• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice: I love "Rick & Morty" and I hate its fans

0jriCcE.jpg

Shitty human being has shitty taste in tv series.

Lynchian

I see people generalising and overreacting about how bad fandoms are. I think it's j just the shitty vocal minorities in each fandom that make it seem so.

Even fans of lighter, fluffier shows that preach acceptance and kindness (MLP, SU) can sometimes be the hugest assholes. They miss the point of the shows and the lessons they try to teach, and are often too busy trying to blast the creators on twitter for not doing what they want or waggling their e-peens around. A lot of people don't care that the show basically slaps them in the face with the fact that Rick is unhealthy, often suicidal and has torn his family apart countless times due to his own selfishness and complacency, hey he's smart and funny that's good enough for me to emulate and revere him!

That said, I've met a lot of awesome people in hated fandoms. A lot of the people who partake in this stuff are still acceptable levels of normal and just trying to make their fanart and fanfiction and forums in peace. The assholes just tend to get spotlights shone on them (sometimes for good reasons, harassment campaigns and bullshit like putting needles in cookies is never okay, obvs).

I think it's larger than fandom. You can see this in all sorts of groups where hypocrisy and group think end up making people hypocrite to what they tout to teach and preach and lectures others about. Religion is an obvious example- Social movements is another. "My group is about kindness and inclusiveness, so I'm gonna fuck up others I don't agree with".

Fundamentally, human beings are lazy, self centered and have an ego that is mostly about being understood and concerned about ones own feelings than others. Even if other people suffer immensely on my expense (indirectly), me not being uncomfortable is my chief concern.

It strikes me as childish that one would think that there are only one way for people to be attached to something. The idea that if the alt-right enjoys pizza, you should not enjoy pizza because pizza is co-opted by the alt-right is profoundly stupid. That what you enjoy (like R&M) overlaps for other reasons with morons who enjoy the same thing is really not a reason to disengage from the activity.

There are idiots who use South Park as their baseline for political ideology. Okay- What does that have to do with everyone else? It knee jerks me ever so hard, to see leftists piss their and acting reactive to whatever deplorable people are doing. Every time they are doing something, a good upstanding progressive have to act in accordance and be concerned about their public image.

Stand by your fucking convictions instead of categorizing yourself and others into boxes. Fandom or ideology. You're not it. It's just something you have in common with. You're not an atheist. You're not a gamer. You're not a feminist. You're not a Game of Thrones fan. There is nothing of value to derive from you summarizing yourself as being "it". You're none of those things, and what you are, doesn't fit into any fucking box that can be ticked, because you're a walking contradiction of various thoughts and your personality is basically stitched together by biased memories and habits.

We tell ourselves we're this or that we are that, to give ourself and others, a way to feel like we are understood. It's not tone policing, as the way we speak, really give us insight into our own flaws and blatant hypocrisy. We live and breathe the same bullshit in other forms, that we look down on others for. It's just in different contexts. And we're very much unaware of it a lot of the time.

So it's easy for us to shit on fandom and make fun of these people, but most of us are guilty of this in different contexts. Particularly political (here on OT GAF).

ryseing

The big list of awful fanbases:

SuperWhoLock fans
Bronies
R&M fans
J.Cole fans
Walking Dead fans
Wrestling fans (especially)
Patriots fans
Xxxtentacion fans
LoL players
Zack Snyder fans
South Park fans
Those GoT fans that make podcasts all about what the fuck Jon Snow or whoever the fuck ate for breakfast that one time in season 20, episode 4
Prequels fans
PewDiePie fans

With Trump fans obviously getting the gold medal

You forgot Penn State fans. It's a cult. Even located in a place with a name that sounds like a cult would be there.

Yeah.

My problem, are the people who say "It's so smart, because it's so dark and cynical".

No, the show is a lot more than just dark. It's a great show with a lot of awesome sci-fi themes that don't get explored a lot on tv.

But I'm just happy that more people enjoy it.

Kind of sad though that Arrested Development didn't get the same sizable fanbase.

The show also has some great Dan Harmon sentimental moments that the fandom mostly overlooks or calls a distraction when it takes away from their edgey sci-fi comedy moments.

I see people generalising and overreacting about how bad fandoms are. I think it's j just the shitty vocal minorities in each fandom that make it seem so.
Well the vocal minority seems to be extremely vocal. To the point where some new people are weary about watching the show because of them. They're everywhere and it's legit fucked up.

The same neckbeard types who have nothing better to do than stalk women all day. They have such small self awareness. They think themselves Ricks when they are Jerrys.

I don’t feel like any of the characters are that relatable, which is kinda my biggest problem with the show. I mean how can you relate to anyone in the show? But I like it.

Now Futurama, that’s a good sci-fi cartoon.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
At least those Rick and Morty fans aren't harassing anyone for saying something stupid about a tv show they like, like people are doing to the Real Ricks facebook group.

Worst thing about the internet is that as it becomes popular to make fun of things like this, there's always going to be that handful of hateful idiots who take things way too far.

I really need people to stop telling me to watch Rick and fucking Morty. It's so obnoxious. I get it, it's the best thing that's ever happened to you in your life. I'm still not gonna fucking watch it.

Amalthea

Banned
At least those Rick and Morty fans aren't harassing anyone for saying something stupid about a tv show they like, like people are doing to the Real Ricks facebook group.

Worst thing about the internet is that as it becomes popular to make fun of things like this, there's always going to be that handful of hateful idiots who take things way too far.
I just had to look this up. Oh my cringe!

Audioboxer

Bad people like things that good people like, so I will nuke a whole fanbase because I can find examples of these bad people.

I don't know how many times it needs to be pointed out good people cannot have an exclusivity over all the tv shows, movies, games and other entertainment media out there. It doesn't matter how much you want it to be that what you like will be for you, your best friends, and a collection of cool people only on the internet.

When you go online and go on social media you will see every sort of person imaginable and what their interests, hobbies and likes are. No surprises that "bad people" like to laugh, as finding a way to laugh or be amused is a pretty basic goal in most peoples lives. Find a way to separate that from entertainment, or you'll find yourself in an increasing state of moral panic every time you find out someone mean/bad on the internet likes something you do. It'll be you who makes yourself suffer thinking "damn I hate so many fans of this show... so I now must hate the show and appear online as if I hate it to show that I don't support bad people".

Otherwise, we reach the stage of maximum internet hyperbole where cartoons are said to be responsible for the downfall of humanity/global politics and war. It's not the shows, games, comedians or whatever responsible for the behaviour of individuals. Sure, most people can eventually admit that (even although blogs still write articles saying shows are responsible for all the ills in the world), but you derail your own hobbies and interests when and if you get so consumed by knowing bad people like things you like. Chill out, enjoy what you like and stop caring so much if some asshole halfway around the world likes something you do. It's unavoidable.

This isn't a "you can't criticise people" post, it's some basic generic advice for some who really do seem to lose it if they can find examples of horrible people liking something they like.

Bad people like things that good people like, so I will nuke a whole fanbase because I can find examples of these bad people.

I don't know how many times it needs to be pointed out good people cannot have an exclusivity over all the tv shows, movies, games and other entertainment media out there. It doesn't matter how much you want it to be that what you like will be for you, your best friends, and a collection of cool people only on the internet.

When you go online and go on social media you will see every sort of person imaginable and what their interests, hobbies and likes are. No surprises that "bad people" like to laugh, as finding a way to laugh or be amused is a pretty basic goal in most peoples lives. Find a way to separate that from entertainment, or you'll find yourself in an increasing state of moral panic every time you find out someone mean/bad on the internet likes something you do. It'll be you who makes yourself suffer thinking "damn I hate so many fans of this show... so I now must hate the show and appear online as if I hate it to show that I don't support bad people".

Otherwise, we reach the stage of maximum internet hyperbole where cartoons are said to be responsible for the downfall of humanity/global politics and war. It's not the shows, games, comedians or whatever responsible for the behaviour of individuals. Sure, most people can eventually admit that (even although blogs still write articles saying shows are responsible for all the ills in the world), but you derail your own hobbies and interests when and if you get so consumed by knowing bad people like things you like. Chill out, enjoy what you like and stop caring so much if some asshole halfway around the world likes something you do. It's unavoidable.

This isn't a "you can't criticise people" post, it's some basic generic advice for some who really do seem to lose it if they can find examples of horrible people liking something they like.
While Vigilant Walrus made the same point as you, at least you didn't start equating fandoms to political ideologies and go on a screed against identity politics :p
I think it's larger than fandom. You can see this in all sorts of groups where hypocrisy and group think end up making people hypocrite to what they tout to teach and preach and lectures others about. Religion is an obvious example- Social movements is another. "My group is about kindness and inclusiveness, so I'm gonna fuck up others I don't agree with".

Fundamentally, human beings are lazy, self centered and have an ego that is mostly about being understood and concerned about ones own feelings than others. Even if other people suffer immensely on my expense (indirectly), me not being uncomfortable is my chief concern.

It strikes me as childish that one would think that there are only one way for people to be attached to something. The idea that if the alt-right enjoys pizza, you should not enjoy pizza because pizza is co-opted by the alt-right is profoundly stupid. That what you enjoy (like R&M) overlaps for other reasons with morons who enjoy the same thing is really not a reason to disengage from the activity.

There are idiots who use South Park as their baseline for political ideology. Okay- What does that have to do with everyone else? It knee jerks me ever so hard, to see leftists piss their and acting reactive to whatever deplorable people are doing. Every time they are doing something, a good upstanding progressive have to act in accordance and be concerned about their public image.

Stand by your fucking convictions instead of categorizing yourself and others into boxes. Fandom or ideology. You're not it. It's just something you have in common with. You're not an atheist. You're not a gamer. You're not a feminist. You're not a Game of Thrones fan. There is nothing of value to derive from you summarizing yourself as being "it". You're none of those things, and what you are, doesn't fit into any fucking box that can be ticked, because you're a walking contradiction of various thoughts and your personality is basically stitched together by biased memories and habits.

We tell ourselves we're this or that we are that, to give ourself and others, a way to feel like we are understood. It's not tone policing, as the way we speak, really give us insight into our own flaws and blatant hypocrisy. We live and breathe the same bullshit in other forms, that we look down on others for. It's just in different contexts. And we're very much unaware of it a lot of the time.

So it's easy for us to shit on fandom and make fun of these people, but most of us are guilty of this in different contexts. Particularly political (here on OT GAF).

deli2000

I just knew somebody would take this article and spin into some bullshit tangent about group theory and how identifying with a political ideology makes you an idiot or whatever. We get it, you hate identity politics. This isn't a smart or well-observed point and has been made in countless threads before. It's not any more resonant because it's 5 paragraphs long this time. This is exactly the thing you'd read from the type of annoying R&M fan this article is talking about.

Unit 33

I've met jerks that share my interest in X, that does not mean that all people that like X other than me are jerks.

Audioboxer

While Vigilant Walrus made the same point as you, at least you didn't start equating fandoms to political ideologies and go on a screed against identity politics :p

If by identity politics you meant things you hold close to you not being perceived as compatible with you for a show/game/movie or whatever, that's cool. No one should watch things or be part of hobbies they don't like/don't find compatible with their beliefs.

My advice was more so for people who do like the shows or hobbies in question. Thanks to the modern world being internet connected/social media, you stumble across nasty people who like what you like and then that makes you feel conflicted to carry on enjoying something. That's not how anyone should live their life with their interests/hobbies, as it's near impossible not to find some asshat who likes something you do (but sure, some fandoms have larger concentrations of said asshats). Gaming is one, but it's not going to stop me being a gamer. Gaming like comedy is just that universal as no matter who you are and how much of an asshat you might be, people like to have fun and laugh.

I hate all these people that constantly whine about other people enjoying stuff.

Annoying fans have been around forever, complaining about them does nothing but make you look petty.

sibarraz

Banned
How is the light saber story related to rick and morty fanbase? or it was just an example of how mean people can be on the internet

I hate all these people that constantly whine about other people enjoying stuff.

Annoying fans have been around forever, complaining about them does nothing but make you look petty.

Yeah, but those fans can actually influence how that medium/TV-show is seen in the eyes of other people.

Thats why I posted the "anime" comparison a few pages back. The whole medium has a negative connection because of the loudest and most obnoxious people.

LordRaptor

I think it stems from the fact R&M is fairly unusual in that usually when you have an egotistical self-centred asshole in a sitcom - because theres a rich comedic well in such characters - they're usually portrayed as an antagonist to the 'hero' character, or as the eventual butt of jokes in a kind of karmic payback.

Whereas in R&M Rick is constantly portrayed as 'winning', even where the subtext is pretty clear he's not a 'hero'. Or even where the show is explicit in saying "this guy isn't an awesome dude you want to be like" and people seem to gloss over that.

Violet_0

Banned
I think it stems from the fact R&M is fairly unusual in that usually when you have an egotistical self-centred asshole in a sitcom - because theres a rich comedic well in such characters - they're usually portrayed as an antagonist to the 'hero' character, or as the eventual butt of jokes in a kind of karmic payback

I offer Always Sunny, Big Bang Theory (Sheldon) as counter examples, there are probably lots more
the audience doesn't necassarily need or identify with the "vanilla protagonist" archtype anymore, deeply flawed protagonists are hugely popular
Rick and Morty is a moderately diverting show that has become held up as "great art", it's utterly bizarre.
where do you get that from? It's a quality, funny, innovative show. Some people don't see it that way, great, whatever

Rick & Morty isn't even that smart to begin with. It's funny, but it's not deep. It's not even that satirical. It may have moments of self-aware poignancy, but that does not make it a "smart show". The creators have even said they aim to keep it a simple chucklefest.

I just assume huge R&M fans haven't seen similar shows before.

Like how I assume people who think Donnie Darko is the greatest movie ever just hadn't seen anything like it before hand.

I only assume this is why Matrix fans can be so annoying.

Rick and Morty's fan base is especially bad because the show encourages really shallow thinking and presents them as smart positions. It's like reading Notch's twitter page.

yup.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Rick and Morty is a moderately diverting show that has become held up as "great art", it's utterly bizarre.

It's a great show and TV is art. Not sure why that's bizarre.
Rick and Morty's fan base is especially bad because the show encourages really shallow thinking and presents them as smart positions. It's like reading Notch's twitter page.

I think the big difference, and it's one that some Rick and Morty fans seem not understand, is that the show doesn't think Rick's point of view is one that people should aspire to have. He isn't a hero, he is the villain, so much so, that he has ruined billions of lives throughout hundreds of universes. Dude is a grade-a-piece of shit.

jstripes

Banned
PICKLE RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK YEAH

My theory on the Pickle Rick thing is that was an experiment on their fanbase. They distilled Rick's extremely broken personality down into something memeable just to see what happens.

When people yell "PICKLE RICK!!!!", they're actually yelling "I ruin every interpersonal relationship I have and refuse to face responsibility!" without realizing it.

I just knew somebody would take this article and spin into some bullshit tangent about group theory and how identifying with a political ideology makes you an idiot or whatever. We get it, you hate identity politics. This isn't a smart or well-observed point and has been made in countless threads before. It's not any more resonant because it's 5 paragraphs long this time. This is exactly the thing you'd read from the type of annoying R&M fan this article is talking about.

Just because something has been pointed out before doesn't make it not true. People are going to keep pointing out the cannibalization of groupthink onto one another in a hypocrite manner. Pointing out that, that exist in all levels of society on a micro and macro based level, is not some fringe idea.
I never claimed people who believe in a political ideology are idiots, or that pointing out the obvious is a well observed point. The fact that you seemingly read this garbage into it, just tells me it hits a nerve in you- A nerve you cannot really understand which prompts you to post drive-by shitposts.

Secondly, nothing I have said is related to "annoying R&M fans who make fun of middle aged guys replica lightsaber". This is just you shitposting and trying to reframe an argument you don't like by acting dense.

LordRaptor

I offer Always Sunny, Big Bang Theory (Sheldon) as counter examples, there are probably lots more
the audience doesn't necassarily need or identify with the "vanilla protagonist" archtype anymore, deeply flawed protagonists are hugely popular

I don't watch TBBT but AFAICS everyone in it thinks sheldon is a cunt.
Likewise the always sunny crew are all deeply flawed and you in no way come away thinking "wow, thats the life to be living".

And there are more - Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The IT Crowd, The Young Ones - most of the humour comes from degrees of shitty people doing degrees of shitty things, but in classic sitcom style, theres a staus quo that most of the shitty things that happen to them are directly because of their why theyre shitty people, and their lives aren't exactly enviable.

R&M doesn't really follow that.
Its more like if The Simpsons was all about Mr Burns, and all the wacky plans Monty Burns comes up with to stay rich and powerful at the expense of everyone else, and how it pays off each week. And sure, there might be some subtext that sure, hes a rich and powerful man, but hes also old and alone and the only companionship he has is a much younger sycophant who loves him but sometimes calls him out on his bullshit, but he never really changes.

I mean... its a weird dynamic for a sitcom, and it is funny, but I can see why some people are thinking "wow, Ricks awesome, he can do anything he wants and not give a fuck, what a bad ass!"

jstripes

Banned
R&M doesn't really follow that.
Its more like if The Simpsons was all about Mr Burns, and all the wacky plans Monty Burns comes up with to stay rich and powerful at the expense of everyone else, and how it pays off each week. And sure, there might be some subtext that sure, hes a rich and powerful man, but hes also old and alone and the only companionship he has is a much younger sycophant who loves him but sometimes calls him out on his bullshit, but he never really changes.

I mean... its a weird dynamic for a sitcom, and it is funny, but I can see why some people are thinking "wow, Ricks awesome, he can do anything he wants and not give a fuck, what a bad ass!"

Nah, it's not like that at all. Monty Burns is quite pleased with himself most of the time, and usually feels fulfilled by his terrible actions. Rick is trying to fill a terrible void, and in the end gains no satisfaction from his actions.

If you think Rick is simply enjoying himself, you're seeing it wrong, and it seems a lot of people are.

Timeaisis

This is why I can't do fandoms. They identify themselves wholly as such and make it their whole schtick like...

People wear what they like as their identity and get too wrapped up in it. Chill, just enjoy shit to enjoy it.

Yeah, this is what I mean.

LordRaptor

Nah, it's not like that at all. Monty Burns is quite pleased with himself most of the time, and usually feels fulfilled by his terrible actions. Rick is trying to fill a terrible void, and in the end gains no satisfaction from his actions.

If you think Rick is simply enjoying himself, you're seeing it wrong, and it seems a lot of people are.

Okay, thats the convenient-exposition-man translating "wubbalubadubdub" for us mere mortals into "2Deep4U".

Counterpoint: He gets drunk and Ozymandiases the expy justice league and his comeuppance is... a huge party where hes the star.

Lets not pretend there aren't at the least mixed messages there.

The problem isn’t just Rick and Morty fans. It's fandom period.

It’s why you can’t pull out an Android phone without an iPhone user telling you you’re using a shit phone.

It’s why you can’t start an Apple thread here without a hundred driveby posts about how Apple is shit and Android or Windows or whatever is better.

It’s why so many Penn State fans defend JoePa despite what we know about what he knew.

It’s why people fight over sports teams.

It’s why people argue over which console is better.

It’s why you can’t go into a rap thread and say you like Eminem or Jay-Z or basically anyone without fans of another rapper telling you you’re wrong.

The things I like are the only correct things to like. If you disagree, I will make fun of you and shout you down until you either agree or give up. My likes are a part of my identity; a part of my soul. And your identity just doesn’t matter.

Okay, thats the convenient-exposition-man translating "wubbalubadubdub" for us mere mortals into "2Deep4U".

Counterpoint: He gets drunk and Ozymandiases the expy justice league and his comeuppance is... a huge party where hes the star.

Lets not pretend there aren't at the least mixed messages there.

Yeah, rick does seem to go through both existential angst and at the same time; a carefree form of unapologetic hedonism. Many of the episodes are derived from a hopeless sense of nihilism. There are infinite universes that makes ordinary life seem redundant and pointless.

wbEMX

While I occasionally use some of the lines of the show just for fun, I do agree that the constant spouting of memes is freaking annoying and the R&M fandom is one of the worst offenders of this right now.

deli2000

Just because something has been pointed out before doesn't make it not true. People are going to keep pointing out the cannibalization of groupthink onto one another in a hypocrite manner. Pointing out that, that exist in all levels of society on a micro and macro based level, is not some fringe idea.
I never claimed people who believe in a political ideology are idiots, or that pointing out the obvious is a well observed point. The fact that you seemingly read this garbage into it, just tells me it hits a nerve in you- A nerve you cannot really understand which prompts you to post drive-by shitposts.

Secondly, nothing I have said is related to "annoying R&M fans who make fun of middle aged guys replica lightsaber". This is just you shitposting and trying to reframe an argument you don't like by acting dense.

I don't know why you're going after people for bringing up political ideology since you're the person who pivoted the argument from annoying fandoms to that in the first place. That's what i'm pushing back against. Because it's taking someone's legitimate grievances and turning it into a holier than thou treatise of the hypocrisy of groupthink. I very much disagree with what you're talking about, so that's the apparent nerve that's being hit, i'll agree with that then. There is nothing inherently bad or toxic about cultural groups in a lot of contexts. There's nothing 'hypocritical' about calling out the bad aspects of fandoms just because I identify with another group of people. That's painting things with a broad brush so you can look down on everyone. Well done I guess. And I don't see how my post was in any way more of a shitpost than yours other than the fact it was shorter. I am quite dense, i'll give you that, but i'm not a shitposter just because I disagreed with you.

Barrage

I've thought about toxic fandoms,and what they may have in common. Here's a theory I have.

A lot of toxic fandoms correlate around shows that are subversive, and have a secondary appeal beyond the primary fanbase the cater to and the primary show they're trying to be. Thus the Toxic Fan believes that they are watching something in a "better", more "full way. It's easier to watch a show aimed at children with themes for teens than it is to tackle an actual adult work.

"They SAY My Little Pony is a kid's show. I don't watch it that way. I get a more full experience."

The fanbase for Law and Order, or NCIS are less gross because everyone pretty much watches them in the same way.

Rick and Morty is absolutely packed with these kinds of "pat yourself on the back" things to commend yourself for noticing (even though they're not hidden in any way). The Nihilism beyond the jokes, the Serialized narritive beats beyond the episodic plots, the constant fourth wall-breaking and deconstruction of tropes. Rick is RedLetterMediaing his own universe.

The reason Wrestling (which I love) has such a toxic fanbase is, I think, in part because the "A" reason you're supposed to be watching it ( Professional athletes ostensibly competing) is pretty much dead in 2017. So there's pretty much no moments where you're ever honestly interacting with the show. Watching WWE with hardcore fans happens in this weird limbo where everyone is constantly predicting what's about to happen, what this means for the future, and what-backstage-led to what's currently happening. It can become very detached and cynical.

Top Bottom