• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice: I love "Rick & Morty" and I hate its fans

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily fromNarodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

Joke post?

jstripes

Banned
I don't get it. R&M is a show for intelligent people? I love the show, but I've never even thought of it like that. It's just a very funny, smart (but not "you need to be a theoretical physicist to get it" smart) cartoon.

It's a Steve Bannon thing. It's them trying to suck their own dicks.

"You have to be intelligent to appreciate Rick and Morty, and I appreciate Rick and Morty, therefore I am intelligent."

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily fromNarodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.
Is this a meme?

Arrested Development did like 4x ratings of rick and morty and has a huge cult following

Cult following, yes, but you can analyze how fucking good AD is on at least the same level of Rick and Morty, and yet no one talks about AD.

I wonder how it would've been like if AD aired today, considering that AD and RM are both very cerebral shows.

I'm just rambling here, but my point is that I feel AD didn't get enough attention, and that RM is getting so much more attention (could be because the internet is bigger nowadays).

It's sad, because I have so many friends who love RM, and when I say "Hey, you should also check out Community and AD if you want some more smart comedy", they all dismiss them because they don't really have the edge RM does.

/slumbering rant

Rick and Morty is great, really well written, distilled dowm to "wubba libba dub dub", Pickle Rick and "Get Schwifty" being used out of context.

Cult following, yes, but you can analyze how fucking good AD is on at least the same level of Rick and Morty, and yet no one talks about AD.

I wonder how it would've been like if AD aired today, considering that AD and RM are both very cerebral shows.

I'm just rambling here, but my point is that I feel AD didn't get enough attention, and that RM is getting so much more attention (could be because the internet is bigger nowadays).

It's sad, because I have so many friends who love RM, and when I say "Hey, you should also check out Community and AD if you want some more smart comedy", they all dismiss them because they don't really have the edge RM does.

/slumbering rant
Hearing about anyone dismissing Arrested Development and not giving it a shot makes me a sad panda. Especially if they like that quick wit of Rick and Morty.

Rick and Morty is great, really well written, distilled dowm to "wubba libba dub dub", Pickle Rick and "Get Schwifty" being used out of context.
Gof, I hate wubba lubba dub dub and get scwifty.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ironically people excitedly embracing Pickle Rick seem to have completely missed the point of that episode, which is impressive considering how explicit the text gets at the end

My problem with Rick and Morty is that its fans still seem to think this is an underground show that nobody's watching like Dan Harmon's last show. Also they run every single joke to the ground.
Also Bojack Horseman is better.

Afrodium

Banned
The funny thing about R&M is that it isn't really intellectual so much as just clever. Sure, it'll do a semi-deep monologue every now and then, but mostly the "smartness" of it is just interesting sci-fi ideas. I feel like it has pretty damn broad appeal.

This is my take as well. I think the show is cool and has a lot of fun and inventive sci-fi premises for the episodes, but the actual content isn't super intellectual or anything. Is it just high concept sci-fi that people find so intelligent? They should check of comic books.

I like Rick and Morty a fair bit, for both its smart and dumb humour. I haven't really encountered the fandom though, because I just watch the show and leave it there. Maybe drop into a thread for a little bit. Sounds like I made the right choice.

I didn't even know Pickle Rick is a popular thing.
It's strange that we don't see the same character idol worship with AD that we've seen for so many other shows...probably because the characters as so blatantly narcissistic and idiotic.

inb4 avatar quote
Yeah

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I find this annoying because Rick and Morty is super popular and I don't think their fans are typified by any behavior.

Acerac

Banned
This seems to happen to whatever thing I end up enjoying. *avatar quote*

I've learned to accept that it's pretty dumb to judge large groups by the worst members of said populations, but people are going to do it anyways.

I actually wonder how that show became so big? During the first season "no one" really cared.
Now it feels like a "meme-territory" show.

It felt like with season 3 it blew up really big, at least online. You had a lot of hype and thousands of memes like "Sichuan Sauce", "Pickle Rick", "Get schwifty" etc. It really felt this year it became big (in my experience).

My problem with Rick and Morty is that its fans still seem to think this is an underground show that nobody's watching like Dan Harmon's last show. Also they run every single joke to the ground.
Also Bojack Horseman is better.

But no one really quoted Community or even Bojack now. You have so many "meme quotes" of Rick and Morty, people kinda acting like when BBT started airing and saying how only they understand the jokes etc.
You dont really have this:

community-2.gif

Becoming a "meme".

I've learned to accept that it's pretty dumb to judge large groups by the worst members of said populations, but people are going to do it anyways.

The thing is that the worst members are often the loudest and can even go as far as ruining the image a certain medium/TV-show etc. has. People think 99% of anime are trash, because people talk about how FMA:B is the best Shounen show ever or how Ecchi-anime are the pinaccle of art.

I really like Rick and Morty, and yeah, I'm also annoyed by its fans. I found a 20 year old hot topic gift card, so I took it to a somewhat local mall and went in. First of all, nigh unbearable being in there. Oversaturated geek tat. Bunch of junk. Heard someone who worked there describe how good the newest episode was over and over to random people.

I mentioned I didn't care for a few of the episodes in season three in the main Rick and Morty thread, was suspected of being in cahoots with some anti female writers thing, which I didn't know anything about, or even paid attention to writer credits, until that moment. Season 3 episodes 2,3, and especially 4 aren't up to snuff, but the rest I've seen have been great.

I don't go in there anymore, just briefly did, but can't stand seeing people talk about how funny a certain moment was. Or idolizing Rick. It gets old quick.

I think the only person I care to talk about the show with is my brother, and usually it begins and ends at 'did you see the new Rick and Morty? It was gooood'

But I'm sure my opinion about the show would be just as annoying to the next guy. My advice, don't ruin things ou love by observing intolerable fans. This applies to video games too.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Dan Harmon will regret this whole thing when Trump comes out and tweets,"WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB"

This seems to happen to whatever thing I end up enjoying. *avatar quote*

It's not that I think undertale or rick and morty fans are largely bad.

It's that when i tried to play undertale or watch rick and morty it was such a distraction that i hated the hour I gave to each.

Not

Banned
I'm a Rick and Morty fan! I acknowledge the toxicity created by dumb people who were engineered in a patriarchal, xenophobic society with poor educational standards, while managing to not get my feelings hurt over negative generalizations of the entire fanbase!

LOOK AT ME

I'm not really familiar with Rick & Morty but I don't see how the quoted anecdote is indicative of a larger problem with this particular fanbase. It just sounds like a group of dicks being dicks to someone.

LordRaptor

But no one really quoted Community or even Bojack now. You have so many "meme quotes" of Rick and Morty, people kinda acting like when BBT started airing and saying how only they understand the jokes etc.

community-2.gif

Becoming a "meme".

Replace that image with one of troy barnes carrying pizza into a room on fire and see how wrong you are. Or Ben Chang looking at a post it note.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Remember when Gaffers used to gif literally every second of Community and everyone hated the show 'cus of it?

community-2.gif

Becoming a "meme".

The only reason why people don't quote Community is cause no one watched it cause NBC didn't give it any promotion. Adult Swim pushes Rick and Morty hard and it built up a major audience.

gun_haver

Remember when Gaffers used to gif literally every second of Community and everyone hated the show 'cus of it?

not really, and i'm glad i don't. that show sucked watching it unimpeded.

this? this is a murder of a reasonably good comedy show with cool sci-fi themes for absolutely no fuckin reason.

/slumbering rant
I think you are elevating AD too much here.

Top Bottom