like movements, I would say there are some amazing aspects to the controls of TES6: Elseweyr that will truly be an awe-inspiring adventure to partake in.

*Sound/Music*

The Sound & Music of video games are some of the most simplist aspects that accompany said product. It's unfortunate that in most games today, developers and/or publishers tend to accept low-quality audio in even their most privileged of games. I am very happy to report that, as is customary in The Elder Scrolls games, all aspects of the audio in this game are perfectly spot-on. Even though I didn't get to experience any story-heavy moments in the game, which would surely have had some amazing booming music, I still found the music to be quite enjoyable. It was mostly your typical serene exploration music that accompanies these types of games, but it seemed to have its own unique twist and sound that really brought together the exploration of various vistas.

The sound effects for the wild life, the footsteps, magic spells, gurgling death throws, etc. were all top-notch. There wasn't much critique that could be had for them. It did seem like the sounds used so far werejust re-hashed from Skyrim, which is very likely to be the case since the game is so early in development I doubt they've penned a huge orchestra for game music just yet. The most thrilling aspect, and my most favorite in games, is the fire ball explosions.

When you 're casting a maxed out fireball with explosion modifier, the sound of the ball searing the air around it as it speeds its way towards your enemies is absolutely astounding! I am always partial to games that have those deep, resonating sounds in fireballs that make you actually feel like you're really casting a spell, and TES6: Elseweyr is definitely one of those games.

**Overall Thoughts of The Game**

From the moment I sat down at Bethesda's studio till they told me to get the hell out, I knew I was in for something amazing. I wasn't quite sure what to completely expect from the game so far, especially being that it is so early in development, but nonetheless, I was impressed. It really seems Howard is taking the game in a great direction. I didn't get to learn a whole lot about the story of the game, as that is being kept secret from me (Though the Bethesda guys hinted that it had something to do with "Wizards"), the little bit I saw in the game details the main character's inner battles with his mind as his torturous rise to becoming a "Smegma pillar" has taken its toll on his body. It looks as though there will be some amazing moments where the main character is seen as having a suicidal-depressed notion in his mind and doesn't seem to really have much regard for his life.

All in all, I am really looking forward to The Elder Scrolls 6: Elseweyr and I think it will be one of the greatest games of the new decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom