• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1 year with the new consoles... anybody going back to PC as main?

MDSLKTR

Ya quick resume and haptics are nice but have you ever remastered your own damn games? You should after GTA trilogy.
BF2042 just flows so much better with a kb&m, nowadays devs don't even bother making proper console menus and I don't remember messing with deadzone settings in the past as much I did this gen.
And now games like Gotg and Forza are comfortably pulling away from console graphic presets.
Also who needs E3 when we got nvidia database leaks.

giphy.gif

Damn it feels good to be back.

I use my PC for everything, so I never leave it anyway.
I like consoles for exclusives, but there doesn't seem to be enough on the PS5 to justify buying an overpriced tech.
I've gone between consoles and PC for the last 25 years and I've concluded this:
Whatever the tech, however you game
Just play and enjoy your time
Proving superiority of some tech won't get you into heaven ffs.

It's like cars someone would prefer a Corolla to a Corvette
It's not rational, but both are means to an end

MastAndo

Nah, not yet. Though my PC is capable of better graphics, I like the Quick Resume, better HDR and faster load times on the XSX (old SSD in my PC, I suppose). It's also just less of a fuss with no tinkering and things look generally pretty darn great upon first boot.

I'm also finding that I enjoy compartmentalizing things - I switch over to Xbox when it's time to game and use my PC for work, browsing and media consumption. It's not completely out of play though, as I just played AoE4 for a bit on it.

I never really left PC. It's just that the Series X beats it in almost everyway. Memory usage, CPU speed, GPU capability, Power draw, The Fans dB, The footprint size, The SSD speed, The quick resume(when it's available).
The only thing my PC does better is Surfing the Web with addons that keep the Ads at bay. Those ever increasing Youtube Ads.
I'm sure to build a new PC 'someday' but not anytime soon.
"Series PC" I can dream.

Midn1ght

I have a 11600k\3060 Ti combo and a PS5 and I'm currently at a crossroad having to choose one or the other.

I've been primarily on PC for 10 years and absolutely love it but the current situation with hardware prices is making me reconsider. The price you have to pay to get a decent rig or even just upgrading these days is completely out of control and the return you get vs consoles is not worth it in my opinion. I've always been fine to pay more to get all the extras and I know it's not only about power but paying 3 - 4 times the price of a console to barely get better results is just depressing.

Being with Intel and having to buy a new Mobo every 2 generation sucks and power consumption is also out of control.

The only thing that keeps me going is how much i invested in my steam library and how pc gets almost every games now. I'll probably wait for Nvidia 4000 specs and prices but with how it went for the 3000 series with stocks, scalpers and how retails here in Europe just add 300 - 400 over msrp anyway, I just have very little hope.

On the other side, games on consoles are too expensive and you have to pay for online so I don't know, I might just start collecting postcards and magnets as a new hobby.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

PC has been my main for awhile now TBH. Everything just feels more comfortable and better for me there.

I played my PS5 a ton when I was deep into Demon's Souls, but I haven't really touched it since. :\

Robb

Gold Member
Nah, though I do miss keyboard and mouse controls in certain games.. But I’d rather more developers implement gyro controls in more games tbh.

it really sucks that MS doesn’t even include gyro in the Xbox controllers imo.

Last edited:

Banned
not necessarily as my main, but I AM SO GLAD to have one that is, let's call it next gen ready...

I played the beta for Elden Ring and it ran like PURE shit on Xbox Series X... so I'll go with the PC version for that for sure.
I got back into PC gaming in general because I could simply not stand the shitty framerates anymore last gen, so I first got a Ryzen 2600 + GTX 1070oc PC, but now have a new one since a few weeks that has a Ryzen 5600X and an RTX 3060ti.
the old one was perfect for last gen games all maxed and at 60+fps, now I have one that can do current gen games with ok-ish raytracing at pretty high settings (so far) and at 60+ FPS...

currently playing Forza Horizon 5 on both the Series X and the PC. I can play it on PC with higher settings than Series X's Quality Mode at a locked 1440p72fps (I locked it at half refresh)
Cyberpunk with DLSS Quality at 1440p runs with relatively high (almost max) settings and with raytracing reflections on at 60-80fps depending on load, which is most likely way better than the new consoles will ever run it.

but I still have the consoles for the easy use on my TV

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Yes.

I had and sold a Series X. I still have a PS5, but am very close to selling. I managed to get a decent prebuilt with a 3070ti and an ultrawide monitor. It’s really hard to go back to even 4K after gaming in ultrawide at 165 fps. Sony games coming to Steam and the Steam Deck are the icing on the cake.

I can see my bread and butter being PC, Switch and retro going forward.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I game on both. 3080 pc and ps5.
pc can have better power but ps5 got faster loading, is cheaper, quieter, got nice 3d audio, and got that nice controller… and is a bit more care free when it comes to just launching and playing.
That said, I recently use pc a bit more

I play all consoles and PC. But i love the next gen ness of my PC its laptop RTX 3080…20 TFLOPS no
Console can match certain graphic settings and fidelity… but TLOU II (1.8 TFLOPS) is still one of the the best looking games out so theres that.

Last edited:
For me? Yeah, more or less. Tho mainly I'm just playing retro games ATM; eventually early next year I'll prob get a GPU and eGPU for my laptop, and build a decent rig later in the year I can swap that GPU into when I need more RAM and CPU power (or when I want to play on that versus laptop).

PC being a great spot (pretty much best spot, at least until Analogue OS comes out in which case stuff like Mega SG and Super NT will be the best spot for MegaDrive & SNES/SFC games for me) for retro games, maybe MiSTER alongside that for very specific systems that have poor emulation currently. All the MS 1P games I want to play (FH5, Starfield etc.) will be there, either on Steam or GamePass tho I'll opt to buy games like Starfield since I only have time for but so many games anyway and use GP for some of the smaller indie titles I don't end up buying.

Sony seem to be bringing more of their 1P games to PC so might as well play them there to keep all my gaming on one device. Tho I doubt they do Day-and-Date for most of their games I'm okay with waiting 6 months/1 year or so for the ones I really want, even the story-based ones (just avoid watching too much footage in the meantime, that's what I'm doing with SMT 5 before it hopefully comes to PC). I may pick up a Series S or PS5 Digital tho for family and share gaming on those (more likely we'll just split on one of those because I'm mainly gonna be on PC).

Nintendo is a weird one because there are definitely Switch games I want to play like Mario Odyssey, the new Kirby game etc. but I don't support Nintendo's hardware, and won't until Switch 2 and that's if Switch 2 has decent specs compared to say a Steam Deck. They barely ever drop prices on their games, either. So I can just buy the games I want and play them on a Switch emulator, which seems to be very good these days.

The 3P games I want to play like SF6, Guilty Gear etc. will have PC versions and those have the extra benefit of the modding scene, so might as well get them there. That said tho, I'll probably get some Xbox/PlayStation peripherals for PC. Xbox and Dualsense controllers, and if it has PC support, PSVR2. Because I would rather get that over current VR solutions I'm aware of, it seems like it'll have the best specs and value for money.

So yeah, sounds like a gameplan hope to stick by it 😁👍

I did. I was able to get a ps5 initially at launch somehow, and ended up selling it due to the ridiculous prices people would pay for one and my lack of free time at the time. when i finally had time again to game, i had no luck trying to get one at msrp—so i paid $1300 to get a prebuilt pc with a 3070 and am loving it. i have no interest in getting a console anymore

mxbison

I'd like to play more on my PS5, but this year there have hardly been any games that interested me so I spent most of the time on PC playing old games or trying out stuff on GamePass.

FPS are the only thing I care about on PC now that rigs are so expensive and digital sales are bad. I went with Steam because of cheap games but consoles are better platforms otherwise.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They are all my mains, but stuff like quick resume has spoilt me. Xbox is so damn fast. Ps5 too with loading in most exclusives.

like I’ve said, ps5 for exclusives. Xbox or pc for third parties depends on the game.

pqueue

1 year with teh consoles... who all is pretty much playing games exclusively on PC these days.
PC gaming doesn't matter.
it does if you actually want to play games, and a wide variety of games. not just the 3-5 titles you might get lucky and be spoon fed by your Sony, or Nintendo, or Microsoft.

but as someone already said... it doesn't matter "to you". And thank god "you" do not speak for everyone else.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Yeah, PC only right now, gave away all my consoles and peripherals. It's been 25 years since I didn't have a single console in my room.

I am tempted to buy a PS5, but I'm waiting to see how Sony will evolve its policy concerning ps game ports coming to PC.

If they become day one like in xbox, I'm not coming back, ever.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

My only issue with the console is blur.............Motion blur (excluding POMB), AF blur, AA blur, Reconstruction Blur etc.
So yeah PC it is.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My only issue with the console is blur.............Motion blur (excluding POMB), AF blur, AA blur, Reconstruction Blur etc.
So yeah PC it is.
You need 4k quality DLSS to eliminate blur and shimmering... and force x16 af.
That said - it's not too bad on new consoles really

VN1X

Banned
Ya quick resume and haptics are nice but have you ever remastered your own damn games? You should after GTA trilogy.
BF2042 just flows so much better with a kb&m, nowadays devs don't even bother making proper console menus and I don't remember messing with deadzone settings in the past as much I did this gen.
And now games like Gotg and Forza are comfortably pulling away from console graphic presets.
Also who needs E3 when we got nvidia database leaks.

giphy.gif

Damn it feels good to be back.
My god...

GAF's really stupid sometimes isn't it?

yamaci17

i'm having a blast with my 3070, i would never consider consoles at this point

cyberchunk = 1440p+dlss quality+ray tracing+optimized settings = decent 50-70 fps (console at 1100-1300p, 45-60 fps, few npcs, lastgen settings, no ray tracing, still waiting for the coveted nextgen patch)
fh 5 = 2160p+2x msaa+optimized settings = decent 70-100 fps (console at 1800-2160p, 60 fps, no option for 1440p/1620p+uncapped framerate, forced to play 60 fps even in the circumstance where the hardware and the screen is capable of supporting more)

back 4 blood = 1620p = 100-120 fps (console at 2160p 60 fps locked. again, no uncapped VRR mode for 120/144 hz screen users. no lower internal resolution choice.)

kena bridge of spirits = 1620p+optimized settings = 75-90 fps (console at 1800p-2160p 60 fps locked. no uncapped VRR mode again)

as long as there's no options for uncapped framerate and internal resolutions, i will never consider consoles as an alternative choice. i would only consider them if i had a screen that does not have VRR and is not 120 hz.

if a person has a 1440p 144 hz screen, they should have the freedom to run the game with 1440p internal resolution. yes, you get 1440p UI, but that's not cutting it. a game that runs at 55-60 fps at 1800p would run 75-90 fps at 1440p resolution. they simply don't give that choice to some players. this is just unacceptable for me

maybe its just me, i just don't like not having control over my games and at which settings / presets they run

oh, no option to disable vsync. another huge deal breaker for me. i'm not even delving into past games :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom