• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Rick and Morty’ Season 7 Trailer Debuts Fired Creator Justin Roiland’s Voice Replacements

Draugoth

Gold Member
The seventh season of “Rick and Morty” is set to debut next month on Adult Swim, but things might sound a bit strange.

The trailer for the new season has been released, and while the sci-fi hijinks look consistent with past seasons, the title characters sound slightly different. That’s because series co-creator Justin Roiland, who voices both Rick and Morty, was fired in January by Adult Swim after he was charged with domestic violence. The charges were dismissed in March by the Orange County District Attorney’s office.

After Roiland’s departure, Adult Swim announced it was going to recast the voices with soundalikes. The new voices are heard in the trailer, but the replacement talent has not yet been named.

“It’s happening,” Michael Ouweleen, president of Adult Swim, said in a press release accompanying the trailer. “Thanks to the talent of the entire show team, we can all enjoy 10 new episodes that yet again raise the bar for comedy and animation. This season proves that the geniuses at work on ‘Rick and Morty’ are just getting started.”

Sounds really close to the originals, at least from memory.

Maybe a bit better as sounds less grating? I don’t know I have bad hearing.

Blackage

You can tell it's not Justin, but they're very close to the original voices, hopefully they'll improve as they voice the role over time in various things.

Little Mac

Gold Member
It’s been a minute since I haven’t binged the latest season but from what I hear in the trailer, it sounds like the Rick I’m used to hearing. Nothing noticeable or distracting to me.

Heart Attack Close Call GIF by reactionseditor

Last edited:

mitch1971

Maybe a bit better as sounds less grating? I don’t know I have bad hearing.

Reason I couldn't get through the first couple of episodes of season 1. Was like someone was sticking knives in my ears. And, the tone of the voices was like hitting the same key on a piano over and over.

Last edited:

ElRenoRaven

You can tell they're not Justin but they're pretty close so I'm 100 percent ok with the casting of whoever they got to do these. Won't ruin my imersion into the series with these.

FeralEcho

I was expecting it to be distracting but it honestly sounds so close its barely noticeable.I'm positively surprised by this.They did an amazing job with the new casting.

Toots

Gold Member
Voice sounds close enough not to be distracting, the jokes on the other hand :/
"I said it quietly. Shut up"
I hope it's the episode where Rick exchange his brain with a dumb gen z screenwriter.

Fbh

Rick is pretty spot on. In like 85-90% of those scenes I probably wouldn't have been able to tell it's a different actor if I didn't know.
Morty is clearly different but still sounds ok, and is done in a similar style than the original.

The voice sound to off. Also the show will not be the same, Justin did a lot of impromptu takes during the recordings. Not going to get that with the two replacements (sounds like they might have used ai - voice post production).

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Rick is pretty spot on. In like 85-90% of those scenes I probably wouldn't have been able to tell it's a different actor if I didn't know.
Morty is clearly different but still sounds ok, and is done in a similar style than the original.
Huh. To me Morty sounded closer. Rick's okay when he speaks normally but when he shouts it's much more noticeable.

Codes 208

Seeing as he was cleared, should just hire him back and tell everyone to bugger off if they complain.
He was cleared for the domestic abuse, but not for the allegations of sexual misconduct with others, including minors

WB and even Dan Harmon (co-maker of Rick and morty) want nothing to do with him now

YCoCg

The voice sound to off. Also the show will not be the same, Justin did a lot of impromptu takes during the recordings. Not going to get that with the two replacements (sounds like they might have used ai - voice post production).
In recent years he's done less and less impromptu takes, towards the end they said he just came in and read the scripts and ghosted, and that's IF he couldn't record his lines elsewhere and send them in instead. Dan Harmon even stated that he's not had a proper conversation with Justin since 2019.

Blade2.0

Just watched the new season 7 episode. I think the new voices did a good job. I haven't done a rewatch recently, but I liked it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I didn't realize season 7 had started, and last night I watched a youtube vid from some random channel with "animation" in the name, assuming it was a fan-made Rick and Morty scene. It turns out it was just a full 3 minute scene from the season 7 opener. But before I realized that, a few thoughts ran through my mind:
1. "This animation is insanely good for it being fan-made."
2. "The jokes are pretty good but obviously not as good as the real show."
3. "These AI voices are getting really impressive, but you can tell they're a bit off."

Of course I later realized that was just a real scene from the new episode and felt dumb, but to be fair, I was a little high when I watched the vid.

I don't really have a point to this post, though.

Skyfox

I stopped after season 3. I bet this was around the time this stuff started and it's understandable he'd phone it in during this time.

WAs a great show but I'm done.

K' Dash

I stopped after season 3. I bet this was around the time this stuff started and it's understandable he'd phone it in during this time.

WAs a great show but I'm done.

Every season after 3 had half of the episodes range from great to amazing IMO, they're worth watching. I think they should start looking into giving this a finale and make a couple movies.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
First episode was fun. Rick sounds just a bit off, but if I don’t know it wasn’t Roiland I’d probably just think he was getting older or something. PBH sounded more off tbh, and not much Morty at all to speak of.

It's just fucking pathetic that he was kicked out over an allegation that was proven to be false and then not asked to come back.

Fuck off with this shit. Hopefully he makes something new and this show dies.

K2D

Banned
Yeah, he was kicked out because he had an alcohol problem and people didn't like him. The fake allegations where the excuse they needed. But the alcohol was part of their creative prosess, and the studio are partly to blame. That's Hollywood, and LA and corporate America for you.

Doom85

It's just fucking pathetic that he was kicked out over an allegation that was proven to be false and then not asked to come back.

Yeah, he was kicked out because he had an alcohol problem and people didn't like him. The fake allegations where the excuse they needed. But the alcohol was part of their creative prosess, and the studio are partly to blame. That's Hollywood, and LA and corporate America for you.

”A fucking 14 year old that looks like she’s 18, and like big titties, of course I’m attracted to that! That‘s why this whole Chris Hansen thing, fuck you man!

I’m not a pedophile though.” - Justin Roiland

The Rock Sunglasses GIF

A text to a minor from the ”non-pedophile” Justin Roiland:

”You should just run away from home and go into sex slavery YOU FUCKING STUPID F****T BITCH!!!”

I Cant Steve Harvey GIF
I Cant Poison Ivy GIF
Jimmy Fallon What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Sarcastic Yeah Right GIF by MOODMAN

……………..so:

Season 3 What GIF by Paramount+

”A fucking 14 year old that looks like she’s 18, and like big titties, of course I’m attracted to that! That‘s why this whole Chris Hansen thing, fuck you man!

I’m not a pedophile though.” - Justin Roiland

The Rock Sunglasses GIF

A text to a minor from the ”non-pedophile” Justin Roiland:

”You should just run away from home and go into sex slavery YOU FUCKING STUPID F****T BITCH!!!”

I Cant Steve Harvey GIF
I Cant Poison Ivy GIF
Jimmy Fallon What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Sarcastic Yeah Right GIF by MOODMAN

……………..so:

Season 3 What GIF by Paramount+

Yea that twitter thread is obviously pretty weird. But he never went through with anything right? I'm not sure why anyone would do that.

He's obviously not perfectly right in the head. Just look at R&M, your average person is not even remotely thinking of any of those concepts.

The video however? That's actually pretty funny. Comedy has no limits even if it sounds really fucked up.

And he's not wrong about what happened only 100 years ago. It's an interesting point. Most people are just too shy to discuss something like that. It doesn't mean it's right.

Thaedolus

Gold Member

There was more than the domestic violence allegation, as detailed above

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Edgy comic makes edgy jokes... News at 11.

People are really stretching to call any of this "grooming". Sorry. But I remember when that term had a specific meaning; i.e. describing an older person covertly manipulating an underage person into a sexual liaison.

Spicy banter and dirty jokes to an underage person are inappropriate, obviously, but its not remotely the same thing as trying to coerce them into sharing nudes or some sort of meeting for nefarious purposes.

Nobody is "damaged" by hearing or reading fucking jokes!

Doom85

Edgy comic makes edgy jokes... News at 11.

People are really stretching to call any of this "grooming". Sorry. But I remember when that term had a specific meaning; i.e. describing an older person covertly manipulating an underage person into a sexual liaison.

Spicy banter and dirty jokes to an underage person are inappropriate, obviously, but its not remotely the same thing as trying to coerce them into sharing nudes or some sort of meeting for nefarious purposes.

Nobody is "damaged" by hearing or reading fucking jokes!

The company’s image is damaged. When you are one of the co-creators and the voice of the two leads, plenty of people associate you with the show. And if you start telling a minor to go into sex slavery (with a good old homophobic slur to boot) and it’s also discovered you said stuff in the past that makes said texts look worse, well, it shouldn’t be a shock what ends up happening.

The podcast shit, as creepy sounding as it is (weird to call it humor, I’m guessing nobody here has a teenage daughter, lord knows I wouldn’t be laughing if one of my friends started saying that shit and I had a daughter in her teens. Also Justin should work on tone as he sounds like he is making a defensive argument and not joking around ), could have been overlooked but the texts just sealed his fate. Christ, why is anyone well into adulthood texting an underage girl? It’s irrelevant what you even say, unless she’s family or something or there‘s a professional connection like you’re her teacher and you’re focused on purely her schoolwork, you’re already crossing a line for most people by speaking to them that much. I’m not a celebrity, but when two girls of questionable age complimented my shirt when I was at the theater four years ago, I thanked them, then they continued to try to talk to me, and I lied and said my movie was about to start and walked away. Anyone with five functioning brain cells and the most basic understanding of boundaries would do the same.

The company is fully within their rights to give him the boot. If they violated a contract by doing so, it surely would have been brought to our attention now. It’s within Justin’s rights to act like a fool, just as it’s also within the company’s rights to not have their product be represented by someone acting like a fool. That’s how businesses work, at least in the US. Nobody is saying you can’t act like a clown and be protected by the law from arrest as long as you didn’t actually break or violate a law, but likewise a company has their rights to not employ people with such behavior. The law is there to support individuals AND businesses, so boo hoo, Justin, the law protected you from arrest, but it also protects the company from having to be shackled with your employment in the future.

Actions have consequences. The podcast shit could have been overlooked, it really doesn’t sound like he’s joking there, but it’s iffy enough he could be in the clear. The texts though, no, hardly anyone will think that’s acceptable on any level. Justin should count himself lucky because that kind of behavior usually results in a father showing up to his door with a baseball bat. And just so we’re clear, I’m not promoting such vigilante behavior, but I also wouldn’t be shocked if a parent was that angry upon finding out a 43 year old was saying things like that to their teenage child.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Actions have consequences.

Well, duh! Thanks for that astonishingly redundant observation under the circumstances.

Honestly, if its not proven in a court of law I don't give a shit. Because when you start dishing out "consequences" for stuff less than that you're opening the door to all kinds of excesses.

Doom85

Well, duh! Thanks for that astonishingly redundant observation under the circumstances.

Honestly, if it’s not proven in a court of law I don't give a shit. Because when you start dishing out "consequences" for stuff less than that you're opening the door to all kinds of excesses.

And businesses don’t care for excuses either. Either join a Union, or somehow get a contract that guarantees a certain length of employment. If not, well, you play with fire at your own risk. Justin knew the risks and played anyway. I don’t give a shit that he’s fired because that’s how the law works within businesses.

And if consequences aren’t dealt out, that just enables clowns to go further as they possibly can. When you represent a product that is a source of significant revenue for the company and has plenty of other employees attached to it, you get your fucking shit together. It’s not complicated. I’m not losing sleep over the fact that Justin doesn’t know how employment works or that texting a random minor shit like that is a bad idea. Dumbasses like him need to, as a famous artist once said, “snap back to reality”.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
And if consequences aren’t dealt out, that just enables clowns to go further as they possibly can. When you represent a product that is a source of significant revenue for the company and has plenty of other employees attached to it, you get your fucking shit together. It’s not complicated. I’m not losing sleep over the fact that Justin doesn’t know how employment works or that texting a random minor shit like that is a bad idea. Dumbasses like him need to, as a famous artist once said, “snap back to reality”.

Well, if you materially weaken the product by shit-canning its lead you're going to have problems anyway, so I don't see the diff!

But that's by the by; Let me explain my problem with this sort of trial in the court of public opinion.

I abhor the whole "actions have consequences" line because its idiotically simplistic. If the "consequences" in itself is an "action", then your consequences have consequences by the exact same logic. How could this possibly go wrong...

The point about the law being the line that needs to be observed can be neatly summed up with the analogy that the entire legal system is just a kind of measuring instrument. And like any measuring instrument its not going to be infallible, because no matter how flawless its mechanical design is, it can be misused and made inaccurate by human error.

So, what do we do with that understanding? Decide that because the instrument isn't always flawlessly accurate, we might as well just eyeball the results? Because replacing actual or quasi-objectivity with a double dose of subjectivity is going to prove more reliable in the long run?

NO! We don't do that because its evidently moronic and just going to result in worse outcomes. The rational response is to improve the instrument and train people in how not to misuse it.

You have to trust in some sort of process, or else all bets are off. Roiland was effectively found guilty and punished entirely extra-judicially and that's not a "win" for anyone but those who take vicarious delight in watching his downfall.

We all lose, because we're creating a climate where guilt and punishment is meted out subjectively by those with the power to enforce it.

Last edited:

Doom85

Well, if you materially weaken the product by shit-canning its lead you're going to have problems anyway, so I don't see the diff!

But that's by the by; Let me explain my problem with this sort of trial in the court of public opinion.

I abhor the whole "actions have consequences" line because its idiotically simplistic. If the "consequences" in itself is an "action", then your consequences have consequences by the exact same logic. How could this possibly go wrong...

The point about the law being the line that needs to be observed can be neatly summed up with the analogy that the entire legal system is just a kind of measuring instrument. And like any measuring instrument its not going to be infallible, because no matter how flawless its mechanical design is, it can be misused and made inaccurate by human error.

So, what do we do with that understanding? Decide that because the instrument isn't always flawlessly accurate, we might as well just eyeball the results? Because replacing actual or quasi-objectivity with a double dose of subjectivity is going to prove more reliable in the long run?

NO! We don't do that because its evidently moronic and just going to result in worse outcomes. The rational response is to improve the instrument and train people in how not to misuse it.

You have to trust in some sort of process, or else all bets are off. Roiland was effectively found guilty and punished entirely extra-judicially and that's not a "win" for anyone but those who take vicarious delight in watching his downfall.

We all lose, because we're creating a climate where guilt and punishment is meted out subjectively by those with the power to enforce it.

How is the product damaged by firing him? People who know Justin was the voice actor will most likely know what he did. People who don’t know who Justin is will simply notice the voices changed which is a frequent occurrence in animation.

And no, a business does not have to tolerate such behavior and be expected to train a 43 year old man in obvious shit like “don’t text a teenage girl and tell her to become a victim of human trafficking”. Christ, for all the stuff HR tells their employees that they should have learned long before they became employees in how to not act like a douchebag, I would hope we don’t have to add THAT to the list.

And yes, punishment is dealt out by an employer to an employee. That’s how society works. For a long ass time.

I don’t give a fuck how it affects “the climate” or whatever angle you’re going for. A business has a product. This moron damaged the image of said product. The business acts accordingly. That’s how reality works. Christ, Justin isn’t some naive young man fresh out of high school, once again, he’s 43! If after having lived that many years, he honestly thought texting a minor something like that would end well for him (never mind why he’s texting her anything at all!), then they’d have to recast anyway, as a genius like Rick should probably be played by someone with an IQ higher than 10.

I have zero sympathy for someone that age doing something so monumentally stupid and questionable. If he knew how employment works and how doing what he did could affect his career, well then he made his choice and can live with it. If at 43 he somehow didn’t know that, well it’s not a business’ job to teach him how life works, but really one would think if you’re going to pull a stunt like he did, you MIGHT think to contact the owners of the franchise you’re a major part of and ask, “hey, is a known name connected to Rick and Morty like me telling a minor to enter human trafficking going to affect the brand in any way?” Seems like an obvious answer to me, but hey, not for Justin, I guess. Well, hey, he decided to go for it, and he sure learned a lot!

As a wise man said not too long ago, “because the more you fuck around, the more you’re going to find out!”

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The series has been shit since season 4, but I stuck with it hoping it'll get better.

Now with the new voice actors it's just unbearable. The new PB voice is just annoying without any of the charm. Rick and Morty sound almost the same, but they're still not right and it's just distracting. Not to mention the writing is still shite.

I'm out for good this time.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
weird to call it humor
this is one of the most self-centered things anyone could say ever, especially in a thread about Rick and Morty; you get to not find something funny, but you don't get to decide what other people should find funny or not.

Last edited:

Doom85

this is one of the most self-centered things anyone could say ever, especially in a thread about Rick and Morty; you get to not find something funny, but you don't get to decide what other people should find funny or not.

Jim Carrey What GIF

Did I say anyone wasn’t allowed? I said it was weird. How the fuck do you take that and think I’m trying to dictate what people merely laugh at.

And I know I don’t decide what people find funny or not. The people who run Rick and Morty certainly made their own decision in that they don’t find making supposed jokes about finding 14 year olds attractive and sending texts telling minors to enter human trafficking with a side of homophobic slur mixed in that funny. It’s almost like some of them might have underage teenagers themselves and maybe, JUST MAYBE, don’t want to work with someone who thinks shit like that is funny and more importantly, is FORTY THREE YEARS OLD and is texting underage girls shit like that.

Roiland only co-wrote a few episodes. And voice actors get replaced all the fucking time, sometimes with zero clarification as to why the change occurred.

I’m done with this topic. If you all want to cry your little tears about a company doing something they’re fully within their rights to do and want to play defense for someone who pulls shit like this, enjoy your little tantrum. If you do respond anyway, I’d appreciate no twisting of my words this time, but honestly, save your breath.

You know, in the reality I live in, people would be more willing to make a joke about someone having cancer than they would making a joke where they go into great detail about how it should be a-okay to be attracted to teenage girls. It’s almost like even the dumbasses in our society know what will instantly get them labeled a creep and have people telling their kids not to go near that guy. But good old Justin is apparently blazing into new territory. Good for him, he should start a comedy tour and give discounts to parents in their 40-50’s and their kids who are probably of a certain age range at that point, because I’m sure they’ll love him making jokes about that.

50 cent laughing GIF

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Did I say anyone wasn’t allowed? I said it was weird. How the fuck do you take that and think I’m trying to dictate what people merely laugh at.
I never said not allowed, I said you don't get to decide what others think is funny or not, which is what you're doing by saying it is weird to be even called humour, that's a matter of fact statement where you are defining what can be humour; it's weird to be even considered humour, how can anyone laugh at this.
It's giving major karen energy with the holier than thou attitude because the joke is about something you happen to relate to, almost exactly like that episode of family guy where Brian finds out he has a son and suddenly he can't deal with anything related to kids, joke or not, because "being a parent.." [read, being insufferable]; it's especially self-centered to just assume that everyone who does consider it "humour" automatically doesn't belong to what you deem to be a special group of humourless stickbutts of having a teenage daughter.

I guess comics like Anthony jesselnick should get canceled since they joke about dead babies and shit, how could anyone possibly find that funny, it's weird to call that humour.

rkofan87

Gold Member
And businesses don’t care for excuses either. Either join a Union, or somehow get a contract that guarantees a certain length of employment. If not, well, you play with fire at your own risk. Justin knew the risks and played anyway. I don’t give a shit that he’s fired because that’s how the law works within businesses.

off t but what did depp do to get canned by wb?

K2D

Banned
Honestly, judging by the 1st and 3rd episode this season, their new VO's being off point seems like the least of their worries. The show simply comes across as uninspired - as if the writers are wholly demoralized.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I absolutely love Rick and morty normally but I can't keep focused on the new episodes when I'm watching them.

Rick and morty voices are just not the same.

Damn! 😭

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I don't mind the voices at all (I hardly notice) and I think the new episodes have been good. They're not the best episodes, but it's hardly as doom and gloom terrible as the clickbaiters would have you believe.

Blackage

There's something off about the season so far, not quite sure I can put my finger on it. I thought the new voices would be distracting but I kinda got over it quicker then I thought I would. Maybe it's the lack of one of those big plot focused canon episodes? Maybe it's that the first 3 episodes had very little actual Rick & Morty together. First episode was Rick and his shitty friends, then Rick and Jerry, then Rick and the president.

Top Bottom